American Idol - Top 20

uvp

my honest opinion on David Archuleta whoring it needs to stop . no where in hell was he the best singer tonight. he was good but the original was better

my best of night Chikezie Eze

rest of best Danny Noriega David Hernandez

worst Jason Yeager Robbie Carrico

again archuleta whoring is ruing a pretty good idol so far

most talented group ever

The two Davids and Chikezie rocked tonight! The rest...well I don't remember their performances at all, that's how much better the other three performed! I always thought that David Hernandez was highly underrated and has a fantastic voice and Chikezie really stepped up tonight. Fantastic.

I don't know if I would consider it "whoring" by the judges but David Archuleta deserved every bit of the praise he got tonight because his performance was absolutely perfect imo!

Jason Yeager is a given to go home. Do they pick two guys and two girls again this week? If so, I would guess the second guy will probably be Robbie Carrico, Luke Menard or Daniel Noriega.

From this stage will come your next Superstar. This is 70's week. Tonight its the guys. This is American Idol!

After a quick introduction of the top 10 guys and some chitter patter, it's time to introduce the judges. Randy hopes the first week nerves are gone and the guys are in it to win it. Paula thinks they are growing into their own comfort level. Simon said the guys simply need to be better.

Starting out the night is Michael Johns, who is an avid tennis player. Singing Go Your Own Way, this performance was horrible. It sounded like he was singing outside his vocal range and was just off from beginning to end, which kind of just happened. Randy said it wasn't his best, started slow, nice tone. Paula said he was consistent and had the whole crowd working, charismatic, seasoned performer, already there. Simon said it was OK, his weakest performance of the competition, coasting along, very weak choice of song.

Jason Castro, who is terrible at doing interviews, was the second to perform. Playing his guitar and singing I Want To Be Your Everything, it was a sweet, soft song, so soft his voice sometimes seemed drowned by the background singers during the chorus. It was supposed to be sentimental, but it just came off weak. Randy said with the guitar it is cool as an act, but without it the vocals just weren't that great. Paula said it wasn't that bad, he's cute, it was a clever choice and musically interpreted well, but next week without the guitar, be more vulnerable as an artist. Simon thought the song was too horrible, schmaltzy, poor vocals, all out of sorts, and uncomfortable.

Luke Menard, part of an a touring a Capella group, sang next. Singing Killer Queen, he softened the rock edge which worked given the environment. The vocals were on target and the unbuttoned shirt and two dangling bangs brought the girls to their feet. Randy said it was a tough song, and this week was better than last week, more theatrical, just a couple of pitch problems. Paula said it was great vocally, the right song. Simon said it was a mistake because he is always going to be judged with the original performer, who had the charisma he lacked.

Fourth to perform was Robbie Carrico, who gets a rush from drag racing, sang Hot Blooded. He rocked out with an up tempo beat, strong vocals, good stage presence, maybe dragging a little during the verses, this would have been a good song to be all over the stage. Randy said rock may not really be his thing, his voice doesn't quite have the right quality and he was never quite wowed. Paula said said only you know who you are, but you sometimes lose your personality when you play it safe. Randy chimed in you have to have more attitude. Simon said you don't have to be defensive - the vocal was OK tonight.

Closing the first half of tonight's performances was Danny Noriega, played one show as member of a punk rock band as a high school freshman. Singing Far Away, this ballad was supposed to be sweet and romantic, but it was just weak. Even the chorus, which was an improvement, was enough to nearly put me to sleep. Randy said there were problems with the vocals, the vibrato needed to be sped up and he was thinking to much. Paula said he has amazing vocal skill but he needs to forget about them and just perform. Simon said this was better but not fantastic, he was trying to hard he was over concentrating but he stands out and looks terrific on camera.

Next up is David Hernandez, a gymnastics kid who went to the Grand Canyon Olympics, singing Papa Was A Rolling Stone. The best performance so far, the vocals worked well with the accompaniment and his stage presence was subtly sexy but effective. And the end was a powerful, if not shaky on one note, rousing climax. Randy said this is the David Hernandez they fell in love with, that's how to put it down, show the personality. Paula said his voice is so pure, it pierces the hart, every note perfect, some amazing, his personality came out and he didn't overdo the song. Simon said that was the best vocal of the night so far, when he is given criticism he treats it as a challenge and rises to the challenge.

