Top Design

Dade

Courtesy of: REALITY TV MAGAZINE

Bravo Announces Finalists for Top Design

July 17, 2008 03:00:42 by Christine_Navratil

Today Bravo announced the names and locations of the thirteen men and women who are going to compete to be crowned the top designer for the second season of Top Design which premieres on September 3.

The winner of Top Design will win $100,000 cash prize and a four-page editorial showcase in ELLE DECOR magazine. The contestants are:

Andrea, 36 - Hometown: Calgary, Canada; Resides in Santa Monica Mountains, Calif.

Eddie, 30 - Hometown: Greenwich, Conn.; Resides in New York City

Jennifer, 28: Hometown: Minneapolis, Minn.: Resides in New York City

Kerry, 40 - Hometown: Easley, S.C.; Resides in Atlanta, Ga.

Natalie, 24: Hometown: Montgomery, Ala.: Resides in Atlanta, Ga.

Nathan, 30 - Hometown: Denver, Colo.; Resides in New York City

Ondine, 38 - Hometown: Mountainside, N.J.; Resides in New York City.

Preston, 27: Hometown: Amarillo, Texas: Resides in Los Angeles, Calif.

Robert, 40 - Hometown: New Brunswick, Canada; Resides in Houston, Texas

Serge, 27 - Hometown: Los Angeles, Calif.; Resides in: New York City

Shazia, 30 - Hometown: Plano, Texas; Resides in Houston, Texas

Teresa, 35 - Hometown: Tulsa, Okla.; Resides in Las Vegas, Nev.

Wisit, 30

• 2 months later...

Anyone watching this? They have some pretty silly challenges, and so far they have worked in teams. I think it would be nice if we could see some individual work. I think some would fall flat on their faces if they were on their own. I also think someone was sent home -- the architect, Jennifer? --last week, who would have done much better on her own. And this week too, one of the better designers was sent home. He was the team leader, so he took the fall, but the other guy, Wisit, whose charm completely escapes me, was the one who was completely clueless and worthless.

It's not a great show, but it's ok. I'd like to see what they can really do though -- maybe give them some reasonable time to work, and let them work on their own, rather than rushed team challenges... hopefully, that's what's coming.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm watching it Ivy...but to be honest...I'm not really into this season yet. I don't really have a fav yet...for the most part, they're all a bunch of egotistical bitchy designers. I kind of like Ricky Schroeder's wife though (forgot her name)...she seems sensible.

I really hate the team challenges...you never get to see the individuals style...it's always just a clash of personalities and the biggest mouth usually gets their way.

I thought the team that did the insect decopage was worse than the team that was on the bottom. That bedroom was not his style at all...too feminine imo...and he was just such a beer and football kind of 'dude'! For some odd reason the judges loved it...???

As much as I really didn't care for dark haired woman that just got eliminated...I couldn't stand how the 2 queens she was paired up with totally dominated her...and completely threw her under the bus at judging. She didn't deserve blame for the loss...not when they wouldn't let her have a voice in the design...and the unfinished window valence was not her fault anyway. Geesh...the one guy on her team wanted to put upholstery on the valences...and she talked him out of it. I don't blame her for calling the one guy an A-hole...he was one. She was sabotaged and I just didn't think it was fair....eh...no great loss though...she was weakest in previous challenges.

I agree about Shaz. She never had any incredible ideas, and they all said how she wasn't the hardest of workers, but I wish she could have gone out because of something wrong or bad that she did, rather than being ganged up on by those other two guys.

I also agree about them being bitchy. That scene in the store with Eddie?? ( guy who works on Martha Stewart's magazine) was hilarious.

It's not the greatest. The judges seem to have cobs up their butts too. That one always look like he just smelled a fart or something.

Todd Oldham seems nice, and seems like he tries to help them all out, but the rest are self-important whackos.

The judges seem to have cobs up their butts too. That one always look like he just smelled a fart or something.

:hahohi:

Jonathan Adler...so true!!!

I finally went to Bravo and looked up the show...Top Design Home Page

I can't stand talking about these people and not recalling their names...:wacko:

Todd does seem like a really nice guy...and helpful too...but Margaret and Kelly...ugh...you called it right...cobs up the butt for sure! Too funny!

I am amazed at the freak-fest that is this show. From the judges to most of the contestants.....

I completely hate Eddie, and that he works for 'Martha Stewart', does not help. It doesn't help her, in my eyes either. This is the kind of douche bag who works for her? Bleh....

Speaking of freaks...Kelly Wearstler in that over-sized puffy sleeved black top paired with that ridiculous hat ... :o

Separately...eh...maybe they are ok...together...she looked like a clown. Then at judging she goes all bride of Frankenstein!

kelly_topdesign.png

kelly_topdesign2.jpg

Ridiculous!! It's hard to take a design show seriously when the judges cannot even style themselves. :rolleyes:

The table setting that Nathan did...whaaatthehellwasthat! I can appreciate an artistic and modern approach to design, and something less conventional...but that was so minimalistic and basic. I just didn't see the design aspect in it.

I really shouldn't try though I guess....this show seems to be more into being a "reality show" rather than finding a good/top designer. They've already set it up for Nathan and Eddie to make it to the finals.....not sure yet who else...probably Ondine or Andrea. Everyone else is just filler.

