song #1

best

worst

song #2

best

worst

bottom two:

yep so predictable this week

OK I thought Syesha was brilliant! Hers was my favorite performance in weeks! The theme was finally good too! I think Castro might end up leaving. Syesha is the one who deserves to stay. she's a great performer and looks beautiful every week.

1. Syesha Mercado

2. Archeletta

3. Cook

4. Castro

1. Cook

2. Archuletta

3. Syesha

4. Castro

Jason needs to go. Simon was right on. Although his second song was so much better and more in keeping with his style, forgetting the words at this level is just not okay. Archuletta's first song (Stand By Me) was the best he's ever done, in my opinion. His vocals are always good, but I find most of his songs boring. This one at least was upbeat and fun. Second song, not so much. Syesha sounds great, but I don't know that either song will appeal to people enough to vote for her. Cook rocked as always. First song, not my favorite, but I didn't like it when Duran Duran recorded it either. Second song by the Who was fandamntastic! By the way, Friday is David Cook day in the KC/Blue Springs area.

One of these people is your next American Idol. Three of them already been Number One in the votes. The competition is closer than ever before. Tonight, you must vote. This is American Idol!

Just four people left, just two weeks to go. No matter how you slice it up, this is a crucial week for American Idol. Anything can happen, nobody is safe, and nothing is guaranteed. So please vote at the end of the show tonight. Your guiding stars are here to help you. Say hi to Randy Jackson, Paula Abdul and Simon Cowell. Now let's open up the doors for these folks, your Top 4, America!

They've learned the hard way that song selection is everything, and they had a lot to choose from this time. The Rock'n'Roll Hall of Fame has opened its doors to us. Roll the tape, as we get introduced to the Rock'n'Roll Hall of Fame.

So lets get started. The contestants have two phone numbers and two songs. The judges will critique them after each performance. Everybody clear?

First up was David Cook singing Hungry Like The Wolf by Duran Duran, which came out in 1982, the year he was born. The performance started out standard enough, Cook with his trademark gruff vocals, but he was kind of stale on the stage, not moving with the energy of the song as I might have expected. I was expecting thing to pop but it was just average. Randy said it was an OK choice and a solid performance, but just OK for him, not amazing. Paula said it was a perfect song for a guy with a big appetite, and watching him grow and flourish over the past several months has been remarkable, and makes her realize why she tolerates being the only girl in the boys club. Simon said it was good, a little bit copycat, he didn't do what he has done in the past in choosing a song and making it his own, but should be good enough to get through to next week.

Syesha Mercado let it all hang out next, singing Proud Mary by Tina Turner, a song covered over 100 times. The rhythm was moving from the first note, the choreography was turning and the vocals were burning. This was the kind explosive performance I was expecting from David Cook and Syesha delivered, the only negative was that the energy was so high the song was too short. Randy laughed at the difference a couple weeks make, the third week in a row she has shown up and was in the zone, nice going, pretty good timing to show the heat late in the competition when she needs it. Paula said she looks like a star, going from a pretty girl with a big voice to a beautiful woman with magnetic voice and presence, magic happens when you look your fear in the mirror and do it anyway. Simon said it was just a bad, shrieky version, a bad impersonation of Tina Turner, and he didn't have fun.

Next up was Jason Castro, singing I Shot The Sherrrif by Bob Marley. Holding an acoustic guitar and bouncing to the reggae beat, it was an unusual arrangement with half the lyrics going to the backup singers. This performance had more expression and stage presence than past weeks, an original vocal arrangement but it was not on par with the first two contestants. Randy said it was really karaoke, nothing special about it, he really needed to show he deserved to be in the top 3, just not good enough. Paula said he has never performed more to the audience, but she was not crazy about the performance or song even though he is so real and his artistry shows through. Simon said it was utterly atrocious, a song he does not touch, the arrangement was atrocious, the performing and singing was as bad as he's ever heard, like a first round audition massacred, he doesn't know what he was thinking.

