Renny - Week 2

CeCiMom

A socialite is a person who is known to be a part of fashionable society because of his or her regular participation in social activities and fondness for spending a significant amount of time entertaining and being entertained, which can also involve their devoting considerable time and resources to public charitable or philanthropic activities. Socialites are usually in possession of considerable wealth, inherited or self-made, that can sustain their steady attendance at social functions. Their social movements have been published in the UK's Tatler magazine and they might be listed in features such as the Social Register of the United States.

History

The socialite as a distinct cultural category in American cities arose in the late 19th century Gilded Age. Newspapers expanded greatly and reported the balls, parties and other entertainments among the expanding class of rich people and social climbers. Many newspapers published these reports in a regular "Society" page or section, and the persons who were regularly reported there came to be called "socialites." In the United Kingdom, the term "socialite" was first used to describe well-born women, usually married to prominent husbands, who became popular hostesses and planned extravagant, coveted society parties. Over the years, the term has come to represent people of all stripes and backgrounds who have developed a habitual presence on the social scenes of big metropolitan cities such as London, New York City, Mumbai, and Paris.

Today

Socialites today are men and women known for living entertained lives and being reliably present at notable social events, which may sometimes involve charity fundraisers. Their recognition derives not merely from wealth or social stature, but instead from a reverence for socializing, interest in presenting themselves fashionably, and inclination to beguile. Some socialites are heirs and heiresses while others make their own name and/or money. The term "socialite" can be used in a string of descriptive nouns, such as "author, entrepreneur and socialite" to indicate a professional person's sociable lifestyle, but is perhaps best known for describing people whose recognition comes primarily from being a regular part of glamorous social gatherings.

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for the info!

I would think if you are invited to a lot of big social events, you usually have to "return the favor" by inviting your hosts to your home in order to keep getting the invitations. So you gotta have money to reciprocate. Although I guess you can just attend Charity stuff if they know you're going to make a financial contribution!

There was comments yesterday about how nice her skin is. I looked while she was prepping for bed last night and you guys are right! She has great skin for her age, and her neck is a lot nicer that Sheila's. Renny also rubbed lotion on her neck too. So the lady does try to take care of herself.

As for her flapper-wear.....she looks like what a lot of people wear for mardi gras in N O. I bet there's lots of parties in N O that people dress that way year round....to keep the mardi gras going.

jmho :pixiedust:

Yes, I said she had "good skin" but I should have used the word lovely, because that is how it appears. It also appears to me that she takes care of her skin, I'm sure besides flapper hats she has a few of those big ole' picture hats to guard her face from the sun.

I have hair just like Michelle, and I must say it does have a mind of it's own. That's NOT the reason she has a big head, but I'm still trying to figure out how she thinks she has so much power. This game does not allow egos to last too long, unless you're ED, so she needs to reel it in a little. Next week is a whole new story.

Oops, wrong board, sorry

I just realized something, everything Renny says sounds like she's being defensive, but it's just the way she speaks.

She's a bit abrasive in speech and it can totally be taken wrong from someone who doesn't know her well.

I have hair just like Michelle, and I must say it does have a mind of it's own

Mine too and I have to be really careful on humid days. It's down to my waist and on a bad day I could look like the Bride of Frankenstein--if I let it. No, not really, but it's not imaginable.

Product, product, product. And if I was on tv, more product.

^you know, i'm kindof hoping that happens. I'm realizing more and more by the day that just about all the other HG piss me off and manage to do stupid, annoying things daily, but Renny is one of the few that's managed to recover from an bad first few days and she's really growing on me

I don't intend to be mean, but with all her talk about wine . . . . socialite = barfly? :lookaround:

Ya gotta admit, livin' and growin' up in N.O. is sooo different from what the majority of these HGs have ever experienced. -_-

I would LOVE it if Renny gets HoH and sends bubblehead packing. He so wanted to put her up and was convinced to do otherwise. I can see Renny with the group in her HoH rom discussing noms. They tell her she can't nominate Jessie and she retorts in her snarky voice, "The Hell I can't!" She's not a pushover like Jerry and Jessie.

But who else would she put up?

I like Renny and it is sad that she got her self in bad with Jesse, because he is a loose cannon. He is sooo childish on want her out, there are bigger fish to fry right now , of vcourse Renny could jump up and surprise us, but I would love that,lol

Archived