The Next Food Network Star

laladoopiedu

With Top Chef winding down I was excited to see this one starting. I thought it was an interesting first show. Some likes and dislikes right at the start. The fashionista is dead last on my list. I think she may be low on the judges list too. I like Giada a lot but I think I may have seen a twinge of jealousy from her toward the perky blonde. The 19 y/o boy is a good story but I doubt he makes it far, I just don't think Food Network would draw much of an audience from him. The black guy who's the hospital catering cook had some good food but probably not much else to back him up.

It's open season for the rest of them. With only 10 finalists its going to be a quick season.

As far as this show goes, winning doesn't seem to be that big a deal. Guy Fieri has done really well but who was the winner of season one? Does anyone remember or have a clue what the resulting show was? As for last season, I think I saw the lady that won advertised with a show but I've yet to see it on the schedule. I don't think I would watch her anyway with that French cooking snob attitude she had. Her thing was "the chef next door" but that just didn't cut it for me. But then what do I know, I thought I'd never be able to watch Guy Fieri and I am totally hooked on Diner, Drive-Ins and Dives.

Wanted to see this so bad but only saw the opening (where they introduced each character and we saw them come into the room ...up to Bobby Flay). These shows come on past my bedtime. :whines:

I'll try to stay up next week.

juvi.........first season's winners were the two guys (hearty boys??) they used to have a show on sunday mornings......they'd show you how to cook for parties. i really like those two. don't know why they got rid of them.

as for amy (last years winner) i only caught one of her shows, and i did NOT like it. guy's a trip, and i love his diners, drive ins, and dives. but i don't watch his cooking show........

It seemed obvious Cory Kahaney was going to be eliminated....surprisingly she was nervous and showed no personality or confidence...and she's probably had the most experience speaking in front of a crowd. She should have been able to sell a pile of doodoo to the judges and win them over with her humor. That's why she was selected for the show in the first place...humor is what she'd bring to the table (pun intended ;) )...she failed miserably.

Lisa...the fashion chef...annoying and almost ridiculous imo. I'd rather have seen her get eliminated...but she wasn't the worst (yet). Cooking in high heels...dangerous on a slippery kitchen floor....and that scarf she was wearing (!)....I was waiting for it to get too close to a flame and... :furious: !

I really don't have too much of a feel for most of the others yet...don't have a favorite yet and am not overly impressed with any.

Shane and his tears already... :crybaby: ...every reality show needs a cryer...whoda thunk it'd be this kid!? :lol:

Nipa...the robot...the complete opposite of Shane and Cory. She lacks any and all emotion...and overly exudes confidence...to a fault. Something about her I liked though...hmmm?

I like Top Chef more....but still looking forward to this show.

okay, watched the episode last nite..........some thoughts:

1) giada is a bit catty sometimes!

2) i love kelsey........hope she goes far

3) like the young kid, but i think that his "wide-eyed innocence" will wear thin quickly

4) nipa.......i'd like to bust you in your teeth. wish she would have gone home 'cause her confidence is unfounded!

5) victoria beckham.......nice haircut...blech! i don't care for her, or her attitude. and i think its hilarious that NOT ONE food network star understood her culinary point of view. ('cause i didn't either!)

should be an interesting season.........i'll know better after a few episodes!

Yeah, I liked the show, but don't remember many of the contestants.

I don't really catch Guy's cooking show, but like watching Diners!

I didn't think Amy should have won last year. I know one person who saw her one show and said they did NOT like it. The other girl she was against seemed to have soo much more to bring to the table.

I didn't see season one. This season looks like it's going to be good!

some thoughts on last nite's epi:

1) i am PISSED that they kept nipa after she walked out on the selection committee! how rude of her after all of her attitude before that! if i were the guy who got booted, i'd protest! its not like she's gonna win anyway!

2) would someone PLEASE tell victoria beckham that she needs to fix her eyebrows?

3) the young kid is a cutie, but he needs to stop stuttering

4) didn't robert irvine get booted from food network?

