Jon And Kate Plus 8 "vacation Shows"

parisville

I have watched every episode of Jon and Kate and enjoyed watching it in the beginning. It was real life TV, when Kate would get up in bedroom slippers, need that extra cup of coffee (do you blame her?) and we would watch their real lives right in front of us. Even though yes it is very irritating to see Kate Belittle Jon in EVERY episode, it was a fun family show to watch as it was realistic. Now, i won't even let my kids watch it because all it is, is where can TLC and Discovery send that family off to now on vacation. I mean come on. Every week, they seem to be traveling everywhere and something different every week. Is this really realistic when you have any kids, let alone 8?? It's disgusting to watch the network PAY them to go to tall these places and etc. This is not realistic at all anymore. And JOn and Kate seem to TAKE, TAKE, TAKE, no problems. Heck, Kate probably comes up with these ideas? What's it going to be next?? The trips are getting harder and harder to top? Are they going to send them out of the country??? to some KOREAN field trip, or wait NO, i'll be Kate would some Tropical Island for the kids to sunbathe in all week, but make sure you speak during it at least one day so you can write it off as a "business" trip. It's just getting RIDICULUS! Oh, but you can go to see a museum for 15 minutes during the trip so it's a "learning" trip, that's it!! Pretty soon, I hope they catch on to their charity case and noone is interested in what they are getting next. Next, Kate will want TLC to build them a new house and the crew is just too much and the kids are getting bigger. Does JOn still even have a job? Do they have nannies when the cameras aren't around?? And don't even get me started on their house in NOrth Carolina and their 4th of july dinner...Who in the HELL CAN AFFORD to feed a family of 10 crab legs and the works for dinner, esp for 3 year olds??? Come on? It's getting a little out of hand!!! I could see Christmas dinner, but 4th of July, isn't that usually hot dogs and hamburgers on the grill, potato salad, chips, fruit, beans???? I'm sure that was all Kate's idea too? She must have some fancy childhood memories growing up, or no, she didn't have any ...so that is why she is screwing the network and fans into fulfilling HER DREAMS! What does anyone else think? I know all the people i have discussed this with certainly agree..... The children are absolutely adorable, but it's getting too far fetched, like I said, to even allow my family to watch this. It is getting so unrealistic! BTW: kate probably has a stylist and hair and makeup crew by now..huh, cuz look at how her looks have changed...noone elses have changed that much!?!?

Well, I respectfully disagree with you on that one. I enjoy the vacation shows, and of course they're paid to go on them. They're having to live with being on camera too. That's worth something. Kudos to them for figuring out a way to earn enough money to raise all those children and have some fun in the process.

Unrealistic? hmmm...I don't think they'd consider their life unrealistic. I don't either. Probably just fortunate that they've been given these opportunities. I know they've said that on more than one occasion. It's unreal to have two sets of multiples...and they've dealt with it well.

Still enjoying the show...

• 2 weeks later...

Dude.... relax.... Trust me, if I had all those kids and a network wanted to film our lives, u better believe I would jump on it. I doubt Kate is telling TLC what she wants. She may control the Gosselings, but not the network. She may have some demands regarding her family, but nothing else. I enjoy them and watch and will continue to watch Mondays. They are just trying to survive and enjoy their family. What about celebrities getting stuff free? So Jon, so Kate, continue doing what ur doing and enjoy it. Don't worry about people talking crap about u. Your damned if u do, and your damned if you don't.

OK Let's just get real a moment here... First off I haven't seen all that much "vacation shows" to start with, only skiing and Disney, the other places they have been are VERY near their home... So what? They've been on two real vacations is the 3 or 4 years we have been seeing into their home... Why shouldn't they be allowed to go on vacation?

Second, I still see Kate not all dolled up on the show, and you would expect the producers to have hair and makeup for them when filming, they do every other show, why should Jon and Kate be different?

Third, we don't know who much they are getting paid to do the show, nor how much Jon is making at his real job, so don't even get me started on crab legs... They were in a coastal town, so maybe it was a treat they don't get much, since the kids were born, has anyone thought about that?

I have read this same type of statements on "blogs" from someone calling themselves family or family of family, and all I can say is it's sounding more and more like people are jealous... Now that's not saying that the starter of this thread is jealous, but the family and friends sure are sounding like it... I say get over it, cause Jon and Kate are the only one's like them in the country, and I would even think world maybe, and that's what makes things interesting, not where they are going... JMHO...

I gotta admit, the expression "real live TV" made me laugh. All these shows are scripted to some extent. They can't just put stuff on the air willy-nilly without some kind of control on the content. Heck, even the news isn't always "real life". :smilielol:

I wouldn't expect this show to be any different especially now it's become popular. It may have appeared like it wasn't scripted in the beginning but trust me, it was and still is. ;)

What about celebrities getting stuff free?

