song 2

best

worst

song 3

best

worst

syesha is leaving 100%

me too :animated_bouncy:

Last summer 3 people took a chance and auditioned, a high schooler, an actress and a bartender. All of them are on the brink of stardom. All of them are at your mercy. This is American Idol!

This is it. It is the pivotal moment in the lives of the three finalists. The way they perform and the way you respond will change their lives. Let's say hello to our judges, Randy Jackson, Paula Abdul and the man who hasn't aged a bit since we started, Simon Cowell.

The judges have each chosen a song for the contestants to sing tonight. The producers have chosen a song, and the contestants themselves have chosen a song. Ladies and gentlemen, your Top Three!

One of them is the next American Idol. Good luck to you guys and girl. They have just flown back from their hometown visit. We start with David Archuleta, for whom Paula Abdul chose the Billy Joel song, And So It Goes. Paula said it will showcase his vocals and has a high level of difficulty. David was excited, its a pretty song.

Starting off with no accompaniment, it was just David, his voice and the audience spellbound. This was a perfect song choice for his voice and while not fancy or heart-thumping, it was well performed, an emotional hook to reel in his fans. A great way to open the show. Randy said he is happy that Paula chose an adult song, he is in the zone, in it to win it, he can sing anything. Paula called it a pure and stunning performance, he was a story teller tonight. Simon said it was very good, no surprises, a bit predictable (not a criticism), but not outstanding.

Now we are heading to a limo in Tampa for breaking news with Syesha. Randy Jackson has chosen If I Ain't Got You by Alecia Keys. Randy thought it was the kind of song she would do well in.

Dressed in an elegant, the performance was nice but not very magical. Her voice was really not energized until midway through the song and her talent took hold with a crowd-pleasing finish. Randy said she did an amazing job, her heart was beaming and smiling, she is peaking at the right time. Paula was proud she is the last lady standing, applauds her for tackling a song the likes of Alicia. Simon said she did really well, and she looks gorgeous, but he wishes Randy had chosen a song where she didn't just sound like Alicia Keys.

Now we are headed to Kansas City where shocker, Cowell gets himself on the air as David Cook gets a text message that Simon has chosen The First Time I Saw Your Face by Roberta Flack. Simon wanted to make David do something different, show some originality. It is a very, very tough song.

This was a magical performance from the first note, a wonderfully upper octave melody, the slowly growing intensity, the audience was applauding half way through and never stopped. A fantastic first song. Randy said he can sing anything, the phone book too, loved the high note at the end, but wishes Simon had let him rock more. Paula said its about David and not Simon and Randy, one of her favorite songs and her second favorite person to sing it. Simon thought it was one of his best performances of the season, what makes him brilliant is that he takes risk, its original, round one goes to Cook.

I agree, round one goes to Cook, Archuleta and Mercado. Next up were the contestant choices.

David Archuleta is here friends, this song is your choice. What did you choose and why? With You by Chris Brown. it was something I hadn't done yet so I wanted to give it a shot, I've done so much older stuff, I wanted to do something, you know.

A little more upbeat, David had his groove on, but I do not think this was as good as his Billy Joel performance. There is something about his voice that wants to go slow and loses its quality when rushed too fast, although I think the performance got better in the second half. Randy said he applaud the fact he tried something new and young, but not sure it was the right song, singing My Boo. Paula said it was perfect for the tone of your voice, you are so used to singing ballads, but this is who you are, you should not extend the phrases and just shorten it up a bit. Simon applauds him for not doing a very treacly ballad, but it was like a chihuahua trying to be a tire, not really you, a bit awkward, the dancing.

Now we pick up with Syesha, who chose Fever by Peggy Lee. She likes the vibe of the song and wanted to use the chair, to work the chair a little bit. It's fun, fever fun, happy.

Sexy, sultry, using an old fashioned chair to accentuate her positives, this was a fun, although not very difficult song. I would have liked to have seen more movement in the vocals from soft to power to soft again but it was a decent performance, better than her judge-chosen song. Randy called it an interesting song choice, but what highlights it is that she sang it amazingly well. Paula was surprised she picked this song, but she was not sure it showed her who Syesha was as an audience. Simon said she will probably regret that decision tomorrow, she had a chance to do something contemporary but it was a quite a lame cabaret performance.

Next with his contestant choice is David Cook, singing Welcome To The Planet by Switchfoot. It seemed like an appropriate song for an appropriate moment.

Accompanying himself on the acoustic guitar, it wasn't working for me until he turned on the power and went into the meat of the performance, although I thought at points his voice seemed to wander. Randy said it was a great song choice, but performance wise it wasn't his best tonight, a bit pitchy, baby. Paula said it is hard to pack a song into 3 and a half minutes, and to give the audience a beginning middle end, but by the time he got to the end she was left wanting more. It was pretty much what he expected, not the most melodic song in the world, an OK middle round with one more round to go.

