American Idol

Dade

Courtesy of: REALITY TV MAGAZINE

American Idol Top 24 Semifinalists Details Revealed

Writing by Joe on Wednesday, 13 February, 2008 at 10:28 pm

american-idol-7-top-24.jpg

Despite the controversial cut of Josiah Leming, the American Idol judges appear to have selected a very talented group for the seventh season of American Idol 7. It will take a couple of performance rounds before any accurate determination can be made as to if season seven is the most talented top 24 group ever, but things are looking good so far.

The American Idol 7 top 24 range in age from sixteen years old to twenty-nine years old. Alaina Whitaker is the youngest, while Michael Johns and Luke Menard are the oldest.

The names of all 24 semifinalists, their ages, their hometowns, and their official Fox bios are listed below.

David Archuleta (17)

i was looking for this thread

top guys tonight

best Danny Noriega and David Archuleta, Jason Castro imho its david show to lose

Robbie Carrico i felt he was overrated

worst Luke Menard, Garrett Haley , Chikezie Eze eze a lock to go this week his interrupting each judges as they gave their crtique seal his fate plus the suit was ugly

I watched the first hour, then flipped back and forth between this and BB for the second hour. From what I saw Zzzzzzzzz but maybe it was the style of music too? Still, I can't help wondering how Josiah would have added his spin on things and at least make it interesting. I'm still waiting for the judges to realize they've made a huge mistake and call him back!

My favorites tonight were David Archuleta (unpretentious and just plain good!), Jason Castro (unique and refreshing) and David Hernandez (I actually think he has an excellent voice).

My least favorites tonight were Danny Noriega (Simon was right on this one, imo...he performed a dreadful, super fast rendition of a signature Elvis Presley hit), Luke Menard (and I really had hopes for him because he is just so dang cute), and Jason Yeager (It was just an extremely bad song choice for him, and once again Simon was right- he is making himself sound too old. He does have a good voice though. If he makes it through this round maybe he can change it up a bit and go farther.)

I really liked Michael Johns in the auditions but there is something too...I don't know...glossy about him. Like he is being prepped to win...we'll see...

Due to conflicts with Big Brother 9 on Tuesday and Wednesday nights, I will be watching AI on DVR delay. But never fear, I will still bombard you with my personal observations and opinions this season. It is time for the Top Twelve Men to sing. It is time for American Idol.

We kick off the live performances with David Hernandez, 24, raised by a single mom in low income housing. Singing In The Midnight Hour, it was a decent choice, showing his tone, stage presence, and range. He has a lot of room to grow, but it was not a misstep out of the box. Randy said he liked the gospel vibe, although it fell apart a little in the end. Paula said he has brilliant vocals to rely on. Simon said it was better than he expected, terrific beginning but he lost the notes in the end, needs to loosen up a bit.

Next up was Chikezie, 22, a college student, singing More Today Than Yesterday. Taking an up tempo song and slowing it down was not the best choice. His vocals were flat, and the emotional pull the song was meant to elicit was lost. Randy said it was pretty good but he's an old fashioned singer and he needed to make it fresher. Paula said he looks great (has lost weight) and he's a throwback to great R&B. Simon absolutely hated the whole performance, from the suit (orange), the wink was hideous, the woo was hideous, it was corny and cheesy, 40 years old.

Third to perform was rocker David Cook, 25, singing Happy Together, he seemed confused as to whether this was an up tempo or down tempo song. He has little stage presence and his voice was flat and the accent just weird. Randy said it was a little weird when it started but he rocked it out, he can do anything. Paula said it was worthy of great praise, he made something original. Simon thought it was good, although shouted a bit in the middle; the song had never been sung like that before and he made it almost believable.

Fourth on the stage was Jason Yeager, the baby faced 28 year old father and singing server from Grand Prairie, Texas. Sitting on the stage and singing Moon River, he had the soft sell working hard. He didn't push the performance, but let it roll along with big smiles and controlled vocals, the effect being a bit plastic. Randy thought he did a good job on a tough song, a couple of pitch problems, and loss of concentration. Paula did her first ballet recital to that song. Simon said he seemed older singing that song, and it was very cruise ship style, middle of the road, like a dependable old dog, a sheep dog, reliable but not very exciting.

Next up was Robbie Carrico, 26, who has been in a boy/girl band since age 16. Singing One, he has a pure voice, is clearly comfortable on stage, but there was just something a bit off about the tone of his voice. Could be my imagination, or maybe I was distracted by the hippie look. Randy said a nice version, he was moved. Paula said it was the perfect song and he is authentic; the vocals were not over the top but right in the pocket. Simon said it was the only performance tonight that made sense, the only current performance, but not quite sure if he is a pop or rock singer.

