Episode 5.14: The Variable -correct airdate 4/29/09

Dade

Courtesy of; SPOILERFIX

Episode 5.14: Title Unknown

Airdate: April 15, 2009

• 02/05 - George: 10 years old, very intelligent, sharp and bright. A child prodigy who is already completing high school level work. Extraordinarily gifted as a science student and musician, he still deep down simply wants to make his parents proud and get their love. Looking for someone with brown hair and brown eyes. Please submit actors that can play some piano. Source: Lost Spoilers
  • 02/02 - Sophie: Late 30's - 40s, British. Very intelligent, skillful, prim and proper aristocrat yet someone who is tough and resourceful when necessary to protect her family. Looking for actress 5'0" to 5'4" in height for matching requirements. Must have an English accent. Probably recur. Source: Lost Spoilers

• 2 weeks later...

Courtesy of: SPOILERFIX

Episode 5.14: The Variable

Airdate: April 15, 2009

• 02/12 - This episode is a direct follow up from "The Constant." It continues with Desmond's and Daniel's adventures. We get more info on Daniel's notebook statement "Desmond is my Constant." The early planning of this episode may explain why Desmond left the army. Source: Lost Spoilers

• 4 weeks later...
Episode 5.14

• 4 weeks later...

Spoilerish tidbits from Kristin at EOnline:

Kelly in Des Moines, Iowa: No more love stuff. I want to know what's going to happen with all the mythology/monster stuff on Lost.

Mrs. Hawking and Daniel Faraday are both coming back for "The Variable" on April 29 (which just so happens to be the series' 100th ep). Also present are Penny and Charles Widmore and Charlie Hume (not to be confused with Charlie Pace). As for the variable itself, it will almost certainly tie back to the equations and notations from the blast-door map we saw in season two, which included such bon mots as "Geological composition likely to cause magnetic disturbances/interference with weather project," "Primary nexus of Cerberus-related activity" and the infamous Valenzetti equation. Come on, who else wants a monster-centric ep? Remember, the only rule about flashbacks is that there are no rules. Before the end of the season, Smokey is totally gonna get himself some backstory!

"The Variable" Spoiler Info.:

• On the 100th episode milestone for the series, the time of reckoning has begun when Daniel Faraday comes clean regarding what he knows about the island. Guest starring are Nestor Carbonell as Richard Alpert, Sonya Walger as Penelope "Penny" Widmore, Alan Dale as Charles Widmore, Francois Chau as Dr. Pierre Chang, Fionnula Flanagan as Eloise Hawking, Patrick Fischler as Phil, Eric Lange as Radzinsky, Sarah Farooqui as Theresa, Alice Evans as younger Eloise Hawking, Wendy Pearson as E.R. doctor, Todd Coolidge as paramedic, Peggy Anne Siegmund as caretaker, Jennifer Sojot as E.R. nurse, Spencer Allyn as young Daniel Faraday, Michael Dempsey as foreman, Maya Henssens as young girl, Ariston Green as workman, Marvin DeFreitas as young Charlie and Brad Berryhill as anxious guy.Source: ABC

• This episode is a direct follow up from "The Constant." It continues with Desmond's and Daniel's adventures. We get more info on Daniel's notebook statement "Desmond is my Constant." The early planning of this episode may explain why Desmond left the army.
  • Casting- George: 10 years old, very intelligent, sharp and bright. A child prodigy who is already completing high school level work. Extraordinarily gifted as a science student and musician, he still deep down simply wants to make his parents proud and get their love. Looking for someone with brown hair and brown eyes. Please submit actors that can play some piano.
  • Casting- Sophie: Late 30's - 40s, British. Very intelligent, skillful, prim and proper aristocrat yet someone who is tough and resourceful when necessary to protect her family. Looking for actress 5'0" to 5'4" in height for matching requirements. Must have an English accent. Probably recur. Source: Lost Spoilers

(The character listed as "George" in casting is most-likely actually referring to a young Daniel. The young actor playing Daniel, Spencer Allyn, is a talented pianist so this would fit. The character of "Sophie" is probably referring to a younger Eloise Hawking, Daniel's mother.- kayo)

• 3 weeks later...

I had to watch this episode 3 times and I still have much more questions than answers!

Is Daniel dead? I believe so- and if Eloise KNEW all along that she would kill her son in the past, why wouldn't she try to change it? Is that why she told Desmond on that fateful ring-purchasing day that you can't change the future; that everything course corrects and what will happen will happen? I don't know about other mothers but if it were my child and I knew what "destiny" would have happen, I would do EVERYTHING I could to change it- even if it ultimately lead to failure. It seems like there is a much bigger agenda- one in which she is compliant and willing to let what's going to happen happen- even if it means sacrificing her son. This was evident in her comments to Widmore about "sacrifice". :animated_scratchchin:

One interesting thing which may or may not be of importance in future episodes is the fact that we now know there is more than one set of half-brothers/half-sisters! Jack & Claire and Daniel & Penny. There also was a step-brother/step-sister in Shannon & Boone. How or if this will play into the storyline in the future is yet to be seen but I can't help but wonder about it...and hope! Also, within those 2 half-sibling relationships one of each set may very well be dead. Daniel is most-likely dead, and Claire may very well be as well. :animated_scratchchin: Both Shannon & Boone are dead. :animated_scratchchin: The puzzle pieces aren't fitting at this point but I'll put them aside and try to fit them in the puzzle somehow later... ;)

Poor Jack- who DO you believe now? It is your destiny, it isn't your destiny. you should be on the island, you shouldn't be on the island. I say listen to Locke!

Interview with Carlton and Damon addressing the death of Daniel Faraday on "The Variable"

Source: Access Hollywood

In the episode, Daniel Faraday

LOL, what was your theory?

Courtesy of: TV GUIDE, TV SHOW RECAPS

Lost Episode Recap: "The Variable"

Apr 29, 2009 08:29 PM ET by Mickey O'Connor

Dan is a man with a plan. After weeks of questioning what exactly Daniel Faraday knows or doesn't know, and whether or not we should trust him, Wednesday's episode of Lost, the show's 100th, gives us a peek into that complicated brainiac's melon, and what we find out is scary to contemplate. It seems that Daniel wants to prevent the folks at the Swan station from drilling, because it will release a dangerous amount of electromagnetic energy, killing many and launching a series of events that will eventually cause the crash of Oceanic 815. To counter this, Faraday thinks the best course of action is to detonate a hydrogen bomb. Come again, Daniel... while I pick up the pieces of what was once my staggeringly capable brain, read on!

Namaste, y'all! Let's get the Daniel backstory out of the way before we cover Operation Boom-Boom Island Bye-Bye, shall we? (Brain not quite working still. With any luck, my college roommate wasn't lying when he told me that Newcastle Brown Ale contains important brain-enhancement properties.) Onward!

Danny Boy

Young Daniel likes the tickle the ivories, and count the ticking of the metronome. His mom, however, can't just enjoy his prodigious skills and be all: My boy is so talented. Instead, she asks the tweaky tween: "Do you know what destiny is?" She explains that he has a gift that he needs to nurture, with something other than piano-playing. "I could make time" [to play the piano], Daniel argues. "If only you could," a young Mrs. Hawking replies ominously. Burning question: Why do Daniel's parents (Hawking and Widmore) both have British accents, but he doesn't?

At his Oxford graduation, Daniel is the youngest doctor ever. But instead of an "atta boy," Mrs. Hawking insults Daniel's girlfriend, Teresa the doomed research assistant, and gives him a journal