3. Jason Castro

4. Michael Johns

5. David Archuleta

6. Brooke White

7. Carly Smithson

8. David Cook

Bottom 3: Michael Johns, Brooke White, Syesha Mercado

Eliminated: Michael Johns

bold pick i wouldnt be surprise idol likes to have one surprise vote off a season

1. Carly Smithson

2. Kristy Lee Cook

3. Syesha Mercado

4. Michael Johns

5. Jason Castro

6. Brooke White

7. David Archuleta

8. David Cook

What yall talking about? Carly sounded Fabulous!!

Bottom 3 Syesha, Jason, Johns.. Jason leaves.

(I voted for Carly Like a bagillion times.. I will be the reason she stays, lol)

You make the calls. You call the shots. Who will win your vote? Live from Hollywood, this is American Idol!

Its a very big week for American Idol as we bring back Idol Gives Back on Wednesday. The results show will be on Thursday. A quick introduction of the judges, Randy Jackson, Paula Abdul, and Simon Cowell. Plus, let's hear it for your American Idols!

Tomorrow night they will be manning the phones to take your donations but tonight they are singing for their lives and the theme is Inspirational Songs.

Up first was Michael Johns, singing Dream On by Arrowsmith. This was a performance that sought to match the original and for the most part was a rocked out well performed imitation all they way to the falsetto. But what it had in energy it lacked in originality. Randy said it was a pretty good song choice, had some pitch problems and that really wasn't your style of performance. Paula disagreed, saying that it was a perfect song to pick, he sounded as good as he looked and the high notes, he was unbelievable. Simon said it was a good performance, but he didn't like the impersonation of a rock star and should have stuck with the R&B vibe.

Performing next was Syesha Mercado, singing I Believe by Fantasia. Packed with some melodic nuance, the performance started soft and then took off, closing with the power vocals that showcased her talent. Randy gave her credit for taking on the tiger for another week, but it was OK although the special connection Fantasia had wasn't there. Paula said not many people can take on songs like that and you flipped it and made it your own; this was hands down a shining night. Simon said of course there will be a comparison and technically she sang it very well but what it lacked was the big, big wave of emotion and he still wants to find out what she is all about.

Jason Castro was next, singing Somewhere Over The Rainbow, the Hawaiian ukulele version. Playing the ukulele, the song was a fast paced perfect imitation with no originality, no emotion, and while the vocals were spot on, it was nothing to make me remember the performance. Randy said he is back in the hunt, that was the hottest yet of the night, it was molten lava hot. Paula said he has a distinctive sound, it was the perfect sound and he did a great job. Simon said it was fantastic.

Closing out the first half of the show was Christy Lee Cook, singing Anyway by Martina McBride. The song started out uncertain but the chorus picked me up. Still, it seemed a bit uneven, slow during the versus and energetic during the choruses but lacking in emotion and story. Randy said there were a couple of pitch moments in the versus, but really good for her. Paula said she outdid herself, this was by far her best performance, excellent. Simon said she had the opportunity to show who she was with her song choice and she was very good, and tonight she looked like a star, appealing to her audience.

Leading off the second quartet of performances was David Cook, singing Innocent by Our Lady Peace. This was a strange one for me, more of a U2/Dave Matthews vibe. It may have been the blending with the background singers, but it seemed a little off pitch. It was a serious, heavy performance as he made his way into the audience flashing the palm of his hands, which said Give Back. Randy said he is a huge fan but this was not one of his strongest weeks, he didn't quite get it tonight. Paula said he is so well defined as being the full package, he is it. Simon didn't like the performance very much at all, a teensy weensy bit pompous with the white jacket, lack of originality, the weakest performance in the last 3 weeks.

Up next was Carly Smithson, singing The Show Must Go On by Queen. A straight forward performance, it was a strong vocal, a strong stage presence, maybe a little pitchy in places when she was crying out, but a captivating stage presence. Not quite sure how this was inspirational, though. Randy said it started out good but got pitchy when she hit the high notes, but ended up just OK. Paula said her voice was pretty perfect but she didn't feel engaged with her. Simon said she looked good, but it was an unusual song choice that was over sung and she lost control towards the end, coming over as an angry performance which was out of kilter with the evening and she may be in trouble.

