Ghost Whisperer

Courtesy of: TV GUIDE, TV SHOW BLOGS

Ghost Whisperer

by Jeannine Rochon-Burkart

Episode Recap: "Don't Try This at Home"

Bloody Mary [spin], bloody Mary [spin], bloody Mary [spin]. Did you ever play that game? I did several times at grade-school slumber parties, and here's the secret: the reason "Bloody Mary" pops out at you in the mirror is... you're so dizzy after spinning around three times, you wind up seeing your reflection "behind" you. But do not try this at home!

Actually, at the start of the episode, when the first "victim" landed herself in the hospital, I thought, "It's kind of what's supposed to happen when you play that Bloody Mary game in the mirror!" Was I right, or was I right?

After a pretty eventful season premiere, I don't have much to say about this episode, and not because it was bad. It just didn't really connect any dots about the big "Grandview secret" or all of the other unanswered questions. But that's OK, I'm sure we'll get a few episodes of the "semi-serialized" variety for a few weeks, and then the dots will start lining up during November sweeps. It just seems to work that way, eh?

But what bugged me about tonight's episode:

1) Still not enough Jim and Delia for me. They seem to be focusing mostly on Payne, and as much as I love that character, I hope they don't focus on him so much that it ruins a good Payne. It wouldn't be the fault of Jay Mohr's, but of the writers. We all love Jim, so why blow him off? Most of us love Delia, so why blow those characters off to show more scenes with Payne? It's just not necessary for the betterment of the show.

2) Did the whole "Bloody Mary on the Internet" thing make you feel like somebody in the boardroom said, "This is what the kids are doing these days, let's write that"? I found it a bit forced, and not very necessary as a way for us to get to know the circle of friends affected by Rachel's ghost.

What I liked about this episode:

1) Autumn Reeser! Hey ya, Autumn, Michael Ausiello isn't your only TV Guide blogger fan, OK?!

If you all don't know who I'm talking about, you missed out on the best O.C. season ever (well, it was about as good as Season 2). Unfortunately, it was the last season. [single tear] Autumn, as the character Taylor, turned out to be one of my favorite characters on The O.C. and I was really sad the show got canceled, because (sorry, Mischa), once mopey Marissa left the series and they brought Taylor into the group of four, the show really found its groove again. I think they could have done at least one more season but... oh well. (Autumn played the character of Sloan tonight.)

Now then, back to Ghost Whisperer.

2) This one had a nice, creepy vibe, but again, not too creepy. I would be surprised about the increase in blood (and fingernails), but c'mon, this episode revolved around Bloody Mary, so I don't think they're suddenly trying to get all CSI on us or anything.

What was done right about the way this ghost was impacting the students was that it felt a little bit like The Ring, in which word got around about "the ghost," so everyone was daring each other to try that (urban)-legend thing that could potentially kill ya. That's actually pretty realistic... at least, realistic enough that I tried it with my friends back in the day....

3) Finally, what I liked about the episode is that it said to me, "Halloween is right around the corner!" And I love me some Halloween.

Your thoughts on tonight's episode? I'm not commenting on the cleavage, because it never really fits into what bugs me or what's fun about the episodes.... It sort of sits somewhere... in between.

Posted by Jeannine Rochon-Burkart 10/6/07 3:35 AM

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ghost Whisperer

Episode Recap: "Haunted Hero"

Wow. I... am at a loss for words regarding this episode, and I'm trying to figure out why. I will be very curious to read your thoughts on this one, Ghosties.

I thought that the mystery behind the haunting was unique. I liked seeing Jim being much more active at helping Mel with this haunting, but overall, I felt a little bit confused because it seemed like an obligatory "war episode." I dunno, maybe it's because I also watch Brothers & Sisters, and Sunday's episode brought one of the brothers home from Iraq injured, and it was pretty intense.

Anyway, one thing is for certain: Whether this episode was about war or roses, it wouldn't matter because at the end of the day, the GW powers-that-be seem to be getting further and further away from the greater mystery that they started last season and opened with this season. I mean, I know we're only three episodes into the season, but with each episode, they're moving further and further away from all of the greater Grandview mysteries they've begun, and I'm not enjoying that trend.