David Archuleta completed the first set of performances, singing Stand By Me by Benny King, a song he always enjoyed singing to his dog. This was a perfect vehicle for his performance style, with white doves flying off a cool black t-shirt, it was an understated but perfect vocal, with just enough originality and expressive finish and audience connection to make his fan base go wild. Randy said he was happy that at least one guy, every time he hits the stage he is trying to win the whole thing, he brought the hot vocals, it was hot. Paula said we forget he is way beyond his years and she really admires how he has delivered using his eyes to communicate with the audience, listening to the advice and becoming a seasoned performer. Simon said he could have whistled and it would have been better than the last song, it was a very good choice of song, he struggled a little at the end, a little bit, but in the grand scheme of things he called it the best performance so far.

David Cook takes the stage for his second performance, singing Baba O'Riley by The Who, an iconic rock song never performed on Idol before. Hooked the audience after the first line, a slow and soulful rendition of the song's preface that led into a falsetto and his electric guitar chorus that didn't live up to the song's start. And then just when I thought he was going to kick it into overdrive, with the chorus, he shuts it down. Strange. Randy said there was something different going on with him tonight, but that was the David Cook he loves, he got his trusty Lez Paul with him tonight, he's the resident rocker dude, just go and live that out and and have fun with it, shake whatever off and just be him, because he was great. Paula said she wants more, she was humbled to watch his soul, thanks for sharing it with them. Simon said welcome back David Cook.

Syesha was next for her second performance, singing A Change Is Gonna Come by Sam Cook, a song from a pivitol era. Draped in an elegant gown, she made a statement with the first lyric, then launched into a sedate and unenergetic performance that that showed signs of life in the middle but unfortunately ended forgettably despite the power vocal climax. Randy said the first song he loved, this one not as much, the arrangement tried for things that weren't there, she didn't need to try to make it something it wasn't, it was disconnected and fell flat. Paula said she orchestrated her vocals beautifully, a superstar performance, she has changed, she is magnificent, change has come, welcome to her dream, this is it for her. Simon said he has to be fair and agree with Paula, she sang that really really well.

For Jason's second performance, he sang Mr. Tambourine Man by Bob Dylan, a cool song to which he relates. Accompanying himself on the acoustic guitar, he forgot the lyrics at the end of the first verse, so the quality of his vocal and his stage presence as a folk artist, such as it was, will count for nothing. Randy said he was not in the zone tonight. Paula said it is what it is, he has solidified his niche although it did not blow her away. Simon said he should back his suitcase.

David Archuleta closes the show, picking Love Me Tender by Elvis Presley, a song he did not know too well but thought would be a fun, cool romantic love song. Sitting front and center stage, he changed shirts to a black button down, singing a tender ballad, slow and soulful, a non-traditional vocal arrangement with a piano accompaniment. This was an emotional and expressive performance that held the audience spellbound. Randy said it was another great performance, so tender, he caressed each word, he has it going on, the hot vocals of the night right there. Paula said it was one of her favorite performance of his, she felt his heart, it was fantastic and very beautiful. Simon said he didn't beat the competition tonight, he crushed it.

Fuskie

Who had high expectations for David Cook, but thinks that David Archuleta (both) and Syesha (first) held the top three performances of the night...

Wow. After Jason's performances, all I can say is, if he doesn't go home then it IS a popularity contest more than a singing contest-and I never thought I'd say that. That is just how bad he flubbed up tonight. I mean, I SHOT THE SHERIFF??? That had to have been theworst performance this season by any of the contestants, hands down. Then when he forgot his lines on the second song, well, let's just say he is toast. Burnt toast. The only thing that could save him is a boatload-no, make that a cruiseship load-of teenage girls and votefortheworst fans voting in record numbers. So I guess it is possible, but I hope not because both Davids and Syesha deserve to be in the final 3 way more than Jason...and I actually think he'd agree. He's that likeable a guy.

