Yau-man Chan

Dade

ym_l.jpg

THE RETURNING FAVORITES: YAU-MAN CHAN

SEASON: Survivor: Fiji

YAU-MAN SAYS: ''Last time, I was able to play the weak old man under the radar before the merge. I definitely cannot do that [this time].''

JEFF PROBST SAYS: ''You can't do a favorites season without Yau-Man. He's sort of the Rudy of this season. He'll be the oldest guy and the most frail and probably be one of the most popular. Yau-Man's problem is going to be those things. He's so popular, everyone there knows that he's popular and well liked, and everybody knows what happened to him in Fiji. But I think Yau-Man's going to have to come out and play aggressive. I don't think he can play that same game of just chopping coconuts and being everyone's friend.''

*Monty Brinton, EW.COM*

Bio

Originally from Malaysian Borneo, Yau-Man Chan attended All Saints Secondary School in Kota Kinabalu. He moved to the U.S. where he received a Bachelor of Science degree from Massachusetts Institute of Technology. He went on to receive his Master of Science degree from the University of California, Santa Barbara.

Yau-Man Chan is the Chief Technology Officer for the College of Chemistry at the University of California, Berkeley. In this position, he manages and runs the information systems infrastructure for administrative, research and teaching units of the college. This includes setting up networks, computers and managing business database systems. He previously worked designing electronic circuits for scientific instruments to collect data. He's also been a housepainter, cook and dishwasher.

Chan enjoys playing table tennis, bicycling, woodworking and reading. He is a member of the USA Table Tennis Association. He describes himself as intellectual and contemplative. He considers himself a natural leader, a good organizer, very skilled with his hands, very resourceful and feels he possesses a keen intellect.

Chan currently resides in Martinez, California with his wife of 24 years, Jennifer. They have two children, Penelope and Ione. They also have a dog, Tucker, and two rabbits, Ruby and Cupid. His birth date is August 26, 1952.

*CBS*

Yep, him and James both. They need Yao for his smarts and some of his finer skills, and James for the brute strength. But once they are on for individual immunity they will be toast. If they're smart, James and Yao will get in an alliance. Bring on Cirie and a couple of the others and they're in good shape.

• 1 month later...

Courtesy of: TV GUIDE, INTERVIEWS & FEATURES

Survivor: Micronesia's Nice Guy Finishes Early

by Nina H

I absolutely loved Yau-man! He was the truest, nicest guy in Survivor history. I am shocked that he was voted out. I had hoped it would be that skinny chick....Eliza. Gosh, I hated her the first time around. Who picked these "favorites"?