ROCK STAR: INXS

salter-path

headerinxs0mk.jpg

PREMIERES TONIGHT:

ROCK STAR: INXS, from "Survivor" executive producer Mark Burnett, combines the world of rock music with relationship-style unscripted drama, performance competition and a weekly contestant elimination. The last singer standing will become the lead singer of the internationally renowned band INXS and embark on a worldwide concert tour with the band and be part of the group's new album.

The 15 performers will be housed together in a Hollywood Hills home. Each week will feature taped reality segments focusing on the performers' relationships and activities (Monday episodes), along with a performance competition (Tuesday) and weekly results (Wednesday).

ROCK STAR: INXS will be broadcast three times weekly on CBS beginning with a special one-hour PREMIERE on Monday, July 11 (9:00-10:00 PM, ET/PT), followed by a one-hour broadcast on Tuesday, July 12 (10:00-11:00 PM, ET/PT) and a half-hour edition on Wednesday, July 13 (9:30-10:00 PM, ET/PT).

Beginning the following week, ROCK STAR: INXS will be seen regularly on Mondays (9:30-10:00 PM, ET/PT), Tuesdays (10:00-11:00 PM, ET/PT) and Wednesdays (9:30-10:00 PM, ET/PT

The following are the 15 performers (in alphabetical order):

rockstarcast5dg.jpg

MiG AYESA, 35

London, England (born in Manila, raised in Sydney, Australia)

Musician/Actor

Married

BRANDON CALHOON, 31

Beaverton, Mich. (just relocated to Hermosa Beach, Calif.)

Musician/Recruiter

Girlfriend

NEAL CARLSON, 29

Queens, N.Y.

Musician/Administrative Assistant

Married

MARTY CASEY, 31

Chicago, Illinois

Musician/Real Estate Appraiser

Single

DAPHNA DOVE, 29

Los Angeles (born in Germany, raised in New York City)

Musician/Legal Secretary

Single

J.D. FORTUNE, 31

Oakville, Ontario (originally from Nova Scotia)

Musician

Single

DEANNA JOHNSTON, 36

Reseda, Calif. (originally from Kingston, Ontario)

Musician

Married

SUZIE McNEIL, 28

Toronto, Ontario

Musician

Boyfriend

DANA ROBBINS, 30

Studio City, Calif. (originally from Las Vegas)

Musician/Dancer/Yoga Instructor/Bartender

Single

JESSICA ROBINSON, 25

Chicago

Musician/Barista

Engaged

HEATHER LUTTRELL, 27

Atlanta

Musician/Painter

Single

WIL SEABROOK, 28

Pasadena, Calif. (originally from N.C.)

Musician

Engaged

TARA SLONE, 31

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Musician/Actor

Single

TY TAYLOR, 36

Las Vegas (originally from Montclair, NJ)

Musician/Actor

Single

JORDIS UNGA, 22

St. Paul, Minn.

Musician/Bartender

Boyfriend

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok I watched. Some talented singers. I think Marty sounded most like the original singer than the rest. When trying to revive a band, continuity is important. INXS was never one of my favorite bands though I did like a couple of songs from them when I was in middle school. I'm not too sure what the purpose of the show is. Maybe the publicity from the show can help them sell CD's by given a hasbeen band some much needed exposure. New singers rarely work out with bands with established sounds.

I highly doubt this show will sucessful at it. I thinks if you were/are a hardcore INXS fan this actually could have the reverse effect. I'm probably done with this one.

Guest ranster627

FROM TV GUIDE: The Water Cooler

Rock Star: INXS

Damn you, INXS! You brainwashed nearly every girl I went to high school with into liking guys with Michael Hutchence's long hair and savoir faire. And, in 1987, that sure wasn't me. So I'll admit I had it in for this series from the get-go. Come on... INXS? "Never Tear Us Apart"? Rock lite, maybe; not really rock star. But I was wrong, man. Finally, a musical reality show that I can get behind! Sure, Idol had Allman alternate Bo Bice, but he was an anomaly

Guest ranster627

TV GUIDE: The Water Cooler

It's no secret: I wish I were a rock star. Perhaps that's why I've taken to this show like a groupie to an all-access pass. I guess rock stars really don't use "perhaps," though... I'll have to ask Navarro for help with that. In the meantime, while I practice my Ace Frehley poses in front of the mirror, let's run down last night's performers and see if they gave INXS what they need.