Now we move to songs chosen by the producers and for David Archuleta, that means Longer by Dan Fogelberg.

It took the producers to make me realize Archuleta's voice most reminds me of the late Dan Fogelberg. With a light vocal backup, this was an emotional song that just missed the easy, natural flow of an lazy, lyrical vocal, with a strange power spike in an otherwise sweet but not overpowering performance. Randy said he can sing the phone book, vocally another hot one. Paula said it was a lovely performance and she expected nothing more. Simon thought he sang the song well, but thought the song and lyrics was perfectly awful, gooey, something for a 70yr old not a 17 year old, but it was good enough tonight to make it into the finals.

Now it is the last chance for Syesha to make it to the finale and the producers chose something more up temp with Hit Me Up by Gia Ferrell.

Moving and grooving on the stage, the performance was not that attention-grabbing. The vocals popped but maybe it was the style of song that didn't work for me. Randy said he can see her doing that kind of song, but it was just OK for him. Paula said she did the song very well, but it is not the type of song that defines her as an artist and may not get her into the finals. Simon said it was better than the second song for sure, but her best moment came last week with the Sam Cook song and nothing tonight topped that, it was a good performance but did not give her a defining moment to end the show.

Now its David Cook, singing I Don't Want To Miss A Thing by Aerosmith.

With a backup of violinists, this was a soft vocal performance that I did not feel suited his style, kind of a Bryan Adams vibe that was boring until he turned on the electricity for a big finale. Randy loved the song, it was OK for him, but he doesn't know, it was very predictable. Paula said this had a beginning, middle and end and see ya in the finals. Simon said it was one of the great songs of all time, and David Cook wins the night.

Fuskie

Whose top performances were David Archuleta's and David Cook's first performances...

(1) David Cook - His first song was the best of the night. Simon knows what he's doing in picking the songs. His second song was dull. The last song was sung well. I know its a popular hit, but I personally hate that song.

(2) Syesha Mercado - The judges really are harsh on her. She's 10 times the performer than David A. I loved "Fever" and the other two songs were done well.

(3) David Archuletta - First song was good. Second song shows he's not "hip." Last song was dull. Why the producers chose it was beyond me.

I have a feeling Syesha will go home this week, but it should be David A.

lol i didnt watch

this week is so predictable

I loved all three first performances - they proved why they should be exactly where they are.

I absolutely loathed David A. and Syesha's 2nd performances- David C.'s was just ok.

David C.'s third performance was great, but not "Billy Jean" great. David A.'s and Syesha's were pretty bland.

Going home- Syesha (I'll be totally shocked if it's one of the Davids).

I'd be so happy if David A. was booted off tonight!

David C. definitely stole the show last night...and Syesha gave 3 good performances as well. I still don't think she is strong enough of a singer/contestant to be in top 2 or 3...but I prefer her way more than Archieboy...

David A. ... I'm hoping for an upset and he goes bye bye...please!

Erin . . . with your bad mojo and my bad ju ju, Archuletta is a shoe-in. Unless we can somehow combine our bad luck and reverse it's effects - - - - - like something out of a Superman comic book. You don't happen to know any Haitian voodoo spells, do you?

Three people on the verge of achieving a glittering dream, over 50m votes for two spots only in the finale. Live, this is American Idol!

Next week our job is done, we will have crowned your American Idol. But there is still one elimination before we reach the finale and at this stage to be sent home is devastating. But first we have our judges Randy Jackson, Paula Abdul and Simon Cowell.

We have some great music on the show tonight. Fantasia is singing live. But first, lets bring out the trio vying for the title. With Ain't No Stopping Us Now, its the Final Three!

After the break we have the Final 3 Ford Commercial Video, asking the question, How Far Is Heaven? The answer is seven days away.

I told you the race was close. You came in huge last, night, nearly 56m votes registered last night. Let's take a look at the video recap of last night's performances of the judges picks, the contestants picks, and the producers picks, and of course, the judges comments.

On a night all about choices, the ultimate choice was made by America. Your results are coming up. But first, singing Bore Me, it's Fantasia!

She's come a long way since Summertime, Fantasia, ladies and gentlemen. What shade of red is that? It's subtle just like you. Don't go anywhere, you results are coming up live!

Now on with tonight's competition. The math is very simple but the results hard to swallow. Three contestants, two spots. Backstage, three contestants. Two of them make it, one of them does not. Can we start the drama now?

David Archuleta, please come out. How are you doing? OK. Was it like this when you went back home, girls screaming and trying to touch you? Let's take a look at your trip back to Murry , Utah. 6:15am, David is going to Good Morning, Utah. He is greeted by his High School cheerleaders before being all humble on camera. He signs autographs and does a radio show with screaming preteens banging on the window. Then he goes to the mall, caught off guard by how many people are waiting for him. They are grabbing at his clothes as security pushes him forward. He tears up with emotion, its so worth it knowing how many are supporting him. Overwhelmed, he leaves to his school, imagining all the people. The Mayor declares May 9th as David Archuleta Day in Murry, Utah.

