Brat Camp

Guest ranster627

Guest ranster627

FROM TV GUIDE: The Insider

Do Your Kids Need Brat Camp?

by Matt Webb Mitovich

Two weeks ago, amid cries of racism and prejudice, ABC abruptly pulled the welcome mat out from under Welcome to the Neighborhood, a controversial and as yet unaired reality show in which several, um, "diverse" clans vied for a house in a coveted community. The cancelation, while commendable, left ABC with a bit of a public-relations black eye, and one could understand if the execs behind the net's next daring unscripted series were given a bit of a scare by Neighborhood's fate.

Enter Brat Camp, a show which sends nine problem children

Guest ranster627

FROM TV GUIDE: The Water Cooler

Brat Camp

Shoot. I better cancel next month's "wilderness therapy" quickly. Otherwise I might not get a full refund. It looked so relaxing in the brochure, even retreatlike. Thank goodness for ABC's reality check. Otherwise, my potty mouth and I would be stuck carrying the largest and heaviest rock in the wild for the entire 40 days. As a former wild child, it is nice to see that the dress code for deviance has not changed: dark colors, hoods and massive amounts of eyeliner are mandatory.

Furthermore, identifying troubled young ones as "Hostile Outcast" or "Angry Punk" is certainly groundbreaking. Obviously, these labels will inspire "Angry Punk" to become "Peaceful Punk" or, better still, "Happy Punk." And don't you think they feel all warm and fuzzy when the guides have names like Glacier and Boulder? While the conditions of this camp appear Survivor-esque, at least the concept behind this series is less reprehensible. Reality-show contestants proudly display their dysfunction and need to do little more than "outwit" and "outlast." The goal at Brat Camp is improving, not backstabbing to win.

Family and I watched this... or should I say started to... had to "boot" my daughter 10 minutes into because these kids were talking about doing things that she's never even fathomed... didn't want her getting any bright ideas... LOL

Still watched the rest of it with my dad and husband, not sure if I'll stick this one out. I did like how the counselors are handling these kids and I hope there is an epiphany for each and every one of them to move their lives in a better direction but, I couldn't help but, thinking that Jana "The Phantom Dooker" is not going to out live that label... doing more damage to her psychy, when she's made fun of now that it was aired, than any of the "bratty" things she wouldn't have outgrown or come to terms with if her parents would just stop spoiling her. imo

I'm sure there is good to come out of this but, for the "rebel teenager" inside of me... the best line of the night was the final voice over by one of the male teens... "for any parents out there thinking about sending your kids to this place.. F$#* YOU!!! I know I wasn't supposed to laugh at that but, I about fell out of my chair... does that make me a brat? :P

I watched it and thank God for the kid I have. Some of those kids are outta control especially the one who tried to stab his brother with the knife. I think he needs more help than brat camp. That kid's mentally deranged.

Guest ranster627

FROM TV GUIDE: Entertainment News

HIGH CAMP: It looks like ABC has another summer reality smash on its hands. The network saw more than 10 million viewers turn out for the premiere of Brat Camp on Wednesday. It marked the third-highest reality debut this summer, behind ABC's Dancing with the Stars and the NBC dud Hit Me Baby One More Time.

Guest ranster627

Brat Camp

Wow. How exhausting to watch these teens meet the physical demands of therapy. It was almost as if I, too, had trekked 7 miles uphill while battling a blizzard. As an asthmatic, I gasped along with wheezing Lexie, whose lungs struggled from overexertion and the frigid climate. Still, unrelenting and occasionally dangerous exercise proved oddly effective. Rather then the typical endorphin rush that follows vigorous exercise, treacherous journeys indeed stir the entire pot: Meltdowns and breakthroughs occurred, which may have been easier to induce since their young spirits were nearly broken.

Angry, and allegedly violent, Frank, helped little Derek, who had taken a tumble. Shawn got off to an irritable start due to a large load he carried. As the hike progressed, Shawn spoke honestly about being adopted and his feelings of abandonment, the true source of his wrath. The one teen I get the most pleasure from, whose breakthrough is yet to come, is Jada. She makes me howl with laughter. Identified as a compulsive liar, she told her parents that she is made to eat until she vomits (not true). And when she learned that she tested positive for cocaine, she insisted she didn't know that was the substance she used! That's always a good way out! Counselor Flying Eagle said it best, "I think integrity is something you do in the dark."

Guest ranster627

Brat Camp

The words "extreme camping" hardly scratch the surface of this hour. Nor do they do justice to the skills the kids pick up. How does repelling down a cliff build self-esteem? It forces you to face your fear, of course. Kudos to Lexie, who triumphed over her terror and repelled downward, despite her sobs. I tried climbing once, and didn't realize I had fears until I met them at the top of the mountain! Hence, I can empathize with Derek, who decided to sit this one out. Nick's dyslexia causing the others to laugh during a simple division problem was quite sad. But his emotional honesty when talking about the disability was another Brat milestone. And he started a fire, to boot! (This was another "skill", meant to boost his feelings of inferiority). Fire-lovin' Isaiah also started a blaze, and remarked that he now has a "different respect for fire." And all was right with the world... Finally, Lauren talked to Mother Raven about the death of her father. My viewing companion cried. I wondered why she was eating a carrot in a therapy session. All in all, repelling and arson are skills that can be put to use if these kids can be pointed in the right direction.

I'll raise both hands and stand up on my crutches.

These kids do have issues,If you ask me this is an alternative to the kids going to jail first.They are really concerned about the kids and actually try to work with these kids.

Thumbs Up!!

Jinx

Well if brat camp is suppose to help these kids it didn't work for one kid. According to 98.7 a radio station here in Los Angeles, Isaiah Alacron, the angry punk dude, and a friend were arrested in Merced for vandalism and a hate crime for spray painting a lady's house with a swastika. Since the show is getting good ratings and probably will be picked up for another season maybe he can do part two.

I was born in Merced. I haven't been back there for 33 years. Don't blame the show for not working. It may have worked, but it is also up to the parents to keep the kids on the right path. If the parents go back to doing the same things, so will the kid.

Don't blame the show for not working.

Where does it say I blamed the show???Learn to read. I said it didn't work for one kid and maybe that kid needs a double dose of Brat Camp. Nowhere did I assign blame in my post........ big difference.

Access Hollywood.com

'Brat Camp' Teen Involved In Boating Accident

jada_brat.jpg

Jada Schiavo of 'Brat Camp'

One of the stars of ABC's reality drama series "Brat Camp" reportedly struck a family on a raft while she was driving a motorboat in Wrentham, Massachusetts, according to WHDH in Boston. "Brat Camp" teen Jada Schiavo, 15, was apparently a bit camera shy after she allegedly slammed her motorboat into the family, as she hid behind a police SUV before taking off with her back to the camera, WHDH reported.

But one thing Jada can't run from is the authorities, as she's reportedly been charged with negligence. Investigators told WHDH the teen was paying attention to her boyfriend who was kneeboarding behind her boat and did not see the Moraes family on the raft.

"The boat just crashed into us. We were just thinking like why did the girl do that to us? Like she wasn't looking she was just cranking," Nichole Moraes told WHDH. Nichole's 15-year-old sister was reportedly taken to the hospital with broken ribs while her friend suffered head injuries.

bio_jada.jpg

Jada Schiavo

A 9-month-old baby was also on board when the family was hit and the father was thrown into the water. The father, Aganore Moraes, told reporters, "I climbed out of the water and said 'oh God what of my family?'"

ABC's "Brat Camp" features troubled teens trying to get their lives back on track, but according to the show's Web site, Jada apparently has a long way to go. "Jada refuses to go to school. She has dropped out of two boarding schools and nine private schools in the last six years."

Her bio continued, "Instead of going to school, she throws parties and experiments with sex, drugs and alcohol. Jada's an aspiring singer who thinks she doesn't need school because she's going to be a star one day. She's also a compulsive liar who is always making excuses," the site said.

When contacted by Access Hollywood, ABC said no comment.