Heather: First off, from what perch are INXS watching their prospective singers? From the ambience, it looks like they're reclining in a Marrakech opium den. Anyway... here I thought "Somebody to Love" was going to be the Queen tune. Instead, I have to settle for the Airplane classic, which Heather, in skin-tight leather pants, nails as slickly as Grace herself.

Marty: Mr. Nice Guy takes on "Take Me Out." But why affect a British accent, mate? Sure, it works for Green Day's Billie Joe, but one faux foreigner in rock is enough.

Daphna: Much like Heather's leather, Daphna's Slash-like top hat is very rock. And, man, can this girl shake it. Those moves were straight out of the Pussycat Dolls' repertoire. If this INXS gig doesn't pan out, maybe you should consider calling Carmen Electra. I'm sure Navarro can get you her number.

Suzie: After Monday's lyrical bungle, it's nothing but redemption for Suzie Q, whose enticing interpretation of "Call Me" had me reaching for the phone. But holy skirt! Nothing like giving the first few rows their own private show.

Brandon: Who knew Johnny Damon could sing? Oh, wait... it's just Brando, knocking the timeless "Hard to Handle" right out of the park. He smoked it as well as the Black Crowes ever did, on stage or on their tour bus.

Jordis: It's always dicey when a woman covers a song popularized by a man, and vice-versa. But She of the Natty Dreads gave Nirvana's "Heart-Shaped Box" an urgency it hasn't had since St. Cobain first laid it down during the In Utero sessions.

MiG: This cat doesn't have the most memorable voice, but, damn, does he have stage presence. And, sometimes, nothing else matters.

Deanna: "Should I Stay or Should I Go?" Based on her pigtails alone, I'm all for staying. Sure, pigtails might not yell "rock and roll," but they definitely scream "hot." Add Deanna's ability to put a little bit of soul into this Clash classic and you have one of the night's best performances.

Wil: Jesus Jones help him, cause I fear he's gonna need it after that sleepy-eyed version of "Right Here, Right Now."

Jessica: Did she sing? 'Cause all I see when Jess performs is a big neon sign blinking S-E-X. Easily the best stage presence of all the ladies. She's so dangerous on-stage, she scares me.

Tara: Throw down some sawdust and bring in the line dancers; this just turned into Country Star. Really, why would the producers throw the Eagles' "Take It Easy" into the song pool? To trip up a contestant? Fortunately for Tara, she didn't let herself get entangled in the twang.

Neal: Shirts are for the weak, and seldom do they have a place on stage. Look no further for proof of this than Neal, who tests this Axiom of Rock as he tears through CCR's "Fortunate Son."

Ty: All right! Ty's going to belt out "Heartbreaker." Finally, some Zeppelin! Oh... it's Pat Benatar's "Heartbreaker." Grrrr... Still, the mohawked man kicks it with another near-manic performance. And I mean that in a good way.

J.D.: Ever wonder what it'd sound like to hear Elvis sing "California Dreamin' "? Wonder no more, man. Sorry, but I just can't shake the idea that J.D. leads a double life as an E.T.A. (for the uninitiated, that's "Elvis Tribute Artist"). There's just too much swiveling going on for me

It is really good, so unlike what I expected. I guess I was expecting it to be like American and Canadian Idol but NO WAY, it was a thousand times better. They are all really good, even the ones who aren't as good as the best ones (if that makes sense) top that off with Dave Navarro and INXS, I am in musical ecstasy at the moment. The rocker girls are really blowing me away and they all get up and not only sing but dance like rockers do and they are just totally phenomenal.

I was worried there that Dana was going to make it because of Suzi forgetting the words to her song and that guy going over board but thankfully the fact that Dana sucked THAT bad she was the one to go.

I cannot believe I almost wasn't going to watch this show!!!! We got to vote last night and thankfully you could vote more then once because I was stuck!!! WHO to vote for from that awesome bunch??!! I voted for Jordis, Ty and Heather. Threw a couple to Suzi and Deanna as well. I don't likeWill as much as the rest so hopefully he'll be the one going home tonight.

