Billboard Hits Night

nebartist

What was the best performance of the night?  

1. 1. What was the best performance of the night?

• Jessica
    • Scott
    • Mikalah
    • Bo
    • Nadia
    • Anthony
    • Vonzell
    • Anwar
    • Carrie
    • Nikko

Guest conniejoe
IMO the four best performances tonight were Carrie, Anwar, Jessica and Nikko. Of these, I thought Carrie outdid them all!

Forget drug testing the Baseball players someone needs to be regulating Paula's Urine. What is this woman on? I almost feel embarrased for her

Wow it is hard for me to pick a fav out of Carrie, Jessica and Scott

Carrie- Finally showed some life tonite. Love "Alone" was a big Heart fan in the 80's. But I wonder how much of the performance was the background singers.

Scott- Finally brought it tonite! That performance reminded me of why i liked him in the beginning.

Jessica- I just listened to this song today. I LOVE Total Eclipse of the Heart. She did very good. Though it was a shame the song had to be chopped up like that.

Bo- Another good song..but seems he just keeps playing it safer as the weeks go on.

Nikko- was pitchy

Nadia- she looked AWESOME!! Mohawk was great. she performs like a star. She succeeds at sexyness where Constantine fails. Vocals were not all that strong tonite.

Anwar- Simon was right he got the power note in there the rest was just blah. I donno I just don't like his voice

Vonzell- eh okay nothing spectacular

Contantine- Does he seem fake to anyone else but me? He tries to hard to be sexy.

Mikalah- Mikalah- Girl please don't sing no mo'. You are a pretty girl try acting. Perhaps a Prequal to Beauty and the Beautician. Or "The Life and Times of Fran Drescher"

Guest conniejoe
Mikalah- Mikalah- Girl please don't sing no mo'. You are a pretty girl try acting. Perhaps a Prequal to Beauty and the Beautician. Or "The Life and Times of Fran Drescher"

You said it, Neb. That was just painful. It made my fillings hurt!

Guest Anonymous

I think that Constantine outsung Bo again tonight but to be honest neither one of them did a "great" job tonight. It was a clear win for Carrie -- every note was perfection.

Guest Anonymous

Oh... and I really have to add that Mikala's performance was just plain embarrassing. Its like listening to an amateur. Can she not hear herself?

Guest Anonymous
If we're being completely honest... the best performances were from Carrie and Jessica.    Simon called it and I agree with him.

ooooh now that can be scary -- agreeing with Simon.

And I only half agree. I think Carrie really hit it tonight -- but I see Jessica falling a bit short. She seemed to have problems with the lyrics? And it sounded just a little pitchy to me.

I predict Mikala's last performance. But I think she'll be joined in the bottom three by Nikko and Vonzelle. Then again -- I couldn't keep listening to Nikko's performance. Vonzelle just didn't do it for me.

And I only half agree.  I think Carrie really hit it tonight -- but I see Jessica falling a bit short.  She seemed to have problems with the lyrics?  And it sounded just a little pitchy to me. 

Carrie was good but I will say it again I think the power behind the song was in the background vocals. Take them away I don't think it would have been as powerful.

Jessica sang her song great, The Lyrics were just too chopped up

I do agree with your bottom 3

I think a lot of them actually did better last week :?

My bottom three are still Mikala, Scott and Nikko.

That's just my opinion based on ALL the past performances of the whole group .... not just tonite.

Guest conniejoe

Now, I thought Nikko's performance was fantastic tonight. I really enjoyed it!

My bottom three are Mikalah, Mikalah and, um...let see...Mikalah.

I agree with you, slowpoke, on the bottom three being Mikalah, Scott and Nikko. But Nadia really dropped the ball tonight. The only thing saving her is her past performances and the fact that Mikalah just keeps getting worse!

:roll:

Guest Anonymous

I disagree with Scott. He's growing on me as a singer. He's got the vocals and I think for a long while it was his general appearance that caught me off. But singing the song he did tonight wasn't a smart idea. I'm not sure it was a good choice.

