Samantha Who?

I'm going to check it out tonight because I like several of the actors that will be on the show.

Is anyone planning on watching?

Courtesy of: TV GUIDE, TV SHOW BLOGS

Samantha Who?

by Adam Schubak

Episode Recap: The Wedding

Around this time every year, I have some important decisions to make. In order to maintain a healthy social life, I have to begin to whittle down my list of must-see shows and drop a few from my viewing schedule. I've already given up on Chuck and based on the amount of episodes stacking up on my DVR, it looks like Reaper may be the next to go. Although I enjoy those shows, my interest in them just isn't strong enough to keep me coming back week after week. Samantha Who, on the other hand, has quickly become 1 show that I can't bare to miss (aside from the fact that I blog about it for you fine people!) With each new episode, I've become invested in the characters and their funny little quirks and I can't wait to see what they'll be up to as the series plays out. Now for my recap:

At the start of this week's show, Sam's dirty past was continuing to catch up with her. Her answering machine was full of nasty messages ranging from "We had to drain the entire pool because of you!" to "You knew I was allergic to peanuts!" My imaginative little brain had quite the time thinking up the situations that could have led to those comments. Before getting all My Name is Earl on us, Samantha simply changed her outgoing message to nice long "Soorrrrrryyyyy!" and chose to fix her past mistakes as the situation called for it. That moment came pretty soon after when Samantha showed up to be the bride's maid at a wedding she had been disinvited from. Apparently our sweet Samantha took bets on how long the marriage would last and that didn't exactly please the bride-to-be. With BFF Dina at her side, she set out to make amends for her wrong-doing. It turned out that the rest of her posse was there for the wedding as well. Todd was hired as the photographer and Andrea was there trying to buddy up to the family hoping to join them on their next yachting adventure. When she tried to explain her amnesia to the bride, old Samantha had already tried that excuse 4 years earlier.

When Sam finally convinced the bride to forgive her, old Sam reared her ugly head again when she ditched Dina to party with her new friend. Poor Dina got stuck cutting up steak for an elderly relative while Sam came a bit closer to rekindling her romance with Todd. Later, as Sam got to know her old friend again another chunk of her memory filled in. Turns out she had actually convinced her friend to cheat on her fiance the night of her engagement justifying it by saying "It's only bad if you get caught!" Meanwhile, a drunk and rejected Dina sought consolation from Todd. Now that Sam was back in good graces with her old friend, she was asked to make a toast to the bride and groom. Her attempt to make a nice speech about marriage being a chance to start fresh became an all-out confessional where everyone involved in the wedding party spilled their dirty secrets. When Sam made a run for the exit to find Dina and flee the scene, Dina had already gone and it seemed that all hopes of her getting back with Todd had been dashed. Back at square one! Sam went back to her hotel room to find Dina but found her parents showering together instead. She went over to Dina's house to apologize to the one friend who never held a grudge and the two enjoyed a nice cup of cocoa. The episode ended with Todd reviewing the wedding pictures, deciding whether or not to delete Sam from the album (and his life.)

I thought this was another strong episode. In the earlier episodes I was liking Andrea more than Dina and hoped to see more of the devil than the angel. This week I completely flip-flopped. I really enjoyed the small doses of Andrea and loved the awkwardness of Dina. Walking out of the wedding proved her to be more than just the dimwitted sidekick I had tagged her as. She's not going to be the butt of all the jokes as the loser hanging out with the cool kids. I also liked the limited use of Jean Smart. I was starting to agree with the comments that her character could be a bit over the top and this week was the perfect dosage. Can't wait for next week!

Memorable Moments:

-Dina trying to bond with Todd recalling the times they hung out in the hospital while Sam was in the coma: "Remember that mean clerk at the hospital gift shop? What was her deal?"

-Mama Newly desperately wanting to remodel her bathroom. What's with her obsession with home makeovers?

-Andrea's comment as the wedding became chaotic: "On the plus side, at least I won the pool."

-Best line of the episode: "Step off beyotch or I'll cap yo' ass! I have no idea where that came from...I just meant to say 'Yes, me too!'"

Posted by Adam Schubak 10/30/07 12:33 AM

• 2 weeks later...

I totally pissed at each and every one of you who did not tell me about this new Christine Applegate series. Thankfully, no thanks all you miserable low lifes, I managed to stumble in this TV series by accident. I would have gone off the deep deep end if I missed even a second of this show. :animated_bouncy:

There isn't a more talented actresses on TV; she is extremely funny.

Post #1000 here at Morty's Bar and Grill.

Echo, I posted about this show even before it started and have been posting about it ever since.

I'm sure if you look at my profile page, you will see it.

I agree, great show!!

Sorry you have missed watching this show echo.....its pretty good. Hopefully you'll get to see the re-runs! I love the episode a couple of weeks ago when she was uninvited to a wedding. :) btw echo.....if you look you will see that we've been posting on the Samantha Who thread lol ;)

OK.... It looks like I over looked the other thread; my mistake. The Evil Darth Mods can clean up this mess I made, but I hear that they are off fighting battles against another Evil Empire's Darth Mods who launched covert attack to bring the entire Internet universe under their evil control. ;)

It does look like you guys are more on the ball than I thought, still I don't know if I can forgive anyone for not telling me, I mean it is Christina Applegate!!! :animated_bouncy: I can't believe I overlooked this series. Man, Chistrina Applegate is the best of the best as far as I'm concerned. The very first time I saw her was on guest appearance on Friends as Rachel's sister "Amy". Before then I had no idea who she was because I STILL have not seen a single episode of Married with Children. Applegate's two appearance on Friends rank as my all time favorite episode of any TV series. I still have the original broadcast on TiVo. No actress has better comedic timing than she does.

Wow echo...sounds like you just might have a little-tiny crush on Christina. ;) lol Anyways, this is a pretty good series. She is a good actress. If you go to the other thread it has a recap of the wedding episode Dade posted. :)

pssss...I'm just teasing you echo ;)

TCS, I really don't have a crush on her, I very sincerely think she is one of the very best comedic actress I have seen in a long time. She reminds me of Julia Duffy from Newhart. Both are nice looking, but it their comedic acting abilities that impresses me. Applegate extremely good, she might not have the range of British actress Tracy Ullman, but both are a very select group of actresses that can do comedy extremely well.

The one where Rachel's Sister babysits

The one with Rachel's other sister

joyami, sorry I didn't mean to step over the thread you started, maybe once the Evil Darth Mods are done fighting the Clone Wars elsewhere in the Internet Universe, they can move these messages over to the thread you started. :animated_bouncy:

So far the ratings have been very good Echo and I also hope it is renewed.

She is a great actress and I love her. Have you seen the comedy "Don't tell mom the babysitter is dead"? She's in that and hysterical. Cute movie.

I'm happy you found a place to down load the show echo! :animated_bouncy: All is happy again in Mortyville ;) !

I too would like to see this show renewed.

joyami wrote:

She is a great actress and I love her. Have you seen the comedy "Don't tell mom the babysitter is dead"? She's in that and hysterical. Cute movie.

I have just added that movie to my Netflix cue. Thx

I probably should also add "Married with Children". For some reason I have never seen a single episode of that series. When it was on Fox I didn't like the promos for the show, so I never watched it. It seemed to me, and I could be wrong, it was updated version of the Honeymooners except with kids. I personally don't like shows there the husband and wife insult each other all the time; for whatever reason I don't like that kind of humor, and I don't like to watch it.