Dade

Courtesy of: ZAP2IT

Meet Your 'America's Next Top Model 10' Contestants

The tenth cycle goes back to where it began, New York City

January 17, 2008

34790397.jpg

Marvita, 'America's Next Top Model 10'

It's back to the Big Apple for the tenth cycle of "America's Next Top Model."

This time around, 14 wannabe models will be struttin' their fiercest to attain the coveted title and all its accompanying prizes. Also, supermodel Paulina Porizkova will join the judges' panel, replacing Twiggy.

A quick scan of the contestants show that only a few are students, while the rest are gainfully employed with vague titles like "hostess" or "production coordinator." And who is Katarzyna? Love the name. Maybe she's another young Russian bride like Natasha?

Photo Gallery: 'America's Next Top Model 10'

Oh but wait. Marvita? She looks familiar ... for good reason. She was a semi-finalist last season who made it to the cruise, but had to bid her dreams bon voyage when she was eliminated right before the finalists went to the house. During the callbacks, we learned she had a rough childhood. Well, anyway, she's back, and that might make things interesting. The last time a semi-finalist was eliminated but was chosen for the next season was Jaslene, who went on to win that cycle.

Below is a list of the tenth cycle hopefuls. As usual, they will have to compete in various challenges and photo shoots to prove their ability to be a future supermodel. The winner will be managed by Elite Model Management, receive a $100,000 contract with CoverGirl and appear on the cover and a six-page fashion spread in Seventeen magazine.

"Top Model" will premiere on The CW on Wednesday, Feb. 20 at 8 p.m. ET.

cw-at10-prt-aimee_009810-47483a-281x374.

Aimee

Hometown: Spanaway, Washington

cw-at10-prt-allison_009813-90e250-281x37

Allison

Hometown: Waunakee, Wisconsin

cw-at10-prt-amis_009814-81b96e-281x374.j

Amy (a.k.a. "Amis")

Hometown: Bartlesville, Oklahoma

cw-at10-prt-anya_009817-cb760f-281x374.j

Anya

Hometown: Honolulu, Hawaii

cw-at10-prt-atalya_009818-915cca-281x374

Atalya

Hometown: Brooklyn, New York

cw-at10-prt-claire_009821-c765b8-281x374

Claire

Hometown: New York, New York

cw-at10-prt-dominique_009822-3abc97-281x

Dominique

Hometown: Columbus, Ohio

cw-at10-prt-fatima_009825-2d72fe-281x374

Fatima

Hometown: Boston, Massachusetts

cw-at10-prt-katarzyna_009826-aa0f15-281x

Katarzyna

Hometown: Roslyn, New York

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Continued....

cw-at10-prt-kimberly_009829-5f9162-281x3

Kimberly

Hometown: Worcester, Massachusetts

cw-at10-prt-lauren_009830-7cf7ae-281x374

Lauren

Hometown: Brooklyn, New York

cw-at10-prt-marvita_009833-4d38fa-281x37

Marvita

Hometown: San Francisco, California

cw-at10-prt-stacy-ann_009834-55f292-281x

Stacy Ann

Hometown: Miami, Florida

cw-at10-prt-whitney_009837-2e0ebe-281x37

Whitney

Hometown: Atlantic Beach, Florida

Photos courtesy of: CW, AMERICA'S NEXT TOP MODEL

2 Amy's (different spelling), an Allison, Anya and Atalya. Some of the "A" names better get eliminated quick or I'm gonna be real confused for the first few weeks.

Love, love, love Paulina Porizkova. If Tyra's not afraid to let her be herself, she'll be great. She's really very funny.

• 1 month later...

Alright, here is my take on each of the girls.

Aimee: I actually don't remember much about her, so she must not have been anything special

Allison: I thought she was pretty, but the purple eyeshadow, wtf?

Amis: Loud, this year's Jael me thinks. She is pretty though. But the pubic hair thing, kinda gross.

Anya: I've seen modelling pics of her previous to ANTM, she is so pretty. But her speech is rather bad. I think she will go far.

Atalya: Again, I don't really remember her.

Claire: I hated her haircut. And drinking the breast milk, gross. I don't get what they saw in her....

Dominique: Completely annoyed me. Too sure of herself.

