Can We Stop Having Dancers With A Dancing Backgrounds?

uvp

its totally unfair

that other contestants are at such a disadvantage

I do have to agree. I know they say that ballroom dancing is completely different, but there has to be an advantage to people who are used to any kind of dancing and performing, such as Kristi and her skating.

I would like to see a woman win, because I think it's tougher for them. For me anyway, my eyes are usually on the women-- they seem to have the more interesting moves and costumes.

But I don't want a 'ringer' to win either!

Tell me HOW having a skating background equates to having a DANCING background? Kristi is good because she is an athelete (for one), has a great work ethic (for two) and finally, she is competitive to the max, much like some of the past athletes - Apollo Anton Ono, Emmitt Smith, Helio, etc.

you cant be seriously debating whether a skater has a dancing background or not

lmao

Tell me HOW having a skating background equates to having a DANCING background? Kristi is good because she is an athelete (for one), has a great work ethic (for two) and finally, she is competitive to the max, much like some of the past athletes - Apollo Anton Ono, Emmitt Smith, Helio, etc.

I had this debate with SugarB in the General Discussion thread. I'll just reiterate the main point. . . half of a skaters score is based on their artistic interpretation of their skating program. This means they have almost as much dance training as skating training. Kristi began with a huge advantage in posture, movement and interpretation.

I am so glad that someone put this thread up, I have been so frustaded with DWSTS this year. I find it totally unfair with the stars that have had any kind of classes in dance. Kristi of course has had to work with a chorographer in the past to be able to perform at the level she did with Ice Skating. So I hope the public will vote her out and not let her win this competition, and I hae fouond myself disgusted and have stopped watching

what about all the boy banders though? They all worked with choreographers in their jobs and had to learn FAST. Or the people who have done Broadway and work with choreographers? Shannon Elizabeth said she had taken dance lessons growing up as did many of the previous contestants. I do think Kristi is better than most but I honestly think it is because she is a perfectionist with everything in her life.

I agree with Snancy and SugarB. I used to lean a little toward that some might have an unfair advantage but now think it is all about being competitive and hard work. No matter what profession people have had there are going to be some born with more natural talent then others. I would not want to see a group of Master P dancers or whatever his name was.

Don't most skaters take ballet for the grace of form? I don't think anyone with any professional dance should be in, but hey...what do I know.

I guess the bottom line though, it is up to us. Sometimes I think the judges do a pretty good job scoring them, based on their abilities. I do think they expect more from some of the dancers, and are a little bit tougher. Not always -- but sometimes they do give those less talented dancers credit for their showmanship, or personality, or whatever.....

I never call in, because I don't really care. I agree about Master P though -- he brought nothing to the show, and clearly didn't want to be there. But I'm not a professional dancer-- if I did vote, I might vote for who I enjoyed the most, even when they're not dancing, rather than who I thought was the best dancer.

I would never vote for Mario -- because I don't like Karina. I probably would have voted for Adam because I really like Julianne, and would want to see what she could come up with for him. Fair? Probably not, but for goodness sakes, what is really at stake here?

• 4 weeks later...

Kristi was the best dancer and deserved to win. At the same time, I find it a bit uncomfortable at the end when a football player has to compete against a woman who was judged by dancing on ice for half her score in the Olympics. Yes, it's true it's not EXACTLY the same. Neither is being a singer/dancer like Mario or Sabina or any of the other guys from the boy bands. Practically all of them make it to the end. This is not surprising because all of them have some professional training. Is it fair to have a football player compete with someone trained in dance for years?

Well look at this way. They don't win any money they just get an ugly silver ball for a prize.

I have found every season very entertaining.

if skating is enough to disqualify you then they'd have to go back into everyone's past to see who got actual dance instruction - it would eliminate many potential contestants, particularly amongst the ladies. I understand people's concern about the uneven playing field, but the show is more entertaining for me when they have strong contestants.

Archived