Dade

Courtesy of: REALITYBLURRED

Fifth season of So You Think You Can Dance debuts tonight

Tonight, Fox debuts the first of this year

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The 2 brothers from Colorado danced together. So did the weird Brooklyn duo. There was no need for Nigel & Mary's comments. They did the right thing by having them stick around for the choreography round and ended up judging them individually anyway.

OMG! The young woman with the Spinal Deformity! My wife and I both sat there with tears rolling down our cheeks. I was impressed with that young woman's courage. During the intro while she was describing how she's laughed at everyday of her life ... grrrrr.

Courtesy of: TV GUIDE, TV SHOW RECAPS

So You Think You Can Dance Episode Recap: "Brooklyn and Denver Auditions"

May 22, 2009 08:37 AM ET by Kara Howland

It's that time of year again! Season 5 of So You Think You Can Dance kicks off with two hours of auditions. Was it just me or was this audition show a little less painful than usual? As many of you know (and the rest of you will learn), I don't enjoy these early shows. I love great dancing, but if I wanted to watch it being done badly, I'd watch Dancing with the Stars. Oh snap. Kidding. Sort of. Our first two pit stops on the audition train (on the way to hot tamale town) are Brooklyn and Denver.

Oh, and it might be good to recap the judge's process in case you've forgotten or you're new. If the judges like what they see during the solo or after choreography the dancer is sent to Vegas. If they don't like what they see, the dancer is sent home. Let's get started.

Brooklyn

Courtesy of: REALITY TV MAGAZINE

So You Think You Can Dance Auditions in Miami and Memphis

May 28, 2009 11:01:52 by DA Southern

So You Think You Can Dance begins its second big night of auditions with a trip south to Miami for what will sure to be lots of salsa dancing, or at least eating by the judges. Last week in the first episode we got to see some familiar faces in Brandon Bryant and Natalie Reid, who were eliminated in Vegas week on the last day. If nothing else, having gone through the pressure of what Vegas Week is, we definitely look to see them go through this season barring some injury.

Mary and Nigel are joined by the ever-so-popular, Tyce Diorio, whose name I constantly have to look up to make sure I am getting it right, as they weed out the good from the bad in the spicy town of Miami. One thing is for sure about Tyce, the guy is never afraid to say what he feels.

As usual, we hit on the interesting both good and bad as the dancers zoom past us at a fairly rapid clip. We had to laugh at Tony a dancer who though it might be good to bring back the 80

I love Evan and Ryan! Brothers audition for SYTYCD

Courtesy of; TV GUIDE, TV SHOW RECAPS

So You Think You Can Dance Episode Recap: Los Angeles and Seattle Auditions

May 29, 2009 08:22 AM ET by Kara Howland

In this episode, the So You Think You Can Dance audition train rolled through Los Angeles before coming to a final stop in Seattle. But perhaps this train metaphor should be more of a roller coaster metaphor. The excitement and thrills of a Los Angeles loop de loop did not prepare me for the stomach-in-my-throat terror plunge into Seattle. When Nigel has to give you a pep talk before you even get on the ride, you know you're in trouble. Despite that, there were some nice moments.

Los Angeles: Day 1

At the judge's table, Nigel and Mary are joined by Adam Shankman. Can we talk about how much I enjoy Adam? I think he brings something very interesting and unique to the show as a judge and choreographer, and I just like him. I do feel the need to disclose that I once saw him outside LA Fitness on Hollywood Blvd. I might have told him I loved him, but not in a stalker way. He might have taken it very well and given me a big smile. I'm just saying.

It was also nice to see Joshua, Katee, and Comfort take over for our regular judges

I give this show props for condensing their audition process. It's interesting, but doesn't need to go on forever like AI did.

I am over Mia Michaels. I thought she was awfully full of herself tonight. I get that they don't need to be treated with kid gloves, but I thought she was nasty just to be nasty, and because she had that 'I'm Mia Michaels -- I invented dance' kind of attitude.

She'll probably choreograph something this season that I will love, but I am still sick of her, and I didn't like her flailing, jerky thing they had to dance from her for the auditions.

I am sad Natalie got cut- really sad.

I like the brothers, but I'm sure they will have them be the last 2 men standing, with only 1 making it to the finals. Yeah -- it's dramatic. But it's so predictable of them.. yawn.

