Episode #3: Deal With It!

Baron

Sorry if I am stepping on anybody's toes here, but there's no thread for tonight's episode and I wanted to comment.

First off, Taylor puts her foot in her mouth every episode. Poor girl. I know many dislike her, but I just feel bad for her.

I don't think Mallory deserved the gold star. Yes, she's cute and works hard, but so do a lot of people. I'm up in the air on Greg, but if not him, maybe the other girl who was in contention. But, really, the gold star awards are unfair. How are some of the kids even going to have a chance? We don't even know the names of half of them.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm one of those that dislike Taylor most definitely. She may have been spoiled rotten and pampered by her parents, (that's what it appears), but she might not have been. She might be simply one of those people who think they are entitled and it's all about them. I know a lot of kids are egocentric, but actually kids at her age usually aren't according to all the research on children. And I'm talking about research such as Piaget and Vygotsky, not just pulling stuff out of my hat here. She is absolutely disrespectful to the other kids.

As for the star, agree Mallory didn't really deserve it and I also agree that some kids probably don't stand a chance and that's unfair. Of course Mallory got it because of her birthday. Greg should tell everyone it's his birthday next week. And Mike has some major grudge and anger issues.

I'm not a Taylor fan, by any means but, I actually liked her for the first time this week. Of course it only lasted a moment. I did like that she stood up to the group about their (councils) decision. Sometimes you just have to say, "deal with it"!

I'm less and less a Greg fan. (Not that I was much of one anyways.) I think he should be thrown out off the show but, I realize that's not going to happen. Calling a girl a bitch, posturing like he's going to attack that boy, slamming doors, pushing the little kids around and being a big bully is never going to okay with me.

I thought Mallory completely deserved the gold star and I thought the timing was perfect. She might not be as big as some of the kids but, she's pulling her weight plus helping out the yellow team. She seems to have a good head on her shoulders and the little kids need to know that just because they're not as "strong" as the big kids they have just as much a shot at the gold star as anyone else.

To me the gold star is more than just who is doing the most... but, attitude, cooperation, work ethic, leadership should all be things that are looked at to be awarded this prize. And, Mallory had shown all those qualities... well deserved and great job Mallory.

I don't see how anyone can say Taylor is a normal kid. There is nothing normal about sitting around not doing anything while ordering everyone else around like she's the queen at 10 years old. I don't like her attitude, and can't wait until they get her off the council.

It is just pretty typical behavior of 10 years olds. No big deal. They grow out of it in a year or so.

I do expect there will be a change of council at some point, but I don't know how it will come about.

a few of the kids deserved gold star and no being a Jerk like Greg is not a prerequisit of getting or stopping the getting of it . But I got to think I do believe Mallory deserved it and is just a coincedence that it is her birthday. She may not be doing alot of physical labor but how many 8 year olds or 8 at the time can run a store like an adult and not get taken advantage of . she not only does her job but does it well , and better then many . that is my take on it

While I don't believe the producers tell the 4 kids on council who is most deserving of the gold star, I believe that the producers do highly influence them to spread it around each time. The producers might have simply suggested to them "Look at younger candidates that also worthy". With kids at this age, suggestions coming from authority figures (producers) are perceived as instructions, but with some freedom to pick from a limited set of choices.

Finally...the green team doesn't get stuck as labourers -- yay!

Taylor's tears saved her seat on the council, and she and her team get to be upper class. When they were the cooks, they did nothing, but now that they're upper class, they can 'officially' do nothing.

As far as Greg -- no way do I think he deserved the gold star. Yay for him on the work, but boo on the attitude, buddy. Pot-lid wake-up calls, dragging kids into the street, cursing, slamming doors -- he acted like a little Donato.

I do think Mallory's birthday helped her get the gold star, although I don't doubt she worked hard as well. But it may having been the winning factor over Morgan. Also, I think the council wanted to award one of the smaller kids for a change -- so they know it's not just about who's the strongest. My vote was for Morgan. But I'd vote Mallory over Greg. Greg needs to change his attitude if he wants gold -- consistently, not in spurts.

Greg does the wrong things for the right reasons. Every time he's blown up was because others aren't pulling their weight.

He woke them up with pans and drug them out because they were supposed to be cooking breakfast but some people wouldn't get up. The whole cuss fest was him reacting defensively to being told he was wrong. That's something he needs to work on, but it's hard at his age.

Mallory didn't deserve that gold star. She runs the store because that's her job. Everyone has a job to do and doesn't deserve $20,000 just for doing it. She got it because it was her birthday. Morgan deserved it more than she did.

I have to admit, I don't know why they let that kid face off with that bull like that. That kid could have been killed. It must be a pretty docile bull.