Jason Yeager, who plays multiple instruments including piano, drums, guitar, followed singing Long Train Running. The vocals were near perfect with the right twang to the southern rock song, although he seemed strained on some of the long notes. He was having a great time on stage and closed with a rock hard finish. Randy said it wasn't really a singer's song and it was very pitchy and karaoke. Paula said it was fun to see this side of him, but it was a song without many notes that does not show his vocal range. Simon said the simple truth is last week was boring and this week was awkward and ordinary with a horrific ending, corny.

After the break, it was time for Chikezie, whose name came originally from the Nigerian dialect, Ebo. Singing I believe, it was an easy, stylish, jazzy performance which showed off his energy and vocal range, a big improvement over last week. Randy said he is back. Paula said it was very clever to pick a song that told a story. Simon said he looked better, sounded better, a million times better than last week.

Next up was David Cook, a huge word nerd who is addicted to crossword puzzles. Singing All Right Now and playing an electric guitar, he was rocking during the verses but the chorus, when he stopped playing, was like a completely different song. Randy said it was like a real rock show, the real rocker from the boys this year, believable. Paula said he got it, he got it, he got it, the song every kid who wanted to play guitar learned and who every girl who wanted to fall in love with a guitar player loved. Simon said it was solid, but he doesn't have a lot of charisma.

The night's finale brought David Archuleta to the stage, who met the first season's AI finalists in the hotel lobby when he was 9 and sang And I'm Telling You for them. Singing Imagine, it was just him, an acoustic guitar, and and a vocal performance beyond his years. There was no pretense, no theatrics, just another incredible performance that silenced the audience until the standing ovation at the end. Randy said dog, that's one the best vocals ever on this show, singing with maturity beyond his years, brilliant. Paula said he is ridiculous and she wants to squish him, squeeze his head off and dangle him from her rear view mirror, that was one of the most moving performances of one of the most beautiful songs ever written, he is destined for super stardom. Simon said it was very risky to take on a John Lennon song but it worked and right now he is the one to beat and there are 19 miserable contestants here tonight.

Tomorrow night, the top 10 girls sing. And they will all be compared to David Archuleta.

Fuskie

Whose top performances were by Archuleta, Hernandez, and Yeager...

Not loving anyone just yet...my top 3 guys right now are the 3 Davids.

I'd have to say David Cook imo had the standout performance of the evening. Something about him bugs me though...don't know what...but he can sing really well and I like his style of music the most.

David Archuleta...very good but imo a bit cheesy. I don't think he deserved the accolades given by the judges...especially Paula...she's just so over-the-top it makes me ill.

David Hernandez was 3rd best for me...he really improved a lot from last week.

Luke Menard has got to go...and I don't care who else with him....except Jason Castro...he has potential.

The three best performers were: David Hernandez, Chikeze and David Archuleta. I must admit that when Ryan said David was doing a John Lennon song, my first thought was please don't sing imagine and screw it up. Then he started singing and Wow...he actually made me cry. The only other time I have cried was when Fantasia sang Summertime. Before last night performance I thought he was a good singer but I didn't get all the praise he was getting. Last night I got it.

The three worst performers were Luke, Michael Johns and Jason Yeager. Luke, thanks for ruining my favorite Queen song. And I must say I was astounded that Randy and Paula liked it. Thank you Simon for hating it as much as I did and for exactly the same reason I did. Luke never sing Freddy again. Michael, so glad you got to sing Fleetwood Mac...never sing it again. And Jason while you were a millions times better than last week and even though Michael sucked more than you...I see a ticket home in your future cause you weren't good enough.

Millions of viewers are watching. Last night, the top 10 men sang for their supper. Tonight, the women take the stage for your entertainment and your votes. Tomorrow, four more will be going home. This is American Idol!

The guys put on an awesome show last night, but tonight it's all about the ladies. After a quick introduction, we go to the judges, Randy Jackson, Paula Abdul, and Smiling Simon Cowel. Randy says you have to know what you sing best, what works for you melodically. Paula said last night's show was pretty fantastic, the guys surprised them. Simon hopes his comments last night motivated the ladies tonight. It's 70's night again.

First up is Carley Smithson who works at an Irish bar, singing Crazy On You. The performance got off to an unexciting start but grew in power as she hit the chorus. The second verse was better, and the vocals were not horrible but the song just didn't click, and the final note seemed off pitch. Randy said she picked a rocker and the big vocals the beginning was a bit rough, sharp pitched, and the lower notes give you more problems. Paula said it takes a fine singer to sing those notes, and good to hear her back and healthy. Simon said it was better than the week before, but she is panting, out of breath, and she has still not connected with the right song, an incredible singer but you haven't found the one song to give you the absolute moment, the girl to beat.

