Harry Potter Teen Actor Rob Knox

TV_Paige

ap_100BW.jpg

'Harry Potter' Teen Actor Rob Knox

potter240BW.jpg

Rob Knox, 18, (far right), with his brother, Jamie and

mother, Sally, was stabbed to death outside a local

pub in Sidcup, England.

LONDON, England -- Rob Knox, a British teenage actor playing a minor role in the upcoming film, "Harry Potter And The Half-Blood Prince," was stabbed to death after he got caught up in a fight outside a bar in southwest London early Saturday, May 24, London's Metropolitan Police said in a statement. He was 18.

Knox plays Ravenclaw student Marcus Belby in the upcoming film, "Harry Potter And The Half-Blood Prince," the sixth installment of the popular series set for release in November. Warner Bros., the studio that is producing the film, said it was shocked by the news.

Knox had every reason to look forward to life. Only a few days earlier he had finished filming his part in the latest "Harry Potter" film. Playing the role of Belby, a student at Hogwarts School, alongside Hollywood star Daniel Radcliffe was surely going to be the start of a promising career.

metroBW.jpg

Knox was killed outside a suburban pub, Metro Bar

Knox joined friends for a drink at the Metro Bar, close to the home he shared with his family in Sidcup, a middle-class suburb of south-east London. But within a few hours of waving goodbye to his mother, he was lying bleeding to death on the pavement.

His death robbed his friends and family of a "fun, funny and loving" young man who, in the words of his cousin, Vicky May, 16, "had so much potential." In a statement, his parents, Sally and Colin Knox, said, "Rob was kind and thoughtful and would always help out others."

"He would always spend his last penny on other people instead of himself," his parents added. "The life and soul of the party, he was very outgoing, loved sports, and would always strike up a conversation with people. He was respectful to others and adored by all his family and friends. He was an asset to the family."

robknoxBW.jpg

Actor Rob Knox was teased and bullied for

being chubby during his younger years

Knox had overcome adversity to pursue his future dream of a career on stage and screen. At the age of 12, Knox was subjected to a three-year campaign of bullying over his weight, finally forcing his parents to move him to a new school.

In a newspaper interview, he said, "I have always been quite a chubby child. But it wasn't until I went to secondary school that I got bullied for it. The bullying got so bad I dreaded going into school. I am totally different now. I used to be so unconfident because of my weight and the bullying. But nothing gets to me now."

After a new school restored his confidence, he found work as an extra and then landed a small part in the ITV police drama, "The Bill." Hollywood beckoned when it was announced he had been chosen to play the part of Belby. Sadly, his career was cut short by street violence.

Knox was one of five young men taken to various hospitals after the brawl, police said. Among them was a 21-year-old who has since been arrested on suspicion of murder. The fight did not appear to be gang-related, police added, but it puts the number of violent teenage deaths in London at 14 so far this year.

Archived