Is it shallow that I'd rather they follow through on what they've started than throw in a "war episode"? And this truly has nothing whatsoever to do with any feelings I have concerning the current war. This could have been about any war in our history and I'd feel just as frustrated.

Where's the kid in the records department? What about Gabriel? What about the light being blocked by an unseen force? How about Dad? They need to make a decision about sticking to a serialized show if they want to start all of these huge plot events.... It doesn't work anymore when an episode gets thrown in that doesn't even hint at what's going on.

Your thoughts?

Posted by Jeannine Rochon-Burkart 10/13/07 4:16 AM

Who saved Melinda from the bad ghost??!!! I am betting it was Daddy protecting his little girl.

Ghost Whisperer

Episode Recap: "No Safe Place"

This episode had me on the edge of my seat. Very cool twist with "who's stalking who." Did you find that the way in which the ghost twitched her neck was waaay creepy? I thought so. Either the actress did a really good job with it, or they did something with the frame rate to make it creepier [a la Japanese horror and their ghosts]. Or maybe it was that "crunch" sound effect. *shivers*

Did you notice that during the crossing over, when the ghost was in the presence of Campbell, she didn't twitch anymore? I loved that subtle, but effective detail.

Also, the way the stalker [not remembering his name, and too lazy to look it up LOL] had hung those photos up in his office? Cah-REEPy!

No Payne this time, but oddly, that was okay by me... maybe because now I know he's a series regular, so there's no reason to worry when he's not in an episode.

Now, I never watched season one... has anyone ever "met" Jim's mom? She sounds like quite the character!

The cliffhanger ending was great. I never saw it coming, and I can smell Halloween and sweeps approaching like a giant, ghost-y storm cloud. Bring it on!

Posted by Jeannine Rochon-Burkart 10/20/07 2:46 PM

SPOILER ALERT...HIGHLIGHT TO SEE

Courtesy of; SPOILERFIX

09/21 - Episode 3.07 - Unhappy Medium: When a young woman goes missing, the family assumes it is a kidnapping but there is no ransom note. Jim and Melinda talk about the case because a "psychic" is about to talk to the family and Melinda knows that he really doesn't know anything but will be making stuff up to make the family happy just so he can take their money. Melinda visits the family and after talking to the younger sister, realizes that it wasn't a kidnapping but an intervention, by the sister and the victim's ex-boyfriend, gone wrong. Source: SpoilerFix.com

10/07 - Episode 3.08 - Bad Blood: Melinda deals with a ghostly husband and wife who refuse to crossover. She challenges them to a game of 20 questions, saying if she guesses their secret that they must crossover. They taunt her, cruelly calling her Andrea, forcing her to see an accident that happened between Matt and his father which then leads to his father's murder. They are also causing trouble for another man and woman, which is how Melinda becomes involved. Source: SpoilerFix.com

10/16 - Episode 3.09 - All Ghosts Lead to Grandview: Melinda and Jim take care of a young girl named Becca who says she can also see ghosts. She claims her parents died when she was younger but Melinda coaxes her to tell the truth and she tells her that no one else understands and she wants to stay with Melinda. She says that she is forced to go to doctors, that they try and make her take pills and that the only way it will get better is to make the ghosts go away. The ghost of the little boy that Becca has seen, Daniel, tells her that a man approached him and told him that Dan should go with him because he knows where "they" are keeping Daniel's parents. Becca tells him to talk to Melinda and he says that he doesn't know Melinda but he knows Becca so he wants her to help him, not Melinda. Source: SpoilerFix.com

• 3 weeks later...

Ghost Whisperer

Episode Recap: "Double Exposure"

Melinda: "I've been thinking about how dark spirits don't just lurk underground... that they're around me all the time.... I just want you to know that that doesn't scare me."

Jim: "How is that reassuring?"

Melinda: "Because... anger and darkness... that's just the stuff we're supposed to unravel and learn from. And I do that all the time. I'm not afraid because... I know that love is stronger. I've seen it."

Jim: "OK, no more decisions based on fear."

Melinda: "No more decisions based on fear."

