Jay Leno

laladoopiedu

I didn't know where else to put this.

From perezhilton.com

post-2-1228804613_thumb.jpg

They've just thrown a HUGE curve ball into the game!

Many people were expecting Jay Leno to leave NBC once his contract at the Tonight Show was up and he was unceremoniously dumped to make room for Conan O'Brien, the long-running program's new host.

Insiders predicted that the other networks would offer Leno, still a ratings draw after all these years, way too much money and he'd easily be wooed over to a competing net.

Well, everyone was WRONG!

According to the very reputable New York Times, NBC is going to announce that Leno is staying at the peacock network and they are giving him a nightly show at 10 P.M.

He's basically going to do the same show he's been doing - only earlier.

In other words, he just got a promotion!!!!!!!!

And he probably is getting paid quite handsomely for it.

No broadcast network has ever before offered this type of nightly show during prime time.

Conan and Letterman must be PISSED!!!

The move is a win-win situation for NBC, who is currently fourth in the ratings - behind ABC, Fox and CBS. Not only do they keep Leno and keep a competitor from getting him, but since they're sucking so hard in the ratings, they have nothing to lose by giving up their 10 P.M. time slot. In fact, they have a lot to gain!

The cost-cutting network, who has recently been laying off hundreds of employees, may be able to greatly reduce costs of developing and producing other prime-time shows by having Leno on at 10.

And, Jay is bound to bring in viewers AND advertising. AND he will help all the NBC affiliates boost their nightly news ratings.

Genius move!

Leno to stay on NBC

Wow! I haven't heard this anywhere yet, good job laladoopiedu (and Perez Hilton).

I don't really know what I think about this. I rarely watch any of the late night shows, I'm a Letterman loyalist, but unless he has a good guest, I switch to Jimmy Kimmel after Dave's opening shtick. I know Leno beats Letterman in the ratings every night, but we're still talking about pretty low numbers.

The same show he's been doing? Here's a sample rating from a few days ago:

In the late-night metered markets, NBC's "Leno" (4.2/11) pulled ahead of CBS's "Letterman" (3.3/8) and ABC's "Nightline" (2.9/7). Rounding out the night then were CBS's "Ferguson" (1.5/5), ABC's "Kimmel" (1.4/4) and "Conan" (1.7/6) and "Daly" (1.1/5) on NBC. Can Leno pull in double digit ratings by just moving him into primetime? He'll be competing against numbers like CSI's 16.6 share.

At least Leno is a lot cheaper to produce than ER

I prefer Letterman also.

Leno is OK ... but, FIVE nights a week / prime time ???

I'll admit I like some of his spots like 'Jay Walking' and 'The Talking Photo Booth' tho.

Did any of the articles about the switch of time mention what NBC will be paying him?

I still can't get over how many cars this guy owns... :o

Here's a quote from a 2006 article - -

" He has approximately 85 cars and over 70 motorcycles in his collection. Where does he park all these cars? On a football field-sized spread of warehouses in an industrial park in Burbank, California. Jay is famous for driving a different car or bike from his collection every day to work."

I don't watch any of the late night shows... but if I was going to it would be Letterman as well

I am not interested in watching Leno now... so his being on at 10 really holds no appeal to me

Conan O'Brien must be pissed though.... they give him Leno's spot, then give Leno an hour of prime time, an hour and a half before Conan.........

Conan O'Brien must be pissed though.... they give him Leno's spot, then give Leno an hour of prime time, an hour and a half before Conan.........

Everyone keeps saying this, I don't understand the problem.. Conan, who's numbers suck, is getting a raise and a better time slot and access to more prestigious guests. So why be pissed?

PS: Jay's salary is reported to be $20 million, which by primetime standards isn't that much. Letterman makes much more at CBS.

^^^ But what star is going to go on Conan if they've already been with Jay Leno in Prime Time... and who's going to watch the same actor on Conan an hour and a half later??

Why stay up til 11:30 to watch if you've watched at 10.......I just think it would be a slap.... yah, Conan you are getting the good slot..... OH but we are going to put Jay on before just like before

I think it's better for both. Jay is on at 11:35 pm here, Conan at 12:35pm. I usually miss both because I can't stay up that late. On the odd time I can, I try watching some of Jay. I actually find him far more humourous than Conan who is just annoying..but I use to like the Masturbating Bear...

Anyhow, if both are moved to an earlier time slot they'll likely pick up fans that just couldn't stay up that late to watch them normally.

I think that Leno moving to prime time will make Letterman and O'Brien irrelevant. Cause why would someone choose to go on at 11 or 11:30 when they can do 10?

As for the ratings tanking.... yes and no. Yes, Leno will come in at the bottom of the big 3 unless he has a huge guest (Brad Pitt, Barack Obama), but it's not a popularity contest-- it's a money thing. NBC will make more money per investment dollar from Leno (a much cheaper show to make-- the guests don't make much money at all, just scale, usually) then ABC and CBS will make from their dramas. Also, Leno can do a new show every night, 300 nights a year rather than these shows that will be in repeats later.

I personally wish this weren't happening cause I like scripted drama, and I think taking five out of the market will be bad overall, but I understand it from a business point of view.

Archived