Second to take the stage was Syesha Mercado, who as an actress has done commercials in Miami, singing Me and Mr. Jones. From the get go it was slow, seemed off key, and maybe a bit breathless. Although she showed some power at the end, it was just not right. Randy said this was not a great song choice; she should have picked a song she could belt out, she seemed uninterested in the performance. Paula said the softer notes are where you tend to go off, but your power is piercing. Simon thought it was indulgent, the song was not written for a girl and he was put off from the outset.

Next up was Brooke White, a beauty school dropout who considers doing hair an art form, singing You're So Vain. Playing an acoustic guitar, it was a simplified version that mirrored the original but with less emotional impact. Randy said it was a great song choice but she didn't really bring any different to it. Paula said Simon didn't like the way she was looking at him, but it totally suited her, familiar. Simon absolutely loved it, the perfect song for her, a rare occasion where the artist had genuinely chosen the song, it connected and was sung well.

After the break, it was Ramiele Malubay who Polynesian (Hula) danced as a child, singing Don't Leave Me This Way. The song started slowly but gathered steam around the chorus. If she could have left out the verses and just sung the chorus it would have been a great performance with a powerful finish. Randy said it was a little rough, just OK vocally, but not the best song choice. Paula said her vocals are truly amazing, it was just a song that she powered through, the same notes, not magic. Simon said he has heard the song so many times at ghastly weddings and this was one of those performances he will not remember so well.

Closing out the first half of the show was Christy Lee Cook, an outdoor tomboy, singing You're No Good. Tall, sultry with great stage presence, this was not an over the top performance nor was it in any hurry but the vocals and the attitude did the song justice. Randy said that was a 100% improvement over last week, a better song choice but without any breakout moments. Paula said it fit in the pocket. Simon said this week it was a huge improvement, but she defies labeling.

Leading off the second half of the show was Amanda Overmyer, who is actually a bookworm, reading biographies of rockers. Singing Carry On My Wayward Soon with a hairdo that reminded me of Medusa, this was not a good performance. This was a song that needed to be attacked hard and rocked out and she only gave it the soft sell. Randy said it was not the right song choice, too much melody for a bluesy girl, too many instrumental breaks, too pitchy. Paula said she has some moves, can really dance, but she needs to do what fits right and not worry about being too anything. Simon said it wasn't natural, it was contrived, was an indulgent song, it wasn't real.

Next to perform was Alaina Whitaker, who doesn't like the foods on her plate to touch each other, singing Hopelessly Devoted To You. Emoting her performance with soft purple lighting, this was pure country with a clear vocal and an excruciatingly slow pace that finally picked up half way through the song, even as her power vocals began to warble. Randy said it was not the right song for her, the verses were pitchy, the power vocals overshot. Paula said she did a good job for her age, and not as bad as Randy thought. Simon said it was as if her grandmother prepared her for the performance, it was all old fashioned, a bit pageanty, although he does think she is a dark horse in the competition.

The eighth performance of the night came from Alexandrea Lushington, who sang at Ground Zero a few months after 9/11, singing If You Leave Me Now. It was an earnest performance but the vocal did not completely mesh with the background, and the pitch seemed just a tad off, the finale more than a tad. And what was with the cargo shorts? Randy said it was so safe and boring, it did not showcase her mad vocal skills. Paula said it was her own arrangement, she stretched it and she was relevant. Simon said she is struggling, the song has never been covered for a reason; it is stuck in its time period and she was in and out of tune.

The next Idol, Kady Malloy, loves to sing opera. Singing Magic Man, she seemed to be overshadowed by the band and backup singers. She was going for mysterious, but the performance lacked the energy and edge I was expecting. Randy said you never found the pitch, the song never settled. Paula said the power sounded great but the low notes lost her. Simon said he is struggling with her, because each performance seems like an impersonation.

Closing out the show was Asia'h Epperson, a high school cheerleader, singing All By Myself. She started off singing way too low and then shifted into a falsetto, this was just not a good performance. Vocals were all over the place, the power vocal just irritating, it was really bad karaoke. Randy said it was a very difficult, highest degree and she did a really good job. Paula said Ta Da, she did it, problems in the low notes but the ending brought it home. Simon said it was one of the diva songs and you have to be one heck of a singer to pull it off, but she isn't; she almost got away with it but the song showed her up.

Thursday night, two more guys and two more gals will be voted off.