1. David Cook and Syesha Mercado (tie because I didn't like either of their first performances but loved both of their 2nd songs.)

2. David Archuleta

3. Jason Castro

Bottom 2: Jason and Syesha

Going home: Jason

song #1

1. David Archuletta

2. Jason Castro

3. Syesha Mercado

4. David Cook

song #2

1. David Cook

2. David Archuletta

3. Syesha Mercado

4. Jason Castro

bottom two: Jason Castro & David Cook

leaving: Jason Castro

truth is i didnt watch much of the performances

i got distracted by gta

but i did catch jason and must say what was he thinking doing bob marley

GTA rocks!

Something was wrong witht he audio on my Direct TV till about halfway through the second song, so I really can't say how the performances were. Tehy all sounded bad! Based on the performance and the review clips...

1st Song

1. Syesha (Very sexy performance. I completely disagree with Simon. She was hot tonight.)

2. Cook (It wasn't as good as his other stuff, but better than the the other David and Jason)

3. Archuletta (I hated him at first, somewhere in the middle, I liked him, now I hate him again. Too many runs, oversings, the melody gets butchered)

4. Castro (Worst performance I've seen by him. What was that? Third rate Karaoke? Horrible)

2nd Song

1. Cook (Better. The David we know)

2. Syesha (Good singing, but forgettable. The Syesha of old.)

3. Archuletta (Completely BUTCHERED one of my favorite songs! I have him on the bottom if Jason hadn't forgotten his words.)

4. Castro (Forgetting the words at this point is just unforgivable. He shows he just doesn't care)

Bottom 2 Syesha and Jason. Its a tough call Jason should go, but Syesha doesn't have the fans. I will go with mty heart and say Jason goes this week and 20 million teenage girls will all cry out at once causing a disturbance in the force.

Last night was one of the most dramatic shows yet. They sang from their hearts, the results are in your hands. This is American Idol!

We have to start with a huge thank you. last night we asked you to vote like never before and that is what you did, our highest vote total this season, nearly 51m vote. The top three were all within 1 million votes of each other. We got drama tonight, Maroon 5, Bo Bice, the wisdom of Randy Jackson, the beauty and then some of Paula Abdul and then there's Simon Cowell.

Randy, you were kind of hard on Syesha. After watching it back and thinking about it do you stand by what you said? Randy said a bunch of stuff. Paula said she gave Syesha her moment of recognition for doing an amazing job last night. Ryan asked Simon if he was angry and Simon said he was just surprised at some of the disastrous song choices.

Within the hour, the Top Four will become the Top Three. But first, here they are, the Top Four singing Reeling In The Years by Steely Dan. The group song gets smaller but I don't like it any better. On the other hand, the guitar solo was great: no Idols were involved.

Now here's a taste of last night's show as we turn to the video recap of last night's eight performances and the judges' comments. Someone's dream will be crushed. The results are in and its time for the results. Last night we had floods of tears and now the results. We're going to flood the sofa with three. Let's start with one of the Davids.

David Archuleta, come on out here. He is feeling nervous, just because, you know, no matter how well you do, there's always a chance. So you want to be the next American Idol? I'd love to. You sang Stand By Me and Love Me Tender. Those are two big hits, what was your game plan? To have fun with Stand By Me and really connect with Love Me tender.

After the nationwide vote, there's a nice comfortable couch you should go sit on. Take a seat, you are safe. David is going to his home town for next week's show.

Take a look at the three still back stage. Two more people heading home to a hero's welcome. But one will be just heading home, to stay. Find out after the break.

David Archuleta is through to the top three and will be going home, but everyone got a chance to experience being a pop star when they were flown to Las Vegas and given a taste of the high life, being flown on a private 737 for the chance to see Cirque du Soleil's Beatles tribute, Love. When they arrived at the Mirage, it was Idol Mania. Outside the Dolphin habitat, everyone was flipping to see the Idols. And they received a red carpet makeover for the show. Then they received a round of applause from the cast of Love and signed autographs. All they need is love.