5) LOVED that the dude who soooooo wanted to make the runny eggs got busted for serving them raw!

6) i love kelsey and i hope she wins.

that's all for now!

1) i am PISSED that they kept nipa after she walked out on the selection committee! how rude of her after all of her attitude before that! if i were the guy who got booted, i'd protest! its not like she's gonna win anyway!

I don't mind that Kevin left...I didn't see anything special about him that would make me want to watch his cooking show. He lacks personality...and def did not bring romance to his dishes. His pov was weak and really didn't suit him. And, he skrewed up by not bringing the olive oil and also skrewed up on not counting enough plates which caused his 2 teamamtes to not have portioned out their dishes correctly....scrambling at the end to redistribute.

Nipa...her demeanor was totally different from week 1. She showed that she is a person with feelings afterall...and I was glad to see that. I was also glad though that they made her sweat at the elimination...kind of a slap on the hand for being difficult. In the long run...I think she has more to offer personalitywise and foodwise than Kevin did...and that's probably why she is still there.

2) would someone PLEASE tell victoria beckham that she needs to fix her eyebrows?

:lol2:

she really bugged me week 1....but this week not so much and I've got to give her credit when it's due. Her french toast crostini with honey creme fraiche on top does sound really good...and she presented well too.

5) LOVED that the dude who soooooo wanted to make the runny eggs got busted for serving them raw!

I didn't. I'm starting to like Adam...and think has ok ideas and good personality for a show. Sure, runny whites are gross and unacceptable...but I can understand why Adam wanted runny yokes his dish...maybe because I love a runny yoke! I'm not sure why he switched from poached to fried though. Doing so many in 1 frying pan and then cutting them out was stupid...not sure whose idea that was but it wasn't very appealing looking and obviously not a good result. The poached would have been much nicer presentation and all would have at least been cooked. Perhaps it would be difficult to do for 30 plates under those conditions. It seemed like Adam caved to Aaron yelling at him...and then Aaron was also yelling at Jenn about the shape of her french toast too! He doesn't seem to be much of a team player and it seems like he is naturally domineering...difficult and bossy. I got a bit irked that he came out smelling like a rose and shared the win. Not really liking Aaron right now...but at least he gave Adam credit for the presentation idea...after fighting that one too!

I still don't have a favorite yet...

Robert did get the boot.

Susie kind of addressed it in her video log - No holds barred - http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/show_nf/te...6_68702,00.html

I guess the episode was filmed before it was discovered he lied about his experience and was terminated...and his role in the episode was integral so they didn't want to delete him from it. Then she goes on to talk about him being a good guy and all....blah blah blah....

i like jenny.........but i'm not sure she's ready for all of this. she's way to underconfident (for lack of a better word this morning)

nipa has an attitude that i just don't find appealing. there's confidence, then there's what nipa has, which to me is a huge turnoff.

my husband and i were talking last nite, and i don't think i could watch any of these contestants on a cooking show. not even my favorite kelsey. none of them are doing much for me. each week, i really don't care who goes home, 'cause i don't care who wins. i think the selection committee picked a bum buncha finalists

I agree with you scuba...none really WOW me...and I can't say I would really want to watch any of their shows. They don't even really seem to be chefs...more like personalities (term used lightly) that like to cook...i dunno.

Kelsey is way too perky for me ...and Lisa with those scarey eyebrows...ugh...I can't take much more of either of them. I'd rather have dull Jennifer and the robot Nipa there than those two. At this time...Adam is my favorite...but that's not saying much for him either. ;)

I've generally liked Martha Stewert...but what was up with her snobby attitude regarding Kelsey's sloppy joes..."I don't eat THAT kind of food!" What!? Who doesn't like a good sloppy joe every once in a while? pish...get real Martha! :lol:

I guess its time to weigh in again.

My opinions haven't changed much in 2 weeks. I had the same thought last night about who I would like to watch if they had their own show..........at this point none of them. The closest would be Aaron, the hospital cook.....he does some ok things, he just needs to get comfy with the camera. I think all the judges are being a little to hard on the little blonde chick, they want perky and fun, what's their problem with her?