I LOVE THIS SHOW!!!!!!!

Guest ranster627

It's the first official elimination show, which the superfluous Brooke Burke calls "The INXS Decision." Is that like the Spanish Inquisition? It certainly sounds that ominous. Especially for Elvis' hyperactive twin J.D., who is getting called out by the band. Sayonara, bro. But, wait... INXS is asking for an encore? The Aussies liked Tuesday's "California" nightmare?! Man, I was near certain that Elvis would be leaving the building tonight. Shows what I know. Still, the bottom three aren't that surprising: Tara, Wil and Suzie. Let's see how they do performing actual INXS songs.

Tara lands "New Sensation." In my opinion, one of INXS' best, if only for that opening line: "Live, baby, live!" If I had a dollar for every time I shouted that... But it's just not working for me. I feel like I'm at some club watching a cover band. Maybe the Coors Original on my coffee table has something to do with that.

I was hoping all three contestants would have to perform the same song; then we could really tell who rocks. But that's not the case. I guess the producers doubt our attention span. So Wil is saddled with "Need You Tonight." He sounds better than Tara, but he's clearly not into it. And again, he's singing only to the girls in the front row! Enough already, Casanova. You'll never win over the people with lawn tickets when INXS hits the amphitheater circuit next summer.

Finally, someone steps up! Suzie's version of "Never Tear Us Apart" is spot-on. However, I think she might consider getting tested for Rimes Disease, 'cause she's sounding just like LeAnn to my ears. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Time for the bloodletting! Tonight's Pete Best is... Wil, who's just too pretty to be a dirty Dionysian rocker. And don't you just love how guitarist Tim Farriss reinforces the name of his group when he gives Wil the bad news: "You're just not right for our band (pause), INXS." Timmy, we know. As for you, Wil, don't feel bad. Abercrombie will be calling soon.

Guest ranster627

Make no mistake, this show caught me like the hook from "Jumpin' Jack Flash." But for the love of Keith Richards, I can't figure out why CBS feels we need three nights of it. Last night's "clinic" episode was about as necessary as the 20-minute drum solo I nodded off to during a Poison gig in '89. But then again, a clinic may be something with which the winner becomes quite familiar if he/she gives in to the decadence of life on the road.

Speaking of which, check out the spread laid out for the gang in the dining room! It sure ain't no beggar's banquet. And a room full of Gibson guitars for dessert? These wannabes might not be rock stars yet, but they're certainly being treated like them. I was half expecting to see some poor kid weeding out the brown M&Ms from a candy bowl, a la Van Halen's notorious dressing-room request. Instead, I'm startled by the sight of Dave Navarro wearing only pants and a feather boa. And here I thought I was the only one who favored that look. Seriously, is Dave looking more and more like a goth Liberace or is it me?

No doubt the best part of Monday's show was the song selection. I just knew the rockers would eventually get into it over who sings what. And Tara and Deanna haggled over Black Sabbath's "Paranoid" like two fans fighting over Tommy Lee's tossed drumstick. Sure, Deanna graciously gave in, but I bet her struggle in rehearsal with R.E.M.'s "The One I Love" made her second-guess her good will. Honestly? I think she's going to nail it tonight. Sadly, I can't say the same for Tara, who instead of channeling her inner Ozzy for "Paranoid," is coming across more like St. Theresa. Tara, babe, you're really gonna need to summon the devil inside if you want to give that evil hit its due.

I didn't catch the first show but I caught the repeat and I've been hooked ever since. I just would hate to be the final judge in this competition. I find it hard to vote for my favorite because I have so many! One of these talented musicians perform and I think to myself that their performance is my favorite. And then another one takes the stage and I change my mind.

I have to admit that I'm more prone to favor one of the men in the competition but I do have my favorites among the women as well. Here's my short list for the final musical showdown (in no particular order):

Men

MIG

Ty

J.D.

Women

Jordis

Daphna

Tara

i do agree that some have talent, but i dont know what the judges were listenting to when jordis got up there and sang, they said she did good, that was god awful i swear i fast forwarded threw her whole song just from the first couple of lyrics.

i felt bad for deeana because she didnt get the song she wanted, but it ended up sounding way better than tara(she looked like a skank tonite)i thought i might add that.

these are my favorite men in order from favorite to least.

Ty

Mig

JD

Brandon

Marty

Neal

and the women.....

Deeana

Jessica

Suzy

Daphna

Heather

Tara

Jordice

my favorite of all of them is Deeana and my least favorite of all of them is Jordice

Guest ranster627

Maybe it's the excessive heat here on the East Coast, but I'm just not turned on by tonight's performances. Even Brooke Burke, apparently wearing a studded bra, isn't doing much to lift my spirits. So instead of flipping off everyone's performances, I'll focus on giving the thumbs-up to the five singers I think best represented the essence of rock and roll. After all, I do try to be a pint glass half-full kind of guy. Herewith, I raise my goblet of rock to:

Neal: This guy is the real deal. And he even plays guitar! He's just totally natural. The lambskin to the latex, if you will. Last night's take on "Summer of '69" may have been a bit ragged, but it was oh-so-right. Both Bryan Adams and Ryan Adams should take note.

J.D.: I haven't been exactly enthusiastic over J.D. thus far, but he's changed my mind. I always felt that every great performance should give you chills, if only for a brief instant. I call it the "chill moment." J.D.'s inventive arrangement of Alanis' "Hand in My Pocket" was last night's chill moment, hands-down.

Tara: Get out the holy water. Sometime between her rehearsal of "Paranoid" and the actual performance, Tara must have become possessed, cause she sang the hell out of this Sabbath classic. Tara, I give you the devil-horns salute.

Jordis: Picking Hoobastank's "The Reason" was a super-risky move

Guest ranster627

I guess a reality show without drama is kind of like a Doors reunion without Jim Morrison: Neither can be taken seriously. So in an attempt to keep it Real (World), this show is exploiting J.D.'s sycophantic comments Tuesday night for some tension. Sure, he kind of dissed his mates by implying they didn't know the INXS catalog, but he's trying to be a rock star, and arrogance is as essential as drunken, incoherent mumbling. Just ask Liam Gallagher. The real question, however, is will the guys in INXS want a lead singer who's been painted as a backstabber by their own show? That doesn't really spell "comeback," does it? Anyway, on to the bottom three.

Neal, my early pick to win, is in danger of being sent home! What's with that? Looks like somebody besides Pete Townshend has tinnitus, and I reckon it could be me. Still, Neal's vicious performance of "Suicide Blonde" has frontman written all over it. Is it in tune? Who knows? I'm too mesmerized by this guy's stage presence to notice.

I'm equally hypnotized by the incandescent bull's-eye on Tara's chest. And so, apparently, is guitarist Tim Farriss, who seems dazed as he watches her put "Mystify" through its paces in an attempt to stay alive. Or maybe he's just trying to solve the mystery of why Navarro never wears a shirt?

Similarly, Jessica, seldom seems to cover up. Not that I'm complaining, but showing all that celebrity skin might work against her from time to time. But now isn't one of those times. O Ye of Little Clothes, you're nailing "Don't Change."

Decision time, and this has to be a tough choice for the boys. All three were right on tonight. But one has to go

UMMMm!!!! Isn't INXS like 100 years old. I mean I like BONO (sp?) for all of his charity work. But I wouldn't want to be a lead singer of a band when everyone is twice my age. Good thing they didn't pick the Rolling Stones...whew...the only tour they would be doing is to retirement homes..LOL!!! :twisted: :twisted:

Not sure about INXS' popularity but you should be so lucky to be part of U2! Nothing stale about U2 no matter what their average age! When you can fill stadiums to capacity and keep your sound inventive and fresh over time, rock on! As long as they make great music, they can arrive on stage with walkers! Not that any of them are even close to that sort of thing! LOL

36_1_27.gif

Well, I'm so old that I remember this band the first time around. LOL! I can still rock 'n roll but now I hear my bones creak along with the music! Here's a little music 411 . . . Bono is either the lead singer of U2 or the ex-partner of Cher! LOL! I'm pretty sure you were referring to U2's front man from the 'charity' clue. Although, if you meant 'Chastity' that would be the other Bono. LOL!

