Danny Gokey...Eliminated 5/13

Dade

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

judges fav by far

but that may end up hurting his chance to win the fans may rebel and go for the underdog a la chris cook

Personally, I ignore what the judges have to say at this stage. If they didn't like someone, they shouldn't have put them through. After 7 seasons of this, I just vote for who I like and who I think would make a good record. I listened to them before, but their choices don't always put out great records.

So far, I like Danny. He'll have to keep up the good work though. So far he seems like a Final 4 selection... but beyond that will depend on how often he delivers stellar performances.

I think Danny is a really good singer and deserves to be in top 12....will probably make top 5 at least too.

There's just something about him though that I can't get behind him 100% yet...not sure if he's got that star quality or what it takes...we'll see I guess.

I hope each week they don't keep bring up his personal story of losing his wife...idk...seems somewhat exploitive.

In a recent article, Danny stated that he was sorry that his "story" keeps getting airplay and if people feel like its being shoved down their throats. But the media keeps asking him about it.

In a way, I feel bad for the way that he's being pigeonholed into being this year's sob story when it is so obvious he has a large amount of talent. Is he ready to be a superstar? I don't know. There is definitely potential there. I feel better about him than I do about those who have been running around in the industry for a while. He is definitely undiscovered talent.

I am curious to see how they do his "star makeover" upon arriving in the top 12. That and song choices could be the difference between 1st and 2nd place.

Found this on Yahoo and thought it might bring some comments.

What is up with all the Danny Gokey Haters?

By Andrea Engstrom | Tuesday, February 24, 2009, 11:44 AM

"American Idol" has baked up some fresh heroes and villains for your consumption this season, but many fans are already rejecting the star-making machine's attempts to package 28-year-old Danny Gokey as the frontrunner. And some bloggers have gotten downright mean about it. Gokey's biggest mistake? Offering up his real-life personal tragedy (the death of his wife) for producers to weave into an emotional back story about overcoming obstacles and keeping the dream alive.

Over at EW.com, Michael Slezak and Kristen Baldwin came out swinging in their online video show "Idolatry." "He is pimping the memory of his dead wife to get votes. It's disgusting," said Baldwin. "It's really appalling the way that he has used her to get on the show and now to get votes. I'm not saying he didn't love his wife. I'm not saying he's not sad that she's gone. But he's clearly using his grief for his own advantage, and it's gross." Slezak agrees that Gokey is exploiting his tragedy. "You don't need to keep her memory alive for 25 million viewers who don't know her," added Slezak. "When you start showing a picture, pointing to heaven, talking about inspiration, it seems to me a sort of clear effort to get people to vote for you."

In a conference call with press last Thursday, Gokey responded openly about this type of reaction. "It's only been seven months since she's passed. This is who I am. It's not that I throw it in people's faces, but I get asked about it all the time, especially like right now. I'm talking about it at this point. It weighs on my mind a lot, though, because honestly, this is a sob story I don't want," Gokey explained. "I don't want this story, but it is shaping my life and it's causing hope for a lot of people, knowing that it's causing hope for my life. I didn't want to live any more after she passed."

Why is all of this animosity being directed at Danny Gokey instead of "Idol" producers, who are clearly fanning the embers of this emotional back story to create a more engaging show? My best guess is that they feel that he shouldn't have fed the beast in the first place. Message boards are buzzing with "Idol" fans comparing how former contestants handled the telling of their personal stories. David Cook kept a fairly tight lid on his brother's illness, but remember the focus put on Elliott Yamin's ailing mother? The lesson here is that when it comes to sharing information about your personal life, less is more.

"Idol" expert Jeffrey Christian explains his frustration with Gokey in his American Idol Report Card blog. "I'm beyond irritated at this whole 'The Chosen One' verbiage that surrounds him. Perhaps I could comprehend it if his performances displayed even a scintilla of greatness, but for what we've been allowed to see so far, Gokey is an adequate vocalist, with some interpretive skills, has yet to blow anything out the box, but has a damned juicy/sad back story."

Gokey acknowledges that he's gotten some extra support from the show, but hopes that people won't hold that against him. "Honestly, I do feel that I was highlighted. There's no getting around that. I didn't do anything to get that. I can say this; I'm grateful that they would do that. I have no control over it," he said. "I know everyone's not going to like me -- that goes without saying. But it's a bummer when people are just real mad about it. I had nothing to do with it and I hope people can see past that and just see that I genuinely just love to sing and that's what I want to do."

The heat on Danny Gokey won't relent anytime soon, but after losing the most important person in his life, I'm guessing that he's got this whole "American Idol" experience in the proper perspective. It's just a TV show.

as expected the idol backlash will probably hurt their golden boy

boy idol producers are so stupid :lol:

i was a fan of his "singing" in the audition rd but the pimping of him by the producers really turned me off because while good i always see need for improvement and that the contest is wide open no one contestant should be feature so much over the rest

from them featuring him first and last on group 1 performance night

just my thoughts and i am not changing them if anyone disagree nor do i care :animated_wave:

I hope that the producers take notice of this public reaction and eliminate references to Danny's late wife from future shows...and I hope Danny down plays it as well. It hasn't set well with me and although I honestly I feel bad for him...it does seem to be exploitive and a means to gain the sympathy votes and has adversely influenced my overall impression of him. Let him succeed based on his talent...which he does have.

There was quite a few sob stories this year. Danny is getting flak because he happened to make it through to the top 12. I expect once the real competition begins, this will all die down and he'll either make it or not based on his talent. There are some great guys coming up in the next 2 groups. Danny's gonna have some real competition soon.

I mostly blame Idol for all this Danny hate. They exploited it and keep bringing it up over and over. I love Danny's voice, but if he starts to suck or keeps choosing sappy songs, I'll be right there saying he needs to go.

I base my vote on the voice as well. I've learned to ignore the judges and the producers in their pimping of their chosen one. So far, Danny is the best guy in the top 12. But more will be joining him after tonight and we'll see what happens later.

I mostly blame Idol for all this Danny hate. They exploited it and keep bringing it up over and over. I love Danny's voice, but if he starts to suck or keeps choosing sappy songs, I'll be right there saying he needs to go.

I pray he doesn't know the song "I Will Love Again". The cringe factor will be off the charts.

I pray he doesn't know the song "I Will Love Again". The cringe factor will be off the charts.

:animated_rotfl: betcha he does...