David Archuletta, 17, from Utah has an innocent aura to his performances. Singing Shop Around, he became the immediate front runner for the tweener vote, with a soft, pure, still kid vocal, a natural on stage presence, a veteran's awareness of camera position. The only negative I could see was he seemed to be running out of breath before bringing the song to a standing ovation conclusion. Randy said it was brilliant, a born gift. Paula said it was brave, bold, a whole new side that makes her forget his age. Simon said when you got it, you got it, and by a comfortable mile the best performance of the night so far.

Danny Noriega, 18 and unemployed, had a tough act to follow. Singing Schoolhouse Rock, He had the moves, the vocals and the energy to give Archuletta a run for his money. He kind of reminded me of a junior Blues Brother. Randy loved that he has a good time, an interesting song choice with ok vocals, kind of hot. Paula said it was very warm, almost scalding, amazing vocals with lots of color. Simon thought it was verging on grotesque, hideous, destroying an Elvis Pressly song.

The eighth performer was Luke Menard, the 29 year old carpet cleaner. Singing Everybody's Talking At Me with an upper octave vocal that both hit and miss pitch, the falsetto ending, it was a sedate performance that did not excite. Randy said it was pitchy all the way through, consistently sharp. Paula agreed that this was not the best song from him, didn't display his tenderness. Simon said it was forgettable.

Taking the stage next was Colton Berry, 18 year old student from Virginia, is just enjoying the ride. Singing Suspicious Minds, it was a solid performance with good vocals, great camera sense and novice stage presence. The song itself seemed a little safe but it introduced him to a national audience. Randy said he did a pretty good job, starting a little rough but ending strong. Paula said it was a different side of him, not his best but an eager and fun attempt. Simon called it OK, not quite as bad as the other Elvis song, but not really a recording artist performance.

Garrett Haley, the 17 year old student from Ohio was the tenth performer of the night. Singing Breaking Up Is Hard To Do, his pure boy band vocal from auditions seemed to suffer from adolescent work in progress as was the peach fuzz on his lips. It wasn't bad but it wasn't as good as his peers. Randy said he didn't really do anything with it, didn't make it his own. Paula said it is ok to split up the song, change it up a bit, not stay at a slow tempo throughout the song. Simon said it was boring, a bit whiny, he looked terrified, and he had been shut up in his bedroom for a month, haunted.

The next man to take the stage was Jason Castro, the 20 year old drummer from Texas. Singing Day Dream with an acoustic guitar, this performance was near perfect, although he seemed to a little power in the middle but then he picked it back up and had the whole audience whistling along. Randy liked the guitar vibe, some interesting vocals and high notes that got away. Paula said he blew her away, a perfect song for him, effortless. Simon thought it was one of the top 2 performances of the night because he just has it, made it sound current.

The final performance of the night came from Michael Johns, the 29 year old native Australian, is looking to control his destiny. Singing Light My Fire, he gave a strong performance although he lacked the chops of Jim Morrison. Randy called him a true rock performer, it was hot. Paula said he set everyone on fire. Simon said he was the most consistent contestant, although he was trying too hard this time, but he has the natural charisma of a lead singer.

Fuskie

Whose top four performances were David A, Jason C, Danny N, and Colton B ...

Did anyone else notice that there were only 11 girls sitting on the side lines and Carly was NOT one of them??? I bet we see a replacement on tomorrow night's show??? Maybe.

There was only one performance last night where I had the cringe factor kick in. Chikizie. He was completely awful. Jason Castro was the surprise of the night for me. He has the potential to overcome my early favorite, Michael Johns. David Archuletta is the Melinda Doolittle of this season . . . aww shucks, you liked me. I can't stand him.

I just loved that David Archuleta. Not only do I think his voice is superior, expecially for his age, but I just want to tuck him in my pocket and take him home.

And I certainly look forward to hearing Michael Johns again.

As to the rest, the first two out will be easy. So might the next two, but I'll reserve my call on that until next week.

If she is replaced it's because of the "scandal" surrounding her. (She is already a recording artist with MCA under her maiden name, Carly Hennessey. They spent something like 20 million in promoting her (video's on MTV, etc.) and she only sold 400 + copies. :o )

Courtesy of: REALITY TV MAGAZINE

American Idol Missing: Carly Smithson Not Among Top Twelve Girls

Writing by Joe on Tuesday, 19 February, 2008 at 9:41 pm

ai7-only-eleven-girls.jpg

The previous recording experience of Carly Smithson has been the most controversial story so far of American Idol 7. Even though American Idol producer Nigel Lythgoe has gone on record saying that having a previous record deal is not against the rules of the competition, the fact that Carly had a record put out by a major label has become a huge media story.

