Top Chef: New York

Dade

Courtesy of: REALITY TV MAGAZINE

Top Chef Season 5 Contestants Revealed

October 3, 2008 11:00:16 by Paulene Hinds

lakshmi_colicchio.jpg

Bravo has unveiled the season 5 cast of Top Chef: New York, which will premiere on November 12th. After a season in Chicago, Top Chef returns to the big apple and joining host Padma Lakshmi and head judge Tom Colicchio is new taste arbiter Toby Young, a food critic and author of the bestselling and soon to be Simon Pegg-starring How To Lose Friends and Alienate People.

This season will also have its fair share of guest judges sitting at the table and during challenges. The always-impressive Martha Stewart will drop by as well as Dancing With the Stars

I look forward to this show...except the cast has no one from the west coast or Vegas this season..wonder why..

• 1 month later...

This was good -- so many chefs though! I don't remember how many they usually start with, but this seemed extra large to me. I do hate it though, on any of these reality shows when someone gets the boot before they ever really even start. It seems so unfair. But... I wasn't upset to see either of the chefs go. I imagine they will have other double elimination shows, or else it's going to be a very long season. ( which is ok by me!)

Bravo's "Top Chef" continued it streak of record-breaking premieres Wednesday night; the fifth-season debut setting a new all-time high.

The premiere of the New York edition was seen by 2.7 million viewers and earned a 1.4 rating among adults 18-49. That's up 19% among total viewers and 27% in the demo from March's fourth-season Chicago opener.

At a time when every show on broadcast is suffering year-over-year declines, the snappily edited cooking competition series has managed to grow every cycle.

Though previous attempts to move cable series to broadcast have failed (such as USA Network's "Nashville Star" airing last summer on NBC, as well as "Monk" and "Psych" during the writers strike), it would be easy to see NBC tempted to try again with next year's edition of "Chef." Then again, NBC also has new reality project "Chopping Block" waiting in the wings, starring Gordon Ramsay's tyrannical former boss Marco Pierre White, so perhaps "Chef" should stay put.

Despite its growth, "Chef" still ranked second in the demo for the night behind Comedy Central's "South Park" (3 million, 1.5).

Source: THRFeed.com

This is one of my favorite reality shows.

Also, this season I have a "7 degrees of separation" thingy going on. (More like 3 degrees though :lol: ) My good friend's sister married and the best man at the wedding was the blonde dude, I think his name is Jeff.

She mentioned it briefly last night but, we were at different poker tables so, I didn't get the details. I think she mentioned she worked with him when she lived in Florida but, not positive about that one.

I should be seeing her Friday so, I'll try and get some details about him then... I'll let ya'all know.

I find Stefan annoying. Even though he and Fabio are friends, Fabio is funny so his arrogance I can take. "I looove hot dog Do I know how to make hot dog? NO" and he's one of the top three in the hotdog quickfire.

Jill's Ostrich egg quiche just didn't cut it. I quess it was worse than Ariane's ultra sweet drink that Padma had to spit into her napkin. It was funny when guest judge desribed the quiche as "it taste like glue".

Still early and still getting to know the chefs. So far no big drama queens/kings.

I don't follow this show as much, but did see the Jill elimination. I'm always amazed at people who decide that the show is the best time to experiment! The ones who are winning so far have stuck to what they know. I felt kind of bad for Jill, but knew she was done when she couldn't articulate to the panel why she should stay. If she'd done a better speaking job I think she wouldn't of been eliminated. She does seem to be a nice person though.

• 1 month later...

Anyone still watching this? I love this show! And the reruns are on all the time, so I've seen all the episodes. It's funny how they're not showing the Christmas show anymore, I guess b/c no one got eliminated, there's no use in showing it. I have so many people I rooting for, though. It should be interesting who wins it all.

• 2 weeks later...

I have been an avid watcher of this show, and right now I am a slight bit annoyed with the way it is going, Stepan while he is a good chef is soooo over the top, I cannot tolerate Leigh, and Johesa(sp), I think he is the better chef, but they are letting their relationship get in the way of the cooking, and they both have significant others, soooo I really want her to leave next,lol, Love Fabio, what a hottie and sooo funny, and recently I was dissapointed that Arianne did not stand up for herself in the last elimination, Leigh and Johesa could have done a lot more for the team, but I think they wanted her gone. I do not see a clear winner at this point and usually we do by this point, I suppose it is anyones game right now.

