Audition: Phoenix, AZ

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

sympathy all the way to top 3

sympathy all the way to top 3

I respect your opinion but I highly doubt that America will put him through to the final 3 only out of "sympathy". That's like saying Jasmine made it through only because she was black, or Anoop only made it through because he was Indian, or Danny made it through only because his wife died, or Jorge made it through because they liked his accent. Please. Whatever the judges and producers manipulations were/are, America will still vote through who they're gonna vote through and I choose to believe that voters will vote for whose voice and personality they like the best- plain and simple.

I admit that there are several others with better voices in the competition-no doubt. Personally, I actually think he's got a steeper road to climb for that very fact (as it should be) and also because it'll be tough for the producers logistically to plan the group numbers (the group 3 number was absolutely laughable with the chairs and hand movements.whew!) with Scott so I could see the judges/producers manipulating things as much as possible in that regard. Whatever happens happens. Let the best voice win. But it does irk me a little when people continually make blanket statements like "he'll win out of sympathy". He's a capable, talented person who just happens to be blind. His blindness doesn't define him- it's just a small part of who he is.

...oh, and the piano isn't his "crutch"- it's an added talent; just as Jason Castro's guitar playing and Brooke White's and Matt Giraud's piano skills are for them too. Just because he's blind doesn't suddenly make it a crutch, imo.

Ok, I'm done with my rant. Love ya all, np. :)

I respect your opinion but I highly doubt that America will put him through to the final 3 only out of "sympathy". That's like saying Jasmine made it through only because she was black, or Anoop only made it through because he was Indian, or Danny made it through only because his wife died, or Jorge made it through because they liked his accent. Please.

Sorry, i gotta disagree.

1.Scott-I honestly believe 100% he would not have made it through if he wasnt blind.. His vocals just arent there.. he is a likeable person, and America loves a good Cinderella story.

2. Jasmine- Honestly, I think Based off of tonights performances, I understand why she made it, BUT, I have absolutly NO IDEA how she made it to WC round.. she did HORRIBLE during her group performances (So, Im not sure why she made it to the WC round, But It could have a little bit of diversity)

3.Anoop-America didnt vote for him the first time.. I personally dont understand the love for him on this board, but whatver.. Maybe they put him through on skill

4. Danny- Ok, his wife died.. If they never did that story about him.. i dont think he would have made it through... Im 100% sure, they have shown Danny more this season, then any other contestant.. even from his Audition, they had an "At home" video of him try to win America Over..

So I do think AI is playing Politics here..

I definitely agree with you on the "playing politics" and it's obvious that they use airtime and comments to try and sway the public but it's also a fine line they walk because it can bite them in the behind if they do it too much. I guess what I'm trying to say is that, ultimately, it comes down to the people that actually vote. Each contestant has their family, friends and local community fanbase voting for them, then you add the people that vote based on contestants looks, personality, "sob story" and the judges comments, and then you have those that vote based on who they think is a better singer. I just happen to think that the percentage of voters who vote based on singer's vocal abilities is much higher than the first two. I could be totally naive- but I hope not. I just don't believe that the majority of people voting for him thought, "gee, the guy is blind. I'll vote for him!" For as many comments made on message boards from people who think Scott shouldn't have made it through, it seems there are just as many that loved his voice. For example, I remember people raving about Jason Castro's voice last season when I just didn't get it at all. It's all subjective really.

I do disagree with you on Danny- I think he would have made it through based on his voice alone, without the tear-jerker story. In fact, I think in some ways the back lash he's received from AI's incessant rehashing of the story only serves to hurt him a little- just as the over-dramatization of Scott's blindness could make it more difficult for him as well.

Hey, this is pretty cool though. I love discussing this stuff on the message boards without people going off on each other. Thanks for the civil discussions- I love it! :grouphug:

Scott Macintyre-Press Conference Comments:

Wednesday, March 4, 2009

On Why he chose Mandolin Rain-

Sorry, i gotta disagree.

1.Scott-I honestly believe 100% he would not have made it through if he wasnt blind.. His vocals just arent there.. he is a likeable person, and America loves a good Cinderella story.

2. Jasmine- Honestly, I think Based off of tonights performances, I understand why she made it, BUT, I have absolutly NO IDEA how she made it to WC round.. she did HORRIBLE during her group performances (So, Im not sure why she made it to the WC round, But It could have a little bit of diversity)

3.Anoop-America didnt vote for him the first time.. I personally dont understand the love for him on this board, but whatver.. Maybe they put him through on skill

4. Danny- Ok, his wife died.. If they never did that story about him.. i dont think he would have made it through... Im 100% sure, they have shown Danny more this season, then any other contestant.. even from his Audition, they had an "At home" video of him try to win America Over..

