Episode 3.20: Cold Snap

Dade

Courtesy of: SPOILERFIX

Episode 3.20: Title Unknown

Airdate: March 2009

12/12 - Summary of spoilers revealed in a printed edition of TV Guide: Episode 3.20 will provide us with more details about Ando's past. Source: SpoilerTV

• 2 months later...

Courtesy of: SPOILERFIX

Airdate: March 16, 2009

• 02/12 - Somewhere around episode 20, Tracy Strauss will be broken up. And yes, it's the sort of breaking up that lands the character permanently in a grave. Will she come back as yet another manifestation along the lines of Niki/Jessica/etc.? That remains to be seen. Source: Kristin on E!Online

• 1 month later...

Courtyesy of: SPOILERFIX

Airdate: March 23, 2009

• 03/14 - Episode [20] focuses on [Ali] Larter's Tracy. "If you look at the 'Fugitives' arc, it all kind of leads up to episode 20 in a nice way," [bryan Fuller] says. "There's a great twist in her arc." Might that twist be connected to one of the three big deaths coming up (one of which is a fake-out)? Fuller won't budge, except to say Tracy "ends the season in a fantastic way." Source: The Ausiello Files
  • 03/06 - Summary of spoilers revealed in Behind the Eclipse Q&A #16: We will learn morea bout Angela's motivations. Source: SpoilerTV
  • 03/06 - Summary of spoilers revealed in Behind the Eclipse Q&A #15: We will learn more about Ando's powers. We will also see Tracy tapping into the full potential of her ability even possibly freezing things at a distance. Source: SpoilerTV
  • 02/27 - HRG convinces Emile Danko (guest star Zeljko Ivanek), a.k.a. "The Hunter", to release Tracy from "Building 26," in hopes that she will lead them to "Rebel." As Angela evades capture, she turns to an old friend (guest star Swoosie Kurtz) for help. In Los Angeles, Hiro and Ando continue on their latest mission from "Rebel" to protect the newest hero. Greg Grunberg, Sendhil Ramamurthy and Milo Ventimiglia also star. Brea Grant and David H. Lawrence XVII also guest star. Source: NBC

Thoughts:

One of the coolest intros leading to the title of an episode that I've seen on Heroes- Ali held captive in the "heating" room with the title Cold Snap appearing as we see her breathe out a puff of cold air and the title disappears. NICE.

Micah is Rebel- meh. I figured as much. He's grown several inches and his voice has changed since we last saw and heard from him though.

Was that little blink/wink thing Ms. Shattered Popsicle gave Noah supposed to mean that she's still alive? Probably. Either way, we know Ali Larter has another "life" left since there's basically supposed to be 3 of her. Two down, one to go.

Sylar is going to help the slimy bad guy (can't remember his name)? RATS. And I was expecting SO much more when I saw the stuffed rabbit and Sylar lurking in the corner from the previews. It figures though- Sylar probably will cut a deal with him because he wants to be the only one with powers left to roam "free".

The Matt & Daphne goodbye scene was predictable and ridiculous. The Peter rescuing his mom scene was actually pretty cool...but the Hiro, Ando and baby Matt scenes- PRICELESS!

Yup, the title part was really good.

I was thinking that "Rebel" would turn out to be Hana Gitelman (you remember "Wireless" from season 1, right?), but she was only in a couple of episodes.

(By the way, she stars on the new show "Castle" with Nathan Fillion now.) Micah was much more memorable, although I barely recognized him when he showed up because of how much the actor has grown and changed.

The way I count Ali Larter's characters, that was number three. Although Jessica was a split personality of Niki, I think she used to exist and that they were raised as twins. I could be wrong, that's just how I remember it being explained when Tracy showed up. I hope she's gone for good because they never gave her anything exciting to do, and I don't see how anyone could develop much pathos for her.

I missed the very beginning last night, and I didn't see Sylar in any of the rest of the episode (did I blink?), so I will have to watch the part I missed to see what you're talking about there, Kayo.

Matt and Daphne was kind of weird. Why did they kill her off, then bring her back, only to get rid of her again? It adds nothing. They have totally ruined Matt Parkman's character, in my opinion. At least he seems to be getting more powerful. Powerful enough even to stop Sylar by himself, unless Sylar can counteract that mind control somehow.

Peter rescuing Angela was ok, but it seemed to me that he was foolish to wait until the doors opened before taking off, when it looked like he had tons of time to get away before that.

And Hiro is disappointing me more and more. His childlike wonder and enthusiasm at the beginning is what made him so lovable to me. Then they reverted him to a childlike state to get rid of his powers, and brought him back to himself only without the powers, now they're giving him limited powers (but I'm not sure how that could be explained scientifically since stopping time and travelling through it seem too related to me), only now instead of being childlike and innocent, he's just childish and unintelligent. How is he supposed to turn into that Badass-Hiro from that extinct alternate future timeline now?

