Design Star #3

Slowpoke

It starts tonite (6/1) on HG-TV

Here are the new batch of designers.... and one mystery designer

http://www.hgtv.com/hgtv/ds_2008_contestants/

I thought there was an old Thread for this - couldn't find it

(Mods... dump my post there if one exists please)

................................................................................

Phooey... I goofed.

It starts 6/8/08 ..... I'm so embarrassed :blush::hide:

• 2 weeks later...

Rejuv ... don't think they air at same time.

See if this link works for their scheduled times http://www.tvguide.com/tvshows/food-networ...listings/203433

Seems like they have repeat viewings like Design Star does.

I'm anxious to see what happens this 2nd episode on D.S.

They dumped all the wanna-bes out in the open with cots to sleep on ....

Lumber, etc. and a set amount of cash to build a house.

(sounded like this is where they'd be staying for the rest of the show)

lol... they didn't look too happy about it :P

Interesting show last night, I think??

So they got a real house........ok.

I think they had a couple viable losers last night. The guy that left wasn't long for the show anyway so fine, weed him out early. I have a fear that that young blonde guy might be around a while. That gives me something to look forward to......the day he falls flat on his face. I don't know what the judges saw in him in the interview process to make them call him back, I thought his presentation sucked both times.

Tracee came out swinging way too hard at the judging. I agreed with most of what she said about the way the decision making went but geesh! She should have taken a swing at that little creep that called her mommy dearest.

I'm liking the two guys that did the bedroom together. The snorer can sleep on top of that big bed.

The dining room crybaby, isn't she the one America chose? America what were you thinking?!

well...I was disappointed they didn't have to sleep outside on the cots and build their own house...:lol: I'd have loved to see all those primadonnas roughing it! Anyway...I knew there'd have to be a twist...drats!

Too soon to have a real favorite...but rather like the 2 guys that did the bunk bedroom. Michael (blond)...annoying. Tracee...will be gone soon...shouldn't have thrown the others under the bus like she did...even though she was right to a certain extent. Trish...b*tch. The 2 dining room girls...eh... D. Paul...I don't even remember him being on the show. And the guy that got cut...deserved it.

I really liked the bunk bedroom design...not sure if I would want to sleep in such close proximity to 5 people though...but appeared quite stylish. The living room was really nice too...tasteful. Dining room...not so much...painted hutch was a mess and way too many accessories. The sunroom...eh....kind of a snore. The orange/rust bedroom was horrible and so 70's...and not in a retro kind of way either...but in a way that looked like it hadn't been redecorated since the 70's. I did like the paint color...but that was about it.

Ditto on almost all the comments you 2 posted.

It DID seem that we got to see a good amount of their personalities for it being a first challenge.

and ... still can't believe Michael Stribling is on the show .... guess he's the token Weirdo for DS #3 <_<

I HATED that those girls painted that big beautiful table - just ruined it, IMO. If they wanted something that looked like a concrete slab, then just pour some damn concrete.

yes! it was a fireplace they did the lousy paint job on...that was the mess I was thinking of and mistakenly called a hutch. :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

I was kinda disappointed with what any of them did with the rooms.

I was expecting some really great stuff with the amount of money they were given to work with.

They had $500 to spend at Michael's, plus 2 gallons of paint. I find it hard to believe any of them spent their entire budget. All of the rooms looked pretty minimalist with the exception of Mikey V and they told him he went too far, go figure.

Now, on to the good news. The only thing better than Tracee go home was seeing Michael go home. He thought he was untouchable. The way he walked around to each person and complimented them then made his little boy faces was sickening. Looks like he should have spent more time on his own space. The elevator ride was priceless......he wanted his mommy! I loved it when Vern told him he couldn't hide behind someone else on this one. Too bad they didn't let him just walk away at the original interview and give someone else a shot.

lol ... the clip editors sure didn't hold back on 'setting him up' for the Big Kill.

Thought it was the most entertaining part of the show .... what the designers

did with their rooms sure wasn't :P

I thought the challenge was difficult because Michael's is a craft store...not a furniture or accessory type shop that these people are used to shopping in. Almost everything that went in the room really needed to be made or altered...not just purchased and set in. They needed to think a bit outside the box...look at typical items and use them in unconventional ways. I thought at least Michael's room had some interesting design elements especially the floor...though it really didn't look like Spain at all. Not many of the other designs looked like their countries either, for that matter.

