Season 6 General Discussion

Hope it's okay to start a new topic, but I just had to post about tonight's show! The men kicked off DWTS tonight, and I was pleasantly surprised by some of them. Penn Teller was not as bad as I thought he would be (he wasn't good by any means, but he moves okay for a big old man). Jason Taylor (hot hot) moved very well. I think he will become a very good dancer as the season goes on. Adam Carolla, not so good, but I think he tried. He needs to shut up more and let Julianne teach him - he needs a lot of work. Mario (HOT HOT HOT) has some moves, and he really let his personality shine. Oh and speaking of hot, Cristian is pretty damn fine! I think he has potential as a dancer as well. And lastly, Steve Guttenberg was a pleasant surprise. He seemed to really enjoy his dance and he wasn't that bad either! I think he has possibilities.

Steve Guttenberg is my guy. My voting is strictly based on the fact that "Diner" is one of my top 3 movies of all time. Although I do want to see a woman win this year. I'm over Cheryl Burke and Julianne Hough.

Watched the men last night. A lot of names I have never heard of. I have heard of Penn and Steve G. I don't watch football and did not know who that was. I don't listen to hip hop so I did not know that guy. The Latin guy is to die for but never heard of him.

Can't wait to watch the woman tonight.

Guttenberg should be fun to watch... doubt if he'll make it to the finals...

but, he'll give it his best shot for sure.

The men will have a hard time living up to the past Speed Skater and Race Car Driver.

Wonder how the ladies will do tonite ???

Can't wait....

Okay, no secret that I love Kristi Yamaguchi, but even if I didn't, I would say she kicked some serious arse tonight. She was amazing for the first night. And Marlee Matlin - I am in amazement at how well she danced. She can't hear a blessed thing, but she did great. And what a sparkling personality she has! I hope she stays around for a while.

Yes those 3 really stepped it up. Maybe we will have a female in the running this year. In the beginning it is so much about popularity.

I think Kristi did the best job with the woman. The were all good but.... maybe not Monica. I felt sorry for her though.

I saw Lisa Marie (now pregnant) was in the audience.

Pricilla has nothing to be ashamed of either (except maybe too many face-lifts)

lol- I thought she did an excellent job...I just couldn't get past the fact that I felt sorry for her because her face actually looks like it hurts! Did she use her ex-son-in-law's plastic surgeon...or did he use hers? She used to be so beautiful too :sadwalk:

Yamaguchi looked like a semi-professional dancer last night. The dance training she's had for her figure skating career is definitely giving her an advantage. Although previous dance training may have been what hurt front runner Sabrina Bryan last season.

Wow that would make her 63 years old. She does look too plastic. She has always had such a pale looking face. She would look better with some color in her skin.

She did pretty good for her age.

And what kind of training do you think Kristi Y had? Maybe some ballet, but I can't imagine that skaters train anything like ballroom.

Oh, and I agree Priscilla danced pretty well, but whoever said her face looked like it hurt (I think it was Kayo) was absolutely right. Plastic surgery gone awry.

Kristi had to have ballet lessons to skate. but she was great. One of the best first dances I've seen. Right up there with Sabrina last season. She should stay for awhile. I like Priscilla also. I don't think shes had any formal training but she looked very graceful. Ifelt sorry for Monica. Her nerves got the better of her.

And what kind of training do you think Kristi Y had? Maybe some ballet, but I can't imagine that skaters train anything like ballroom.

For stamina, posture, and artistic dance I believe Olympic figure skaters train at least as hard as ballroom. Sabrina Bryan only had hip-hop training, but a lot of people didn't like what they saw as an advantage she had over others.

I agree they train AS HARD, but not as hard in dance. I think it's more of an enhancement for skaters, not a requirement. I'll be interested to see how she does in the latin dance next week. I really think her "advantage" is more her competetiveness and training ethic than any dance training.

Hi there. What I don't understand is who decides on the pairing of this show?

Look at Marissa? She is so small and is dancing with one of the biggest professional dancers? Why did they not pair her up with the Dutch dancer?

I read he could not join season 4 because all the female stars were too big for him???? :animated_scratchchin:

Not a fan of the ice skater plus Marissa.

Kristy and Marissa both have already some experience in dance. Same with Mario. I prefer to have people on there who don't have any experience.

Yes it is different, but with the skating. she has to dance while skate. They all do ballet and dance is a big part of there lives. Yes it is not ballroom but it still gives you a big advantage. This was proven in the show.

Marissa, seems nice but she is a bit too much for me. I don't know the English word for it. Too energetic.

Last year the UK and US season overlapped each other. Does this mean the UK version is also soon beginning?

I agree they train AS HARD, but not as hard in dance. I think it's more of an enhancement for skaters, not a requirement. I'll be interested to see how she does in the latin dance next week. I really think her "advantage" is more her competetiveness and training ethic than any dance training.

Since half of a skaters score is based on artistic interpretation, I'd say it is more of a requirement than an enhancement. Don't get me wrong, she's great and she should go far, but she does have a certain advantage over the others.

I hated to see Gutt go. He tried so hard, and he seemed to really enjoy the dancing. I can't believe Adam Carolla is still there (well yes I can, because there is always one every year that just won't GO AWAY).

• 1 month later...

Archived