I love Mia Michels. It's refreshing to have a judge on a reality TV show NOT sugarcoat crap just because a contestant looks good or has a good personality. She bases her decisions strictly on the dancing. I think Nigel & Mary give too many of them too many chances because they like their solo. Gabrielle got too many chances last night before finally being cut.

Mia may come across as harsh, but it's needed to balance out the sentimentality of Nigel & Mary.

It was like they held some dancers to a higher standard--- if they thought their audition was amazing, or were impressed by their training, they expected them to be superspecialawesome every time.

And then, like you said, some got the chance to dance for their lives, while others were just cut.....

I guess it's good that the fans get to vote. I know the judges still have their say, but it's too hard, apparently, for them to remain objective. Dancing is too subjective for that anyway. And it's 'America's favorite dancer', not 'America's best dancer'.

It seems like many of them, that they focused on during auditions, have already been cut. So maybe the final 20 will be strangers, for the most part. It is kind of unfair, for those dancers who get their entire life story told, and get a lot of face time during auditions, compared to those who we really don't see at all. It kind of makes me wonder if that one blond sister, who made the final 16 girls, or either of the Broadway brothers, will make the final cut. Just because we've seen a lot of them already... I hope not, but I can get kind of cynical as to how these shows work. I know they aren't above manipulation.

Courtesy of: REALTIY TV MAGAZINE

So You Think You Can Dance Vegas Callbacks

June 3, 2009 08:52:48 by DA Southern

So You Think You Can Dance heads into hell week, commonly know as Vegas Callbacks

I agree with both of you. I was VERY put off with the "You've really disappointed us! We expected so much more from you" bullsh!t! Judge them on how they did in comparison with the others on the stage, not that they didn't live up to your expectations. And I love Mia's choreography, but STFU with the crude remarks!

I feel bad for that awesome dude who wasn't able to participate in the top 20 because of his ballet contract. He was going to be my pick to win too..blah!!

This season looks like a real drag so far. There's no one I really want to cheer on... yet anyhow.

I didn't get Mia and her problem with Brandon. I thought she was very unprofessional. She had not constructive critique -- she just basically said she couldn't stand him.

That whole bit seemed more like a pissing contest between Mia and Mary / Debbie.

Personally, I don't really like Brandon that much either. But I think for me, it's mostly because of those spandex, shorts things he wears. They rank right up their with speedos, only more effeminate. And I totally will own that this is my personal hang up -- has nothing to do with his dancing, and is very shallow. But I don't know enough about dancing to critique anyone seriously. I only know what I like, and if I don't like someone's clothes, or their looks in general, it doesn't really effect much. But Mia's opinion holds considerably more weight, and I think she ought to have more concrete reasons for cutting someone down like that. She was just so bitchy---and like I said -- it was very unprofessional.

Eh -- it's probably all set up to bring more drama when Mia choreographs him, or when Mia finally sees what she wants to see from him.... Yeah, I'm cynical.

I also thought the situation with the guy who had the ballet contract odd. Wouldn't he know he was under contract? Did he assume he would be released, or did he just try out on a whim, thinking he probably wouldn't get very far? I don't know -- but I think being able to make your living dancing is nothing to sneeze at, even if you don't become a household name. ( like any of the winners or previous dancers are -- the closest are those who are now on DWTS---and I would hope dancing for a prestigious ballet company would mean more than being a pro on DWTS) But I did like him too, and it's too bad he was not able to continue.

I totally forgot about the Brandon incident until you mentioned it. WTF was that all about?!?! I know every judge must have the favourites, but I think Mary went a little over board. Sure, Mia was kind of rude, but in her own snooty way, she's giving him some advice on how to put more emotion into things. Okay, serious stuff over... but still on topic with Brandon. Is it just me or does he not scream Carlton from Fresh Prince of Balair?

YES!!!!!!

Also yes, in that I thought Mary was out of line too. She interrupted Lil C (god I hate when adults use the slang 'lil' in their names-- I feel like a fool using it) and while he was agreeing with Mia, I think he was about to phrase it in a non snotty, no self-important diva way.

Mary will start to annoy me soon enough with her obnoxious 'woohoo's and ridiculous 'hot tamale train' comments.

Here's to hoping for someone to pick Tom Jones 'It's not Unusual' for one of the dances for Brand/Carlton. Please oh please......