Fun Facts and Postulations

Guest ranster627

Guest ranster627

LOST FOR DUMMIES

Do the constant literary and philosophical references on Lost leave you running for your old 101 textbooks? We

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest ranster627
Once again ranster, thank you!! I definetly need the lost for dummies version, most days anyway :rofl

I would be the first in line to buy the book! I find LOST can tax this little brain of mine!

I remember being into another show (Twin Peaks) where I actually bought the Laura Palmer diaries to get better insight ...

Ranster- Thank you so much for sharing the literary and philosophical references...I found it quite enlightening!

In fact, you got me thinking- which is a rarity these days- I read somewhere (T.V. guide maybe?) that all the characters names were intended to have symbolic and/or historical meaning. You mentioned some of them, and I also remember that some names were taken from American history such as

(Daniel) Boone

(Tom) Sawyer

and Walt...which I first thought must be for Walt Whitman but, after popping a few brain cells, I'm wondering if it was for Walt Disney due to the boy Walt's imagination. Any thoughts?

Has anyone thought, or have any clue as to the meaning or the person in history behind the names Kate, Rose, Charlie (always makes me think of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory!), Claire, Hurley or Michael?

And......I wonder if there will be some symbolism in the name Claire gives her baby??

Ahh, I am so addicted to LOST...

Guest XandraSkye
And what about the fact that "Lost" has been on the cover of TV Guide like 5 times already this season? That has to be some sort of record.

Guest ranster627

Kayo,

I love love love the Walt reasoning!

If Claire's baby lives (just a thought), I too wonder about the name and gender!

It's weird, but I keep thinking there was a famous Charles (infamous?) that would fit in with this theme ...

What was Hurley's first name again?

Now you have me thinking ... (get out the hose, there's smoke coming out of these ears) ....

Does anyone have a full list of the characters first and last names? :idea:

Famous Charles....hmmm.... Charles Lindbergh? That might connect with the show being centered around an airplane crash. Wish I knew Charlie's last name...

Hugo...oh that's right! Victor Hugo maybe? Les Miserables- "The Miserable"...that would describe him with everything going wrong for him after he won the lottery...and Les Miserables has the theme of redemption in it...THIS IS FUN :D

Yes, if anyone knows the full names of all the main characters, please share it!

...I think it's safe to say that Claire won't name the baby Ethan anyways!

kayo

Naveen Andrews .... Sayid ?????

Emilie de Ravin .... Claire Littleton

Matthew Fox .... Jack Shepard

Jorge Garcia .... Hugo "Hurley" Reyes

Maggie Grace .... Shannon Rutherford

Josh Holloway .... James Sawyer

Malcolm David Kelley .... Walter 'Walt' Lloyd

Daniel Dae Kim .... Jin Kwon

Yoon-jin Kim .... Sun Kwon (as Yunjin Kim)

Evangeline Lilly .... Kate Ryan

Dominic Monaghan .... Charlie Pace

Terry O'Quinn .... John Locke

Harold Perrineau Jr. .... Michael Dawson (as Harold Perrineau)

Ian Somerhalder .... Boone Carlisle

And....Madison .... Vincent doggie

How about some trivia??? :D

Trivia for "Lost"

source - imdb

• Jorge Garcia missed his sister's wedding to shoot this show in Hawaii.
  • The first season depicts the first 40 days on the island.
  • The first episode debuted on ABC with 18.65 million viewers. The second episode attracted 16.33 million viewers.
  • Yoon-jin Kim originally read for the character of Kate. The producers felt she was not what they were looking for but decided to create a new character for her along with her character's spouse.
  • During Charlie's snorting scenes, Dominic Monaghan is actually snorting brown sugar.
  • Charlie's shoulder tattoo reads "Living is easy with eyes closed". This is a lyric from the song "Strawberry Fields" by The Beatles.
  • The rocks used in the waterfall cave set are made of rubber so that the sound of the actors, and crew members walking about are not picked up on camera.
  • When the idea was to have Jack killed off in the pilot, the creators discussed casting Michael Keaton as Jack.
  • The part of Charlie was originally written for someone much older, but when Dominic Monaghan auditioned, the writers and producers loved him so much that they set about re-writing the part to Dominic's strengths.
  • The book Sawyer reads is "Watership Down" by Richard Adams. It tells the tale of a group of lost rabbits searching for a new home.
  • Plane wreckage scenes were filmed at Mokuleia Beach.
  • Jungle scenes depicting open, grassy pasture areas at the foot of jagged cliffs were filmed in Kaaawa Valley (first season).
  • Mokuleia Beach is near Oahu's northwest tip (Kaena Point). Kaaawa Valley is over 30 miles away on the island's eastern coast.
  • Kaaawa Valley is one of the few valleys on Oahu which are entirely privately owned. Many productions were filmed there, including Jurassic Park (1993)'s memorable hiding-behind-the-log chase scene.
  • Jorge Garcia was the first actor to be cast as one of the survivors.
  • The sound stage where the cave scenes are filmed is at the old Xerox building where many people were murdered several years ago by a disgruntled employee.
  • John Locke is named after English philosopher John Locke, who theorized that before modern society, people lived in the wild in a state of equality and happiness. Likewise, Danielle Rousseau is named for Jean Jacques Rousseau, a French philosopher who wrote that society is corrupt, and that when removed from society, man can become truly noble.
  • Vincent, the dog, is actually played by a female dog, whose name is Madison.
  • In "Whatever the Case May Be" (Episode #1.12), Shannon describes having been in France and seeing a children's animated movie about "computer fish" that ends with the song "La Mer" (known as "Beyond the Sea" in English). Although Shannon doesn't know the name of the movie, it is clearly Finding Nemo (2003), although the French dub of Finding Nemo, like the original American movie, ended with Robbie Williams's English cover of "Beyond the Sea" instead of the French source. This show and Finding Nemo are both products of the same parent company, Disney.
  • The cast was not allowed to see a certain set. They had to cover their eyes until cameras rolled. They were walked down the path, cameras now on, and their reaction to seeing the cockpit leaning against the trees was real. This one-take is what was used in the pilot episode.
  • In the episode "The Homecoming" (2/9/05) Charlie's date Lucy mentions that her dad is out of town looking to buy a paper company in Slough. This is a reference to the British show "The Office" (2001) which took place at a paper company in Slough.
  • The symbol that Claire wears around her neck is the Japanese kanji for "love".