It must have been a boring day the next day. They loved you, but did the judges? Are you all right? It's a little embarrassing seeing them crying out like that. Ryan walks through the judges comments on his performances of And So It Goes, Its All You, and Longer. David's biggest obstacle was learning three songs while going through all that. It's a very close race, and there is a very real possibility that this could be David's last time on this stage. So we are going to celebrate David's American Idol journey as we watch a video recap.

David Archuleta is on our sofa waiting to hear if he has made it to the finale. Syesha Mercado, come on out, darling. What was it like to get the star treatment back home? Amazing, I did not know there were so many people in Sarasota.

Syesha lies home to Good Day Tampa Bay, and she is so excited to be there. She heads to Bradenton where she went to grade school and is handed a baby before the cops and security intervene. The country Commission declares it Syesha Mercado day and then it is time to go home, with a smaller crowd on her front lawn. Mom gives her a big hug, and her father says that after struggling with drugs and alcohol, this is a natural high seeing her success. And then it is back to High School where she tells the students dreams really can come true. Then it is a helicopter ride off the football field over the pay to the Ringing Museum where she is greeted by the mayor to the chants of Syesha, Syesha. She did not expect so much, she is so happy she is crying. She leaves with a snow globe. This is her dream. She is living it.

Syesha, Randy chose If I Ain't Got You. You chose Fever. Finally, the producers chose Hit Me Up. Do you think Paula was too hard on you? I don't know, everyone has their opinion. Simon thought she was over the top. Whatever happens tonight, Syesha has achieved something extraordinary so lets watch a video recap of her journey here on American Idol.

Take a look over there, David Archuleta and Syesha Mercado. They still don't know their fate. What news awaits our final contestant of the night? Can we have Mr. Cook? What is interesting about David, there is a lot of love in the audience, it wasn't originally your idea to audition. No, he was going to be his little brother's moral support but one of the producers put the camera on him. Ryan calls Andrew up to the stage. David answered the producer's question and the next thing he knew, he had a golden ticket. Ryan says that its on the record, if David wins, Andrew gets half.

And then its time to watch David return home to Kansas City, MO. The helicopter follows the limo from the airport and David gives a green screen weather forecast before granting a radio interview. he can not believe how crazy it is. He heads downtown for a concert and is blown away by the reception. This is the coolest day, he says. Andrew is in the audience singing along with his big brother before it is time for David to return to his middle school to surprise his music teacher with flowers. The crowd goes crazy and the poor old lady clutches her heart before heaping on the praise for the camera's benefit. And then its time for a parade to his High School with Andrew and David can not process all the people. The state of Missouri recognizes David with a proclamation, and then he threw out the first pitch at a Royals game. This is amazing, he exclaims.

Simon chose was First Time I Ever Saw Your Face. You chose Welcome To The Planet. Finally, the producers chose I Don't Want To Miss A Thing. Randy, you said early you wanted him to rock out but then when he did, you said it was predictable. Randy said he expected more from the Switchfoot performance. And then it was time to watch David Cook's journey on American Idol.

So here they are, David Archuleta, Syesha Mercado and David Cook. There is no question of the support from their home towns, but what did the country do with their votes? The results, coming up.

At this point, my computer chose to lock up so I missed Ryan's comments and the judge's last words. I think Randy said something about they should be proud to have made it this far. Paula probably said something like they are already stars. Simon may have said something along the lines of any way it turns out, its going to be a fantastic finale.

Dim the lights, here we go, good lock to all three. After 56 million votes, America decided the two going head to head in the final are...

David Archuleta (he is stunned as he is gets hugs from Cook and Mercado)!

And going up against him is David Cook!

The Davids give Syesha a hug before Ryan sends them over to the couch. Syesha, would would you like to say to your fans? All she can say is thank you before she reprises her final performance of If I Ain't Got You.

Next week, its David vs. David in the finale. See ya there!

Fuskie

Who doesn't think anyone, with maybe the exception of a still breathless Archuleta, was not surprised by the results...

why did we need 1 hour for that show everyone in american knew syesha was leaving

including her

i miss 30 minutes elimination show

Hey Fuskie,

I'm out of town and knew I'd miss AI tonight, but I never worried knowing you'd do a recap. Just letting you know its appreciated.

Nooooo! Syesha gone? Archuletta still there? That sucks.

David A.- "Gosh, this is so amazing. I mean, you like me, you really, really like me... gosh, gosh, GOSH!!"

Now excuse me while I go throw up...

lol he does that act each week

Baron, you are very welcome. I'll see you in Morty's Chat next week for the AI Finale!

Fuskie

Who directs everyone's attention to the the Morty's Chat Show Your AI Colors game next Tuesday and Wednesdays at 8pm EDT...

Archived