American Idol Contestant Updates

TV_Paige

branding_blackvoices100x15.jpg

'American Idol's' Trenyce 'Ain't Misbehavin'

by Jawn Murray, BlackVoices.com

trenyce.jpg

Trenyce

"American Idol: Season Two" finalist Trenyce is the latest star from the hit reality series to be cast in the revival of the popular Broadway musical, "Ain't Misbehavin'" The 28-year-old singer (born Lashundra Trenyce Cobbins) will join the musical when it kicks off in November, starring opposite "American Idol" winner Ruben Studdard and fellow Season Two contestant Frenchie Davis.

"When I heard Ruben was a part of it, I was excited because it has been such a while since we really got a chance to hang out," Trenyce began. "When I got the role and he called me and it took us a while to get off the phone because we were catching up on each others lives. He is like my brother. I love him so much." Trenyce began.

"And then Frenchie, I hadn't really seen her since I went to see 'Rent' a few years ago," Trenyce continued. "It will be nice to see her again as well. I love the fact that we were all from the same season and now we are all reuniting on stage again, but in another capacity."

aint_poster200.jpg

Broadway Poster featuring former 'American

Idols' Ruben Studdard and Frenchie Davis

Also involved in the "Ain't Misbehavin'" production is a fourth person affiliated with the popular Fox music reality franchise. "Our vocal coach from 'Idol' was Debra Byrd and Debra is our vocal coach for this show too," explaining the connection.

"So this really an 'Idol' reunion for us. I am just blessed to be able to be a part of a cast that I already know. And there are only five characters in the show and I don't know what it is about that number, but I will be in the 'Top 5' again!"

In 'Ain't Misbehavin',' Trenyce plays Charlaine, the youngest of the ladies who gets schooled about love. "I love this character because it shows the audience, yet another side of me. Charlaine is silly, endearing, and the total opposite of any other character I have played so far. I look forward to bringing her to life," she said.

byrd240.jpg

'American Idol' Vocal Coach Debra Byrd will also be

vocal coach for 'Ain't Misbehavin''

Since her appearance on "American Idol," the Memphis-bred powerhouse has starred in stage productions like the E. Lynn Harris play, "Not A Day Goes By," "Dreamgirls" and David E. Talbert's "Love in the Nick of Tyme."

She's also headlined the Las Vegas production, "V: The Ultimate Variety Show," had a cameo in Queen Latifah's "Beauty Shop" and continues to perform shows and do appearances related to "American Idol." Recently, the singer has signed with Vincent Cirrincione Associates, the Hollywood management company that represents Halle Berry and Taraji P. Henson.

Now she's shifted her focus to acting. "Let me tell you, it is the most at home I have been with an agency since I moved out to Los Angeles," she exclaimed of Cirrincione and his team. "I can call them any time of day or night and they are consistently there. I just hope to be that next breakout star for them like Taraji!"

trenyce_varietyshow240.jpg

Trenyce (center) in 'V: The Ultimate Variety Show'

Trenyce just wrapped production on the Maurice Jamal film, "Friends and Lovers: The Ski Trip 2," and also co-executive produced a sketch comedy pilot called "LMAO (Laughing My Ass Off)" that included an appearance by Morris Chestnutt.

"It is the female version of Eddie Murphy and Arsenio Hall when they played all of the characters in 'Coming to America' mixed with a little of 'The Tracey Ullman Show,'" Trenyce explained about the latter project.

"We shot the pilot two weeks ago and are in talks with a few networks that are very interested in it," she added. "The fact that we created, wrote, executive produced and starred in it made us feel like we had accomplished a lot, even if nothing happens we can say, 'we did that.'"

trenyce_glamheadshot.jpg

Trenyce

Though she's been concentrating on her acting endeavors as of late, that didn't stop Trenyce from bringing down the house with an ambitious rendition of Whitney Houston's "I Will Always Love You" at the recent NAACP Theater Awards in Los Angeles.

"It introduced and reintroduced people to me. Most of Black Hollywood was there that night from film, TV and theater and it allowed people to hear me live and to see that I had not gone anywhere," she expressed. With the way her career is progressing, I doubt Trenyce is going anywhere, anytime soon.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived