Actor And Comedian Jack Eagle

TV_Paige

lat_small_BW_logo.jpg

Actor And Comedian Jack Eagle

Monk_Ad.jpg

Jack Eagle as Brother Dominic

NEW YORK CITY, New York -- Jack Eagle, a roly-poly comedian and actor who appeared in commercials, most notably as Brother Dominic in a Xerox ad that first aired during the 1977 Super Bowl, died Thursday, January 10 in New York, Newsday reported. The cause of death was not given. He was 81.

Eagle appeared in over 50 commercials throughout the 1970s, 1980s, and 1990s, most notably the popular Xerox ad as Brother Dominic in 1977. That Xerox commercial won the 1977 Cleo Award and was voted one of the Top 10 All-time Super Bowl commercials.

The 5-foot-4, 210-pound Jewish comedian had a stand-up act in the Catskills before landing the role that gave him international recognition. Playing a medieval monk, he was able to quickly reproduce 500 illuminated manuscripts, to which his abbot exclaimed, "It's a miracle!"

"A general call had gone out for a cherubic type," Eagle told a Times reporter in 1977. "Of course, I've never thought of myself that way. I've always seen myself as more of a Gregory Peck type."

Eagle240.jpg

Jack Eagle as Brother Dominic

In 1978, Eagle said in an interview with the Associated Press that he earned more from his commercial work in the previous two years than he had in all his prior work in show business. Previously, he was a stand-up comedian for more than 40 years, performing all over the world.

Born in Brooklyn, New York, on January 15, 1926, Eagle played the trumpet during the big-band era. He began doing commercials in the early 1960s. Among his other notable parts was Mr. Cholesterol in commercials for Fleischmann's Margarine in the 1970s.

Eagle was featured the films, "Step Mom" and "Isn't She Great," and performed on Broadway in "Catskills on Broadway." Eagle also made appearances on a number of TV programs, including "Candid Camera," "Captain Kangaroo," "The Merv Griffin Show" and "The Mike Douglas Show."

He is survived by his wife Sue; two daughters; son Ian, a sportscaster; and three grandchildren.