Fatima: Thought she was a stuck up b*tch. But then heard about the female circumcision thing. Wow, that totally changed my view.

Katarzyna: She has that exotic look. I kinda hope she goes far. And she seems smart enough.

Kimberly: Wow, can someone get anymore blonde?

Lauren: Ummm, all I have to say is, why Tyra?

Marvita: I CAN'T STAND HER. I hope she is the first to leave.

Stacy Ann: Looks like Danielle, but definately doesn't sound like her! I kinda like her.

Whitney: My pick for this year. She is so pretty, and she has a great personality. I hope she goes far!

Wow, erin you really did take notes. At this stage, I can only say that I hate Marvita (on this we agree), but I liked Dominique, Claire, and Aimis. I don't like Fatima's look. I do think Katazanya (is that her name?) is beautiful but I'm not sure if I like her yet.

That's about all I could absorb at this early stage of the game. I was also watching American Idol and Big Brother at the same time so I missed alot. I'll try & catch the re-run later in the week.

Courtesy of: TV GUIDE, TV SHOW BLOGS

America's Next Top Model

by Adam Schubak

Episode Recap: Welcome to Top Model Prep

Ladies and gentlemen, welcome to cycle 10 of America's Next Top Model! It seems like only yesterday we were all flipping out over Tyra's decision to crown Saleisha the cycle 9 winner. Now, in an attempt to inject a little life into the show, Tyra and co. are heading to Manhattan. Will a change of location be enough to get us disappointed fans interested again? I sure hope so.

After a short countdown of flashbacks from the past 9 cycles, the new season kicked off rather suddenly by introducing us to this years crop of 35 aspiring models as they rode a bus to Top Model Prep. Upon arriving, the two J's met with the girls and gave them the rundown for this year's competition. Before class could begin at Top Model Prep the hopefuls had to change into their school uniforms and pose for photo IDs. After that, it was off to runway class with Miss J. The class gave the girls a chance to prove their worth this early in the competition. Girls like Dominique and Fatima certainly proved they had the confidence to make it through to the house but we all know that Tyra prefers to mold her Top Model over taking a girl who thinks too highly of her own abilities.

Later in the day, the top 35 made their way to the football field for a pep rally featuring some familiar faces from past cycles including Jael, and twins Amanda and Michelle. It was here that Mr. and Miss J announced to the girls that this season will be taking place in New York City. The J's also announced that they were about to crown a homecoming queen. As all the girls began to get excited over the thought of being crowned homecoming queen and practically being offered a spot in the house, the real queen came busting out from behind the backdrop. Tyra had finally arrived! While performing her annual attempt at acting, one of the girls pulled a slick move to stand out among the crowd of screaming girls. Allison was the only girl smart enough to use the opportunity to make herself known as Tyra egged on the girls by pretending to be a promiscuous homecoming queen claiming to have slept with the other girls' boyfriends. Confused? Yeah, me too...but at a certain point you just have to accept that this is what Tyra does and enjoy her bizarre antics.

Following the pep rally, it was time for the girls to introduce themselves to Tyra and the J's while the rest of the girls waited together in the back room. As each girl came out and explained why they should be America's Next Top Model, the rest got to know their competition a little better. Negative criticism was tossed back and forth and a fight erupted when Fatima (the Somalian-born NYU student) said some of the other girls acted too ghetto. The girls were ready to throw down but quickly calmed down upon learning about Fatima's tragic past being a victim of female circumcision. Although most of the girls zipped their lips and helped to console Fatima, Marvita (the girl who is shaping up to be the instigator of the cycle) decided it would be appropriate to ask if being circumcised made her feel like less of a woman. This was one of those moments that regardless of being hard of hearing, it calls for some closed captioning to make sure you heard correctly and yes folks, she did in fact go there. Clearly the girl is not a Mensa member. Anyhow, after each girl had their time in front of the judges it was time for the first cut. I was happy with the decisions they made in who to send home first. Shaya, Shalynda, and Marguerite were all pretty girls but none of them had that Top Model look.