I wasn't a big fan of INXS so I had to do a little research. INXS was formed in 1977 and consisted of Michael Hutchence (lead singer), Andrew Farriss (guitar and keyboards), Tim Farriss (lead guitar), Jon Farriss (drums), Garry Gary Beers (bass) and Kirk Pengilly (saxophone and guitar). INXS began under the name, The Farriss Brothers, but the band changed their name to INXS in 1979, just prior to the release of their self-titled debut album in 1980.

On November 22, 1997, Hutchence was found dead in his Sydney hotel room, an apparent victim of suicide (some speculate his death was actually an accident, the result of autoerotic asphyxiation). Since Hutchence's death, INXS has continued, using Terence Trent D'Arby, Suze DeMarchi and Jimmy Barnes as temporary lead singers. Jon Stevens began singing with INXS in 2000 and was officially named a member of the band in 2002. However, he left INXS in 2003, only recording a song called "I Get Up," released as a single.

This all leads us here in 2005 to the world of reality programming to select a new lead singer and probably drum up a bit of new interest in INXS. I must admit I'm loving the show but not sure how successful they will be in the long run. Just my opinion. I guess we'll have to wait and see what they produce as their first single with the new frontman/woman.

Guest ranster627

Before we begin, let's bang our heads in a moment of silence for the recently departed Neal. What's that? He's not dead? Man, you could have fooled me, what with the way his former rocker roomies were crying over his ouster. Ty actually shed tears, while Heather offered some mystical mumbo-jumbo about Neal being a "light" that will surely be missed. It sounded to me like the kind of stuff psychologist Eugene Landy tried to sell Brian Wilson when he "counseled" him. Even so, Neal's departure did prove that anyone could be deep-sixed. I just never thought he'd be shown the stage door before J.D.

Ah, J.D. I don't know what to make of that guy. On one hand, he's clearly a favorite of the boys in INXS, who are impressed with his stagecraft and arranging abilities. But on the other, he comes across as an impulsive head case, who out of nowhere hits on Jordis and turns all mush-mouthed when he drinks too much. I can't fault him for that though. When I've had one too many hoots from the flask, I start prophesying about God, country and going to war. Or so I've been told.

I'll be sure to have my wits about me for Tuesday night's performances however. Cause I predict some doozies: Brandon's rehearsal of "Tempted" was shaky at best, and J.D.'s arrangement of "We Are the Champions" was alternately referred to as "awful" and "truly awful" by the house band.

But some contestants could deliver the goods, namely Ty, who's aiming for a less-theatrical "Everybody Hurts," and MiG, who has decreed to make "Lola" more "miggy." And being the only Aussie currently in the competition, his MiGness may have the unspoken advantage. Not that he needs it. His gifts of politesse and presence are more than enough to leave the competition down under.

Guest ranster627
Dave from Rock Star is so hot and you all have to wacth the show on CBS itson 3 times a week too its so great i cant get enough of INXS and Dave

these have to be the best songs tonight i love the guys!

I really really really love this show.  I'm so excited that it's on again tonight.  I really hope that Jordis wins...she's so awesome.... we need to get some people kicked off soon... they just can't hang

What happened to everyone last night? It just seemed like there was one bad performance after another! Singers forgetting lyrics, singing flat or off key entirely, some starting their songs in a voice barely over a whisper . . . overall a really strange night for 'Rock Star'!

There were gems among them though. Ty has been one of my favorites from the beginning but his rendition of R.E.M.'s "Everybody Hurts" left me speechless! I found his interpretation haunting. And, once Jordis remembered the lyrics of The Spencer Davis Group's "Gimme Some Lovin," she was her usual amazing self. Great use of the crowd for support.

Suzie and Jessica sang harmlessly enough for my taste although I can't speak of that 'wow' factor. Although Suzie's harmonica riff on "Superstitious" did Stevie Wonder proud. Nice touch to pay homage to vintage Stevie! Jessica tried her hand at a Patti Smith classic, but "Because the Night" seemed no match for her pitch. Mig, also one of my favorites, did his rendition of The Kinks' "Lola" and raised the bar from the previous two performances but still no pizzazz. Brandon's take on Squeeze's "Tempted" was a bit of a disappointment.

Then Ty took the stage with a modified and more subdued mohawk to stun the crowd and viewers at home. We weren't the only ones. Co-Host Dave Navarro said, "I just saw somebody who wants to be a member of INXS." About Ty's performance, INXS' Garry Beers simply stated, "[it's] a great example of what happens when a great singer meets a great song."

