Biggest Loser: Couples

Dade

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK, I'd admit this last season was the very first season I watched, so I don't have a to compare with. By looking that these pictures, yeah everyone is over weight, but they all look healthy and reasonably "fit" for their size. By "fit", they look to me like they do get regular exercise and\or have a life style where they get some regular physical activity other than watching reality TV shows all day and posting 100s of messages on the Internet everyday :animated_bouncy:

And for the record, today I ran 5.25 miles in 43 minutes..... So there!! :cheshire:

Thanks King123, I do workout everyday, but I'm not believer that everyone has to look perfect or have killer workouts. When I go out and run races, I am no elite athlete, I generally finish in the middle of my age group. Those who impress me the most are middle aged and older people, some are over weight, who are out there too. Those are the people who are truly working hard and are dedicated to staying fit and healthy. A 20-something running 6-7 minutes miles is impressive too, but far too many of them become out of shape and over weight when their natural athlete talent is off set by getting older. I am old enough to have seen it happen with friends\family.

My speculation about The Biggest Loser is that these people are individuals (in general) who have in the past been at a healthy weight for their age and body type, therefor for them it is a matter of getting back to what they should be. Maybe I am wrong because I have not watched prior seasons, but it appears to me that the individuals are not obese people by a serious genetic disposition or a life style they had since childhood. If a person has been eating 5 Big Macs (etc) in single meal every day for 10+ years, that very much like a smoker smoking 1-3 packs a day for 10+ years. Quiting and staying that way takes years of efforts. I am not joking about eating 5 Big Macs, there are people who on a daily basis eat fast food crap in HUGE quanities.

LOL echo....I'm an older person who use to be pretty fit, until I fell and broke my back two years ago. I know I need to exercise, but it hurts like hell now. btw: Congrats on running 5.25 miles in 43 minutes! I think you're right most of these people were probably fit at one time. Some may have got into a rut, became couch-taters. Fast food has become a way of eating. Americans spend billions of $$$s on fast food every year. You're right when you say that fast food is crap. I think The Biggest Loser does give viewers hope that if they exercise and eat right that they too can lose weight. I also think that people can lose weight better if they have someone to do it with. I'm looking forward to seeing this next one with the couples. :pixiedust:

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, the show is 15 minutes in and already I'm cooked. I'm so glad it's back to just Gillian and Bob, they rock my socks off!!!

I love the father/daughter team as well as the best friends. I can't wait to cheer on these contestants and no doubt cry as well.

Happy viewing!!!

Okay, this is the 2nd thread I've seen this on...what is Happy Snancypants day? :animated_scratchchin:

As far as the current topic, I'm watching TBL right now, highly anticipated. I also just spent the day watching the Biggest Loser 2 Marathon on Bravo. This series has inspired me to pull out my stand by New Year's resolution to lose weight, and hopefully keep it off this time.

Okay, so they had to vote between two teams to go home... I predict they're going to do the same thing the second week but not the same thing the 3rd week. In season 4... after two eliminations, they were down to 16 people. After two eliminations this season, they should be down to 16 people too. Getting rid of a team each week would cause the season to end quicker and Alison did say there would only be one biggest loser. I predict in the third week that only one team will fall below the yellow line. And the other teams will have to decide which one of those team members to send home. Then the week after that, they do the same thing. However, if that single person falls below the yellow line, they're automatically eliminated. However, if one person of another team gets eliminated, then those two single people will team up.... of course, all this is purely speculation.

The hubby and I watched tonights' show. We both enjoyed it. I felt sorry for Jenni, she really didn't want to leave. (I hope its late enough in the evening to post that). I think Bette Sue is a trip! Theres several teams that I really like, so I'll have to watch a few more episodes before I'll start rooting for anyone. It was interesting that the teams that didn't think they did very good if fact did very good. I'll have to DVR next week because the hubby has surgery next Tuesday, and he'll be keeping me busy.

Sounds like several of these people were fit at one time in their lives. Just like so many people.....poor diet and no exercise. I'm guilty of that myself. lol :pixiedust:

I am watching the show right now on my HDTiVo.

As a completely, opposite topic, does anyone have friends\family with the eating disorder anorexia?

One of my neighbors (single 30 something woman) is currently near death as from anorexia. I don't know her too well, but she works at the Starbucks where I buy my coffee. She literally stopped eating, and lost her job because she (seriously) started scaring customers by her skin & bones appearance. She's about 6ft tall, I am guessing, weighing 60lbs-70lbs. This past week she was finally hospitalized, and she refused intravenous feeding.

TCS Wrote:

Sounds like several of these people were fit at one time in their lives. Just like so many people.....poor diet and no exercise. I'm guilty of that myself. lol
:pixiedust:

Yeah, that is the only way this show could be successful; their natural body weight for the their age\height\heredity has to be well below what it is before they start the show. And each one has had to have had a reasonably active life style in the past (Swimmer, football player, etc). No way could the show take a person who has been a 300lbs couch potato since age 12 and have that person drop about 100lbs in 4 months.

tCS Wrote

I think Bette Sue is a trip!

I literally howelled when I watched her crawled up the hill. This show loves to have moments that are borderline parody of reality TV.

Yeah, Bette Sue did terrible on the first challenge, but was better the second one. I like having 50+ people on the show. I liked how even though she crawled up the hill and scooted down it she didn't give up. Theres alot of older over weight people out there, I hope Bette Sue stays around for a while. I really like this team. Both her and her daughter were swimmers at one time. I hope they can get healthy again.

As a completely, opposite topic, does anyone have friends\family with the eating disorder anorexia?

I know of an older lady (mid-60s) who is 5'-10" and she weights about 80 lbs. She just doesn't like to eat, she has something wrong where food has no taste to her, her husband(he weighs about 350 lbs) has to tell her its time to eat something. She'll go ahead and eat, but she has to be told to eat. She takes vitamins, I think thats the only thing keeping her alive. As far as anorexia, I don't know anyone.

:pixiedust:

Courtesy of: REALITYBLURRED

Biggest Loser Couples debuts; competition component was originally minimized

On the first day of 2008, NBC debuted The Biggest Loser 5, a season featuring couples. Once again, the show also brought back its game-within-a-game, having couples vote each other off while they work to lose weight.

However, the Los Angeles Times reports that wasn

It sounded like they said that they were going to be a couple too, lightplum. I guess we'll just have to see whats up next. :pixiedust:

I think they meant they would team up as far as working together with the teams instead of separating as in previous seasons and doing their own thing.

So, anyone else catch that now the eliminated teams are doing the product placement? Could Mallory have sounded anymore as if she were reading from a cue card when she was talking about Subway? :animated_scratchchin:

There's always horrible product placement. I'm glad that they continuing to diet and exercise though. I think next week we'll see a twist where only one team will fall below the yellow line and only one person will go home instead of two... if that doesn't happen, this season is most likely going to be shorter than the last.