Episode 4.05: The Constant (Desmond-centric)

Dade

Courtesy of; SPOILERFIX

Episode 4.05: Title Unknown (Desmond-centric)

Airdate: March 2008

• 10/02 - RAY: 40s-50s, any ethnicity, psychiatrist, cold, professional type who can do what's necessary to get the job done. ALFRED: 40s-50s, Caucasian, British, cool and calm under pressure, knows his place in society and knows how to handle members of the upper classes. BANNERMAN: Mid 40s, any ethnicity, narcoleptic, can fall asleep at the drop of a hat, but has an important piece of information to tell. A very smart technician by trade. BILLY: Mid to late 20s, Caucasian, British, a good buddy to have, willingly to listen but won't take too much gruff before he'll knock you in line. FOLEY: 40s - 50s, any ethnicity, British, physically fit, tough task master, unrelenting. A performance reminiscent of R. Lee Ermey in "Full Metal Jacket". LARSON: Late 20s - 30s, any ethnicity, smart, dangerous but capable of charm and humor. Tough military type. Follows orders and doesn't question them. Possible recurring character. KEAMY: Late 20s - 30s, any ethnicity, dangerous, physical - a great tactician, loyal friend and the last enemy you ever want. Military type. Follows orders and doesn't question them. Possible recurring character. Source: Lost Spoilers
  • 10/02 - 4.05 could be Desmond-centric. Lost of British soldier types. Also in the eps and possibly recurring, Ray, a coldly professional psychiatrist. Source: secretagentman @ TWoP

• 3 months later...

Courtesy of: SPOILERFIX

Episode 4.05: The Constant (Desmond-centric)

Airdate: February 28, 2008

• 01/19 - Even though episode 5 is a Desmond episode, one of the boaties, Jeremy Davies, appears in the episode as a professor of physics at Oxford. Source: DocArzt's Lost Blog

Source: abcmedianet.com

• 2 weeks later...

"The Constant" sneak peeks:

Sneak peek 1

Sneak peek 2

:o

LOST just keeps getter better and better...I LOVE THIS SHOW!!

I must digest it a little more before posting more of my thoughts but

HOLY GUACAMOLE!!! Was this not the BEST....EPISODE....EVER???

Hmmm...Desmond with short hair...mmmmmm....alone should make the best episode yet. Psalms is still my favorite, but this wa damn close (much better than last week).

At the end of the day, if he and Penny do not get back together I will smoke monster on the writers :)

Not to give anything away, but Charlotte is making Juliette look better and better.

Courtesy of: TV GUIDE, TV SHOW BLOGS

Lost

by Trish Wethman

Episode Recap: "The Constant"

Hello all! This is Mickey O'Connor here ("here" meaning New York City in 2008, I think), filling in for Trish, who has apparently gone time-traveling again, and who better bring me back a New Coke from 1985! In the meantime, I'll try to keep things up to the standards you expect around here. Bear with me, brothers!

Just in case you were already getting bored with that whole "will it be a flashback or flash-forward episode?" conundrum, fear not. "The Constant" introduced yet another narrative element to keep us on our toes. Yay

Lost: "The Constant" Review

Desmond goes for a quantum leap in this brilliant episode.

Source: IGN, Chris Carabott

February 29, 2008

"The Constant" will be remembered as a pivotal turning point for Lost as a series. For a moment, let's put aside the fact that this was a brilliantly executed hour of television and discuss the implications this episode has on the series. Thus far, the science fiction element of Lost has been kept relatively in the background. Make no mistake, Lost is a science fiction show, but could anyone who doesn't watch the show on a regular basis be faulted for thinking otherwise? There have been elements of sci-fi sprinkled throughout the series but they've been relegated to the background and are a part of the core mystery of the island. "The Constant" changes all of that and brings a key science fiction concept to the forefront. From this point on, we know time travel exists in the Lost universe. It isn't shrouded in mystery and it isn't up for debate. Desmond's consciousness did travel to the past and that is how Penny knew that she would receive a phone call from him on Christmas Eve.

I can't help but think that handled differently, "The Constant" could have been a complete failure. The writers did a fantastic job of balancing all of the different elements of the episode together. They not only introduced time travel as reality ("Flashes Before Your Eyes" merely introduced it as a possibility) but they also had to juggle the Desmond-Penny romance, the introduction of all the new characters on the freighter, the phenomenally executed auction house scene, and the time differential between the freighter and the island. All of this in 44-minutes of television! Don't forget that they also had to explain why Desmond lost his memories and how time travel works in the Lost universe. Make no mistake; this is no easy feat. Carlton Cuse, Damon Lindelof and the always-brilliant Jack Bender deserve all the praise they will get for this masterpiece.

Early in the episode, several new characters are introduced on the freighter and it has to be said that Locke may have taken the right course of action. Every character introduced is creepier and more sinister than the last, with the only exception being the man they have tied down

This last episode probably is my favorite so far. Time Travel, WOW, I wasn't expecting that one.

In the end, it will be very interesting to see how all the pieces fit together. We know it is not a dream, and they all aren't in purgatory, so what is it?

I'm still going with the idea that it is a MMORPG.

