Shawn Johnson and Mark Ballas

Dade

Shawn Johnson

PROFESSION:

Olympic gymnast

PARTNER:

Mark Ballas

BACKGROUND:

The youngest ever competitor on Dancing with the Stars, 17 year-old Olympian Shawn Johnson was the gold medalist in balance beam at the 2008 Summer Olympics in Beijing where she also earned 3 silver medals in the team, floor exercise and individual all-around categories. The current two-time National Champion and high-school Junior Johnson appeared on a limited edition Cheerios box in early 2009, led the pledge of allegiance at last year's Democratic National Convention in Denver, was a headliner of last fall's Tour of Gymnastics Superstars and was named Choice Female Athlete at the 2008 Teen Choice Awards. Her debut biography Shawn Johnson: Olympic Champion: Stories Behind the Smile was released in December.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sure she's got plenty of flexibility, but she looks even younger than 17. How is she ever going to fare against the more "Mature" women on the show dressed in some of the skimpy outfits they wear. It'll probably be unlawful here in Ohio to even view her in some of those costumes like Edyta wears ;)

I think that might be part of the problem. She looks about 12. She's as sweet as can be, from what I know, but I don't know if I'll be able to believe 'sexy' from her.

I think she'll be great at some styles, and others will be awkward. I wish her the best though and hope she does well.

Carrie Ann won't have to be all worried about lifts with her -- this girl can fly all on her own.

i was gonna pick her to win easily but being short may be an issue

• 2 weeks later...

i caught most of her performance

talk about natural grace

looked very good

best of night imho

UVP, I've been noticing that you are always pretty much "right on" for performances and calling it for AI also.

(Just don't knock the French guy). :D

yeah i try

but bb is my show

dancing with the stars i tend to overscore or underscore at times

i am still learning how to judge the performance

will you be my guide? :animated_bouncy:

but i am glad you're here for the fun here and on idols boards

bb is so not fun due to all the fights everyone gets into

including myself

this bb 11 season i am just going to chill and not get into any fights

its so calm here during idol and dwts

very smoothing compared to bb mess

yeah i try

but bb is my show

dancing with the stars i tend to overscore or underscore at times

i am still learning how to judge the performance

will you be my guide? :animated_bouncy:

Uh, I don't think I'm qualified :animated_scratchchin:

I usually just look for unison and fluidity myself. I just like what pleases me visually. :D

You're doing much better than I am. :notworthy::giggle:

She was really good. I have to root for her-- I'm from Iowa too, so she's a pretty big deal here. And really, a genuine, sweet kid, from what I've seen of her. Easy to root for. I think she could win, but I wonder if maybe Melissa won't get a lot of votes because of her situation. Besides that, Melissa was also really good and will probably be really great when she has more time to practice. I'm not sure Shawn can beat that combo of talent, fans, and votes from people who just want to stick it to Jason, and this is the only way they can.

Shawn was my favorite for the night.

heavy hips the gymnastic didnt help here 6-7

I really liked her dance, but I knew what was coming from the judges. I wish her mom would have stood up and told them to lay off with the 'be more naughty' stuff, since she is only 17. There are a lot of 17 year olds who would have no problem with the, but I dare say Shawn's life has been different from the typical teenagers.