Sign in to follow this  
ElisabethF50

I Am Legend

This movie was sooo good. I really really liked it! Not anything really like the book, but still really good. I thought Will Smith did an AMAZING job, couldn't imagine it with anyone else.

i was told it was HORRIBLE. only 1 person ive known said they liked it.. so i will wait to see it on dvd.

I thought it was OK....Will Smith did an OK job, but better than his usual acting.

Man If I can only have his body....unfortunately, like Peyton Manning will say..I should give up on the six pack abs and just buy a bigger shirt.

I keep hearing it's good. Still won't see it until it comes out on DVD, so I've got a wait!

I think it was pretty good. I think my expectations were maybe too high. I think Will Smith did a fantastic job. I felt like there should be more to it though. I would like to know more about the sancuary and what was going on there.

While not officially a remake of Charleston Heston in "The Omega Man", it is pretty damn close (80%) to the same movie. Boy, I also wonder if that wasn't the original intent, but they changed the title. You know, last man on earth that battle zombies that can't handle daylight. Then he finds out he's not alone, there is a woman. The movie ends pretty much the same way as Omega Man did, they just updated the story a little to be a bit more up beat.

I didn't think it was HORRIBLE, but didn't think it was all that great either. First hour was pretty good, but it started to lose it from that point. I watch a lot of movies, and this movie looked like it was originally intended to be a different movie, but for whatever reason, they scaled it WAY back. Maybe the production was a mess, or they ran of money, or 100 different reasons why big budget movies with big stars have a odd feeling that final movie is an effort to "salvage" what they can after investing 10s millions into the production.

I should add I wouldn't have gone to see if not for the fact that my car need be worked on for 4 hours, and this movie was playing in a theater that was in walking distance.

maybe im the only one who liked this movie.. i don't know.

i read the book and it was different, but it was short, like the movie, and thats something ive heard about this movie, that it was too short, but thats how the book was. i dont know maybe i just love will smith..

Elisabeth, I thought the first hour was pretty good, but like I said in my last post, it started to fall apart after that point. I'd say the point where the movie started to lose me was when he complained about the woman and the boy eating his bacon and throws a hissy fit. They just saved his life from the zombies and he's pissed off they ate some of his bacon. That was when the movie started to feel like scenes were missing or something like that. It was almost like a different director took over the movie.

Maybe what was inconsistent was that the Zombies seemed to have intelligence and were planning elaborate traps to capture Smith, yet also being portrayed as brainless wild animals that had only one goal which was to kill any thing that lived.

Not the best movie I have ever seen nor is it the worst. It was OK. Not a waste of time.

Elisabeth, I thought the first hour was pretty good, but like I said in my last post, it started to fall apart after that point.

I second Echo's thoughts- the first hour of the movie was by far the better part. They did an excellent job from a cinematography standpoint; the starkness of a deserted NYC was very effective. I wasn't crazy about the very-obvious cgi animals (excluding his dog), however. Will Smith's portrayal of a man living three years all alone, except for his dog and the zombie/rabies people, was an excellent piece of acting and the only thing that saved the movie for me. Unfortunately, it wasn't enough due to the writing and directing. It did have some edge-of-your seat moments- well, only two, actually...the most effective one being when his dog goes into the dark building and Will's character has to go in and retrieve him. My husband's arm was pretty red from me squeezing it during that scene! The trap scene was an edge-of-your seat moment...but it also ended up being one of the most disappointing ones because of the unbelivability factor (mindless zombie actually is pretty darn brilliant).

I'd say the point where the movie started to lose me was when he complained about the woman and the boy eating his bacon and throws a hissy fit. They just saved his life from the zombies and he's pissed off they ate some of his bacon. That was when the movie started to feel like scenes were missing or something like that. It was almost like a different director took over the movie.