Seriously 123? Did you look at the percentages on Dial Idol? Scott and Lil ran away with it and received about the same amount of the busy signals they use for their predictions. If he got a few sympathy votes, I doubt it was enough to give him that big of a margin. And I think for alot of people that vote because he is blind it is less sympathy and more "hey, look at his determination etc". Me, I still vote on talent and appeal.

And while we're talking about why people made it thru - let's talk about your Megan. Talent? Not so much. T & A and long blonde hair and a pretty face - yep, that's why. Playing politics, yes that would qualify.

I Think Danny's freind was better then he was, and he didnt make it to the top 36...

I just think if everybody had the same amount of Airplay, then he wouldnt have such of an fanbase..

-

As for Idoldial, or whatever, I have never looked at it till this year, and week 1, they were wrong.. So Im not so sure about that..

And for Megan, As of now I like her... She is differnt then anything the show has had before.. She has uniquness to her voice.. Its not bad, but its different.. And I like that.. I could very likely change my mind at anypoint... Last season I didnt like Brooke white till top 8 or so..

Anyways, I dont know why Im getting such a backlash about Megan anyways..I am a Much bigger fan of Lil rounds anyways.. And have been from her debut audition...

-JMHO.

I Think Danny's freind was better then he was, and he didnt make it to the top 36...

I just think if everybody had the same amount of Airplay, then he wouldnt have such of an fanbase..

-

As for Idoldial, or whatever, I have never looked at it till this year, and week 1, they were wrong.. So Im not so sure about that..

And for Megan, As of now I like her... She is differnt then anything the show has had before.. She has uniquness to her voice.. Its not bad, but its different.. And I like that.. I could very likely change my mind at anypoint... Last season I didnt like Brooke white till top 8 or so..

Anyways, I dont know why Im getting such a backlash about Megan anyways..I am a Much bigger fan of Lil rounds anyways.. And have been from her debut audition...

-JMHO.

No, Dial Idol was NOT wrong week one. They predicted with certainty that Danny Gokey would advance, and the next highest was Alexis. Hmmmm, nope that seems very right to me. True they don't always get the third one right, but they have been spot on this season so far with the top two. So my point still stands.

No, Dial Idol was NOT wrong week one. They predicted with certainty that Danny Gokey would advance, and the next highest was Alexis. Hmmmm, nope that seems very right to me. True they don't always get the third one right, but they have been spot on this season so far with the top two. So my point still stands.

So they were wrong? I thought so.

No, they weren't wrong. The third place was too close to call and they said so. But they ones that they actually PREDICTED to be safe, have all been right this year, and Scott was one of those, by a wide margin, as was Lil, as was Danny, etc. etc. Since they didn't PREDICT the third place person, they were not wrong. Simple to understand. Since you admittedly haven't looked at until this year, maybe you just don't understand how it works. Glad to help you out!

I sure don't hate him. I actually admire him because of his backstory. I do believe that he was put through because of that backstory. Don't get me wrong, I personally couldn't carry a tune in a basket. I do however love music and have a pretty good ear for notes and tone. I believe that Scott was put into the finals at the expense of singers who were actually better in an effort to boost ratings!

UVP points out many times about the "Fix" in AI, and I certainly think Scott is indicative of that mentality. Producers made room for Scott by eliminating a better singer along the way.

I actually admire him because of his backstory.

See, that what AI wants...

I honestly think he deserved to go to hollywood, But im not sure about past that...

I think they kept him, cause they wanted something different, that would be good for ratings... so they kept him along... Now people like his story,and think he is neat, so they vote for him.

From the talk with my family tonight, most of them are really intrigued to see what he will do once he is allowed behind a piano. They view him as a more Adult Contemporary version of Stevie Wonder. Since a large portion of the AI viewing audience are older, I suspect Scott will be around for a while. The real question is, can he gather enough supporters to outweigh the teeny-bopper vote? Cause those teens will call and text for the whole 2 hours.

VFTW has scott as 2nd worst (behind Adam), So he might stay for awhile... He is so bad...

Lol, yeah, I guess we might as well check our own opinions at the door and not vote at all seeing as VFTW is THE authority on who's the worst. :glare:

Regarding next week's performances and Scott. Seeing as it's Michael Jackson week I think I'll say an extra prayer for him. I know he was probably hoping for Billy Joel or Josh Groban or even Grand Ol Opry week over MJ week! Should be interesting though because I'm not sure if there is MJ song suitable for the piano...unless he takes one and changes it up. That would be kinda cool. I'm guessing he'll do something like "You Are Not Alone" or "I Just Can't Stop Loving You". Just as long as it's not "Rock With You" or "Beat It"....or the worst MJ song ever "Ben". :P

Now see, during Michael Jackson week, I would think Scott would do better with "She's out of my life". Its a ballad that would really help showcase his piano playing abilities.