Feeling under the weather and a bit emotional, Heather did her best with Sheryl Crow's "If It Makes You Happy." However, the week of being under the weather obviously took a toll on her vocal cords and confidence. Then, we have the dismal performance of "We Are the Champions" by J.D. From the start, J.D. seemed to lose his focus. Instead of following his unique arrangement, J.D. appeared to attempt a true to the sheet music version with little success. J.D. did provide a dramatic and emotional moment when he broke down on stage after spotting a sister he hadn't seen in two years in the audience.

The next forgettable performance was by Deanna who just didn't "Give A Little Bit" on her version of the Goo Goo Doll's hit. Her voice just never reached much above a whisper and showed no power or the strength that INXS keeps asking from her. Daphna looked phenomenal according to Dave Navarro (and me). Her long, billowy white chiffon dress set off by contrasting long black leather opera gloves was fit for the Paris runways. Yet her fashion sense didn't save The Clash's "Rock the Casbah." INXS' Jon Farriss was brutal in his critique, "You just murdered that song."

I'm not sure what Tara can do to impress the judges like she's impressed me. I may be alone on enjoying Tara each week but I think the audience agreed with me on her version of David Bowie's "Suffragette City." After Dave Navarro summed up her performance as "cute," the audience's reaction seemed to tell a different story. Marty met with mixed reviews on his take of Nirvana's "Lithium." Judges comments range from "not your best" to "you pulled it off."

I think I covered everyone. Can you tell I'm really getting into this show? LOL! These are just my opinions on last night's performances and since I'm not a music critic, they should be taken for what they're worth . . . just a music fan's impressions. Hard for me to predict who will be the three facing elimination tonight but my money would be on four singers: J.D., Brandon, Jessica and Heather. Although the voting public loves to keep Tara in the bottom three so I won't risk my bankroll. LOL!

Guest ranster627

After last week's dismal performances, I feared that rock really was dead. Fortunately, last night's show kick-started my heart and renewed my faith in the singers, who finally have me believing that one of them can front INXS. Still, they're not there yet. As another Australian band once sang, it's a long way to the top if they want to rock and roll. Here's the recap:

Jordis: This dreadlocked damsel was clearly not in distress. Au contraire, she totally took control and made the shopworn "Gimme Some Lovin'" sound fresher than it has on classic-rock radio in years.

Suzie: While her stage presence during Stevie Wonder's "Superstition" might not have had Stevie wishing he could see Suzie Q's performance for himself, she did hit the notes, both with her voice and with her harmonica. Sure, she didn't invoke John Popper, or even Elwood Blues, but she knew how to handle her harp.

Jessica: Her most subdued

I miss the show, who got kicked off tonight?

Elle - I haven't seen the show yet but I checked with my East Coast friends and this is the scoop. Are you sitting down? It's a bit of a shock this week. It's ladies night tonight!

Three Rockers Up For Elimination:

Heather, Daphna and Jessica

Jessica sang "Elegantly Wasted" to redeem herself and get back in. However, Daphna and Heather were BOTH told they weren't right for INXS tonight so it was a double elimination! Also, a bit of shock was Dave Navarro apologizing to Marty for his harsh criticism of his performance. So, you guessed it, they called Marty back for the encore! I was so hoping they would call back Ty so we could hear his amazing rendition of R.E.M.'s "Everybody Hurts."

Two Eliminated Rockers:

Heather AND Daphna!

Holy FRICK! omg, I am stunned! Firstly, I can't believe they kicked out 2, and how Jessica wasn't one of them. omg!!!! Thank you so much for the info, I can't wait to tell my friend, she's going to freak! I'm freaking, holy freak!

You should have heard the audience gasp! Most people would agree with you that Jessica needed to go as well but they sent her back for some unknown reason. If you get a chance to see a repeat of the show, I'd be interested in knowing how you'd rate them. I met someone online today who is a real INXS fan so I'm trying to bring her here to Morty's because she has a LOT of information at her fingertips. I'll try to recap in another post but I'm still trying to remember the INXS songs Daphna and Heather sang to get them ousted.