After the break it was David Archuleta, singing Angels by Robbie Williams. Playing the piano with the stage lights shining through a light fog, it was a quiet, emotional performance. He brought the audience alive when he brought up the power vocals, and to their feet at the conclusion. Randy said the refrain at the end was the dude that he loves, the hottest moment of the season, crazy hot, loved it, loved it, loved it. Paula said that sums it up for her, fantastic. Simon said the best song choice of the night so far, one of the best pop songs written, but not the best vocal, a bit nasally, it ended better than it started, but he is going to sail through to the next round.

Bringing the show to an end was Brooke White, singing You Got A Friend by Carole King. With a sorrowful look and accompanied by piano, she took her time with a beautiful performance of a classic. The vocals carried no pretense, letting the lyrics take center stage. Randy said it was not her best performance, but just OK. Paula said it was a perfect way to close the evening, she was very definitive. Simon called it a pleasant walk in the park, not original, but pleasant.

Fuskie

Whose top performances were Syesha Mercado, David Archuleta and Brooke White...

1. No one (I can't give this spot to any of them because none of them blew me away this week at all)

2. Kristy Lee Cook and Jason Castro (a tie)

3. Michael Johns (wearing another dreadful ascot!)

4.Syesha Mercado (she should not have picked that song because of the Fantasia connection)

5.David Cook (horrible song choice...and I thought the hand thing was a little pretentious-still love him though.)

6.Brooke White (boring rendition of a great song)

7.David Archuleta (very bleah performance- did the judges hear something different than me?)

8.Carly Smithson (I love her voice but absolutely hated this performance. Simon was right- she came off as angry)

bottom three:Carly Smithson, Brooke White, Syesha Mercado

Going home: I'll go out on a limb and say Brooke White

1. Jason Castro ( I know he didn't arrange the song, but the song choice was great for him. He'll fly over the rainbow this week.)

2. Kristy Lee Cook (Gotta give her props. She's attractive and she chose a good song.)

3. Syesha Mercado (Technically sung well. But she won't connect with the audience.)

4. Michael Johns (I'll do my "Randy" imitation... It was just aright for me dog."

5. David Archuleta (Very bleah performance. Did the judges hear something different than me?)

6. David Cook (Horrible song choice...and I thought the hand thing was a little pretentious, still love him though.)

7. Brooke White (ZZZZZZ)

8.Carly Smithson (Powerful singer... clueless on how to win American Idol.)

Apologies to Kayo. I cut and pasted your post to save on typing. Some of your comments I completely agreed with, so I just left them as is...

I had to do some grammar fixing though. I'm just anal about it. Heh!

Carly will go bye bye tonight.

terry can sing

I had to do some grammar fixing though. I'm just anal about it. Heh!

:rolleyes: Ouch, you sure know how to dredge up bad memories from my school years. Is your name Mr. Phelps and did you used to teach English in Michigan, perhaps? If not, then it's ok- I forgive you.

...Or would that be- If not, then it's ok. I forgive you. Or possibly- If not, then it's ok, I forgive you?

Ahh! Now see what you've done to me? :blink:

my grammar suck so it be 24/7 job fixing mines :animated_rotfl:

LOL, sorry. My posts are not perfect by any means

No problem-I'm just messin with you! ;)

I decided not to do a 2 and a half hour recap of Idol Gives Back II. I am so far behind on things and am just not into it this week. Will return tonight with the results show recap.

Fuskie

Who apologizes if anyone feels shortchanged...

Last night, we put all the competition on hold in the name of good. But tonight it is bad news for someone as we return to business as usual. The results are in. This is American Idol.

Your results are coming to you a day later because of Idol Gives Back and tonight we have even more guests and surprises. But first say hello to Randy Jackson, Paula Abdul and Simon Cowell. We thank them for their reports on how Idol Gives back is being put to use, and we thank you for your generosity. We take a video look at last night's Idol Gives Back highlights.

So far we have raised over $60m, but the lines and the web site are still open. Or you can download AI songs from iTunes, including this performance, Shout To The Lord by the AI Top 8.

With another Disney appearance from Zach and Cody, we get more video clips not seen last night to the music of I'm A Believer by Neil Diamond and performed by The Monkeys with more stars than fit in the sky.

Now time to get down to the business at hand. Over 31 million votes came in, the highest this season. The Top 8 are on edge, waiting to find out if they made it to the safety of the couches.

Brooke White, come on out. What is the verdict tonight with White? You sang You've Got A Friend. Ryan hands her the card to read: America voted and you are safe.