Fuskie

Whose top performances were only from Brooke White and Kristy Lee Cook...

my best girls Brooke White Alexandr

I agree with you on Amanda and Kady, uvp. Amanda succeeded in obliterating my absolute favorite song from the 70's, Carry on My Wayward Son by the group Kansas. Totally out of her element with that song choice...and THAT HAIR! All I can say is- wow. I believe she's just about proved herself to be a one-trick pony (named Janis Joplin ;) ). I almost want to see her make it another week just to give her one more chance, but then again- naw, I don't think so.

This week's performances by the girls, all-in-all, were very bland and forgettable. Brooke was pretty much the only stand out for me- even though I thought it was kind of weird that she sang it so upbeat with a huge smile on her face the whole time. The song is meant to be a brutal, razor-tongued slam against a man (I think Carly wrote it about Mick Jagger, if memory serves me correct)and Carly sang it with ferocity in the original version. I was sure that Simon Cowell would pounce on that fact but he didn't. Brooke does have a wonderfully, original voice though and I really like her.

As far as who is going home- it's anyone's guess as most were pretty boring.

If I could choose who to send home it would be Amanda and Kady- or possibly Kristy Lee Cook. She really bugs me for some reason. I'm really tired of hearing and seeing video of her riding, boxing, hunting, etc., etc. And her performances seem too plastic to me. I dunno- maybe it's just the fact that there are too many long-haired cute blondes on the show and one of them has to go! ^_^

My two cents...there was no best last but least sucky goes to Kristy and Brooke. My problem with Brooke is you can't sing "You're so Vain" with a smile on your face. It is not a happy song. My problem with Kristy is I really feel that she is there because she is the "looker" this season. She is not a bad singer but I keep getting that vibe from her.

As to the worst...Amanda and Kady hands down. I am really disappointed in Amanda as she was one of my favorites during the auditions but last nights performance just ruined that for me and if she leaves tonight I won't miss her. Kady, you can imitate Brittany, Cher and Celine, but you sure can't imitate Ann Wilson. Thanks for stomping on my favorite Heart song.

And to the producers of American Idol....Please take all Heart, Queen and Fleetwood Mac songs off your song lists and never let these kids sing them again.

And to the producers of American Idol....Please take all Heart, Queen and Fleetwood Mac songs off your song lists and never let these kids sing them again.

LOL, I second that and add Kansas to that list.

Carly is still my favorite female, but the rest of the pack is falling far, far behind.

Each week I change my favorite male. So far I've gone from Michael Johns to Jason Castro to . . . . . . . . . . DAVID HERNANDEZ. Wow, he was fantastic.

I still cannot stand the "Aww Shucks" personality of David Archuletta. I know he's the judges darling but I dislike him intensly.

pure bs with two girls kicked

i found new sanjaya and her name is amanda

by far worst singer

The competition is fierce, the eliminations inevitable, the competition real. Your results are coming up. This is American Idol!

Thursday night means the end of the line for four American Idol contestants, decided by 31 million votes. After a quick introduction of the judges, Randy explains that the purpose of the themes is to see if the Idols can work with songs from yesteryear. Paula acknowledges they are responsible for putting these people before an audience. Simon admits he has been sending out a secret code.

The results will come soon, plus a very important Idol announcement, but first the top twenty sing a group medley from the 70's. First out were the guys who sounded horrible. Then the women came out and they didn't sound much better. Have I mentioned before how much I hate the group songs? The only good part is we find out which of the guys have no sense of rhythm as they dance in place while the women sing. Or better yet, they are watching each other to gauge their mark as they desperately try to remember the choreography as well as the lyrics. The best thing about the group song is when it ends, hopefully for each Idol at the same time.

After the break, it was time to get to the results, starting with the guys. But first, a look back at Tuesday night's performances.

It's the second time around eliminations for the guys, and no easier. Ten talented guys, 2 have to leave, who will be first. The back row is asked to stand up. Jason Y, Danny, Chikezie, Jason C, and Michael. Michael, take a seat, you are safe. Chikezie, you are safe, take a seat. Jason C, I will have to chat with you more next week, you are safe. Jason Yeager and Danny Noriega. one of you is leaving tonight, the other is safe.

Jason, it's the end of the journey for you tonight. Danny you are safe.

Jason said he never got the hang of song choice. Simon said he is not a bad singer but he just doesn't stand out. Jason reprises his farewell song, Long Train Running.

After the break, we take a look at the front row. One of them is going home, next on American Idol.

We've lost Jason Yeager and have three more to go. But first we take a look at the ladies' performances last night.