Guest ranster627

Brat Camp

The brats got a dose of intense struggle this week, followed by some growth. But back to the struggle ... Solo camping was on the agenda, 3 creepy, weepy nights and bright days of self-reflection. And all the kids had was an emergency whistle and their camping packs. Heather compared the experience to The Blair Witch Project. When I saw 14-old Derek through the green-tinted night-cam, sobbing in his sleeping bag, I agreed. But hey, at least there was no mucous! Mountain Wind paralleled Derek's saga to learning "how to swim while you're drowning." True indeed, and Jada needs to drown as well, er, I mean, struggle, in order to even begin her journey of self-awareness. She wrote yet another dishonest, manipulative letter to her folks. It was quite effective: they spoke to program director Flying Eagle to discuss pulling her from the camp. Curious creatures, parents are, as an earlier letter from Jada, who had claimed to have a broken hand, did not trigger the same reaction. Considering the counselors threats regarding Christmas... well, mark Jada down as naughty. I've checked my list. Better still, allow everyone else to graduate prior to the holidays so she can go solo for the rest of the program. Even the show's narrator commented that "resident drama queen Jada is wasting her time belly aching." But everyone else progressed - the solo days were filled with epiphany moments. Even Glacier thawed, as he connected with Lexie about a demon they share! If a Glacier can thaw, anything can happen!

E! Online

Bad News 'Brat Campers'

bratcamp_240_004.jpg

'Brat Camp'

Apparently, some of the kids featured on ABC's Brat Camp really are that bad. Two of the misguided youths that appear on the tough-love reality series are facing police charges after they were recently involved in separate criminal incidents. Jada Chabot, 16, and Isaiah Alarcon, 17, were two of nine participants in a 50-day program in the wilds of Oregon called SageWalk Wilderness Therapy Camp.

The teens progress (or lack thereof) was documented by the network, as the teens hiked, learned to build fires, went on solo adventures and took part in other supposedly character redeeming challenges. However, since returning home after filming wrapped in January, neither teen seems to have been able to steer clear of trouble. Chabot is facing four police charges after plowing into a family with a motorboat last week and Alarcon is facing charges for allegedly spray-painting racial slurs in front of a home last month.

According to her bio on ABC's Website, Chabot has "dropped out of two boarding schools and nine private schools in the last six years" and "throws parties and experiments with sex, drugs and alcohol." Alarcon, meanwhile, "is an angry punk rocker who smokes, drinks and has an obsession with fire."

In a perfect world, both teens would have returned home from SageWalk reformed and ready to make changes in their lives. However, though the outcome of "Brat Camp" is confidential, Chabot and Alarcon don't seem to make very good advertisements for the program's success rate.

Chabot was reportedly towing her boyfriend on a knee board behind her motorboat last week when she crashed into a boat carrying seven members of the Moraes family, injuring two children and flipping an 8-month-old baby into Massachusetts' Lake Pearl.

Grafieli Moraes, 16, was still hospitalized over the weekend with three broken ribs. "The doctors don't know when she's coming home," the girl's father, Agenor Moraes, told the Boston Herald in a recent interview. "She's still shocked. She told me last night she has dreams of the boat hitting us. It's tough."

Chabot expressed her remorse over the incident, which has left her facing a charge of operating a motor boat negligently, in addition to other charges. "This is the biggest shock of my life," Chabot told the Boston Herald. She continued, "I could have killed seven people. I feel so embarassed just walking around town."

Chabot also claimed that she's not really as bratty as she was portrayed on the show. "I never knew how they were going to edit and cut the show," Chabot said. "I'm upset at the way they portray me as a brat and that I don't care about anyone but myself."

Meanwhile, Alarcon was detained July 29 and charged with interfering with the exercise of civil rights and damaging property for painting racial slurs outside the home of a black preschool teacher in Winton, California, following a night of booze-fueled partying.

The teen reportedly told officials he meant no harm when he painted the slurs and was actually trying to remove them when he was arrested. He spent the weekend in juvenile hall and was under house arrest at his mother's home as of August 7. A hearing was scheduled for August 9 to determine whether Alarcon would be tried as an adult. If convicted, he could face up to two years behind bars and $15,000 in fines.

The troubled teen's mother would not let her son comment on the incident, but had previously told the Merced Sun-Star that his behavior had improved after he returned from SageWalk. Alarcon, who comes across as perhaps the angriest teen on "Brat Camp," has been vocal against the camp on camera and even escaped from the program at one point, according to ABC.

The series, which airs Wednesday nights at 9 p.m., has been performing well for ABC, debuting in fourth place last month with 10.4 million viewers and holding down the seventh place spot for the last week in July, per Nielsen Media Research.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest ranster627

Brat Camp

All good things come to an end. And just in time. If I heard the phrase "opening the lines of communication" one more time, I might have retched. And so I bid goodbye to the brats with my mouth hanging open in both surprise and amusement. Everyone graduated, ready or not. I guess when its time to go.... The shock came from the alleged success of two of the kids