What was up with the Bride of Frankenstein (I know you said it above ImIn but those were the first words out of my mouth too :) ) hair on Kelly Wearstler??? And the ones they picked as the winning legs of the tri-athelon (sp?). I did not like any of their picks. I guess I would make a crummy designer :)

Honestly, what is happening to my reality TV? I am not happy with most of the shows out there, and I am a reality show junkie!

Well, I've never heard of her, but apparently she is known for the bizarre, and if she failed to deliver there would be huge disappointment amongst those who give a crap. Whatever -- I'm with the rest of you -- a show about design from someone who dresses in costumes? Yeah -- I care what you think. :rolleyes:

I watched most of this show last night for the first time and was annoyed by the judges (yet again on another reality show).

Nathan the designer "genius" is bland.

What the judges disliked, I liked (ok), evidently they have their favorites chosen.

What's up with the freaky bucket hat?

I agree with most here

I thought it interesting that they loved Nathan and his deconstruction of not setting the plates out and stuff. But they hated Preston who did the exact same thing and I thought it looked much better ..flowers and all. He explained it was for a mothers day motif

Nathan diarrhead in his mouth a little bit. You what dude????

I get it, I get it-- it's supposedly cute to say you threw up in your mouth a little, or that you peed a little, or even that you sharted. All these things are anatomically possible. But how the heck do you diarrhea in your mouth??? That's messed up.

Bye bye Wisit...I won't miss ya! :animated_wave:

I thought it was stupid and wrong to make them change keys and take over someone else's design choices...paint colors, fabric, furniture, etc, and make them work into their own design aesthetic. Not getting to meet the client and get a feel for the user and their needs is important in design....word of mouth by your competition, that may want to sabotage you, is just setting up the designers for failure....resulting in a poor end product for the client that has to live with the space. Designing a space like that in 2 days with a limited budget...staying green, having to incorporate existing furniture etc, scrambling for accessories, seems to be challenge enough imo. It seems reality shows in general think they need to provide twists and shock value for the viewers perverse pleasure rather than to just provide a show that focuses on showcasing someone's talent and abilities....the later of which I would prefer.

All I can say is Eddie got very lucky he got Nathan's room ... all he did was carry out Nathan's original plan. Was there any of Eddie's ideas or originality in the room? (I don't think so.) I wanted to smack him when he didn't give any credit to Nathan for the win (as much as Nathan's smugness irritates me, he deserved the mention.)

I'm In...

ditto on...

"All I can say is Eddie got very lucky he got Nathan's room ... all he did was carry out Nathan's original plan. Was there any of Eddie's ideas or originality in the room? (I don't think so.) I wanted to smack him when he didn't give any credit to Nathan for the win (as much as Nathan's smugness irritates me, he deserved the mention.)"

• 2 weeks later...

Eddie is an idiot. Martha Martha Martha...shut up already!!!

His dining room was completely tacky...they should have taken away his immunity and eliminated him for creating such a horrid abomination and believing it was brilliant.

The only time I have ever seen a couch pulled up to a dining table was at a family Christmas dinner at my in-laws. Yeah -- it worked for that purpose, but I don't think I'd want that on a regular basis, let alone for 'style'.

I hope Martha fires his ass-- making her stuff look like such crap.

Has this show been on before or is this the first season? Well, it's my first season and I was wondering are there ever any straight males on this show? The men on this show are so over the top. Eddie is annoying. I'm still trying to figure out why Nathan never said it was his original idea and let Eddie get all the glory for it.

I think it has had one previous season, but this is the first one I've watched. I would think gay men everywhere would protest the stereotype that is represented on this show. ( others too, but this one is a huge offender) Eddy is the worst.

Eddie is the cattiest male on reality tv and the judges are giving him a really big head. He's not all that with his boring designs. Then again, look at the judges.....bucket head gets the award for the most hideous judge in a reality show. Honestly, how do you take someone's critiquing serious when they look like they had a blindfold on when they got dressed in the morning?

Forgive me, but all the judges are so bad, I'm not sure who 'bucket head' is.

It sounds like next week that dude from Flipping out gives someone a piece of his mind about their wardrobe. They make it look like he's talking about Jonathan, but it could be anyone....

Yep... this is the 2nd season for the show.

I watched it #1 (usually in the re-runs) and it seemed like it was a bit more interesting than this season.

The designers were a little better and more interesting than Season 2 ... and the challenges were

also more interesting.

It's a shoot off of Design Star .... and doesn't measure up .... but, I still watch.

And ... YES ... where DID they get these judges ??????

Here's some re-cap stuff of the rooms done on Season One ... is you wanna take a look

http://www.bravotv.com/Top_Design/episodes/index.shtml

Is Design Star still on?

"Bucket Head" - the chickie who would wear anything on her head including really bad hair styles. What a freak!

Hey, with all it's flaws this show still beats watching Rachel Zoe who looks like she's in her 50's but managed to get her age listed on IMDB as 37.

Oh, ok -- I think her name is Kelly Werstler, or something like that. I don't know who she is or why she's a judge, but apparently that is what she's known for-- looking really bizarre an freaky. Wow -- what a great sense of style. :rolleyes: Isn't that one way teenagers rebel? And she is no teenager!

Rachel Zoe says she's 37 -- getouttahere.. Try 57. I've never watched that show, but remember her when she was a guest judge on PR.

Archived