Two girls are out and the results are in. Back row, please stand up. Christy, Amanda, Alexandrea, Brooke and Asia'h. One of them will be leaving us tonight. It will not be Christy. Asia'h, you are safe. Brooke, you are safe, have a seat. Amanda and Alexandrea. one of you is safe, the other is going home.

After the nationwide vote, Alexandrea, it is the end of the road for you tonight. Amanda, you are safe.

Randy said it was the wrong song choice. Paula said this is just the beginning. Alexandrea reprises her farewell song, If You Leave Me Now.

David Archuleta gives her a big farewell hug.

Another lady has to leave. We have more coming up on American Idol.

Alexandrea Lushington and Jason Yeager are out and the ladies are back under the microscope. Let's see who is going home next. Front row, please stand up. Carley, Alaina, Syesha, Ramiele and Kady. One of you will be heading home. Carley can take a seat, you'll be back next week. Ramiele, you are safe, take a seat. Syesha, you are also safe. Kady and Alaina, please join me center stage. One of you got the least number of votes and is out, and the other was in the bottom three but is safe.

After the nationwide vote, Kady, you are safe. That means Alaina is leaving us tonight on American Idol.

Alaina cries, this is embarrassing, I can sing. She is hugged by Kady as Ryan lists all her accomplishments in affirmation. She gathers herself as Ryan turns to the judges. Paula says she is a gifted, bright young talent and it's hard to hear this is just the beginning, but you have an amazing career ahead and this is the biggest gift you could receive being on the show. Ryan says this is not embarrassing at all.

Ryan gives her a choice to sing or not but Alaina says it will sound horrible. The remaining eight ladies come to her side in support as she performs her farewell song, Hopelessly Devoted To You. As she gets her stage legs back under her, the other girls step back and give her center stage and the audience shows their appreciation, Danny Noriega crying among the guys.

Another contestant has to leave from the guys, and we have some very important Idol news. After the break.

One more guy has to go but first some Idol news. On March 11th we move to the next stage with a whole new set, new graphics and a new exit song recorded especially by Ruben Studdard. For the first time in six years, Sony has released the Lennon/McCarthy songbook for the Idols to sing for the very first time. And on April 9th, the Emmy winning Idol Gives back returns with a new all star lineup, with proceeds again going towards starving and underprivileged children in Africa.

Now one of the guys in the front row will be leaving us. You made the decision. Find out who it is after the break.

Idol Gives Back will be bigger and better than last year, with Brad Pitt, Myley Cyrus, Reese Witherspoon, Mariah Carey, Snoop Dog, Chris Daughtry and Carrie Underwood.

Time to get back to the guys. Front row, please stand up. Luke, David H, Robbie, David C, and David A. Luke, Robbie, center stage. Everyone else can sit down, you are safe.

Luke and Robbie, the journey ends for one of you tonight. The person going home tonight after the nationwide vote is...

This is the end of the line for Robbie. Luke you are safe.

Robbie thinks it was a bad song choice and he could have performed better. Simon said it is authenticity, and it never felt real.

The other three finalists voted off join Robbie on the stage as they watch their collective American Idol journeys on the jumbo screen before Robbie reprises his farewell performance of Hot Blooded.

Fuskie

Who does not think Jason Yeager deserved to go this week...

I totally agree, Ceci. She was way better than several of the girls. But I guess that's the way the cards fell. Honestly, this season I wish they'd just have one surprise massive "boot" episode and whittle it down to the top six- just like that. Most people can pretty much predict who they'll be anyway so let's just get on with it and put these people out of their misery...and ours.

they need drop top 12 format all together and go back to ten

Can anyone explain how neither Kady or Amanda went home? They both sucked worse than Sanjaya on his worst night. WTF.

Also, Thanks Sony/EMI for releasing the Lennon/McCartney songbook. Now the idols can ruin my favorite songs from my favorite group. Yippee.

Next week is 80's week. I am betting right now that at least one girl sings Whitney.

because idol need a sanyaja this year

i think they purposely put ahead bad singer for this reason

amanda is worst singer to ever make it that far

she cant even stay in tune when they sing as a group

My understanding is that Vote For The Worst is supporting both Noriega and Overmeyer.

Fuskie

Who thinks the wonderful thing about music and performance is that everyone has a different opinion as to what is good and what isn't...

I wasn't disappointed with any of the 4 castoffs this week. None of them have ever impressed me. And as for Robbie Carrico, I follow my own cardinal rule and never vote for any "rocker" who wears a chain belt. That is the reason Chris Daughtry never got a single vote from me.

Archived