In my opinion, the writing is Ok, it's just that they're not going to a solid enough place for me. Even that might not be enough. I don't like stuff like "The Lord of the Rings", where there's this whole long journey and lots of trials along the way for nothing. HEROES worked much better as the serial-killer-murder-mystery it was in the first season. Now they seem to just be running in circles.

But I'm still watching!

I was thinking that "Rebel" would turn out to be Hana Gitelman (you remember "Wireless" from season 1, right?), but she was only in a couple of episodes.

(By the way, she stars on the new show "Castle" with Nathan Fillion now.)

Oh my goodness- THANK YOU! I'd been wracking my brain trying to remember where I'd seen that actress before. I would've never made the connection!

The way I count Ali Larter's characters, that was number three. Although Jessica was a split personality of Niki, I think she used to exist and that they were raised as twins. I could be wrong, that's just how I remember it being explained when Tracy showed up. I hope she's gone for good because they never gave her anything exciting to do, and I don't see how anyone could develop much pathos for her.

I'm hoping you're right-I had been counting Niki/Jessica as one so maybe that was the third one. I'll do a little happy dance if you're correct AND that little blink isn't supposed to mean she's got the ability to restore herself somehow. On this show, one never knows. I'm thinking dead-alive-then dead again Daphne here...which leads me to-

Matt and Daphne was kind of weird. Why did they kill her off, then bring her back, only to get rid of her again? It adds nothing. They have totally ruined Matt Parkman's character, in my opinion. At least he seems to be getting more powerful. Powerful enough even to stop Sylar by himself, unless Sylar can counteract that mind control somehow.

I TOTALLY agree with you. Made absolutely no sense to me. It almost seems as if they originally planned more of a storyline with Daphne but then worked out some sort of contract with the actress who played Matt's ex-wife and so it was bye, bye, Daphne! I also think the Matt character is becoming one muddled mess-but then, I've been thinking that about several of the characters.

I missed the very beginning last night, and I didn't see Sylar in any of the rest of the episode (did I blink?), so I will have to watch the part I missed to see what you're talking about there, Kayo.

Oops, maybe I assumed too much but I'm almost 100% sure that Sylar is the one who left the puppetmaster gift for the "Hunter". You're right- he wasn't in the episode. They just showed previews at the end of the episode before this one of Sylar lurking in the corner of his apartment, so I guess I just put two and two together. The only reasons I could fathom Sylar helping him out would be A.) So he would be the only one with powers roaming free or B.) as a trap to ultimately take down Hunter and his crummy little cronies - and also obtain lots of new powers at the same time.

Peter rescuing Angela was ok, but it seemed to me that he was foolish to wait until the doors opened before taking off, when it looked like he had tons of time to get away before that.

lol, why it was all for the drama and our viewing pleasure! Yes, I suppose they could've had the doors open to reveal an empty elevator and then the camera could've panned to the skyline outside, revealing a puff of "smoke" and two people flying off in the distance. I kinda liked seeing Peter again though so I was ok with the way they did the scene. ;)

And Hiro is disappointing me more and more. His childlike wonder and enthusiasm at the beginning is what made him so lovable to me. Then they reverted him to a childlike state to get rid of his powers, and brought him back to himself only without the powers, now they're giving him limited powers (but I'm not sure how that could be explained scientifically since stopping time and travelling through it seem too related to me), only now instead of being childlike and innocent, he's just childish and unintelligent. How is he supposed to turn into that Badass-Hiro from that extinct alternate future timeline now?

Yeah, I guess you're right. Hiro is another character that I've been disappointed with as of late but only because I like him so much. I long for the "badass" Hiro to emerge too...as long as they can keep some of his child-like wonder too. Not sure if they can pull it off though...no, actually I'M SURE they can't pull it off. Actually, what they're doing to Ando's character is bugging me even more. Why did they give him a power, anyway? I think the two worked much better as a "team" with normal Ando and powerful, yet child-like Hiro. I do admit that I still loved the sequence with Hiro getting part of his powers back from "baby touch and go" (?) but only to find out that he didn't get them all back.

In my opinion, the writing is Ok, it's just that they're not going to a solid enough place for me. Even that might not be enough. I don't like stuff like "The Lord of the Rings", where there's this whole long journey and lots of trials along the way for nothing. HEROES worked much better as the serial-killer-murder-mystery it was in the first season. Now they seem to just be running in circles.

