Actress Farrah Fawcett

CeCiMom

Courtesy of; CNN

Farrah Fawcett, sex symbol and actress, dies

art_farrah_fawcett_gi.jpg

(CNN) -- Farrah Fawcett, the blonde-maned actress whose best-selling poster and "Charlie's Angels" stardom made her one of the most famous faces in the world, has died. She was 62.

Farrah Fawcett rose to fame in the 1970s, thanks to a best-selling poster and the hit show "Charlie Angels."

Fawcett, who checked into a Los Angeles, California, hospital in early April, had been battling anal cancer on and off for three years.

Ryan O'Neal, Fawcett's romantic partner since the mid-1980s, recently told People magazine that the sex symbol was declining.

"She stays in bed now. The doctors see that she is comfortable. Farrah is on IVs, but some of that is for nourishment. The treatment has pretty much ended," he said in a story posted May 7.

Fawcett's cancer journey has been documented in a television special partly shot by the actress. Fawcett began shooting "Farrah's Story," by taking a camera to a doctor's appointment. Eventually, the film expanded to include trips overseas in hopes of treating the cancer.

The documentary aired on NBC on May 15.

Fawcett's beauty -- her gleaming smile was printed on millions of posters -- initially made her famous. But she later established herself as a serious actress. She starred as a battered wife in the 1984 TV movie "The Burning Bed." She appeared on stage as a woman who extracts vengeance from a would-be rapist in William Mastrosimone's play "Extremities." Watch Fawcett accept her star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame

rip

How sad. Cancer can be such a horrible thing to deal with. I took care of my mother her last year of life until she died at age 55.

RIP Farrah you were a unique interesting person.

Oh my gosh, this Barbar Wawa special on Farrah is just heartbreaking. Ryan O'Neal is just touching my heart the way he talks about her and how much he loved her. What a shame they weren't able to marry before she passed - she had said she would, but she never was well enough to carry it out. And it's so reminescent of Ryan in Love Story....yeah, I'm old enough to have LOVED that movie, even though it would break your heart to watch it.

I thought I was the unluckiest person in the world. Yesterday should have been all about Farrah. What an unlucky lottery to lose dying on the same day as Michael Jackson. My internet homepage is filled with Michael. You have to scroll down to find that Farrah's death is relegated to the celebrity news section.

I thought I was the unluckiest person in the world. Yesterday should have been all about Farrah. What an unlucky lottery to lose dying on the same day as Michael Jackson. My internet homepage is filled with Michael. You have to scroll down to find that Farrah's death is relegated to the celebrity news section.

I was thinking the same thing. If the BW special hadn't already been planned for last night, she wouldn't have even had that.

I think she's getting less coverage because it wasn't a surprise the way Michael's death was. For weeks now she's been in the papers, magazines, and entertainment shows with regards to her horrible battle. We all knew it was coming, we just didn't know when. If you told me yesterday that someone "big" was going to die, a legend at that, I never, ever would have in a million years, thought it was going to be Michael Jackson.

I was 9 or 10 when Charlies Angels came out...

Farrah's death has struck me deeper than Michael's because she was who I wanted to be (in theory) when I grew up. A beautiful, sexy, Independent woman who could kick some ass and do it with great hair. :animated_rotfl:

I remember watching and specifically thinking it was okay to be an intelligent woman and beautiful at the same time. At the age of 8 I had a terrible thing happen to me and the fact that these women were fighting for justice and for good people made me feel more empowered than I had been feeling for a couple years.

As I grew up I led my own life and forgot about old tv shows (Good times was a huge impact on my life too). As I look back I realized that show was more a part of me than I had thought.

I didn't have children until I was 32; I had a career, lived some crazy life stuff (subjective crazy :lol: ) and then settled down. It not a duplicate life of Jill Munroe but, it's what I imagine for that tv character. Career, living life, falling in love and then settling down with children. It's not a magic recipe' but, it's worked for me. :D

I appreciate what Farrah brought to that role and it meant a lot to this young lady.

RIP

I was very young too Ceci and I had the Charlies Angels action figures... I wish I still did... She will be missed... She was a great actress...

I was fortunate that I could actually have the Farrah hairdo. I've always had thick hair and had it layered and feathered for several years. I really enjoyed Charlie's Angels. I had been out of high school for a few years when it came on television. I too was always drawn to TV shows which had strong women characters. IMO they were few and far between in those days. The three of those women pulled it off pretty darn well if you ask me, lol

I'm glad she's no longer in pain but I sure do admire her strength and tenacity throughout this difficult time in her life.

Thank you Farrah for being such a strong symbol for all women.

• 2 weeks later...
I feel so bad that she is getting so overshadowed by Michael..

I agree only Michael Jackson would get a funeral that ended up costing the city of LA 30 million dollars and the Jackson's will most likely skip out on the bill. They are good at that, a few years ago Latoya was here in Reno and stayed at the Reno Hilton and skipped out on the bill and the last I heard the lawsuit against Latoya is still pending.