After the first cut, the remaining girls were told to put on identical outfits and apply their own makeup to add their own flair to the shoot. While most of the girls applied the typical makeup job, both Allison and Lauren (the punk rocker) saw an opportunity to once again make themselves stand out a bit. Fatima took a little longer to prep herself for the shoot but showed commitment to putting out the best quality photos she could produce. Shortly after, it was time for Mr. Jay to meet up with Tyra and Miss J to discuss the most recent set of photos and decide which 13 girls would be moving into the house. Those girls are: Allison, Fatima, Katarzyna, Kimberly, Stacy-Ann, Aimee, Amy, Claire, Whitney, Marvita, Lauren, Atalya, and Anya.

But wait...just when the tears started to flow and the chosen girls rejoiced, Tyra announced that one more girl would be joining the other 13 in the house. The late addition to the house was Dominique (the girl who has amazing self-confidence but the other girls described as an over-tanned drag queen.)

So there ya have it! The girls of cycle 10 have been chosen and a new season is underway in a new city. At the end of episode 1, I've gotta say I have a lot more hope for this season than I did at the start of the last cycle. My early favorites would have to be Claire (the girl who said she drinks her own breast milk,) Lauren (the punk rocker,) Allison (the tear-drop makeup girl,) and Fatima (the one who said the other girls were too ghetto.) I would have liked to see Kristen make it in over Kimberly (the ditzy blonder) or the incredibly annoying Stacy-Ann but I'm definitely satisfied with what we were given. Now we just gotta wait and see how the makeovers come out. I wonder if we'll have another Tootie on our hands. What did you all think? Are we getting off to a good start? Are you satisfied with this season's crop? Let us know!

And if you missed any part of the cycle 10 premiere, look for it in our online video guide!

Posted by Adam Schubak 02/21/08 1:39 AM

Gosh! I can't believe that Kim walked out like that! Wtf did she bother going through all the auditions for if she doesn't like fashion?! I agree with her regarding the insanity of paying 700.00 for a purse etc. But she could still be a model and not have to model that haute couture crap. I think she's too young and didn't know how to express herself. She looked ridiculous in front of the judges because she was so inarticulate.

What a shame too, Her pics were phenomenal! I think she could have gone far.

I'm always struck by how kind of ugly some of these girls are. I mean, I understand that modeling isn't all about being pretty and that some of these very unique looks might be striking in some modeling situations, so I'm not saying they shouldn't be there. But if you saw some of them walking down the street you'd probably go 'woof', or maybe even 'yikes'!

I was pretty shocked to see her there, I was glad when she didn't get selected last season. Sometimes It seems as if they select certain girls with the intention of eliminating them. Marvita seems to be one of the 'chosen' eliminations. But I thought that about Jaslene too, So what do I know?

I totally have been missing out on this season with Wednesdays being such a busy TV day. Thankfully antm reruns on Sunday nights. So far I can't believe how stunning Fatima and Claire are. Even Claire's hands are gorgeous.

I miss Twiggy though... I don't know about this Pauline yet.

I still can't believe that either. And just so you know,.... You can also watch ANTM on The CW's web site.

Their site is a bit cumbersome, with all the other programs and adverts,

But I missed the initial ANTM because I forgot it was starting and didn't get it on the DVR either. So I was mighty glad to find the entire episode available for viewing on their web site.

Gotta admit, I liked all the makeovers last night, which was really unusual. But it is looking more and more like Marvita is the new Jaslene (WHICH SUCKS). *sigh* And I am really starting to not like the chick that had the orange hair (forgot her name). Her and Marvita are my bottom two. Wasn't upset about Allison leaving last night, she was way too cocky for me.

Courtesy of: TV GUIDE, TV SHOW BLOGS

America's Next Top Model

by Adam Schubak

Episode Recap: Top Model Makeovers

Well peeps, here we are! Another round of Top Model makeovers. Over the past 10 cycles, its become customary to expect dye-jobs, weaves, and disapproving looks from the Jay's as the girls undergo their transformations and cry throughout the whole thing. Will this year be any different? I'm thinking that's a big N-O. If there's one thing this show has kept interesting since the beginning, it's the makeovers. So let's get to recapping.