All they really need to know is whether they made it to the next round or not.

David Cook to the stage please. It's a long journey to the center of the stage. Your first song was Hungry Like The Wolf. Your second song was Baba O'Riley. Randy said that David really needs to keep being himself, be original and rock it out, baby. He admits he felt a little off last night. Is it back now? We'll see. It is, you've made it to the top three, take a seat.

The two Davids, feeling good tonight. Which leaves us with Syesha and Jason. Please welcome Syesha Mercado and Jason Castro to the stage. One of them is leaving us tonight, the other stays in the competition. And after that vote, the one who is leaving us right now...

Are you going to tell us right now, asks Jason.

No, replies Ryan, I'm going to take a break.

We go to o'l Mexico and Johnny Cash for the weekly Ford Commercial Music Video. I bet that was the first time any of the boys wore tights.

This is the portion where we take your phone calls. We start with Emily, age 24 from PA for David Cook. July 29th will be my birthday, you will be in Pittsburgh on tour, and will you go on a date with me? Ryan promises to get her number for David.

Sarah is 14 from Bloomington, IN. What has been the biggest challenge you have had to overcome in the competition. All the Idols tap dance around the question.

Allison, age 25, from Columbia, SC asks Simon why he has not been knighted by the Queen. Simon says he asks himself that on a daily basis and tells Her Majesty he's available. Ryan says Simon addresses himself as his majesty.

Mara, age 13, from Nazareth, PA asks Syesha how she feels being the only girl in the final 4. Syesha says she is really proud but sometimes it is a bit uncomfortable. She can't go into it, but the boys are really funny. Paula says she feels fantastic being the only girl on the panel.

Teresa, age 42 from Detroit, Michigan asks the Idols if they have ever received feedback from the original artists? David Cook said he did on Innocent, but none of the others.

Marla, age 45, from Cleveland, OH asks Simon if he has ever acted and suggests he could be the next James Bond. Simon said, once again, he's available. Marla says he is sexy, Cowell, Simon Cowell.

Right now, it is Ryan's great pleasure to welcome back some Idol friends, Maroon 5!

We chat a little about their new album, and new tour, and advice for the next American Idol. Get ready to work, its going to be really tough, and then you'll get jaded and really hate it but just remember you really love it.

Coming up, our very own Bo Bice is here. Stay with us.

Four contestants on the sofa. Two are safe, two are still unaccounted for. But first we bring out the southern rocker who came so close to winning the title in Season 4. Singing Witness, Bo Bice!

So Bo Bice, what do you think about letting the Idols start out with instruments? Great that they had the opportunity to take risks, but some made wrong choices. Bo advices the Idols to practice, practice, practice. Cook takes some risk which is cool. He and Archuleta are like twins. The new album is a blessing, and it was really great to be back home. And his wife Caroline is expecting a baby Bo to go along with his daughter.

Your results are next, right here after the break.

Syesha Mercado and Jason Castro are waiting for the news, who is staying and who is gone.

Jason, you sang I Shot The sheriff and (most of) Tambourine Man. Someone told Jason he shot the Tambourine Man and he thought that was pretty funny.

Syesha sang Bloody Mary and A Change Is Going To Come.

Jason thinks his inexperience is coming in, he tried to pick 2 songs he knew and still screwed up.

Syesha said she was so emotional because Paula was right, she was living her dream, and the song meant so much to her.

After all of that, America has voted and decided that Syesha, you are in the Top Three. You are safe.

That means Jason Castro leaves us tonight on American Idol. After a video tribute to his journey on American Idol, Jason reprises his final performance of I Shot The Sheriff.

Fuskie

Who thinks Jason took his exit with the same grace, comfort and self-dignity with which he took all his criticism this season...

Archived