I loved that closing scene so much. This week, it was Jim and Melinda that moved me the most. I love that they had a disagreement, I love that they worked through it with tenderness, honesty and humor, and I love that Jim's starting to mean more to the show than "perfect husband." I mean, he still is a perfect husband, but I like that he's starting to communicate his own needs and goals, and that it's bringing a realistic element of conflict to the show without being forced. Reminds me a little more of the dynamic between Jake Weber and Patricia Arquette in Medium. I would love it if the show continued to show more of their marriage than chatting about the week's "encounters" over dinner. I like this direction, GW writers... go with it!

But enough talk about great on-screen marriages, let's talk ghosts! Lately, I've found myself amazed that the writers seem to come up with such interesting ghost stories week after week. We really don't ever get "same ol' ghost, same ol' ghost story" from this show. Even when it's a mediocre episode, it's rarely (if ever) recycled material.

When Mel said, "I think I've just seen a 21st-century suicide note," it gave me chills. I always resonate with the whole "let's use the digital age as spirit transportation" method to the madness.... Y'know, Shocker, Ghost in the Machine, Poltergeist, The Ring... it just works.

Another great quote of the night came from (of course) Payne: "Oh, I see, you were trying to give me 100 reasons not to go out with you, but really, it was one big reason." Wow, way to cut her to the core, Payne.

Besides that, I can't think of anything else that stood out as blog-worthy this episode. Your turn!

PS. I know I owe you all an entry for last week. I had some personal, business and health issues take me by storm. But this weekend is catch-up weekend for me.... And I do have some thoughts on that episode, so I will be back!

Posted by Jeannine Rochon-Burkart 11/2/07 11:41 PM

Episode Recap: "Unhappy Medium"

An Unlikely Alliance

This episode made me cry. Like a baby. I think it's because I found the partnership between Melinda and Casey to be as touching in the end as the actual crossing over. The storyline of having somebody "with a gift" move in on Mel's turf was interesting enough, but then when Jim gave Melinda advice on embracing the "competition" rather than fighting him... well, that made the plot take the high ground, and I was genuinely moved by how their dynamic evolved from that point on through to the end. I think I cried more from how Mel and Casey delivered the "tag-team crossover" in the end than from the actual crossing over... excellent acting between J. Love and Orlando Jones.

Orlando!

Applause to Orlando Jones for doing an amazing job as Casey the wonder guru. It was very smart for the writers to keep that character from venturing into comedic territory

Ghost Whisperer

Episode Recap: "Bad Blood"

Wardrobe Melfunction

My first thought this episode was: holy pants, Batman!

Bueller? Bueller? Bueller?

Anyone who experienced their pre-teen to teen years in the '80s will understand why I'm referring to Ferris Bueller's Day Off in this post. Wow, Alan Ruck really hasn't aged a whole lot, has he? Well... and neither has Matthew Broderick, come to think of it.

It's a Sick.... Howse [Yes, I'm Singing That to the Tune Of... oh, Nevermind]!

One thing that I found very effective was the lighting in the house during scenes in which the father and daughter were in a trance. Did you notice how everything was cast in sort of a murky, "sick" green hue? The characters were also often filmed at strange angles when in the house, and of course, the ghosts themselves had an "off" color to them, as well. The ghosts weren't as subtle, but the house had a subliminal sort of "ick" to it, which was really effective.

Doubting Delia

I enjoyed the scenes between Delia and Melinda... the interaction felt believable to me...

Great Paynes

I loved some of Payne's references in this episode. "More Jack Nicholson, less Linda Blair." References to two of the greatest films of all time. "Heeeeere's Johnny!" [Hm....I would try to quote something from The Exorcist, but I'd probably get kicked out of blogging here for repeating any of Regan's more... uh... infamous quotes].

Which leads me to another great Payne quote. When comparing oppression to possession: "It's more bedside manner and less head-spinning."

Finally, "The Newlydeads Game." Too funny... but mostly because of the way Jay Mohr delivered that line. Brilliant [as always, Jay]!

Good, Mean Fun

I gotta say, I loved the wicked sense of humor in this episode, especially the ending... it was nice to see the kitty cat, too.

Your thoughts on "Bad Blood?"

Posted by Jeannine Rochon-Burkart 11/17/07 1:42 AM

(Disclaimer: I Dade, am not responsible for any typos in the above article. I think they meant to say "Bad Blood" in the episode recap title.)

• 2 weeks later...

Ghost Whisperer

Episode Recap: All Ghosts Lead to Grandview

Hmmm... ah... hmmmm... Ghosties, I got nothin' on this one. Is it because I'm still too full from feasting to care? I really don't know.

For all that happened in this episode, it feels like I should have so much to say, but I don't. Something about this storyline just didn't grab me for some reason... maybe it's because I didn't empathize with "Mini Mel," and I'm not sure why. I don't think it was any fault of the actress, and it's not like the writing or plot was subpar.

Maybe this episode should have been a two-parter, so that I could feel a bit more invested in the Little Ghost Whisperer... I felt like she was sort of thrown at us out of left field, and then we were supposed to care as much about her as Mel did. Meeting a young Ghost Whisperer had to have been extremely pivotal for Mel, but for me, it fell flat. Am I just a cold-hearted viewer this weekend, or what's the deal?

Now, I did like the scene with Little Mel and her grandmother in the hospital. That gave us some great backstory on how Mel learned very early on how to hone her... craft, so to speak. I also thought that the reunion with the kid and his parents was pretty cool. I also felt a bit moved when Mini-Mel figured out how to make her parents believe. But overall, it seems like this should be a really huge deal of an episode, and I really wasn't as affected by it as some of the other episodes this season.

Finally, I'm getting tired of Gabriel showing up, talking in his cryptic riddles, and then disappearing into the mist. How long do you think they will continue to milk that storyline? I'm getting a little impatient... I'd like a few more true clues dropped our way. Clues that mean more than "Oooh, darkness. Badness. Look out, Mel. Oh no, wait. You don't understand Mel. You're my sister... or are you? Bippity-boppity-boo. The next time I see you, you'll find out more... or will you?"

Maybe I'm just cranky tonight... or am I? What did you think?

Oh, and I hope you all put the "ful" into wonderful this Thanksgiving weekend!

Posted by Jeannine Rochon-Burkart 11/25/07 9:21 PM

• 3 weeks later...

Courtesy of; TV GUIDE, TV SHOW BLOGS

Ghost Whisperer

Episode Recap: Holiday Spirit

The Ice Storm

It was a surreal week leading up to Friday night. I'd lived in Wisconsin half my life, and never thought in a million years, I'd face the worst winter of my entire life in Tulsa, Oklahoma. After so many winters watching snowdrifts hit sixteen-plus feet at times, I'd never spent more than a few hours without power [and heat and hot water] during those Wisconsin winters. Last week, I was without power for three days. Some Tulsans are still without power, a week later, so I will level with you: I feel silly exerting effort writing a blog entry about a TV show while other people are still dealing with this hideous weather fallout. However, this is my blog, so I don't feel silly admitting my gratitude for making it through the week with a pretty positive attitude, for having my power [and heat] back, and for having my TV back!

Last week, I found out that I survive just fine without TV [it's music I cannot live without

• 4 weeks later...

Ghost Whisperer

Episode Recap: Slam

Yay, we get new Ghost Whisperer episodes for a bit! [And Moonlight too, yum-yum]!

Happy New Year, Ghosties... how did you like this one?

I really, really liked this episode. Had Jim been present in a significant way, it would have been near-perfect for me... definitely, a favorite of the season.

First of all, how do you like our new Ned?! Is he adorable, or what?! I know that many of you Ghosties didn't really care for the younger Ned of last season... are you happy with this new incarnation?

I have to say, I was loving the scene when Ned, Mel and Delia were all together in the shop, talking openly about the haunting, and putting their heads together on how to help. Isn't that totally what we'd all wanted to see for so many months? I enjoyed it so much, and I hope that [new] Ned becomes a regular fixture on the show.

So now, there's a bit of a mystery brewing with the photographer/blogger guy. It got pretty tense there for a bit between Mel and Payne, but I'm glad they made nice in the end. Do you think the blogger guy will have ties to the whole "big bad looming thing" surrounding Grandview, or do you think they're [the writers] starting us on a whole new path? I have no idea.

The haunting this episode was so original, as was the resolution. I have to say, I cried when the ghost talked about how his parents always accepted them both [he and his sister] for who they were. The ending scene with the three kids [Ned and the girls] at the coffee shop was beautiful.

Slam sites. Do they exist? I'd meant to find out myself [hello, Google], but haven't had the time... maybe I'll check into it.

Posted by Jeannine Rochon-Burkart 01/14/08 12:25 AM

• 2 weeks later...

Ghost Whisperer

Episode Recap: First Do No Harm

Well Ghosties, guess what I returned home to on Friday evening? NO. CABLE. For me, no cable = no land phone, Internets or TV [gotta love those "bundle deals"]! They couldn't send anyone out until today, and the cable guy just left the house. They told us that they're still cleaning up the mess from the ice storm... can you believe that? Anyway, after having been without power for three days several weeks ago, I was really able to keep things in perspective over the weekend. Losing cable is easy. I mean, I was going crazy without the Internets, but... no power for half a week is just... an experience I don't want to have again.

So I'm officially connected again, but my weekend shows have officially gone A.W.O.L.! My first order of business was to log on and tell you all what happened.

It looks like I need you all to fill me in this episode recap. In the meantime, I'm going to see if I can find a way to get a hold of the episode, come back, and chat with you all later.

For now, it's all yours... take it away!

Posted by Jeannine Rochon-Burkart 01/21/08 2:38 PM

• 1 month later...

Courtesy of: SPOILEFIX

02/28 - Episode 3.13 - Home But Not Alone [Airing April 4]: When Ned and his girlfriend get in trouble, Delia tries to get ahold of the girl's mother but her older sister comes to pick her up instead. Melinda tells Ned that the ghost of the girl's father is haunting him and Delia gets upset. They learn that the girl and her two siblings have been on their own since their mother left and are horrified to hear what happened with them and their mother. When the mother's ghost appears to Melinda, she tries to help keep the kids together and happy. Source: SpoilerFix.com

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I know...it's going to be nice to get back into them all again.

SPOILER ALERT....HIGHLIGHT TO SEE

Courtesy of: SPOILERFIX

03/19 - Episode 3.14 - The Gravesitter [Airing April 11]: Justin, a young college student is killed when the boat he is on with his friend Julie sinks. Melinda speaks to his brother and sister who tell her stories about him as a young boy, sitting by their parents headstones after they died, keeping them company so they wouldn't be alone. She and Professor Payne go underground and speak to Justin and Julie. Julie is the one that sank the boat to try and get the insurance money but is mad at Justin because in trying to escape, he left her there to die. She is now trying to convince Justin that staying there in the underground "city" is the best thing for him, but Melinda works to convince him otherwise. Source: SpoilerFix.com

03/25 - Episode 3.15 - Horror Show [Airing April 18]: A young man trying to get into film school is shooting horror scenes to put together a movie. When he dies, Melinda and Professor Payne talk to several of the people on the tape and realize that he was taking each person's worst fear and basically bringing it to life. When Payne finds the edited film the guy was working on, he tells Melinda that it looks like he was scaring people to death. Jim also appears. Source: SpoilerFix.com

Courtesy of: SPOILERFIX

04/09 - Episode 3.16 - Deadbeat Dads: Professor Payne meets Elliot, the brilliant, genius son of one of Payne's old girlfriends. He finds out the boy is almost 10-years-old and realizes he may be the boy's father, which angers his deceased wife. After watching Payne, Elliot and the boy's mother, Melinda tells Jim she wants to have a baby. Melinda meets with Carl, a detective she hired to trace her father's whereabouts after he left Melinda and her mother. Carl stops by the house to give her the little bit of information he collected on her father and something strange happens to him while he stands there talking to Melinda. Source: SpoilerFix.com

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Well, I'm very excited for the return of this show, even though I don't know when it's starting up again. I hope I haven't missed it.

The shadows. Whose was missing? Well...I won't say in case you don't want a spoiler. However, if you do, this article is interesting regarding the missing Shadows.

A little bit of research and the rumors are rampant. One pretty reliable source said that it was true. I guess ultimately we'll just have to watch and see.

We all know that the professor (Jay Mohr) has his own show now so he won't be back. Too bad. I liked his character a lot. He and Melinda bounced off one another quite amusingly.