Sign in to follow this  
Jem

Actor Heath Ledger

Heath Ledger found dead in NYC at age 28

By TOM HAYS, Associated Press Writer

heath7.jpg

NEW YORK - Heath Ledger was found dead Tuesday at a downtown Manhattan residence, and police said drugs may have been a factor. He was 28. NYPD spokesman Paul Browne said Ledger had an appointment for a massage at the Manhattan apartment believed to be his home. The housekeeper who went to let him know the masseuse had arrived found him dead at 3:26 p.m.

The Australian-born actor was nominated for an Oscar for "Brokeback Mountain," where he met his wife, actress Michelle Williams, in 2005. Ledger and Williams had lived in Brooklyn and had a daughter, Matilda, until they split up last year.

Ledger was to appear as the Joker this year in "The Dark Night," a sequel to 2005's "Batman Begins." He's had starring roles in "A Knight's Tale" and "The Patriot," and played the suicidal son of Billy Bob Thornton in "Monster's Ball."

Ledger grew up in Perth, and began doing amateur theater at age 10. At 16, he moved to Sydney to pursue an acting career, quickly landing TV movie roles and guest spots on Australian television.

After several independent films and a starring role in the short-lived Fox TV series "Roar," Ledger moved to Los Angeles and costarred in "10 Things I Hate About You," a teen comedy reworking of "The Taming of the Shrew."

Offers for other teen flicks came his way, but Ledger turned them down, preferring to remain idle than sign on for projects he didn't like. "It wasn't a hard decision for me," Ledger told the Associated Press in 2001. "It was hard for everyone else around me to understand. Agents were like, `You're crazy,' my parents were like, `Come on, you have to eat.'"

His latest role was in "I'm Not There," in which he played one of the many incarnations of Bob Dylan

I'm shocked.

I really liked him in "A Knight's Tale" and "10 Things I Hate About You",

and was/am looking forward to seeing him as the Joker.

This is going to change my viewing experience of that film for sure.

NEW YORK (CNN) -- Actor Heath Ledger was found dead Tuesday of a possible drug overdose in a Lower Manhattan apartment, the New York Police Department said.

Heath Ledger was found dead in his Manhattan apartment.

The Academy Award nominated actor was 28.

"Pills were found in the vicinity of the bed," police spokesman Paul Browne told CNN.

"This is being looked at as a possible overdose, but that is not confirmed yet."

Ledger was found by a housekeeper who had gone to wake him for an appointment with a masseuse in the Soho apartment, Browne said.

He was declared dead at about 3:30 p.m., Browne said.

In 2005, the actor played Ennis Del Mar in "Brokeback Mountain," about two cowboys who had a secret relationship.

The role earned him the Oscar nomination.

(Source: http://www.cnn.com/2008/SHOWBIZ/Movies/01/22/heath.ledger.dead/index.html[/url)

This is very sad! Only 28 years old!!!!! Darn good looking and a great actor to boot! He had a long career a head of him! RIP!

I loved him in "A Knights' Tale" I watched that movie a lot of times! :pixiedust:

I am deeply saddened by his death, he was a wonderful actor and loved everything I have ever seen him in!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is so very shocking and upsetting. I was watching tv when the breaking news came on of his death.

He was a fantastic actor and seemed to be such a clean cut young man.

He will be greatly missed.

I'm so sad about this news. Heath was one of my favorite actors. New baby and all... :(

I'm really just in shock. I just came home, flipped on my computer and saw the news on my yahoo page. I can't believe it! this is very traggic, what a huge loss!

Was HOTT

Will be accidental OD or weird aneurism.

Who knows.

OMGosh, I'm in shock!!! I had a tribute to him on my livejournal before I met my spouse b/c I was so in love with him at the time. I liked so many of his movies ...although I don't think he is as cute as I did before.

Wow- I'm in shock. My heart goes out to his little daughter in the sudden tragic loss of her father.

I was really looking forward to seeing him on the screen with Christian Bale in The Dark Knight, but now it wil be very difficult.

its so sad! this one i did not see coming at all!! its not like he was notorious for the drug use......i'm sure hoping it wasn't drugs though. he seemed like he was an actor who was more grounded than that!

very saddened by this news!

I actually gasped and my hand flew over my mouth driving home from work last night. This is a damn shame. Not only was he gorgeous, but I loved his work. He took interesting roles that would distance him from the pretty boy image. His performance in a small Australian film "Candy" (about a drug addict ironically) was one of my favorites. There's not many actors who I would say I would truly miss if they were not around any more. Heath I will miss.

My sister and I were so saddened by this. And I agree with jersey, I will miss him. His role in Brokeback was amazing. I feel for his daughter, and his family. I'm sure he will be greatly missed.

rip

I wonder if that is true or not. I heard she was called when he was found.

i heard that this morning too.........but i dont' remember which one it was.

a little young for him, eh? guess it really doesn't matter now though

That's what I thought, Erin.

I don't know if he was dating one of them but they are not too young for him. He was a very young man.

seriously?

who knew they were into real estate?

thanks for clearing that up though......

Yah, I guess the housekeeper called MK Olsen before calling 911....

And there are rumors that they were dating...

From things I've heard today, I have my own theory. The "masseuse" was not a masseuse at all. She was either his drug dealer or a get-high partner. She called Mary Kate Olsen (who she knew personally) because of drug paraphenalia around his apartment. Mary Kate sent her "security" team over before the ambulance arrived. I believe these guys cleaned stuff up. We already know it was not a suicide because the pill vials were not empty. No one commits suicide by leaving some pills in the bottles. I think it will come out that he died of a combination of heroin and prescription drugs. The biggest red flag to me is the call to Mary Kate Olsen before the 911 call. If you've nothing to hide, 911 would be an automatic response.

Or it was Colonel Mustard in the library with the candlestick.