The episode started out with the girls lounging around the apartment talking about who they thought their biggest competition might be. Despite having been in the bottom 4 last week, Dominique seemed pretty confident in her modeling ability. Just as the girls were starting to get to know each other a little better, the doorbell rang and outside were 12 white bags filled with Applebottom products. Cue the screeching girls. While the rest of gals went gaga over their new stuff, Lauren once again expressed how much of a tomboy she is and how wearing high-heeled shoes is not her thing. By the way, maybe I missed it but did she ever explain why she auditioned for this show in the first place? Meanwhile, Allison took the time to let us know how much better she thinks she is than the rest of the girls because she has experience modeling overseas. We get one of those every season and they never last! Moving on, while still reveling in the excitement of their new threads the claws came out when Fatima asked for a definition of an apple-bottom. When the other girls told her that Allison's butt was the epitome of an apple-bottom, Fatima quickly retorted with "Well that's just cause she's a bigger girl!" Not cool! Upon hearing this, Allison ran into another room and immediately began measuring her waist and confessed off-camera to have struggled with an eating disorder all of her life. Fatima felt a bit of guilt for making that comment but insisted (just like every cycle's bitchy model does) that she's here to win and not make friends. Just in time to break the tension, a Tyramail came on the message board.

After a short ride in their limo taxi, the girls arrived at a Walmart for their first challenge. They met with Brent Poer from Covergirl who informed the models that their challenge was to shop for cosmetics to create a natural look for themselves in only 5 minutes. As the girls hustled around the Covergirl section, Allison announced how she thought she was doing better than the rest of the models. However, Claire was chosen as the winner and Allison was called out for overdoing it a bit. When the girls returned home, Claire confessed that she was in the competition to provide a better life for her child which inspired the rest of the models to share their own stories. Meanwhile, in the other room Allison and Fatima were still bickering. This time, Allison was playing with a barbie doll that she deemed to be Fatima and said "I'm Fatima, I like to take it in the back cause I'm black!" which sent Fatima over the edge. Although I completely disagreed with Fatima's earlier comments, Allison had no reason to bring Fatima's race into it. No amount of obnoxious comments from Fatima could have justified Allison turning this into a race issue.

The next day, the girls received another Tyramail informing them that it was makeover time. When they arrived at the salon, Mr and Miss Jay told them there were several surprises in store and only Tyra herself could tell them what they are. For this cycle, rather than telling the girls what they can expect from their new look, everything was going to be kept secret until the transformations were complete. So here's the rundown: Anya went platinum blonde, Whitney got a blonde weave, Aimee got a red dye-job and bangs, Marvita got what Tyra called a horse's mane, Lauren got a reddish-blonde weave, Katarzyna got a dark dye-job, Claire got shaved and dyed blonde, Fatima got a brown dye-job and a weave, Allison got a lighter dye-job, Dominique got chopped and dyed, Stacy-Ann got clipped, and Amis got a blonde weave. Overall, I thought the girls looked great but I'll have more on that later.

With their new looks, the girls were ready for their post-makeover photo shoot. Before the models could get in front of the camera, Mr. Jay introduced a surprise guest who could offer them some career advice: Elle Macpherson. As a complete 180 from Paulina's advice last week, Elle actually gave the girls some constructive criticism that they could take with them even after the competition. Fatima, Claire, and Aimee totally rocked their new look but Lauren, Allison, and Dominique seemed to struggle a bit. When the Tyramail came in letting the girls know they had to face the panel again, Lauren and Dominique were noticeably worried while Allison remained confident she'd still have her spot after elimination. The judges ripped into Allison's forced poses and criticized how the stylist seemed to cover up Whitney's curves (not her fault but they still seemed to hold it against her.) In the end, the judges had to choose between Dominique and Allison. They finally decided to send Allison packing. With all of her arrogance and trash-talking throughout the entire episode, I can't say I'm surprised.

Overall, I thought the girls look damn good with their new makeovers with a few exceptions. Marvita's mane makes her look like a reject from American Gladiators (though it does seem to photograph well.) Claire looks good but reminds me too much of 90's fitness guru Susan Powter. I have to say My favorite look goes to Lauren, Fatima, and Whitney. My least favorite would have to be Stacy-Ann. I think they could have done a much better job with her because the way she looks now she just doesn't stand out. So what's your take on the new looks? Have the makeovers given us a new favorite to win? Was Allison the right person to be sent home? Let us know.

See ya next week!

Posted by Adam Schubak 03/5/08 10:52 PM