Now, American Idol fans are buzzing about Carly Smithson for a different reason. During the intro to the American Idol top twelve boys

Last night, the men had their chance to say hello to America. Now it's the ladies' turn. It's time for the top twelve women to take the stage for the first time. It's time for American Idol!

Leading off was Christie Lee Cook, the 24 year old horse trainer from Oregon who sold her horse to audition for American Idol. Singing Rescue Me, her thin frame and long legs worked with with her vocals to make a descent first impression on stage. Randy said it was not her best performance, some pitch problems all the way through. Paula said being first and being sick is difficult, but don't ever that get in the way from the performance you emote. Simon said the song didn't suite her because she could not belt it out, the performance was robotic, nothing really to grab hold of.

Next up was Joanne Borgella, the 25yr old plus size model from New Jersey. Singing I Say A Little Prayer, the performance started a little slow but gathered energy during the chorus. The performance was OK but nothing stand out. Randy said the first part was a little weird but she got it together by the end. Paula said she was missing the strong sense of confidence they had seen before. Simon didn't like it at all, saying you have to come out and nail it and this was just cabaret and average.

Next up was 16 year old Elaina Whitaker from Tulsa, singing I Love You More Today Than Yesterday. She started off a little slow but let the pipes loose when she it the chorus. A little pitchy when she slows down, but she had an animated performance. Randy said it's the year of the young ones, a little rough at the start, but sung with conviction and confidence. Paula said she nailed it, had the best ending on the song. Simon said she is very good, no nerves, making a horrible song sound good.

Batting fourth was Amanda Overmeyer, the 23 year old rock'n'rolling nurse, singing Please Don't Go, she launched a volley that says she is not your average female pop singer. She has the stage presence and unique vocal style that will endear a following. Randy said he loved the scat and the trousers. Paula said she is authentic, not a one trick pony. Simon said he really likes her, she's genuinely authentic.

Next up was 25 year old Amy Davis, singing Where The Boys Are, she took a risk with a slow song that could showcase range but also expose a little pitchiness. Randy said it was not great; when you scoop up to the note you have to hit the pitch dead on. Paula said the camera loves her but the nerves got to her, not the most engaging song to sing. Simon said she looked great but did not sound great, incredibly cabaret and you don't have the country twang needed to make that song work.

24 year old nanny Brooke White took the stage, singing Happy Together. It was a simple and safe performance. I was hoping since she started so soft she would explode in the chorus but she seemed just march through the performance. Randy said it started rough but she got her confidence by the end. Paula said she has her own thing, a unique voice. Simon said she chose the right song - it was very you, sung well, but not his cup of tea.

Starting the second half of the show up was 17 year old Alexandrea Lushington from Georgia. Singing Spinning Wheel, she used the stairs to launch a powerful, unique and energetic performance, a natural on stage. Randy said she blew the doors off that, doping on the jazz fusion, it was hot. Paula said she took control of the performance from the entrance to the outfit and had more confidence than anyone so far tonight. Simon didn't get it, the vocals weren't great, like an awful musical.

Next up was Kady Malloy, the 18 year old recording studio assistant. Singing Groovy Kind Of Love, she started off with a quiet, sedate performance that drew you in and kept you enthralled, with facial close ups that showed her emoting the song. Randy said it was OK, but restrained and controlled, she kind of got lost in the song. Paula her personality was missing, the fun and life in the performance. Simon called it Night of the Living Dead, and she needs to learn to breath life into her own personality, she had the personality of a pencil.

Taking the stage was Asia'h Epperson, the 19 year old waitress from Joplin, Missouri, singing Piece Of My Heart, she was energetic, had strong vocals, and put her own unique spin on the performance. Randy said she brought a little you to it. Paula said she was having fun and had some good moments. Simon said it was his favorite of the night, she let go and had fun.

On state next was 20 year old Ramiele Malubay from Florida, singing You Don't Have To Say You Love Me. With a dramatic entrance, she was in control of this song from the beginning to the end, never letting it get too far ahead of her but not quite letting it get out and shine either. Randy said he loved how she make it her own but stuck to the melody. Paula said she is a force to be reckoned with, beautiful accents in her voice. Simon said she was the most content singer and tonight out sung the others.

Batting cleanup was 21 year old actress Syesha Mercado from Miami, singing Tobacco Row. Another rocker, her performance was powerful, dramatic, and attention grabbing. Randy said she has a big powerful voice, a few pitchy things, but consistent. Paula added it was joyful, fun and big. Simon said it wasn't her best performance, but that didn't matter because she is one of the most talented girls in the competition, the total package.

Closing the show was Carly Smithson, the tattooed 24 year old, singing The Shadow Of Your Smile. The performance was haunting, strong, maybe a little pitchy but full of emotion and hinting at hidden power. Randy said that is what the show is all about, the best vocal of the top 24 battling bronchitis. Paula said she is the lucky coin in the pocket, the tenderness of her voice comes through her power. Simon once again did not get it, thought the song was way too old fashioned, everything about it was a let down.

