The Happening

Scuba

so i saw m. night's new movie last nite. i love his movies. all of them! this one was no exception.

it was rather graphic at times...........

the only thing i didn't like was no cameo by m. night. he was a voice on the phone.......wtf ever!! give me my m. night!

M Night's problem is that he has never been able to top Sixth Sense, his first movie. Everything he does falls short of that effort because everything is compared to that movie. I don't think everything he's done since then has sucked. I like the type of movies he makes, but I didn't like the storyline in The Happening. It just left me confused. :huh:

I must start this by saying I'm a huge M. Night fan. I absolutely loved The Sixth Sense, Unbreakable (my favorite) and Signs, and I liked The Village as well. Lady in the Water, however, would've bordered close to laughable if it hadn't been for the acting abilities of Paul Giamatti and Bryce Dallas Howard (who casted the oriental woman in the movie, anyway? She was horrible in it!). Well I really, really, REALLY wanted to like The Happening. I thought with Mark Wahlberg and Zoey Duschanel in it it just couldn't miss. Unfortunately, he finally reached the level I feared...laughability. This movie made me absolutely cringe with embarrassment for him. I still think he is a brilliant director, he just needs to do someone else's story for once- or at least let someone else write his screenplay. He is so artistic at filming shots, capturing moods, using sound and other little nuances that make his movies so entertaining...I just think he's become just a little too ego driven that he can't see the forest for the trees. Oh, I get it. So that explains the trees... :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This wasn't a scary movie as far as horrors go. It's more sci-fi and makes you think. I've long felt that plants think/feel... this movie basically plays on that notion, depicting their upset with man.

I wasn't thrilled with this movie, but I'm glad I only rented it and didn't spend beaucoup bucks at a theatre.

Side question, what the heck was up with Marky Mark's bad acting??? Usually he's much better than that!