I actually kind of understood that scene...here is a man who has been basically alone for three years and has lost most of his social skills because he has only been talking to his dog-who has become like his child- and store mannequins. At the time, He seemed to be coming out of the shock of seeing actual live, non-zombie people for the first time in a long time and wasn't too adept at handling it. He's been in charge of his home, his life, and, in fact, all of NYC for the last 3 yrs and all he can focus on is that this girl cooked his bacon that he had ear-marked for a future meal.

Maybe what was inconsistent was that the Zombies seemed to have intelligence and were planning elaborate traps to capture Smith, yet also being portrayed as brainless wild animals that had only one goal which was to kill any thing that lived.

This is actually one of things that killed it for me too- they make the "leader of the pack" zombie intelligent enough to set up traps for Will's character, but then he is also portrayed as brainless at the same time

because he can't understand that Will is trying to help him near the end of the movie.

It just didn't fit. The second thing that killed it was

how Will was rescued by the girl...tons of zombies, one light (from who knows where) and voila! she swoops in and drives him off to his apartment...I'm sorry but nothing should be that easy if you're surrounded by a boatload of mindless zombies.

There were several other implausible parts (

the tall wall built around the sanctuary up in the mountains, for example. The girl states to Will's character that the sanctuary is up in the mountains of Vermont because its too cold for the zombies...but we still see a tall wall built around the sanctuary. Maybe the non-zombie humans are just being extra careful, but we, the viewers, already know it won't do them much good for them anyway seeing as we've already seen that those "mindless" zombies can swiftly climb up tall NYC apartment buildings in the blink of an eye...which you'd think the non-zombies would already be privy to since they've survived for three years amongst them already...and I guess Will's character isn't that important- I mean, just hand the girl a vial of blood for the virus cure and assume that there'll be another scientist who has the abilities to make a humungous vat of the stuff...who needs Will anyway, right? geez.

As a stand-alone perspective on how a man copes and survives as the only (sane) person left in NYC, it's a pretty good flick. Cue in the zombies, however, and you might as well check your brains at the door too.

I liked this movie for nothing but entertainment value.

It was a cross between CASTAWAY and 28 days/weeks later.

The only drawback for me was to have more of the story as to what happened that lead up to the practical inhalation of the world

saw this last nite. i thought it was a great movie, but i think they could have explained the downfall of new york and the population a bit better.....in his flashbacks, things could have been explained a little bit more.....imo

I agree. It was a good movie, a little slow at times (definately could have had some more intense fighting scenes). 30 Days of Night was better, but I Am Legend is still good.

All I have to say though.... is WHY THE DOG!? Grrrrr.

no kidding about the dog! wtf were they thinking?!

I'm waiting til it comes out on DVD.

Elizabeth Wrote:

I thought Will Smith did an AMAZING job, couldn't imagine it with anyone else.

For some strange reason that I can't explain, I was thinking maybe Charleston Heston might have done a good job if he was 30 years younger. :)

Meh it was alright!!!! The first half hour or so is pretty boring it is a bunch of walking, driving around, talking to himself just kind of boring it picks up a little towards the end. I actually liked the ending I thought it was the best part even though many hated it. I would watch it again maybe once but nothing special here in my book.

this movie has now given me nightmares.......i see those darn dark seekers in my dreams! (although the other nite, i found if you give them a bologna sandwich, they won't eat you!)

This one didn't scare me as much as it just blew my mind.

Seeing the human race fall to far was freaky, and the first scene in the dark was one of the most suspenseful things I've ever seen.

I agree Justin, it definately wasn't scary. But after we watched it, my fiance was like.... "so if we hear of a cure for cancer........"

Movies like that make you think, don't they.

And I do hate that dog scene.... :lipsrsealed2:

I have a grandmother fighting Breast Cancer for I'm fairly sure.. the 3rd time..

And a Great Uncle who was just undiagnosed with Leukemia and walking out I was afraid of a cure.

Though that woman was dumb for trying to cure it with a virus.

They had a show on the History channel the other night about life after people. It was kinda cool. They explained how nature will make a comeback if suddenly humans vanished off the face of the earth. The scenes of New York, covered in plant growth, reminded me of this film.

Sign in to follow this