Guest RogueyStars2004

Another great show with 8 fantastic performaces! :D

I loved everyone's performance except for Mikalah, Vonzell and Scott. I have never been a fan of Vonzell's or Scott's and each week I hope they go. I am sorry to their fans, but they have never grown on me. Each week they seem to irritate me more and more. I was a fan of Mikalah's at the beginning, but she has been doing horribly the last few weeks. The poor girl. Here is how the voting went down for me tonight:

Girls:

#1: Nadia-voted 75 times

#2: Jessica-voted 75 times

#3: Carrie-voted 50 times

Guys:

#1: Constantine-voted 75 times

#2: Bo-voted 75 times

#3: Anwar-voted 75 times

#4: Anthony-voted 75 times

#5: Nikko-voted 60 times

My bottom three are Mikalah, Vonzell and Scott. I would love to see Vonzell or Scott go, but I do know that it is time for Mikalah to go home. She just hasn't been dishing it up the last couple of weeks and her time is up.

~RogueyStars2004

Heart Stopping Chart Topping on 'Idol'

jessicasierraamericanidol4part.th.jpg

By Daniel Fienberg

LOS ANGELES (Zap2it.com) Whoa. Somebody had better fire the lighting guy. Tuesday (March 22) night's "American Idol" begins with host Ryan Seacrest blinded by the light (perhaps even revved up like a deuce, another runner in the night) and heaven knows Ryan doesn't pay all that money for MysticTan to look like a bloodless ghoul on national television.

The night's theme is Billboard No. 1 hits. That means that because the singers made such a botch of last week's decade-inspired theme, the show's producers had to expand the parameters.

Anthony Fedorov kicks the night off with "I Knew You Were Waiting" which is supposed to remind us of the adversity he's overcome. His voice is thin, but serviceable and his stage presence is meek, but not painful to watch. It just looks like he's struggling to be energetic and to connect with the audience. Randy worked on the song so, not surprisingly, he's happy. Paula says that Anthony did both Aretha Franklin and George Michael proud. Simon thinks it was only OK and criticizes Anthony's attempt to be sexy. Got that, Anthony? Simon thinks you shouldn't be doing Latin-influenced songs or anything sexy."It would be rather like Randy Jackson going on 'Baywatch,'" Simon reaches.

Carrie's hair is blown out in honor of Heart's 1987 hit "Alone." It's an admirable attempt to break out of her "farm girl next door" image and despite the overbearing backing vocals and the inane string orchestra behind her, she's really sexy and spirited. Randy declares that she was unbelievable. Paula apparently worked on the video for this song and she's willing to put Carrie in the Ann and Nancy Wilson category. Simon, tongue rolling out of his mouth like a Tex Avery wolf, says that not only is Carrie the woman to beat, but she's the person to beat and she'll sell more albums than any other artist in "Idol" history.

Scott Savol has ditched his semi-beard in favor of a semi-goatee and a pencil-thin semi-mustache. His take on "Against All Odds" is overly mannered, both vocally and in terms of performance. At one point, the Round Mound of Sound tosses off his hat and untucks his shirt, threatening the audience with a striptease. Then he spends an entire chorus just rocking back and forth, looking in danger of toppling entirely. The last thing Scott wants to do is draw comparisons to a Weeble and while he wobbles, he doesn't, in fact, fall down. Randy thinks he had it on and popping. Paula thinks Scott's in it to win it. Does Simon have a stupid cliche to toss out? Actually, Simon was listening to the warbling vocals and wasn't impressed.

Bo Bice's surprising pick is "Time in a Bottle." With a goofball acoustic guitar accompaniment and images of waves crashing in the background, it threatens to get really cheesy in a hurry. With my eyes closed, Scott Savol-style, it's possible to concentrate on the soulful and earnest interpretation of the song. It was a bit too subdued for Randy. Paula thinks 60 million people watch "Idol" each week, so I'm not listening to her anymore. Simon says Bo sings like he isn't in a competition and that compliment earns a smooch from Paula.

Nikko Smith does Sisqo's "Incomplete." Yes, Nikko has decided that Sisqo is the proper artist to follow his covers of Stevie Wonder, Ray Charles, Marvin Gaye and Michael Jackson tunes. After a genuinely rusty return performance last week, Nikko's in better form. He has problems with the melody in points, including the last note, but he seems polished and comfortable again on the stage. Randy is glad we're getting to see the real Nikko Smith. Paula has goosebumps. Simon noticed the tuning problems as well, but still thinks it was Nikko's best. And again, he earns a kiss from Paula.