One thing also that I have noticed is that OMG, Padma and Tom are soo serious and over the top this year, Tom has been rather short tempered, and judgemental, when in fact some of the challenges they put them thru they would never ever have to contend with in the real world. I am in the Restaurant business, have been for many yrs, so the drama that is portrayed on this show is a little over the top, and I think the judges and Padma are bordering on "snobs" this season, come on now, food is a fun thing to be enjoyed , Boo on them for making this soooo over the top as of late.

I agree with your entire post Fatcat.

As far as Tom and Padma... I think there's a bit of competition between the judges since the "snotty judge" came on board. Snob's can not be out done, ya know. ;)

it would have been interesting to know what they would have done if ALL the season 5 chefs would have won?

they stated the chefs on the chopping block would only be the ones who lose to the all star chefs.

i think it was a bit fixed as it seems they would have to have at least 3 chefs lose.

now at least when stephan goes on and on about how he won this challenge or that the other chefs can now say -- yes and remember when you were in the bottom 3 and didnt even earn one point --

i knew it would be jeff going home as they were not going to send Fabio home as he at least earned some points ( he and the guest judge didnt seem to like each other at all) and stephan has won too many other quick fire and eliminations for them to send him home...even though they say ( like in arriennes elimination ) they are only being judged on the current food prepared.

Gah-- I hate the new snotty judge. Is he trying to be witty? He's stupid. At least we didn't have to endure to much of that in tonight's episode.

I wanted Stephan to go. I don't like his turtle head, or his superior attitude.

I totally agree! I have wanted Stephan to get the boot since about the second show, And he can take that other piece of 'euro trash' with him. <-- Oh, snap!

I can't believe Jamie and Jeff went before Leah. :animated_scratchchin:

imo, Final four: Stephan, Mario, Hosea and Carla

I just don't see how anyone but, Stephan can win this. (ugh!!!)

I really thought Leah was going to go, after listening to them at the judges table. Something about how Jamie knew and understood her dish, and knew what she did wrong, and about Leah not having a clue....

The whole show, I thought it would be Jamie, but after that little bit, I had hopes it would be Leah.

Jamie is a much better chef than Leah, but she seemed so down tonight. Maybe the competition was getting to her and she was a little bit homesick or something.

And stupid judge-- we don't care what crap you have between your teeth. You are gross- shut up.

I caught that too Ivy.

They did seem to lean towards Leah as she didnt really know what she did and the fact she kept saying I GIVE UP when she did the quickfire.

Maybe they felt that Jamie should have known better and thats why she got the boot.

I think it sucked as the only bad thing on her dish was the stupid celery her fish was good they said .

Leahs dish was just tragic all the way around.

I am still routing for Hosea.

I was totally shocked that Jamie went home last night. I thought, if she went home last night, that Top Chef is just full of it, b/c it will be the second week in a row that someone, who's done so well, has gone home instead of the bottom person. Ariane instead of Leah and now Jamie instead? Even Hosea's been doing bad, along with Leah, and Jamie was doing so well all season.

I don't understand why Top Chef is picking off the better chefs. Even though Carla's been kind of rocky, I've been rooting for her. I think it'll be doen to the two Euro's this season.

I think it will be between Hosea and Stephan for 'Top Chef'.

As charming as Mario has been he's really not been that impressive or unimpressive when it comes to cooking. He just talks a good game and sounds goood when he says it. ;)

Carla definitely started off rocky but, I've appreciated "the love" she's put into her food and I'm glad she's on a roll right now... maybe she'll be the the steam that knocks the boys over for a victory.

Who we kiddin' Stephan going to win... and if I took away my personal feeling about him... he should win. (Hate admitting it though :lol: )

I can't stand either one of 'the Euros.' I'm starting to think this show is rigged, First the challenges have been things that are inherently European, I mean cmon, Freaking Eel?!

Why bother having a competition at all, just hand the award to Stephan.

And is Leah someone's niece or something? She should have gone home several shows ago.

I am hopping on the team Carla band wagon at this point, A Carla win would be a good thing.