Up next, bring out David Cook. You sang Innocent. America voted, you are safe. Congratulations, head on over to Brooke.

The results are in, lets bring out David Archuleta. You sang Angels. Was playing the piano and singing difficult? Well, it was a bit scary in front of millions of people, but I went for it. Well, Ryan says, it worked out for you, you are safe.

Take a look at the stools, nobody sitting there. What does that mean for the five remaining back stage? We'll find out after this break.

Last night you saw Forrest Whitaker's report on malaria and sent us back this film on the plight of the Angola's orphans as Ryan and other starts continued to plug the donation options.

Back to the music, it was Ryan's pleasure to introduce the current American Idol, Miss Jordan Sparks, singing No Air with Chris Brown.

Ryan makes a presentation of a few discs to celebrate her success. The first is for a million downloads of No Air, a gold album certification half a million sales of her CD, and finally another million downloads of Tattoo. The message here is American Idol works. Ladies and Gentlemen, Jordin Sparks and Chris Brown. And your results, after this break.

After another IGB plea from Michael Chiklis, its time for the Ford Commercial where the Idols just want to celebrate another day of living (on Idol).

Back to our results, three very happy people on the sofas, 5 very scared people back stage.

Can I have Jason Castro, please. You sang Over The Rainbow. After the vote, Jason, you're safe. Congratulations, take a seat.

Say hi to Christy Lee Cook. You sang Anyway. America voted, and Christy, you are safe.

So if we do some math, 5 people on the sofa. That means Michael Johsns, Syesha Mercado and Carly Smithson are your bottom three tonight. But who will have the lowest number of votes? We will find out live, after the break.

Jim Carrey sets a record for the number of times the word Give is said in an IGB plea. IGB is not about one show or one night. As Bono explains, it is about changing the world, changing the future. This is followed by a pitch from Hillary Clinton talking about how IGB will make a difference. McCain says AI is much like a presidential election, except votes from Florida and Michigan count. Barak Obama says his daughters are big AI fans and he makes his pitch that ordinary people can come together to do extraordinary things.

Three of America's top politicians there, and here we have the three bottom AI contestants this week. Randy is surprised by the bottom three. Paula says America got it partly right and partly wrong. Simon said he and America now have a connection.

This is not going to be easy. This is going to be a very emotional moment. After the break.

Its time to get down to business. Michael Johns, Carly Smithson and Syesha Mercado are our bottom three this week. Let's dim the lights and cue the music.

Michael, you sang Dream On. Syesha, you sang I Believe. Carly, you sang The Show Must Go On. After the nationwide vote, Syesha, you and Carly, you are safe. You may have a seat.

That means Michael has the lowest number of votes this week. Boos ring out in the audience and Paula can be heard saying, No!

Now last year, during Idol gives back, we didn't eliminate anyone at this stage of the competition.

Tonight, we're going to say goodbye to Michael Johns. Its the end of the road for Mr. Johns, lets hear it for Michael.

There are a lot of surprised fans right now. Are you surprised?

I am definitely surprised, I enjoyed singing that song. Its a song about dreams and if you had to have a song to go out on, that's it.

We take a look at Michael's journey on American Idol.

There is a lot of shock as Randy tells him to keep on rocking and he has a bright future. Paula said its time to get on with his career, time to rock it. Simon said based on the performance it wasn't the right song but he will miss him, a good singer and a really nice guy.

Michael reprises his farewell performance. His Idol chances may be over but his dreams will rock on.

Fuskie

Who is truly disappointed in America this week...

i didnt expect michael to leave at this stage he been good week in week out

cecimom congrats on prediction

Yeah, cecimom, how did you predict that so accurately? Do you have a connection we don't know about? ;) That one really surprised me because I never would have thought he would go home so soon.

I didn't want him to go home, yet. But I had a feeling that some of David Cook's fans are also Michael Johns fans and visa versa. With David having such a bad week and Michael being forgettable (hurt that he went first) I thought the people that would have normally kept Michael in had to choose this week, between him and David and I was positive David would win out.

i think its a crock! michael is so much better than carly, *$&&@# david cook, AND kristy lee.......he wasn't going to win it, but seriously, he had more talent and charisma than a lot of other people!!!! grrrrrrr

fix is in

Yep Baron and he doesn't have to abide by the rules of an American Idol winner. I know their under contract for a period of time after winning but Im not sure how long.

The best thing that happened to Daughtry was not winning the title.

Archived