Starting Over

Guest conniejoe

Guest conniejoe

Anyone else watch this show? I never used to like it, and actually watched it by accident one day a while back. Now I'm hooked!!!

I just saw Rachel's graveside ceremony for her dead parents. It was very moving. This girl has definitely come a long way. I didn't like her at all in the beginning. I thought she was a confrontational bully. But she has grown alot and I can't wait to see her meeting w/ her real father.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I too watch this show CJ... and I'll have to not look at this thread until after I've seen the eppy... LOL, it's not on until 2 pm here.

I miss at times but, I'm have the link on my "favorties" list so, I always read what I've missed.

I'm looking forward to today's show and I agree with you Rachel has never been one of my favorite's but she's growing on me. :D

I'll let you know what I thought of the "services" laterz.

Guest conniejoe

For those of you who want to check this show out, here are the current ladies in the house.

hp223119000040.jpgAllison is battling breast cancer and has had a mastectomy. She hides behind a smiling mask. She wants to embrace life and live beyond her cancer.

hp399060000037.jpgBethany lost her memory following encephalitis when she was a teenager. She suffers from chronic headaches and a poor body image. Suspicions abound that there was a tramatic event that caused her amnesia.

hp399120000038.jpgCandy is obsessively controlling and cannot express her feminity. She had a rough childhood and was a mother figure to her siblings. She has carried those responsibilities into adulthood with her own family and at work where she is a corrections officer at a prison.

hp219460000034.jpgCassie is a recovering alcoholic, desperately wanting to reconnect with a son who she gave up for adoption. In addition, she is struggling to get her GED and build her self-esteem.

hp946404000036.jpgRachel lost both her mother and step-father to cancer at a young age. She wants to reconnect with her real father and take charge of her life.

hp024696000039.jpgVanessa has trained in gymnastics since she was a child but failed to make the Olympics and appears to have given up on herself. She depends solely on her boyfriend for direction.

I watch Starting Over!! I didn't know that anybody else around here did too. I started watching it last summer, when they aired a repeast of the previous season and I got really into it. I really enjoyed the show when Kim, Jennifer, Sinae, Towanda and Josie were on. The women who're in the house right now are just a bit blah...or perhaps I'm just losing interest or patience. I think it's ludicrous that 20 year old girls are "starting over"!! Isn't that a bit young? I feel that the show would have more credibility if they focused on women who were above 30 and had actually had real life experiences and were committed to the process. I find that the older women tend to take the process more seriously than the younger women. Just my opinion...

Guest conniejoe

Mango - I agree that the older women have more pronounced and difficult problems. Right now they have 3 older and 3 younger women. I think they put the younger ones in there for turnover reasons. Now I'm not belittling the young womens' troubles, but due to the fact that they have less years to mend, it's a faster process.

I believe that production wants new faces in there at certain intervals to retain fresh interest in the show.

I am very excited that Cassie has finally graduated. She had such a tough road, with many heartbreaking disappointments (i.e., not passing her GED after two attempts and a letter from her son who she gave up for adoption saying he didn't want her contacting him). Despite this, she has prevailed in becoming a whole woman.

I can't wait to see who they get to replace her.

You know, conniejoe, I think we may be the only people who see Cassie as a stronger person and think that she has come a long way - if you go to the SO Message Boards you will see how much people hate her and all the mean things they say about it. It is quite upsetting, which is why I don't post there. I wish Cassie had accomplished all that she's set out to do though, meeting her son and passing her GED. I don't understand why SO couldn't get her a Math tutor after she'd failed Math twice....

I think the reason for keeping younger women is a simple one...they are afraid to alienate their younger viewers who may not be able to relate well to the older women. I have nothing against that, but there should be a cut-off age....like 30 and above or something....

Guest conniejoe

Mango - I do post over at SO. And I agree that Cassie has gotten a bad rap. I think she has come so far, despite all the obstacles that would completely disable the average person. I admire her courage and hope only good things for her in the future.

As for the younger viewers, you are probably right. But I still believe there's an additional reason for putting 20-somethings in the house. Like I said, their problems are much easier to solve. Thus, they can get move them out of the house quicker and get fresh faces in.

Someone else is supposed to graduate at the end of this week. Who do you think it will be? My guess is Rachel!

I never did warm up to Cassie... but, I will say the last two days she was on the show that I at least wished the best for her and I really hope all the positive thoughts she editorialized are truely within her. She has had a hard life and I hope all the best for her.

Rachel, this young lady has had me baffled more than a time or two. I like her, I don't, I like her, I don't, I like her... that's where I am now. And, I hope that we get to see what is up with this "aunt" of her's. To me the most intrgueing part of the Rachel story is just what this family has been doing to this child/girl/your lady/woman. Whatever the outcome, Rachel deserves to know the truth of it all... and I hope that she gains strength from what she is seemingly to find out. I think it's going to be a hard road to come to terms with "how" her family "loved and supported" her. From what we know so far, my heart goes out to a child that was treated this way...

Guest conniejoe

CeCiMom - You've got me thinking now. As I said above, I've considered that it's Rachel who will graduate but, you know, it may be Candy.

Today there was a group session, and both Candy and Rachel gave the "growth" answer....the type of answer a person gives who has found their way.

I definitely think Rachel needs closure on some family issues. I'm dying to know what her aunt is really about and I don't think we've seen Rachel's real father yet. So, maybe there's still some things to iron out w/ her.