I'll go one step further and state that I don't even think the writing is ok anymore. I think the writers are single-handedly (or many-handedly?) sinking the show. The first season was by far the best, and it's been a downhill ride ever since. They've weakened too many characters and made the whole storyline very ambiguous. I'm beginning to not care or root for very many of the characters any more and, as a whole, have become bored with the show. It still has its moments- they're just becoming too few and far between.

But I'm still watching!

Me too- but only because my husband still likes the show.

I'll keep this real short. I still like the show . . alot. They're still trying to wrap up too many storylines, but if this is the end of Daphne, so be it, one less storyline to try and incorporate into the show. Ditto for Tracy/Niki/Jessica. I think we'll still see another reincarnation of her in some way, shape or form however. But they need to lean the show out a little, and there are characters that need to go to accomplish that.

I think most of this past episode was setup for the upcoming focus turning back to Sylar and the evil serial killer that is he. I'm looking forward to evil Sylar culling the herd a little!

As to Matt, I was actually touched with Matt easing Daphne's death. That was within his power to accomplish, and he did it. He let her go (her words) knowing that she really was loved! Congrats to Matt for loving her.

Don't get me wrong, I get irritated with this show sometimes as well, but the show needed to grow beyond what it was in season 1 to survive at all. JMHO :animated_scratchchin:

I'll keep this real short. I still like the show . . alot. They're still trying to wrap up too many storylines, but if this is the end of Daphne, so be it, one less storyline to try and incorporate into the show. Ditto for Tracy/Niki/Jessica. I think we'll still see another reincarnation of her in some way, shape or form however. But they need to lean the show out a little, and there are characters that need to go to accomplish that.

I think most of this past episode was setup for the upcoming focus turning back to Sylar and the evil serial killer that is he. I'm looking forward to evil Sylar culling the herd a little!

As to Matt, I was actually touched with Matt easing Daphne's death. That was within his power to accomplish, and he did it. He let her go (her words) knowing that she really was loved! Congrats to Matt for loving her.

Don't get me wrong, I get irritated with this show sometimes as well, but the show needed to grow beyond what it was in season 1 to survive at all. JMHO :animated_scratchchin:

i actually thought this episode was one of the highlights of the entire season. it didnt have ur typical "nothing happened' thing. people actually died and people returned. hopefully micah will be used more. AND WHERE IS MONICA!?

i actually thought this episode was one of the highlights of the entire season. it didnt have ur typical "nothing happened' thing. people actually died and people returned. hopefully micah will be used more. AND WHERE IS MONICA!?

I enjoyed this epi as well. There were some things that happened that brought some closure to some storylines, like Daphne, but I feel that Daphne's death may be used to expand the Matt Parkman character . . . I hope! I like Matt, and I think he's been misused as a character for awhile now.

I never got into Monica. I thought she was almost a "disposable" character that just wan't necessary to the Heroes universe. They brought her on board during a period of explosive growth within the character count. That's unfortunate for her because she might have been interesting if used differently.

I'm tiring of the Hunter/Men In Black/Government Conspiracy story arc however. The current batch of Heroes aren't really saving the planet, they're not being Heroic, they're fugitives trying to survive unjust prosecution/persecution. It's time to wrap up this nonsense and get back to saving the planet :)

• 1 month later...

Courtesy of: TV GUIDE, TV SHOW RECAPS

Heroes Episode Recap: "Cold Snap"

Mar 23, 2009 10:30 PM ET by Adam Bryant

After weeks of speculation, the mysterious Rebel is finally revealed. But first, Parkman does his humble best to save Daphne from the gunshot wound still endangering her life, Angela Petrelli plays keep-away from Danko's men, Hiro and Ando become makeshift babysitters for Matt Parkman Jr. and Tracy agrees to be the bait HRG needs to draw Rebel out. Throw in some inclement weather, world travelling and (maybe) even a death or two, and we have one jam-packed hour to cover. On with the recap!

Moon Man

After being busted out of Danko's holding cell by Tracy (more on that to come), Parkman enlists the help of Mohinder to get Daphne to a hospital. That's right, the gunshot wound that happened weeks ago for us is still an issue for Daphne, who is now septic. In the ER, Parkman spins a tale about how "Janice" shot herself while duck hunting. Believing him or not, the doctor informs Matt that all gunshot wounds must be called into the police. But Parkman quickly throws that thought out of the doc's head, instead rushing Daphne to surgery with no questions asked, and allowing Parkman to stay nearby.

Things are looking up for Daphne when next we see her. She's no longer "Janice," as Parkman has now convinced the hospital staff that they are treating Gwen Stefani. Anything for a nice room, eh? But once Daphne asks Matt why he told the doctors her name was Janice, she gets some juicy details on Parkman's ex Janice. Daphne decides that she doesn't want to be slotted into his ex-wife's space, and refuses to believe that Matt's spirit walk