And yes...Michael made a complete fool of himself with his fake compliments and then crying about wanting his mommy! He deserved to go home before Tracee just because of his poor sportsmanship and lousy attitude. Tracee still has got to go soon...her designs have been the worst. I don't understand how she even made it on the show. Michael may have had some talent...but there is no way someone with his catty and snide personality should be rewarded with their own tv design show. The producers would surely want someone more positive and likable than him to win. I'm glad he got the boot.

I don't really have a favorite yet...but I'm leaning toward either of the other 2 guys still remaining...Matt and Mikey V.

episode 4 pics

I seem to recall Design Star #1 or #2 also doing a Dollar Store challenge .... limiting but same type thing

(anyone remember which one?)

They did waaaaay better with what they had than this group :excl:

While I really wanted Tracee gone, Michael was my second choice to leave, so kudo's to him! I think them keeping Tracee week after week is setting her up for a huge fall! She looked so cocky when she was walking back to the green room after the elimination.

Season 1 when David Bromstat won they had to shop in a pet shop. Most of them did some very creative things with the items they had to choose from that time. David did a really creative "carpet" with different colors of pine litter shavings. So this challenge was no harder than on previous seasons. It seems like its always more about concept, definitely not going to the furniture store and moving in pieces. Come to think of it, that first season they were divided into groups of 2 I think and had to shop at a variety of stores, there was also a beauty supply store and an auto parts store. Michael's is looking pretty good about now.

I agreed with the winning suite the judges and Sarah picked.

But... I'm not clear about the couch being the issue for Stephanie being the one getting canceled.

I thought the reason it took her sooo long to shop that last time was because she wanted to make

sure she brought back a SEVEN foot couch. Did she finally say the heck with it and get one a few

inches longer ? ? ... or was the reason it didn't get thru the door because it was too wide ...

or did someone measure incorrectly to begin with ?

(wonder why they didn't take the door off the hinges if they only needed an inch or inch and a half ?)

Anyone know the answer - - maybe I just missed something.

I was under the impression that the couch was too wide to fit through the stairhall door and too big to get into the elevator. I don't know if it was too long for the elevator or what ... I do remember seeing someone measure the room door...was that Stephanie's team? It seems really odd to me that the doors in the hall wouldn't be wide enough or that there wouldn't be a service elevator...or some logical means to get furniture in and out of the hotel. The couch did look big...but it didn't seem oversized (?) ...idk. They kept saying it had to be 7 feet long max...but I thought it was because it would have been the right size for the space available in the room.

I think she got eliminated because of that screw up, her presentation video and that she didn't speak up to the panel about her contributions to the room. It seemed like she really only shopped a lot...and contributed little else...and in her video, I thought she seemed a bit trampy (maybe it was her overuse of makeup, big hair, tight top, etc...)

It appeared that the judges had a hard time selecting which one to get eliminated...probably they were hoping Tracee would have flopped and it would have been an easy decision to boot her. Tracee is still there though...:lol:...this challenge seemed like it was her style. She definitely doesn't have the charisma to host a show...maybe she has some talent though.

Slowpoke - Saw it and I thought that the kitchen was bland as well. I was glad to see Tracee go - she bugged me & I think that the judges nailed her, she blames veryone else. She was team leader & had no concept. Her time line went out the window after she told Mikey V that he had to start the tile by 3:30 but didn't bring the tile back 'till 6:45.

I like the things that Mikey V has done but again I agree with the judges on his hosting.

We all know that 24 hrs is not enough time to do tile, so why not do a paint treatment on the backsplash to look like tile less time, cheaper & would have been a nice effect.

Lastly - I like all 3 of our options, I don't know who I will pull for now.

Team leader position sucks when your team wants to sabotage you. They were argumentative without constructive input. Sure...overall, Tracee was not impressive this challenge and deserved to go for lack of leadership and design...but the rest of them added zero to the kitchen design too...they were just a bunch of laborers.

Archived