Baby Borrowers

JEDI

(Source: http://www.ktvb.com/news/localnews/stories...rs.63a966d.html)

video-icon.gif See the show's trailer

KTVB.COM first broke this story in September. NBC has now set an air-date for the series.

BOISE - A new reality show taped in Idaho over the summer has a controversial record.

Baby Borrowers is set to debut on NBC at 7 p.m. on February 18th, after shooting in Eagle in August. The show gives teen couples their own house, and heaps on responsibility by giving them real children to take care of.

Love Productions is preparing the American version of the program, after a successful run in England on BBC3 earlier this year. The teen couples are given a toddler, pre-teen, teenager and elderly person for three days each.

"We take five teenage couples who are dating but have never lived together

Very odd. How "real" of an experience is it for the teenagers if there are professional nannies involved? Also, what do they mean by teenagers? 15? 19? What do they mean that have never lived together? Do teenage couples often live together? I am confused, but intrigued.

• 5 months later...

Courtesy of: NBC

The Baby Borrowers premieres Wednesday June 25 at 8/7c on NBC

NBC's upcoming reality series "The Baby Borrowers" is an intriguing new social experiment based on the hit British program that asks five diverse teenage couples -- ages 18-20 -- to fast-track to adulthood by setting up a home, getting a job and becoming caring parents first to babies, toddlers, pre-teens and their pets, teenagers and senior citizens -- all over the course of three weeks.

As the social experiment begins, the five young volunteer couples are asked to literally grow up overnight when they are each given a home in a quiet cul-de-sac outside Boise, Idaho and attend pre-natal classes as each "mother" wears a simulated "empathy" belly to prepare them for the arrival of their "baby."

When a real baby (all aged six-11 months old) appears at their door -- courtesy of five pairs of real volunteer parents (some of whom were teen parents themselves) who entrust their infants to one of the couples -- the nervous, fumbling teens are in for three long, arduous days that make chilling out a distant memory. They must stick to rigid routines, handle the feeding chores, diaper duty and crying jags that might be shared by baby and teens -- all the while under 24-hour supervision by nannies and the real parents who are stationed next door, watching via monitor, and able to step in at any time. Plus, one teen from each of the couples must start a job, ranging from working in a local vet's office to a lumberyard, leaving the other alone as caregiver for the day.

After three surprising, intense days, each teen couple will bid bye-bye to the baby and receive a toddler as their fast-forward adult life progresses. They will have to cope with typical "terrible twos" behavior, including pouty tantrums, potty training and other messes. Three days later, the weary couples must face the reality of parenting several sassy pre-teens/"tweeners" at once -- each with a family pet in tow, adding to their responsibilities.

Seventy-two hours later, the teenagers arrive, thereby perhaps providing them with a mirror image of their own recent relationships with their parents. To complete the cycle of life, the experiment ends with as couples are graced with the opportunity to care for a senior citizen, including some with health issues, who represent what might be in store for them in the distant future.

Through this emotional, dramatic journey, each young couple will get a unique opportunity to peer into the future and see what they (and their partners) might be like if they remain together and decide to build a family. Tested by the everyday ups and downs of taking care of others and maintaining a relationship, most of the teens find themselves looking at all of their relationships and notions of parenthood in a new light.

"The Baby Borrowers" is produced by Love Productions. Richard McKerrow (the U.K.'s "Cirque de Celebrite") and Tom Shelly ("Survivor") are executive producers.

NBC

This show theme is ridiculous. I bet it gets canned, especially after that news story about those girls in Mass who made a pact to get pregnant. Imagine, one girl was so desperate she had sex with a homeless guy. Uggghhhh!

Freakin rocks for brains some of these kids have today!!!!

True - especially after the MA teen pregnancy pact story broke - are you kidding me?! depending on the actual educational value of the show it might not hurt to start showing it in sex ed or parenting classes that high schools have. It's just scary when a teenage girl needs to use motherhood as a personal identifier

I saw a commercial for this show and they want us to believe the households are chaotic. Well, they might be if these were really their kids with no nanny present and bunch of film people on hand. Either way, I still say it's ridiculous.

BTW- that town with the girls who made the pact to get pregnant, it appears the town caters to unwed moms something they are very use to. The town including the school the girls go to have day care on site.

Courtesy of; REALITY TV MAGAZINE

Baby Borrowers borrowed a hit for NBC!

June 28, 2008 08:00:48 by Amanda_Christensen

bb-hit.jpg

When NBC debuted their new show, The Baby Borrowers, on June 25th it was hit! The Baby Borrowers is

lol this show is a wt f for me kind of deal

it will get many viewers the first weeks imho

You know, Kid Nation was one thing...at least they had adults to watch after them, but putting babies in the hands of inexperienced teens? IDK.

It's a trainwreck I'll have to watch.

I watched the show. I'm working on recording it now to show to my 17 year old daughter and 15 year old son. If ever there was a show that illustrated the harsh realities of children having children, this is it. As a mother of two teenagers, I have to say thank goodness they came out with a show like this. Kids today do not realize how hard it is to have babies. They think its all cute and sweet and "ohhhh, I want a baby!!". This show illustrates the hard work that goes into raising the children. The parents of the children are watching from just a couple of houses away and during the show, a couple of them came over when they were concerned and tried to inform the teens some of the actions that they needed to change. Its not a program that is intended to show kids why they need to have children. Its a show intended to illustrate why they SHOULDN'T have children too young.

After watching it... I think its freaking brilliant!!