Episode 5.06: 316

Dade

ALERT!! ABC made the decision to swap episodes 6 and 7 due to "wanting to get answers out there sooner". It's unclear if Damon or Carlton were involved in this decision. Source: DarkUFO

So parts of some postings in this topic may actually apply to the new episode seven- "The Life and Death of Jeremy Bentham".

Episode Six is now "316" (was originally episode seven).

-----------------

Courtesy of: SPOILERFIX

Episode 5.06: Title Unknown

Airdate: Winter 2009

• 10/12 - Hajer: Male, Arab, 30s-50s. A very local "doctor" who probably doesn't have a traditional medical degree but has the experience to tackle anything the harsh desert can throw at him. Tough bed-side manner but knows how to get the job done. Must speak Tunisian Arabic. Source: Lost Spoilers [Note: It's not clear when the character will appear. It could be in 5.07 instead of 5.06.]

• 1 month later...

According to a video clip sent yesterday to those who took part in the interactive Dharma Initiative website this summer and fall, Damon and Carleton spilled the beans on the title of the 7th episode: "316". They said that it was called that for 2 reasons but they didn't elaborate any further. They also said that we would see Benjamin Linus reading the book "Ulysses" by James Joyce. Damon read a passage from pg 316 out of the book- it was pretty much a nonsensical passage but he emphasized the word "hurley" used in a sentence. He said, "coincidence?, No..."

At the very end of the video clip a new Dharma logo was also revealed via a one second flash on the screen. I was able to pause it and it looks like the top of a lighthouse shining out on two sides...or possibly a street lamp. :animated_scratchchin:

• 2 weeks later...

Courtesy of; SPOILERFIX

Episode 5.07: 316

Airdate: February 25, 2009

• 12/18 - We're going to meet Jack's grandfather for the first time in episode 7! He'll be played by actor Raymond Barry, who's probably best known for his role as Tom Cruise's dad in Born on the Fourth of July. Source: The Ausiello Files

• 2 weeks later...

Several sources are hinting at the "316" title as referring to a flight number. Hmm..would this in any way be related to the mysterious new Ajira Airways? :animated_scratchchin:

• 1 month later...

THE WAY BACK TO THE ISLAND IS REVEALED TO THE OCEANIC 6, ON ABC'S "LOST"

"316" - The way back to the island is revealed to members of the Oceanic 6, but there's trouble ahead when not all of them wish to return, on "Lost," WEDNESDAY, FEBRUARY 18 (9:00-10:02 p.m., ET) on the ABC Television Network.

Note: This program will repeat Wed., Feb. 25 from 8:00-9:00 p.m., ET.

"Lost" stars Naveen Andrews as Sayid, Henry Ian Cusick as Desmond, Jeremy Davies as Daniel Faraday, Michael Emerson as Ben, Matthew Fox as Jack, Jorge Garcia as Hurley, Josh Holloway as Sawyer, Yunjin Kim as Sun, Ken Leung as Miles, Evangeline Lilly as Kate, Elizabeth Mitchell as Juliet and Terry O'Quinn as Locke.

Guest starring are Fionnula Flanagan as Eloise Hawking, Jeff Fahey as Frank Lapidus, Sai d Taghmaoui as Caesar, Zuleikha Robinson as Ilana, Mary Mara as Jill, Raymond J. Barry as Ray, Kavita Patil as Rupa Krishnavani, P. D. Mani as Nabil, Rebecca Hazlewood as Nalini, Patti Hastie as barfly, Glen Bailey as magician and Ned Van Zandt as Mr. Dorsey.

"316" was written by Damon Lindelof & Carlton Cuse and directed by Stephen Williams.

This episode of "Lost" will be available on ABC.com the day after airing on the network for users to watch online.

Source: ABC

• 3 weeks later...

Wow, another GREAT episode. Man, do I love this show!

A few thoughts:

Regarding Ben's bloody face and injured arm....

I SO hate it, but I REALLY fear that Penny may have met her demise! I really hope I'm wrong but here is my reasoning:

1. In the episode "Flashes Before Your Eyes", Mrs. Hawking told Desmond "you're not supposed to be together", when he tried to buy the engagement ring.

2. Everything is supposed to course-correct, according to Mrs. Hawking.

3. Mrs. Hawking told him last night that the island wasn't done with him yet, but he said he was done with the island. So what would be about the ONLY thing that would get him back to the island? Revenge against Ben for killing his wife or child.