Guest ranster627
This whole show is utterly fascinating -- what I like about it is the concept of a puzzle that the viewers have to solve with minute clues being given out. 

Thanks Ranster for the theorital info.  I had looked at a couple of them -- but your information was really helpful!

Thanks Jem too -- having the info in concise points is also helpful. 

Me?  I'm back to those numbers playing with another theory.

I will visit the Numbers thread, but no more attempts for me, we saw what happened whence last I tried :roll: ... I will stay on the imagination and philosophical side!

Guest Anonymous

The show reminds me of a game I've played -- the name escapes me -- but it was along the same idea -- a series of clues that you had to figure out.

...Oh, and I've got to get me a pair of those funky glasses!!

It's been many, many years since I read it... It is a children's fantasy book, and I believe it has to do with a sister and brother who go back in time solve a mystery having to do with their father...I'm probably way off since it's been so long! Anyone have anything better than my pitiful attempt?

kayo

Guest XandraSkye

I didn't know where to post this so I'm posted it here.

Quick question, J.J. Abrams created "Lost" and he also created "Alias" and "Felicity", are any of you "Lost" fans also fans of those shows? I've been watching "Alias" since the beginning and I just starting watching "Felicity" on DVD. I'm just curious. I know that some people are watching "Lost" because it just sounded like a cool show, and it is. But I'm wondering if anyone decided they wanted to see it because J.J. Abrams did create it, like me. That's why I started watching "Lost", because I was already a huge fan of "Alias" and I liked the way the man thought.

Same thing with Joss Whedon, being a Buffy/Angel fan (although late), I would now check out anything he does in the future.

Guest ranster627

I am a huge Buffy / Angel Fan too ... tried to get into Alias and just never could ...

I picked up the show as it was pre-billed on tons of Sci-Fi sites ...

Lost's killer twist

by Kevin Williamson

Calgary Sun

Gilligan wouldn't have lasted a month on this island. The Skipper? A juicy late-night snack for that jungle critter.

The Professor? A rifle-toting hermit, obsessing over his latest bamboo invention. And Mary Ann? Well, it's best not to imagine what would've happened to her. Given this, it comes as no surprise that Lost is killing off one of its lead castaways in the coming weeks, prior to its 90-minute May season finale.

The drama

I agree, MICHAEL would be missed the least!

BUT wowwwwwwwwww --- forgot all about that tidbit under Shannon!!!!

Thanks Jem! :D

Me too! Now I'll have to go back over my tapes and find that episode....

And the comments about Sayid are what I've been thinking as well- he is a much loved character, it would be a real tear-jerker and a BIG SHOCK if he were to be killed. The title of his next episode, "For the Greater Good", is unnerving me a bit as well...

kayo

Guest ranster627

I also read on another site that it was an "ultimate betrayal", and their speculations were amazing:

Son betraying father? --- Michael dies

Sister betraying brother? --- Boone dies

Wife betraying husband?, Lover betraying lover? and so on ...

ULTIMATE to me would be son betraying father!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest XandraSkye
COOL! Those will definitely come in handy when we re-watch the season on DVD. I have found in shows or movies that don't give you subtitles when someone is speaking another language, even if you put on the subtitles on a DVD it will just say (speaking <insert other language here>) instead of what they are actually saying.

• 2 weeks later...