American Idol 7

Dade

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought it was nice that they didn't poke fun of the people that was "not all there". I did feel sorry for 2-3 of the people. :pixiedust:

"When Moses was in Egypt's laaaaaaaaand..........Let my people GOOOOOOOO!"

that is top 5 all time i do believe!

all i've been hearing on the radio this morning is how they shouldn't poke fun at people who come on the show and suck. get over it! you know what you're getting yourself in to AFTER 7 SEASONS OF THIS! and it shouldn't be shame on the producers for airing this stuff, it should be shame on the families for having heard these people sing and letting them audition! tell them they suck so they are spared embarassment!

American Idol is the same now as it was in the beginning. stop getting all bent out of shape because people can't sing!

idk but i may be in the minority but i dont like open audition. i dont even watch it no more. with william hung they were actually bad not trying to make tv now it seem everyone wants to be bad to make tv

I am agreeing with UVP. I am tired of seeing people that can't sing. After seven seasons the only reason they are auditioning is to be on TV. So glad I tivo'd so I could skip all the flying birds and "Simon is an a-hole." And enough with the sob stories. I would have rather seen the auditions of the 29 people who made it to Hollywood than the guy dressed up like Princess Leia in Return of the Jedi.

I totally agree. Actually, after watching last night's season opener, I realized just how sick of it I really am. In general I think American Idol is becoming a bit stale. I mean it's so predictable- Paula, Randy and Simon make the same comments with the same staged arguments; we get the usual "I wanna be on tv no matter how absolutely idiotic I look" people and the sidenote views of several of the potential contestants backgrounds like the "scariest girl in New York's" studio apartment and pets and "my daughter has fill-in-the-blank disease and I'm going to exploit her so I can score some votes" wedding singer.

Don't get me wrong- I do look forward to hearing the ones who can really sing, however, I was really aware of the filming and editing manipulation last night and it bothered me. When they filmed the segment I mentioned above- the one with the woman and her sick daughter- I first felt compassion which changed to major irritation when they actually filmed the mother and friends/family members waving goodbye to her daughter who was going to school (or therapy? I don't remember where it was to, actually) from the cameraman's viewpoint in the bus right next to the daughter.

That just reeked of exploitation and manipulation.

The second segment that bugged me was miss privileged, gorgeous, ninja, horse-loving girl's. I didn't know whether they were wanting us to absolutely love her or loathe her. The whole segment was like a glossy ad campaign for a political candidate. I have to admit she can definitely sing though!

I just wish they'd let viewers make their own decisions based solely on the contestant's singing abilities without trying to manipulate us so much.

I did think their were several on the show who could really sing ("lost 200 pounds guy", "Ms. ninja horse-lover", "Mr. kind of creepy, small town from Delaware guy " and Mrs. "I don't watch R-rated movies" woman to name a few) and I do look forward to hearing them again...I just wish I had Tivo...

James Lewis was the Go Down Moses guy. I can't stop watching his clip on YouTube. I started laughing when he said he sounded like Paul Robeson or Eddie Vedder (what???) and I was still laughing long after he finished singing. This guy has to come back for the finale show.

It puzzles me how some people can think they can sing??? I'm a terrible singer, I KNOW I'm a terrible singer. I would never go on TV to sing, because I just know it. If I had a loved one or friend who wanted to go and try out I would be honest with them if they couldn't sing. I would tell them in a nice way though. And if they went anyway, then its on them. :pixiedust:

i thing its more of them wanting to be next hung

LOL uvp, you're probably right. Hung was a one time deal though. Some of these people are not all there in the smarts dept. They need handlers. JMHO :pixiedust:

I was listening to Kidd Kraddick in the morning this morning and they said that they found out that the guy who serenaded Paula (stalkerish serenading) was an actor or entertainer. They did some research on him and he's been on TV before.

The guy who sang this.

Proving that those producers care about nothing except entertainment, they let people outside of the show’s age range audition. A 32-year-old sang “a love song I wrote for Paula Abdul,” which included the lyrics, “She hasn’t noticed me/it really gets me down/I broke into her house when she wasn’t there/took off my clothes and tried on her underwear. … I’m not much of a talker/I’ll just stalk her. … If I were Colombo/I’d just Peter Falk-her. … If she were a bathtub/I’d caulk her.”

You can tell the ones who are trying to be Hung and the ones who are clueless to their abilities. The guy who kept needing to warm up is obviously oblivious to his lack of talent. I agree with TCS that there is a lot of people who can't sing and just don't know it.

Also what I find remarkable is where are they getting the people who CAN sing? After 7 seasons, you would think the people with talent would have already auditioned at some point. Yet, year after year, they find more people.

I think the general feeling in this thread is that the open audition show is past its time. Looking back, the success of William Hung is probably where Idol jumped the shark. They need to trim them down to an hour each city, show the best of the best and a few funny ones... "Let my people goooo!" and that's it. We don't need to see them on the farm or at home or hear tales about their accidents or illnesses. Idol is about singing, not pity.

Also, what is with Simon this season? He is definately mellowed out. He's let some people through that really didn't deserve it, and he's being a lot nicer.

Good post Baron, I agree with your post! :P

I think that Simon is mellow because he got alot of flack last year for being too hard on some of the people. I did notice that there was a few people that did bring out the "old" Simon on tonights' show. Which I didn't blame him, they were bad and should of known better. :pixiedust:

Yes, I have always liked Simon. He does what he is supposed to do. He tells the truth. But, the last few seasons, it seemed like he was playing the meanie Simon just because that is what was expected of him. He's a lot better now. I hope it sticks.

I can't believe anyone would collect their fingernails. I was rollin' on that one.

I wish these auditions weren't 2 hrs a night when AI airs. ...gets overdone for me fast even if it's the part many enjoy the most.

I hear ratings are at an all-time low for opening season. Weird considering the time slot and what else there is on tv (NOTHING). ...........not that I expect 2nd, 3rd, 10th seasons of reality shows to get better since they normally get worse, but I guess I was hoping to hear something positive.

Seems like I'm going to like a lot of the folks. They seem interesting.

I can't believe anyone would collect their fingernails. I was rollin' on that one.

It sort of made me queazy! I hope he leaves them at home when he goes to Hollywood!

I thought the "never been kissed" guy was pretty good, they work with them once they get to Hollywood and I think he was nervous.

Deff loved the last girl, she has some talent!

One of the things I do like about the auditions is that everyone that they pick and the ones who make it thru to the final 12 show improvement. I think Tayor Hicks is about the only one who's singing stayed about the same. The singing coach Byrd is so good!!!!

JMHO :pixiedust:

I agree with you Baron - the impersonator did really well once she stopped impersonating! I'm waiting to see what happens in Atlanta and Miami - my nephew and his friends auditioned - he didn't make it, but one of his friends got through the first round in Miami (then was sworn to secrecy about how far he got).