Vonzell Solomon sounds just fine on "Best of My Love." She's still unclear on what to do to make that transition from good singer to compelling performer. She stands in a corner for a couple lines, moves to the audience and stands still for a bit, stands still in front of the judges and then stands still back on the stage. Randy and Paula think Vonzell took a risk and Simon suggests this will be the first time that viewers will remember her. Paula gives Simon a big hug. If they're in agreement one more time tonight, Simon's gonna get a lapdance.

Constantine Maroulis thinks "I Think I Love You" rocks. Good for him. It's about time we had a contestant just treat this show as a joke, because surely Constantine can't be serious. He's awful to listen to -- when you have to strain to sing a Partridge Family song, that means your pipes aren't all there -- and absolutely hilarious. Of course he's more talented than William Hung, but I think that voters are responding to that same guileless eagerness to please rather than to any marketable musical gifts. Randy thinks it was over-the-top, but fun. Paula thinks he did the song justice which, given its origins, isn't difficult. Simon just didn't buy the fit.

Nadia Turner had a hard time finding the right song, so she went with "Time After Time." She also went with a towering fauxhawk, which she pulls off better than you might expect. The band needs to be pared down next week, because Nadia, like those before her, is overwhelmed by the guitars and intrusive instrumentals, which only accentuate that her vocals weren't quite up to this much production. Randy says nothing about this performance, but calls her a star. Paula agrees and thinks Nadia rocked it. Simon whips out his favorite cruise ship analogy, calling it Nadia's worst night yet.

It's funny. In previous weeks, Mikalah Gordon has allegedly sounded a lot like Taylor Dayne. Why is it, then, that when she chooses to sing Taylor Dayne's "Love Will Lead You Back" she can't manage to sound at all like Taylor Dayne? She's off from the very first note and with her mangled phrasing, it's more painful than appealing. She's wearing less make-up this week, at least. That's a plus. Randy calls it pitchy and misses Vegas Mikalah. Paula still loves her even though it was bad. Simon dubs it a "complete and utter mess." Mikalah still winks and blows Simon a kiss.

Not to say that men shouldn't perform Chaka Khan, but "Ain't Nobody" wasn't what Anwar Robinson should have chosen with such a wide open theme. It takes him a long time to catch up with the rhythm and he doesn't settle in until the big notes at the end. Perhaps the top vocalist in the earlier rounds, Anwar's now been subpar two straight weeks. It was only aight for Randy. Paula's just giddy that he sang a hit by a female artist. Simon agrees that Anwar needed to go up-tempo, but says that he wasn't consistent enough.

The best way to keep viewers from forgetting Jessica Sierra is to schedule her last. After falling into the Bottom Three last week, she's brought out another low-cut top for her take on "Total Eclipse of the Heart," suggesting that she knows other ways to capture their attention. She sounds strong on the over-done favorite, but she doesn't actually do very much beyond following the camera with her head. Both Randy and Paula cheapen the meaning of the word "brilliant." Simon announces that Carrie and Jessica were the cream of the evening's crop.

As a viewer who appreciates the camp value of "American Idol," I'd much rather have horror-show messes like Mikalah and Constantine than milquetoast mediocrities like Anthony. However, after nearly going home last week and delivering the night's worst performance, it would take a miracle to save Mikalah tomorrow night..

Guest XandraSkye

Last night's show was awesome. I loved every single song they choose to sing last night.

My top three last night were: Carrie, Scott and Jessica.

My bottom three last night were: Mikalah, Anwar and Constantine.

And I think it's a pretty much a done deal that Mikalah will be going home tonight. I'll be sad to see her go but she definitely doesn't have the talent that the rest of them have.

This might age me -- but I loved hearing Constantine sing 'I think I love you'. All of a sudden I was a kid again. lol

me too! it was a bit surreal he didnt quite have the Keith look but kinda, the only thing missing was a lip-synced performance and it would have been like watching the old show....oh wait!, the lip-syncing begins if they win ad go on tour, my bad :P