4. Ben promised Widmore that he would kill Widmore's daughter.

5. He told Jack last night that he had to "take care of a promise he made to an old friend." By now we've learned that Ben almost always speaks with a forked tongue, so the word "friend" could very well have been used with sarcasm.

6. Then we see Ben at a marina, obviously hurt as a result of a fight of some sort. My fear is that he killed Penny, was discovered by Desmond who fought him in a rage and somehow Ben got away. This will result in Desmond returning to the island for retribution.

7. Course correction solved.

PLEASE LET ME BE WRONG!!

Regarding why Hurley came on the flight:

Hurley is carrying a guitar case...Charlie's guitar case, perhaps? My hunch is that the great communicator with the dead- aka Hurley-had another visit from Charlie, who convinced him that he must go back to the island...and bring his guitar. Far-fetched? Maybe, but somehow it seems like it would fit.

Where is Aaron?

If I had to guess, my hunch is that Kate gave him to Claire's mother, who would've still been in town. I mean, she wouldn't have given him to just anyone and she wants him to be safe. Why she wouldn't want Jack to know is beyond me though. And why the girl sleeps with him, tells him "I've always been with you, Jack", and then tells him on the plane that even though they are all on the plane together "they are not together". What? I'm seriously ready for Kate to join Charlotte, Claire, Christian and all the other island ghosties, and let someone with a spine, say Juliet, to take over. Seriously, she is becoming so annoying. Sawyer can have her as far as I'm concerned. Jack deserves better.

Ben still lies...alot. And he's a jealous little boy too.

He definitely didn't like Mrs. Hawking playing favorites with Jack, just like he didn't like Jacob favoring Locke. Watch out, Jack. And on the plane he told Jack he didn't know that Locke had killed himself, yet in the previews for next week, they show Locke getting ready to hang himself and Ben is in the room with him. tsk. tsk.

Funniest lines of the night:

Jack: How can you read?

Ben: My mother taught me.

Lapidus: Let me guess. We're not going to Guam, are we?

According to a video clip sent yesterday to those who took part in the interactive Dharma Initiative website this summer and fall, Damon and Carleton spilled the beans on the title of the 7th episode: "316". They said that it was called that for 2 reasons but they didn't elaborate any further. They also said that we would see Benjamin Linus reading the book "Ulysses" by James Joyce. Damon read a passage from pg 316 out of the book- it was pretty much a nonsensical passage but he emphasized the word "hurley" used in a sentence. He said, "coincidence?, No..."

At the very end of the video clip a new Dharma logo was also revealed via a one second flash on the screen. I was able to pause it and it looks like the top of a lighthouse shining out on two sides...or possibly a street lamp. :animated_scratchchin:

Several sources are hinting at the "316" title as referring to a flight number. Hmm..would this in any way be related to the mysterious new Ajira Airways? :animated_scratchchin:

Wow, Kayo!

You're good!

You were spot on with that "street lamp" prediction.

And those sources were right about 316 being the flight number.

("John 3-16" is also a famous bible passage from the New Testament, right?)

I love that LOST is back with a vengeance.

Unlike some other shows, LOST still has me watching because there are still some unsolved mysteries.

(That's what I miss about Heroes.)

And I just love your analysis of this episode. I do hope you're wrong about why Ben was all bloody, because that would just be tragic. And everything you said about Hurley and Kate is stuff I hadn't thought about but now totally agree with.

P.s. I know Sayid was shown a bit, but did he actually speak in this episode? I can't remember him doing so.

Jedi- I am so hopelessly addicted to this show! My husband is getting worried about me, lol!

Yes, John 3:16 is the bible reference you speak of. I loved Ben's "doubting Thomas" analogy directed at Jack too. Great piece of writing!

Hey, you're right! Sayid didn't speak at all during that episode. He did look surprised when he saw Jack and the others get on the plane though, which leads me to believe that someone (Ben? Widmore?) had to manipulate his "situation" to get him on the plane. He obviously was under arrest (ala Kate on flight 815) but for him to be on the EXACT flight as Jack & Co.- way too much of a coincidence. And they're extraditing him to GUAM? Yeah, right. Maybe we'll find out later that he was wanted for assassinating someone in Guam-heh, heh.

And we have the story of Jeremy Bentham next week- I ABSOLUTELY CANNOT WAIT!!

I almost shot a finger I was snacking on out my nose when Ben said that. He's one of my fav's on LOST.

Kinda weird when the butcher shop lady asked Jack what was in the bag. Think it was the way she blurted it out.

It's also funny, yet weird to note that Ben's mother died giving birth to Ben so she couldn't have taught him. :animated_scratchchin: