Ghost Whisperer

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It looks like someone took a black marker and marked it out. Give me some time to get used to it.

• 2 weeks later...

Courtesy of: TV GUIDE, TV SHOW COMMENTARY

Ghost Whisperer

by Jeannine Rochon-Burkart

January 12, 2007: Baby Steps?

Why? Why why why why why times infinity did Delia have to get stood up at the theater? I mean, I know that Tim's a firefighter, so I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt. It's not like firefighters have the luxury of making a phone call when they get called to an emergency, but still, she took a few steps forward and now... I'm afraid that this disappointment will set her back. My heart about broke for her when he didn't show. I've been there before; it is not a good place to be. But hopefully, they'll find a way to work through this, because Delia and Tim are awfully darn cute together. I had wondered when they'd pick that storyline back up after he'd commented on how beautiful she was when they'd both attended that funeral earlier in the season.

Now then, about the prospect of losing Jim. I'm starting to think that maybe all of these ominous signs are just a way to keep us on edge concerning Jim and Melinda. I mean, think about it. Typically on TV and in movies, a standard plot device used to keep the audience interested is to find ways to keep couples apart or in turmoil. Conflict. We love conflict, that's a fact, and it's why there's so much of it in entertainment: it keeps us hooked. Well, since Jim and Melinda are indeed one of the cutest and most perfect couples on TV right now, we actually wouldn't like to see them flat-out driven apart, so what's the best method of conflict on a spooky show like this? Have ominous signs appear here and there. Make Melinda afraid that she'll lose Jim because of her gift. It's a great conflict device that is obviously keeping us on edge and interested, but without breaking them apart. Just a theory.

What did you all think of this week's ghost? I thought it was downright riveting. I never expected the show to take such an intriguing turn down a path of afterlife theories that aren't often explored on TV shows. And wow, making it a part of Melinda and Jim's baby? I was sitting there thinking to myself, "Oh my goodness, she's talking to the soul of her unborn child right now?" It just blew my mind. But that's not a bad thing... I just feel a little rattled... like I need to go watch it again and digest it some more. I almost feel like, "What just happened here?" How about you all, ghosties?

Posted by Jeannine Rochon-Burkart 01/15/07 3:24 AM

January 5, 2007: My Ghost Whisperer Is Back!

Ahhhh, yes. Red eyes and a tear-streaked face feels so good after meandering through a couple of consecutive "dry" Ghost Whisperer eps over the holidays. I can't help it. I like to cry during this show, because it's quite cathartic. Whenever I watch an episode that doesn't make me cry even a little, I feel rooked. But I'm a classic romantic. A certified sap. And I make no apologies for being a horror nerd that also enjoys a little tenderness in my shows here and there. With Ghost Whisperer, I get just enough dark and creepy with just enough tears shed *to keep me in touch with my inner sentimentalist.

*I draw the line with my music collection. Not a single Celine Dion or Air Supply CD in the bunch, I swear. Would the soundtrack to Pretty in Pink be considered a sappy CD to own?

A Ghost Whisperer's Best Friend

"OK, Bob, you lead."

Tsk, tsk, Miz Gordon. The Dog Whisperer could teach you a thing or two about "calm, assertive energy!" Well, you've never claimed to be a dog whisperer (at least, not to earth-bound canines), and you're really darn good at your job, so I'll give you the benefit of the doubt. And I wouldn't mind seeing Bob in every episode! My heart melts for golden retrievers.

Speaking of Being Good at Her Job...

I was thinking during this episode how even the coldest, most hostile people tend to instantly trust Melinda, and asking myself if this was even remotely realistic. I've concluded that Jennifer Love Hewitt is so well-cast for this role, it is believable to me, at least as believable as this show can get, knowing it is fiction. She's just got that easy-breezy demeanor and face that says, "You can talk to me about anything." I bet she's really fun to work with professionally, too.

Bonding with Delia and Ned

Oh wow, that scene between Delia and Ned started this episode's bawling for me. And without getting too detailed, I want to comment on how well-written this scene was. I've recently dealt with a difficult loss, and I'm still not quite recovered.... And everything, I mean everything, that Delia explained to Ned about the emotions of the grief process was so spot-on. It was almost as if she was imparting this much-needed wisdom to me, and I appreciated that scene so very much. And, as usual, I cannot say enough about Camryn Manheim's talent. I love any scene in Ghost Whisperer in which Delia truly gets a chance to contribute something important to the scene or to the characters around her.

Speaking of Great Supporting Characters

Professor Payne. Such a scene stealer, that Jay Mohr. Sometimes, the way he looks at Melinda makes me melt. His eyes and his face and his effortlessness as an actor are wonderful to watch. I enjoy him every chance we get to see him.

"You've actually managed to make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. Wanna feel?" Classic Payne. So adorable.

However, I hate it that he had to be the bearer of bad news... the news we've all been dreading:

The loss of a loved one?! Say it isn't so! Please, please, let this be misdirection. We love our Jim. I happen to know that many people will abandon this show if they lose their (and our) beloved Jim. NOW I am worried about Jim.

Strange Series Serendipity

This has happened twice now with Ghost Whisperer and my other TV-Show-Blog, Masters of Horror

• 4 weeks later...

Courtesy of: TV GUIDE, TV SHOW BLOGS

Ghost Whisperer

February 9, 2007: We've Got Spirits, Yes We Do!

Applause to Ghost Whisperer for a wicked-cool Grammy Awards tie-in with Mary J. Blige as a guest star. She did a great job acting, and didn't seem at all to be "big music star playing actor," which often happens when pop stars get cast in TV shows and movies. It was actually her performance this evening that made me cry when her character realized her little brother was in the light. I also thought it was clever that we wound up hearing one of her songs through the cheerleading competition, rather than through an obligatory forced concert at the end of the show. Very clever and smooth Grammy Awards cross-promotion for CBS.

Melinda was an adorable little freak in high school, wasn't she? She looked like a cute manga character, which I wouldn't exactly consider "nerdy," even by today's standards. But I s'pose to cheerleaders and the popular types, she would seem a bit different and be treated like a freak. Actually, her character in high school reminded me of the role that J. Love played on Party of Five. Do you all remember her from that show? She was a bit gawky and awkward then, but she still managed to get Bailey's attention in the end.

I was about to get a little bit peeved at the Ghost Whisperer writers and producers for creating negative Wiccan, pagan and goth stereotypes in this episode. I was thinking to myself that it was about as far off the mark as the movie The Craft, and I started to get a little irritated with it but tried to keep an open mind. But then as Jim read the Wiccan "golden rule" to Mel

SPOILER ALERT...HIGHLIGHT TO SEE

Courtesy of: SPOILERFIX

01/30 - Episode 2.17 - The Walk-In: Melinda is confused when she deals with the ghost of Jason Bennett, who died 10 years ago, right before his high-school graduation. Jason has inhabited the body of former classmate Bryan Curtis, who killed himself recently by walking into traffic. Jason is having to keep up the appearance that "his" body is still alive, so he uses duct tape, many rolls of deodorant and embalming makeup to hide the appearance of dead skin. Melinda must help them both come to grips with their past to help them with their future.

02/07 - Episode 2.18 - Delia's First Ghost: Ned and his friend Grant are playing with firecrackers and scaring a man named Milt when suddenly the circuit breaker wires pull free from the box, throwing sparks everywhere and the room starts to shake with a loud, angry pounding, scaring the boys. Ned spends time with Melinda, dealing with the scary ghost. Melinda also deals with a naked ghost who won't leave her alone, telling her that he needs his pants. When Melinda finds a diamond ring in the dead man's laundry, he tells her that he was planning to ask his girlfriend to marry him, when they had a fight over her "yippy" dog. He died before they had a chance to make up and get engaged. While Melinda is talking to him, Delia comes in. Melinda figures out it is time to explain her abilities to Delia, who laughs when she hears. Delia has had her first real date with Tim and is now getting ready to go out with another man, finally feeling ready to date again.

02/15 - Episode 2.19 - Children of Ghosts: Jim and Melinda become temporary foster parents for a little girl named Julie after her mother, Valerie, goes missing. Melinda takes Julie to piano lessons with a woman named Heather. Melinda and Jim research Julie and her mother and find out that Julie and her mother may not be who they claim to be. When Valerie's ghost appears to Melinda, she eventually tells Melinda that she had a brain aneurysm and died and her body is in the lake, which is why they haven't found her. She also tells Melinda that she stole Julie when she was a baby and when she found out she was sick and would most likely die, she decided she needed to return her to her real mother. When Julie disappears from her room at Melinda & Jim's house, they find her and Melinda tells her the truth about her mother. The next morning, Melinda and Julie visit her real mother to tell her the truth.

• 2 weeks later...

Ghost Whisperer

February 23, 2007: Bed, Bath and Voodoo

A heartfelt thank you for doing such a great job filling in for me last week. I had to play "catch up" all week, and prepare for Oscar weekend, so I just didn't have time to return. Once it was Friday, I thought... "well sheesh, by now, it's old news and... they all covered last week's episode so well... maaaan, they don't even need me!" Thank you also for wishing me well, because it definitely worked and I am feeling 100 percent again.

Now then, let's get into the new episode.

I really hope last week's promos didn't literally scare off too many of you, because this was one of my favorite episodes ever. At first, I was prepared to be annoyed that this was going to become a poor attempt to cash in on a popular horror franchise [zombies], or that it was about to become another "crime drama" mystery in an attempt to compete with Medium. Thankfully, this episode became one of the most creative and well written of the season, and I really had fun watching it.

Judging from last week's comments on the

• 2 weeks later...

02/23 - Episode 2.20 - The Collector: Melinda meets a man named Gabriel, who can also see and talk with ghosts. She and Jim have him over for dinner and they are both nervous and excited about meeting someone else with the same ability. Later, Melinda learns that he is not who she thought he was, that he convinces ghosts that they don't need to cross over. A ghost named Kate interacts with Professor Payne and helps Melinda escape when Gabriel tries to keep her with him. Source: SpoilerFix.com

03/07 - Episode 2.21: An English man named Graham Clarke visits a 9-year-old English boy named David who makes little cardboard people who are all the same woman, a Russian girl named Elana who has written one message, "All eyes are on her." over and over for years and an Italian boy named Stefano, who draws a woman's picture all the time and everywhere. The picture is revealed to be Melinda. Clarke asks Stefano why he is drawing it and he says "I do it for her." When Clarke asks who, Stefano tells him, "I call her Melinda Gordon." At the store, Delia and Tim give Ned a turntable. Delia is impressed when Tim explains about it to Ned, who enjoys the gift. Source: SpoilerFix.com

• 2 weeks later...

03/20 - Episode 2.22 - The Gathering (Season finale): Melinda goes to see the mayor of Grandview, obviously knowing him as she calls him by his first name and rolls his eyes when he tells her that they are in public, and tells him that he needs to cancel the memorial dedication they are holding (possibly for the plane crash victims?). He asks why and when she can't tell him, he tells her it's too big and too important to cancel and leaves. Melinda speaks with the ghost of a mailman while looking for a young girl named Kristen. Melinda and Professor Payne search for some children after the nanny says they left with a man named Graham and his friend. A mysterious man will try to get Melinda to rethink helping the good guys. Source: SpoilerFix.com

• 1 month later...

Ghost Whisperer

April 27, 2007: Fears for Tears

OK, I'm thinking of changing my nickname for us all from Ghosties to Scoobies, because we totally called it! The moment I saw Payne "walk through" Kate, I yelled, "Ha! We knew it!" Although we were pretty good at guessing she was probably a ghost, I don't think any of us saw the following series of events coming. At first, I was thrilled at the prospect of Kate joining Gabriel as Mel and Payne's nemises from beyond, but Rachel Shelley's bio on IMDb doesn't list any episodes beyond "The Collector." IMDb isn't always up to date, though, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that we may see her again during all of the havoc that is about to ensue in May.

Now then, about "The Collector." By the end of this episode, my jaw was literally on the floor. The show had more suspense than ever, and took some twists that I don't think any of us could have predicted, even with the weeks of foreshadowing we've been nibbling on since the season premiere. As Mel and Payne rattled off the various signs that had happened up until now, I still didn't really understand what was going on. But I'm sure all will be known (and then some) by the season finale... at least, I would hope so.

My question to you all is this: Do you like this new scarier and less sentimental direction?

I'm still so speechless and puzzled over what's going to be happening in the coming weeks of Ghost Whisperer, I just wanted to open this episode up for discussion straight away. Scoobies... your thoughts and predictions?

Posted by Jeannine Rochon-Burkart 04/29/07 6:20 PM

Couresy of: TV GUIDE, INTERVIEWS & FEATURES

Ghost Whisperer Finale: A Dark Force Follows Melinda

by Steve Pond

Jennifer Love Hewitt, Ghost Whisperer

It's a cold, drizzly night on the Universal Studios backlot, where the town square is playing host to all the staples that make up CBS' Ghost Whisperer (Fridays at 8 pm/ET). A grieving but skeptical loved one? Check, in the person of actor Julian Sands (24). A ghost with an important message? Yep, that'd be Vivian Wu, as Sands' wife. A sense of foreboding and impending evil? The gloomy L.A. night and fog machines have seen to that. Cleavage? Present and accounted for in the form of star Jennifer Love Hewitt. Her character, Melinda Gordon, has proven that communing with the spirits is best done by a young woman with a pure heart and low-cut clothes.

Midway through the filming of the two-part second-season finale, kicking off May 4, crew members huddle around portable heaters while Hewitt, cheerfully shivering in a thin white dress, runs through a scene with Sands and Wu. During a break, she hustles into the nearby "Village Java" coffeehouse set, dons a pink down jacket and sits in front of a heater. "It's supposed to be spring in Grandview," she says of the show's fictional setting, "but apparently L.A. didn't get the message."

Still, spring in Grandview isn't the cheeriest time. Throughout the season Melinda's been receiving clues that someone close to her is in danger and may die. And in tonight's scene she's just learned that Gabriel (Ignacio Serricchio; see related Q&A), a mystery man who also possesses those pesky extrasensory powers, has been working against her.

"The spirits and ghosts have become much more powerful," says creator John Gray. "And what's going to happen at the end of the season is the ultimate fruition of that notion."

And what exactly might that be? "I don't want to give away anything," Hewitt says hesitantly. "But you will finally understand why this darkness keeps following Melinda. We'll also find out that there are people who are sent to watch over her." She pulls her jacket tighter and adds, "I find it really comforting that as much darkness as there is, there are people out there who have her back."

• 2 weeks later...

Ghost Whisperer

May 4, 207: Death of a Loved One

First, let's share a collective sigh-o-relief, shall we? *Sigh* No death of a loved one... yet. I was so tense every time Jim left the house, and the moment I saw Delia's close encounter with "death by stereo," I started to get really upset. I thought, "She finally learns Mel's secret, then gets killed a couple weeks later?! Didn't they do that last year? Why are they doing it again?!" Luckily, they didn't. Everyone we love in Mel's circle is still standing, but... for how long? Although Payne didn't seem anywhere near death's door at any point in the episode, I was getting sad about him going on that sabbatical. I'm glad he decided to stay... May sweeps needs Payne.

It felt as though tonight's episode was like lining up dominoes

Wow, what a finale. I think Gabriel will turn out to be her brother, it would make sence, even if it is to easy to plot. The dark is in her, just like it's in Gabriel. Question is, how do the evil take over. Can't wait till September to find out.

• 3 weeks later...

I think Melinda's father has to be a demon or something dark like that. And I think her grandmother knew it, at least I would have to think so. Maybe they kept it from Melinda to protect her?

I love this show and look forward to it every Friday. They really hurt me though, when they killed off Aisha Tyler's character. Cameron Manheim is okay on the show, but to me she doesn't really make an impact on it, like her character can be dropped and it wouldn't affect the show IMO.

I agree ! I miss Aisha Tyler.I hated when they killed her off.And then the seasosn premier making us think she was still alive but in a coma was cruel.

The way the show ended this season has me excited to see how it all plays out.

They keep saying someone close to her will die.Hope it's not her hubby.

• 4 weeks later...

Ghost Whisperer (CBS) Updated on July 5

The show is currently on hiatus. The series was renewed for a 3rd season.

07/05 - Episode 3.01 - The Underneath [Airing Fall 2007]: Melinda meets a young woman named Jennifer who has come to sell items from her parents' home, then helps her connect with her father Ray, who was killed when Jennifer was 2 years old. Ray blames Melinda's mother for his wife's death shortly after his own. A young man named Justin takes pictures of the crowd when Melinda receives an award and when he notices something strange, he shows them to her. She takes the pictures to Professor Payne to get his opinion and Melinda brings up the possibility that the ghost in the picture is her father. Source: SpoilerFix.com

• 2 weeks later...

07/19 - Episode 3.02 - Don't Try This At Home: A group of female college students decides to try the old "Bloody Mary" in the mirror superstition. When a girl named Rachel dies after saying the phrase, she begins to haunt her friends, believing she is the real Bloody Mary. Source: SpoilerFix.com

• 3 weeks later...

08/01 - Episode 3.03 - Haunted Hero: Matt, a friend of Jim and Melinda's, is home after serving in the military overseas. He can't remember what happened that caused all of his men to die, leaving him alive. Matt's men show up, helping Melinda figure out what happened, causing Matt to remember. Source: SpoilerFix.com

• 2 weeks later...

08/15 - Episode 3.04 - No Safe Place: Melinda tries to help an attorney named Shane, who says he is being haunted by his dead stalker. After investigating and talking to Colleen, the dead woman, she realizes that Shane is actually the stalker and stalked Colleen until she died. When Melinda confronts him, Shane decides to kill himself so he can stalk Melinda whenever he wants. Source: SpoilerFix.com

• 3 weeks later...

Courtesy of; SPOILERFIX

08/25 - Episode 3.05 - Weight of What Was: Melinda helps the ghost of a young woman who died while imprisoned by the families of people who had been killed inside a church. The young woman had claimed to foresee it happening in a vision so the families accused her of being a witch and locked her up. She had a young baby when she was imprisoned and she is worried about her daughter. Melinda and Professor Payne search town death records but a group of ghosts try and prevent that from happening. Source: SpoilerFix.com

09/07 - Episode 3.06 - Double Exposure: Melinda and Professor Payne talk with Claudia, a college professor that had a secret relationship with a student named Kevin, who has died recently in a car accident. His friend Sophie committed suicide and Melinda must try and get her to move on. Source: SpoilerFix.com

• 4 weeks later...

Ghost Whisperer

Episode Recap: "The Underneath" (Season Premiere)

I'm not the official TV Guide blogger for Moonlight, but I just wanted to start off tonight's Ghost Whisperer post by saying how much I enjoyed watching both shows back-to-back. Ghost Whisperer + Moonlight = Freaky Friday on CBS, and I think they're a perfect supernatural fit.

Now then, on with the show!

Welcome to The Underneath?

At (last) season's end, I felt that Melinda's return from death would alter her connection to the afterlife, making it more malevolent than she's prepared to deal with. Now, at (this) season's beginning, my initial feelings concerning the crossroads on which Mel stands, is that Grandview is turning into a similar place to Buffy the Vampire Slayer's Hellmouth. Not quite as... Hellmouth-y, but the similarities between "the underneath" getting ready to burst at any time in Grandview, and Sunnydale's Hellmouth hurling all varieties of demons and vampires from underground can't be denied. The difference seems to be that Grandview may be a kinder, gentler wellspring of supernatural underground energy... or will it?

Although this episode started the season off in a much darker and more suspenseful place than we're accustomed to, we still experienced a sentimental crossing over in the end, and yes, I did cry. Along with the increase in thrills and chills this season, I think that Ghost Whisperer will manage to keep its feet in the light with heartwarming touches of redemption and closure between the living and the dead, which is good, because that's what makes the show different than a lot of other supernaturally-fueled TV series out there. Don't get me wrong, I definitely like dark. Dark is good... but I've also grown to love Ghost Whisperer's balance with dark and light, and I'm glad the show hasn't lost the light... at least, not yet.

On with the questions. Do you think that Gabriel will return? Yep, Gabriel's coming back. Do you think that the guy in the records department may be Mel's brother? (I still don't think Gabriel is her brother). What are your theories and questions on what's in store for the coming season?

Cast and Characters This Episode

An enthusiastic welcome to Jay Mohr as series regular Professor Payne! I speak for just about all of us when I say that it's great to finally see his name in the permanent cast credits. I could link to about (what?) 98.9% of the blog entries here in which we all comment about how much more we enjoy the show when graced with Mr. Mohr's presence. My favorite Payne quote of this episode: "Wow, you're even haunted in your x-rays... that's hardcore!" Anyone else want to add your favorite Payne moments of the evening?

I was surprised that David Hasselhoff didn't play Melinda's father tonight, because we heard his voice and saw his hair in the season finale. However, I really wasn't disappointed, because I adore Martin Donovan, and would enjoy seeing more of him during the season as Melinda continues to connect the dots to the mystery that has become her life. (Or is it her life that's become a mystery)? I think you know what I mean.

Another recognizable face is that cute redhead who seems to be getting a lot of TV work these days, Jayma Mays, aka Ugly Betty's Charlie, aka... uh... Charlie from Heroes (seriously!), and soon to be Elsita in Pushing Daisies.

Of course, I have to mention the brilliant Anne Archer as Mel's mother Beth, who... turns out, isn't a people person (dead or alive), the way her daughter is. After watching Beth fumble around with her gift, it's evident that Mel's gift transcends relating to ghosts... even though she was always a "freak," she's great with people, and along with her abilities to connect with the dead, connecting with the living is equally as important.

Finally, regarding characters and cast this season premiere, I felt that there wasn't enough of Jim and Delia, but when we did see them with Mel, their chemistry and interaction was as effortless and tangible as ever. Isn't it a relief to watch Mel relate to Delia without the big haunted secret?

Anyone want to comment on wardrobe and/or cleavage count? The only thing that made my eyes bug out a bit was that frilly nightgown... do real women wear those to bed? Otherwise, my boob-radar wasn't on red alert nearly as often as it has been in past episodes, nor was my "fashion-don't" meter. Jim's shoulders were looking goooood in that tank top, though.

Ghosties, it's good to be back.

Do you feel like watching more Ghost Whisperer before next Friday? Check out our Ghost Whisperer videos.

Posted by Jeannine Rochon-Burkart 09/29/07 12:54 AM