Now Candy, on the other hand, may have come full circle. She's looking more feminine and has let her kids decide their own destinies. It just might be her time. (I hope not though, because she's my favorite right now. I identify so much w/ her strong family values.)

I agree conniejoe, Candy is the most likely one to leave. I am not ready for Rachel to leave yet...there are still too many questions that remain to be answered....why did her aunt do what she did, why did they keep her away from her father, when will they meet up...etc. Oh, and Vanessa's boyfriend is really a piece of work isn't he? :?

Guest conniejoe
Yeah, Vanessa's b/f is a controlling SOB. Hopefully, during the time V spends in the house, she will come to realize it and lose that sorry excuse for air.

Guest conniejoe

Current updates:

CASSIE finally graduated from the SO house. She has been replaced w/:

wp788826000041.jpg TESS - 30 yrs old; got even w/ her philandering husband by cheating on him as well. Now, she's searching for a better way to live.

Also, CANDY just graduated last Friday. It was a real tearjerker and I went through a box of Kleenex! Monday we will be introduced to a new housemate. Also, it looks like Rachel will meet her real father next week.

Guest conniejoe

I think the other girls are a little envious of Tess because she appears to have the total package, at least visually. Tess complained of needing to loose weight which she referred to as baby fat. I think that really got to Allison and Bethany who have major weight issues and would kill to look like Tess.

Rachel has called Tess on her superficialness more than once since they share a room. Tess wants everyone to feel sorry for her and she can cry on a dime, but it's a mask. She's going to be a touch nut to crack, I think, because her exterior facade is so perfect.

Wow, thank you! I missed the first half of today's show and was surprised to see a new housemate - why is she there? I also heard Iyanla say that Tess knows all the right words to use because she knows all about self help etc. So I agree that she knows how to talk the talk but that will make it hard to decipher whether or not the exercises are having any impact on her in terms of growth.

Guest conniejoe

The newest housemate is KAREN:

She's 51 yrs old. She was abused as a child and has never told her mother. She was promiscuous w/ "bad boys" prior to marriage. But when she finally settled down, it was a sexless marriage for the most part but she felt "safe" and settled for that. She has two daughters. Most recently she had a affair (for 2 years) w/ her doctor. Her youngest daughter discovered the affair, which has hurt their relationship.

This woman is a real mess. But she opened up right away and was painfully honest. She will be VERY interesting to watch.

Now, as for Tess. She's like an actress. We haven't even begun to know who she really is yet. It's very frustrating in a way because she says EXACTLY what the life coaches want to hear but it's just not genuine.

Thanks, great summary! I can't believe that Karen is only 51...she looks so much older (I guess I come from a family where people don't age fast...LOL). I saw her lying down in dirt and was shocked by Iyanla's technique!! :shock: She does seem to be a bit of a mess (no pun intended!)....

It will be interesting to see Tess' progress and I am also eagerly anticipating the day when Vanessa finally realizes that both her boyfriend and her brother have been using her!! :x

I think vanessa's problems will take a while. She has been told what to do, when to do it, and who with since the day she stepped into the gym. She is like a baby who is just starting out, not knowing how to CHOOSE people as friends and confidents. As an athlete who only made it to nationals, when I finally chose what "I" wanted to do, I was disowned by my mother. It is a hard road when everyone pins THEIR own hopes and dreams on you and you do not come through for THEM. You've not only let yourself down, you have let your family, your team and any other fan down as well.

Guest conniejoe

I agree w/ your assessment of Vanessa, Chatterbox. It will be a long road for her. She has always been dependent on her parents, coaches, team, etc. To embrace the realization that she can and must make her own choices in life will be a difficult process.

On a side note, are you saying you were/are also an athlete? If so, do you mind me asking what sport you concentrated on?

I was a swimmer...up at 4 in the morning to be in the pool by 5. Out of the pool at 7 to be at school by 8. Out of school to be at the pool at 4:30 for weight training and there until 7:30. I started at the age of 5 and rebelled my sophomore year of high school. I met a lot of people, and enjoyed most of it. But the farther you go, the harder it is to get out.

OMG chatterbox...sounds tough for a kid! I can hardly imagine how much motivation, perseverance and discipline goes into competitive sports.... It sounds like you really know what it means to try to live up to other people's expectations of you, kind of like Vanessa. I hope things are better for you now. :)

It was a long time ago as I am ready for my 25th High School reunion!!! Sports is a wonderful equalizer for kids. Many things, such as perseverence, are learned from it. For me, it was great until I tried to quit that year. But after playing volleyball competitively for another 20 years, it was worth the crossover.

I have a 6 and 4 year old that are currently in sports, including being on a USA year round swimming team. It is different for them as I have the rule that they must start what they have asked to do but they can do whichever sports they want. Multiple sports (ie: currently the 6 yr old is swimming and playing little league and the 4 yr old is in gymnastics, swimming and soccer) are great at this age since you then don't do any one particular type of damage to the kids. I am a FIRM believer in the discipline and the need of sports in kids lives. Mine have at least an hour of sports each day for fitness (this includes days that are for fun such as bikeriding/hiking/playing with their buddies). Later, when they are older, they can choose which sport they want to concentrate on.

Side note...realize, my kids are in kindergarten and preschool so I have extra time for this.