To go a bit off topic here -- this has always bugged me. I've seen people like Rosie O Donnell shower other celebs with gifts galore when they are expecting a baby, or getting married, or whatever. And many of these gifts are extravagant, and quite ridiculous, in my opinion. Impractical may be a better word, concerning babies anyway.

Why shower someone with gifts who is just going to buy whatever they want anyway. Maybe the celebrities that receive all these gifts end up donating them to charity. I hope so anyway.

But they could acknowledge each others' big moments in life without the excess and extravagance.

Now back to Jon and Kate--- I don't watch the show regularly, but always enjoy it when I do see it. When I've seen them on a vacation show, is seems like I've always heard Kate saying how she knows they would never be able to do this, if not for the show. She seems genuinely appreciative. I mean, it was because of the show that she got a free tummy tuck wasn't it? And, did I see Jon getting hair transplants? Again -- if I actually saw what I though I saw, I'm sure they thought it would be great advertising for them to do Jon's head. Although, after seeing and hearing him describe some things, I can't believe anyone would do it. But then again, bald doesn't bother me at all, so I can't understand what the big deal is.

You hit it on the head Ivy... They do seem VERY appreciative of everything they get, no matter what it might be, I have even seen Kate thank the lady that sends them the numbered t-shirts on the show... Poor Kate is getting a blasting right now, and I don't understand it... They just showed the ski trip recently and I know on that show they said the name of the company that gave them the coats several times, and talked about them being donated and how nice they were and stuff... I think they are very humble... It's just sad to me, that others can't be happy for them, the kids mainly, I mean if it weren't for donation or places "using" them for advertising, the kids probably wouldn't get to do half as much as they do... I have heard that Kate has a personal organic chief, but I think people misunderstood when Sara Snow came to teach Kate about cooking, I've heard about the new child care assistant for Kate, and again, with 8 children, and 6 of them being 4 years old now, she needs some help I think... Just think, the younger ones will be starting school soon, and then there isn't going to much to tape during the day, so they may have to go to taping outings and things like that, and I think we should be thankful that we get to see what things are like for them... JMHO...

She didn't need a child care assistant til she cut Jodi and Beth out of their lives.. Just sayin

I love the kids, they are adorable... Aaden is the sweetest boy EVER

I don't blame them one bit for taking what they can get... it won't last forever

I guess I don't know what the complaining is about. They have an arrangement with TLC -- I don't know what it is, but they have to be getting some kind of compensation for shooting the show. The trips, clothes, hair transplants and plastic surgery are extra perks aren't they? Donated by people who want to help, or get essentially free advertising? I know I'd take it, if given the opportunity ( except for the hair thing -- that just freaked me out! I'm also female and very un-bald.)

Kate can come off a little bit obsessive about some things, maybe even a little anal. I know the type. But I wish I had half her organization skills and desire for neatness. I'm a little too easy going about that kind of stuff.

I don't know if Jodi was really related, or is they just called her 'Aunt Jodi'. Sorry, but I don't know why they aren't around anymore. But I do know that I wouldn't want to take care of those kids. Not because of the kids, but because I know Kate would find something wrong with how I did it. I do like Kate, but I know women like this, who are extremely fussy about what their kids are allowed to do and not do. And even if you follow their rules to a 'T', they will still criticize. Kate is a bit of a control freak, I think we can agree -- and while I know she enjoys any breaks she gets, and appreciates help, you know in her mind she's thinking people should to things differently -- her way.

And that's ok -- that's her, and they are her kids. I just wouldn't be able to work with her. More power to those who can!

So, I googled 'What happened to Aunt Jodi' and wow. Lots of drama came up. Who knew? I just sit back and enjoy the show every Monday. It's a shame that family drama is all out there for the world to see. It's ALL about the kids..I hope the grownups in this situation take a step back and think about and do what's best for those little sweethearts. Sad.

Aunt Jodi blogspot

and yet another earlier blog

There's so much more, but I really don't care to read it.

I checked out those blogs. I didn't read them all, but they did make me think a little differently about the show. I have wondered myself how long this show could go on. I also agree that it is affecting the kids. It has to be. And for all of them to be surrounded by cameras all the time, and have their every little move watched by so many people, there's no way this won't affect them for the rest of their lives. Good or bad I can't say, but as much as they want to show their 'normal' lives, they don't have normal lives at all.

One, because they are all multiples. And even though it's not that unusual to be a twin, it is unusual to have sextuplets as siblings.

Also, I'm sure the filming crew is always visible. I know that's the norm for them, but it's probably not a good way to grow up- thinking everything you do is film-worthy.

I'm surprised at myself that I never really considered how being a part of this show is affecting the kids. I don't really know how much, if any, time off they have. I imagine they do have times when the cameras are not there.

I suppose this show will evolve to a few specials throughout the year. Jon and Kate plus 8 Christmas, or vacation specials. Whatever -- it's going to get a little dull as the kids get older and go to school.