Two of the men and two of the women will fail to secure enough votes tomorrow to make it to the top twenty. Who were your favorites? Who deserves to get the boot? Find out what America thinks tomorrow night on American Idol!

Fuskie

Whose top four performances were Syesha, Asia'h, Alexandrea, and Amanda...

Carly was the best of the girls. I don't know what Simon was listening to, but it wasn't the same show I was watching. Quirky Brooke White was also a stand out to me, she's got a different style which makes her interesting.

The girl who can do the Britney Spears immitation was better than the criticism she received. I can't remember her name.

Amy Davis, by far the most beautiful of the girls, had the worst performance. Like Chikizie the night before, I cringed during her song.

Amy Davis, by far the most beautiful of the girls, had the worst performance.

I agree, Jersey. Unfortunately, I think her nerves got to her and she just picked the wrong song. She is a beautiful girl but I think she will be, most likely, one of the girls who will be going home. My other guess is Joanne, the plus-sized model. She wasn't bad- just very forgettable.

Trying to predict which guys will go home is much tougher. Although Garrett Haley should be packing his bags, I have a strange feeling that pre-teen girls will love him and he seems like a ringer selection for "vote for the worst" for this year (think Sanjaya). We'll see. I'm going out on a limb and guessing Jason Yeager and Chikezie will be heading for home tonight.

My faves last night were Syesha (if Paula comments on the "yes" in her name ONE MORE TIME <_< ...) Mercado, Ramiele, Brooke and Kady. It's kind of refreshing to not see a total front runner yet though- I can't wait to hear the second performances!

I thought most of the girls performances were forgettable. Ami Davis is definately going home and I don't know who else. I thought that the girl who sang Piece of my heart was good. I noticed one thing that bothered me. She always sang art instead of heart. I agreed with Simon most of the night except for Alexandrea. I really liked how she sang Spinning Wheels.

lol simon killed me when he said rocker chick was good

she imho was worst of the night

24 Idols have performed. 28 million of you voted. Tonight, two of the men and two of the women will go home. This is American Idol!

Seacrest starts the show with Idol banter with the judges before going to a music video showing the top 24's trip through the PR machine so far. And then it was time for the first group song, with the guys all dressed in black suits with white shirts and ties, singing Needles and Pins. Then the girls come out in their black and white themed dresses, singing Spanish Harlem. Then the sexes come together, singing Bend Me, Shape Me.

Oh the agony.

The results are in, four our out, the girls are waiting in the dog pound, but we're dealing with the guys. But first, we look back at Tuesday's performances and the judges' comments.

And then it's time for a chat with Garrett. It's tough to say goodbye to anyone, isn't it, says Ryan. Yes it is, says Garrett. And tonight I have to say goodbye to you. Garrett says he is happy with the way he was. And Garrett reprises his farewell song, Breaking Up Is Hard To Do.

After the break, it's all about the ladies, with a look back at Wednesday's performances and the judges comments.

Ryan invites Christie to the stage and tells her to rest up from the flu, because she is safe. The person leaving tonight is Amy Davis, who reprises her stylized farewell song, Where The Boys Are.

Two more are going home tonight, and Paula Abdul is going to shake what Mamma Abdul game her. Coming up.

We take a break from the eliminations to talk to the judges about all the artists Randy has worked with, and now he has worked with Paula Abdul. Paula has a track on his album and Paula is nervous as Ryan rolls the video.

Simon said she represents every color in the universe.

Now back to the girls and there results. Ryan calls Joanne and Amanda to the center of the stage.

After the nationwide vote, everyone sitting on the sofa is safe. Either Amanda or Joanne is leaving tonight. After the break.

Back to the slicing and dicing. America voted and Amanda is safe. Joanne leaves us tonight on American Idol. Randy said it was a touch choice and nerves got the best of her.

Simon, what's going through your mind at this point?

How much I love Coca-Cola.

Joanne says she will keep on singing as she reprises her farewell song, Say A Little Prayer For You.

Someone else is going to join Amy, Garrett and Joanne and it is going to come from the guys. Ryan invites Colton and Chikeze to the stage. America voted, and one of you has to go. That person is Colton. Chikeze is safe. Colton leaves us on American Idol.

Paula said he is young and talented with a whole career ahead of you. Simon said he should get a good job and enjoy singing for fun.

We watch a look back at the AI journeys of Colton, Garrett, Amy and Joanne before Colton reprises his farewell song, Suspicious Minds.

Fuskie

Who does not think Colton was one of the two worst songs, and Chikeze should count himself lucky...

Archived