I watched all but the last 15 minutes of the episode online. Fell asleep when it aired Thurs. Have no idea how, but having a 6 wk old baby in the house doesn't leave a lot sleep time. So, I turned off what I hear was the best part of the episode. My SO wanted me to wait until it airs this thurs before the new episode since he missed it as well.

From what I did see, I was wondering who will help desmond, sayid, and crazy dude get out of sick bay. Someone guessed Michael. I thought that was a definite possibility!!!

Also that it may explain why Faraday had a caregiver when he was watching the tv and had that breakdown. ...because he keeps collapsing or because he seems insane.

...and that if Locke left the island, he would have the same problem as Desmond due to his exposure to the same electromagnetics

I'm still going with the idea that it is a MMORPG

I'm stupid...what does this stand for?

From what I did see, I was wondering who will help desmond, sayid, and crazy dude get out of sick bay. Someone guessed Michael. I thought that was a definite possibility!!!

This wouldn't surprise me- although the big question if it ends up being Michael would be- Where's Walt?

...and that if Locke left the island, he would have the same problem as Desmond due to his exposure to the same electromagnetics

Good point. From this episode we learned that anyone exposed to electromagnetics, like Desmond, or extreme radiation exposure, like Daniel, can experience these "side-effects" of consciousness time travel. This would then seem to include Locke because he was in the hatch when Desmond turned the fail safe key (Eko and Charlie were there too but are both dead now ):animated_scratchchin:. However, Minkowski stated that he and his buddy went on a boat to explore the island when they both started experiencing the same thing as Desmond (both are dead now as well). So it sounds like just coming in close enough proximity to the island is enough to trigger it? If so, why wouldn't the other survivors experience it as well and why wouldn't Sayid have experienced it on the helicopter too?

It also makes me wonder about Patchy. We saw him "die" at least twice and yet there he was in the water with a hand grenade that ended up in Charlie's demise. Would the reason he was able to do these things have to do with time travel at all?

In addition, it sounds like we may be heading into two different kinds of time travel- consciousness time travel, that is when only the mind travels to their past body, and bodily time travel- where their actual body can travel to different destinations in time. The reason I mention the second is because we know that Ben is able to get off the island bodily and has many different clothing items and passports and by what Miles said to him about "I know what you can do" in regards to getting him 3.2 million dollars. Could they be after him because he is the only one with the know how to do this? What would then happen if past Ben and present Ben actually came in contact with one another (think rabbit experiment)?

Too many questions...my brain hurts...where is my Constant when I need him anyway?...

hAHAHA... my brain hurts too.

Good point. From this episode we learned that anyone exposed to electromagnetics, like Desmond, or extreme radiation exposure, like Daniel, can experience these "side-effects" of consciousness time travel. This would then seem to include Locke because he was in the hatch when Desmond turned the fail safe key (Eko and Charlie were there too but are both dead now )animated_scratchchin.gif. However, Minkowski stated that he and his buddy went on a boat to explore the island when they both started experiencing the same thing as Desmond (both are dead now as well). So it sounds like just coming in close enough proximity to the island is enough to trigger it? If so, why wouldn't the other survivors experience it as well and why wouldn't Sayid have experienced it on the helicopter too?

Sayid has never been exposed so he didn't have any side effects when they passed through this area.

We also don't know the pasts of these scientists. They (like all of rousseau's people that were killed off) could all have easily been exposed at some point. Desmond and Minkowsky got bloody noses ....wonder if this is what happens when people develop the sickness.

MMORPG=Massive Multiplayer Online Role Playing Game

Ah, thank you....and boy, I sure hope not!

We also don't know the pasts of these scientists. They (like all of rousseau's people that were killed off) could all have easily been exposed at some point. Desmond and Minkowsky got bloody noses ....wonder if this is what happens when people develop the sickness.

NK- can you imagine how Danielle would feel if it turned out that she killed her people thinking it was a contagious infection and they were going crazy, only to find out they were just consciousness traveling?! :P The only problem with that theory would be how come Danielle was the only one who didn't? Could it have something to do with her being pregnant at the time?

Added info:

I just read an interesting theory from seat42f.com regarding the presence of water with regards to time traveling. Here's what he/she says:

"I noticed that water played a role in all the mind travel in The Constant. Minkowski on the boat, Desmond in the in the army with the rain and when they first hit the thunderhead in the helicopter ( Cumulonimbus clouds seen during a thunderstorm ) Desmond did his initial mind travel in this episode. Now for the crazy h20 theory. Let's say that water does play a role in facilitating the mind travel. When Desmond goes to see Charles Widmore at the auction Widmore leaves the water running in the bathroom. Hmmmmmm. Me thinks he knows a lot more than he is letting on and maybe even left the water on to "help" or to hurt Desmond with the mind travel. Water running plus book purchases = Widmore is up to something." :animated_scratchchin:

the only thing I can think of to debunk this would be Eloise the mouse. There was no water in sight when Eloise time traveled...I'll have to think about this a bit longer...

Also, here is another interesting tidbit from seat42fto wrap your brain around:

We've Seen Queens College/Oxford Before: Daniel tells Desmond to find him in 1996. The shot we see of the College from The Constant is on top. Seen it before? Look closely at the photo of Ms Hawking and Brother Campbell.

lostcollegeyh9.jpg

lostcatch22monkandmshawxw9.jpg

Living Room

Living Room

Please enter your display name