The gushing over Martha Stewart made me want to barf. She gives the cute girls something to aspire to I guess. They would both do well in a women's prison.

The fashionista is growing on me a little bit, a very little bit. Its not just her eyebrows that need some work though, she needs a few lessons on how to apply makeup. That shiney light colored eye shadow makes her brows look even higher. It looks like the next show might prove us right about high heels and slippery floors.

Robert Irvine kicked off the Food Network? Huh? What? When? Dinner Impossible isn't on Food Network ? Am I watching it somewhere else or has it really been a while since I watched it?

The little momma who cooks for her kid....hmmmm, she isn't long for this show. Her Heidi hairdo and her lack of confidence are going to do her in.

The "funny guy" is grating on my nerves too. Did Martha really like his song? Ugh.

Nipa............honey we can only take so many curried potato recipes.

Teenaged boy.......wasn't last season's winner also a let's make French food friendly chef too?

Guy's Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives! Love it. My daughter wants to take a road trip this summer so I suggested we do a D, D & D tour. I tried to watch his cooking show but just can't get into it.

Bobby Flay.........I love him! I want to enter the Kohl's sweepstakes a dozen times to up my chances of meeting him!

ding dong nipa's gone!! whoo hoo!

she was sooooooooo disrespectful on last nite's episode! the pursed lips and the look of disdain! ugh! i'm so glad they booted her. she could have had a decent show, but that attitude was such a putoff!

i'm glad kelsey won last nite. she was so crushed after last week.......she really stepped it up!

as for adam.......wtf is that boy thinking? he IS annoying, and i don't know if he can repair his reputation.

oh, and lisa falling..............priceless!

i don't think she's ever going to change. try as she might, she's stuck in a rut of apologizing. i like her too, and i love her cooking POV, but i just don't think she's ready to be on tv yet

I really don't like the remaining contestants at all...except for maybe Adam...he seems fun but seriously lacks in chef skills. Kelsey is still too perky...and too much like Rachael Ray...and we surely don't need another RR! I wouldn't watch her on a show. I just don't see any of them being different, knowledgeable or more entertaining than the current food network shows...well...except for maybe Lisa....but she's not different in a good way. ;)

I wouldn't have minded if Nipa had stayed and won....I've no experience cooking Indian cuisine and that may have been interesting to learn. She really didn't have the personality or demeanor for this type of contest/show though. Too bad...

I liked seeing Iron Chef Michael Simon on the episode...he always has a smile on face and seems really cool.

I never thought I'd say it but Lisa is growing on me....not necessarily her cooking POV but her as a person. I just think she's trying too hard to be something she isn't in her $300 blouses and such. I have to say she handled the fall a lot better than I would.

I wish the guy had gone instead of Nipa. His humor is beyond annoying. He isn't there to cook. Nipa could have gone this week.

As much as I liked the hospital cook, I think he took the whole "I'm doing this for my family, my kid, etc etc" to new extremes by dropping the "just before I came to the show my son ran away" bomb. Yeah, I bet the kid was sitting in some hovel somewhere watching dad on FoodNetwork and saw his plea for sonny to come home.

This one is anybody's at this point. As other's have said, I don't think I would watch any of them.

Unless something tragic happens next week it looks like this will be a three hrose race between Lisa, Shane and the little blonde girl. Maybe I'm getting this show mixed up with Top Chef but it seems to me they are doing less real cooking this season and more emphasis on "on camera".

Of the remaining chef's, I'm starting to think Lisa is the only one I would watch, at least she knows her food.

i don't think i could watch any.......especially her. she's soooooo uppity (for lack of a better word)

i don't think she's "approachable" at all. she may know her food, but imo, she makes things that i'd never try at home.

as for adam.......he's going next week for sure. there's no way that after this many weeks he's survived on one good dish. he's right about the reason he's still there......its not 'cause he's doing anything right, its just that he's doing it "less wrong!"

Archived