I never saw the 'Gum-gate' episode. I only saw a few previews. And I haven't seen a lot of the shows where Kate apparently has the bigger melt-downs and freaks out about the kids getting dirty. It's not hard to imagine her doing these things though.

Geez, I enjoy the show so much but hated reading the blogs. Makes one think a little about what the children are going through but then again, the children wouldn't have half of what they do without the exposure from the tv show so it's a double edged sword.

I agree, Joyami.

AND I sincerely hope that if anybody read what the sister had to say in her blog it didn't ruin the show for you. I almost regret posting it now.

I took it as one side to a very multi-sided issue that is really none of my business. Nobody knows the whole truth but all of them. No amount of posting one side of an issue will come close to revealing the truth (that should have been kept private in the first place)..and like I said, it's not our business..it's theirs. I think it's wrong that such personal going's on were put on a public webpage. enough said...

Of course, I'll continue to watch the tv show because I enjoy watching the children and Jon and Kate.

Probably one of the most difficult things about being on a show like this is reading different blogs and forums, and having to read everyone's opinion of what they see on tv. Everyone seems more than willing to tell them what they should and shouldn't do.

I really don't want to go down that road. I know I would not look very special, if my day to day life was shown on tv. And I don't think they come off that bad. I love it when they show each child's special day. I think it's wonderful that they do that. And as far as the vacations go, I know it's a wonderful opportunity for them, but I have gone on vacation with little kids before, and while it's fun, sometimes you wonder why you did it at all. It would be so much easier to just stay home!

I still like the show. Kate doesn't bother me. I can see why people say the things they do about her, but I don't think they should be so mean about it. We each have our own personality types, and hers just happens to be controlling and organized. Not always a bad thing! What would the world be like if everyone was easy-going? We need people to be in charge and to organize, and we also need people to relax, do what they're told, but still know how to have fun.

They love each other, love their kids, and obviously think doing this show is good for them. I'm not sure if I agree, but since they didn't ask me, I'll let them make the decisions for their family, and I'll just stick to my own.

The person that wrote that blog isn't Aunt Jodi. Aunt Jodi is indeed married to Kate's brother Uncle Kevin... The person that wrote those things were Jodi's own sister, and I'm sorry, but at best she's getting second hand information... With us not being involved in their lives we don't know what happened, and I for one don't want to even guess... Aunt Jodi only kept the kids when Jon and Kate had something they needed to do by themselves, or with one of two children at a time, she wasn't there all the time like the new child care assistant is, so Jodi not being on the show has no bearing on this new helper, sorry, but that's the way I see it, Jodi had 4 kids of her own, so there was no way she was there all the time, and Beth wasn't even around that much, she only came around when they were going on a trip... If you ask me, I have a very different opinion about what might have happened with Aunt Jodi, and it's just simply that she was replaced by the new child care assistant, and it either made her mad, or hurt her feelings, and that's why these things are being said... Think about it, Beth's husband owns the company Jon works for, do you think they are going to piss his wife off by telling her they don't want her doing things with them any longer? I don't think that's true at all... JMHO as always...

Just because Jodi said it was true don't make it so... I can say pigs fly, but unless you see them out of your window don't make it true... All I am saying is don't buy into everything that is being said... Like I stated before I think Jodi is being sort of a scorned lover here, in so much as she is no longer on the show, and I think that's because Kate needed daily help now that the kids are at a stage that they require a lot of eyes and hands on activities, I think it's all just jealousy personally... She is upset she's no longer on the show... This is as always JMHO...

I think those that are looking for a reason to hate kate or anyone for that matter, will find it. I believe Jon and Kate are good parents. No they are not perfect, but damn, who is? Chill out! They are doing the best they can for their family.

I personally think it's better that they have paid help instead of just friends and family because of the level of assistance a family that large needs. Of course friends and family are great to help, but you also don't want to burden them either.

As for the boo hoo over the free stuff the family gets, it's the companies that are getting the better end of the deal. It would cost so much more to pay for a commercial. Instead, they get free publicity through the show.

• 4 months later...

While I do agree the vacation shows are annoying, I have the simplest solution ever. If it annoys you... Stop watching it. That's what I did. Sure I think the kids are adorable... But Maddie and Cara started to seem very spoiled and somewhat nasty to me after a while. Pushing the little kids down and things like that. I stopped watching because I thought along the same lines, It isn't healthy to have a network following your children around day in and day out, And it isn't healthy to have things handed to you either. Kids who have every thing handed to them through out their life grow up to be very unhappy adults, Because they can't understand why they must work and work hard to have things, They think every thing should just be handed over to them, easy peasy.

It's actually very realistic, because many parents are doing exactly the same thing. Over indulging their children because they feel guilty about not spending time with them. While it may be true that the kids are over indulged, at least they are spending time with them. And that is the most important thing you can spend on your kids.

Archived