What was also strange was the dust storm scenes. It seems the kids were just running around willy nilly. What if one of the younger ones was lost or stuck?

Oh and who enforces the law? What if Greg doesn't want to go to bed at 9:30? Who will stop him?

I thought Morgan was very deserving of the gold star too. I wouldn't be surprised to see her get one very soon.

As far as Mallory only running the store... she was doing more than that, imo. For example, after the yellow team had the food fight... she was outside cleaning up their mess.

However, I'm willing to concede that Mallory probably got it over Morgan because it was her birthday. They were both deserving but, it being her birthday and her being one of the little kids put her over the edge.

There is no excuse for how Greg is behaving. PERIOD!!! imo

I didn't think that the kid with the "bull" (we'll call him Colton because I think that was his name) is all that big of a deal. It may not have been a bull at all. Cows have horns too. If you noticed, several of the cattle had horns and one is not likely to find that many bulls in a herd. I haven't read a bio on Colton or anything but I got the impression that he is pretty familiar with farms and animals. And yes, he is small compared to the animal but cattle are quite skiddish. Very rarely do they charge a person unless they feel threatened and have no other choice. Mostly they just run away if they have the space, which is what happened here. Especially if a body is running at them. I don't think these kids were in anything more than minimal danger. They were probably more likely to step in a hole and break a bone that way as opposed to being trampled by the cattle. Just sharing knowledge from the farm.

i think that michael should be on the council. he seems to have a good head on his shoulders and a calm personality. while i don't care for taylor, i think that she is just a spoiled kid and doesn't know better. i hope that this experience for her teaches her how to treat other people. you know she'd be the first one to piss and moan that breakfast isn't ready when she's the upper class.

as for greg......yes, he's a hard worker, but he's a cocky teenager who should be told by more than the children to watch his mouth. bet his momma is PROUD of him!! he'd be getting a good a$$ whoopin' from me if he was my kid when he came home!! how disrespectful!!!!

i love jared(is that the kid with the glasses and the dark hair that's NEVER combed? he's a doll!!)

I've begun watching KN on the CBS website and its OK. I think Taylor is a typical 10 year old, but she is willing to make unpopular decisions (microwave vs pizza) based on what's best for the town. Hopefully she takes into account what the others told her about being too bossy. She could learn to be more diplomatic in delivering bad news to the other kids, but I think that comes with more maturity.

I hope that Greg eventually tones down his aggressive attitude and wins a gold star. I also thought Morgan should have gotten it this week and that Mallory got the edge because it was her birthday.

It doesn't appear to me that Taylor is just being a normal 10 year old. There are a lot of 10 year olds on the show, and though we don't get to see their actions I think that if they acted like Taylor we probably would. Of course, that could mean that she's doing a lot of it just for the air-time and attention it gets her. Still don't like her. I personally feel it's ok to dislike a kid just as it's ok to dislike an adult. Some people just rub you wrong. Doesn't mean I want to hurt her in any way, I just don't like her.

Ok, after a second watching I do see how over the top Greg's behavior was, but I can use the same arguement on him that he's an adolescent and it's just his age. A lot of adolescents his age are moody and defensive. That doesn't excuse the cursing, but just like with the Saloon thing I could play devil's advocate here and say he's just mimicking adults. Someone compared him to the Donato's, well, good comparison. He probably learned the language and actions watching other "adults" react. He's also at the age where the whole testosterone, "wounded pride" thing won't let him back down. Yeah, that's macho junk, but it's real. Watch a group of guys his age playing basketball or football. You'll see. Just being DA here, I think he's still responsible for his actions, and this time I've got to agree that the adult crew should have stepped in and intervened. As Sophia, I think, stated, he's bigger and stronger than the rest of them and could lose his temper and hurt a younger kid. And yes, I realize I say Mike has anger and grudge issues. Doesn't mean Greg doesn't too, it just means that I think as long as Mike is on the council Greg has no chance at all of ever winning the Gold Star.

Greg still worked hard, and if that's what the gold star is about he still deserved it. I'm thinking that the gold star may wind up being a way for the council to punish those who they disagree with or those who break rules, and that isn't right. Yeah, some type of law enforcement is needed but they shouldn't turn the gold star into that system.

It is just pretty typical behavior of 10 years olds. No big deal. They grow out of it in a year or so.

hehehehehehhehehehehe, really??? Girls like that normally get WORSE as they reach their teens not better. Taylor is proud of being a princess, and I was happy to see everyone put her in check. She needed the wakeup call.

Though I know they signed a contract, I was not thrilled when that one boy stood in front of the cows or whatever. I could not be a cameraman and not stop that. I am so glad he didn't get a gold star. He's a troublemaker in my eyes, and he should be thankful someone cleaned up all the flour they tossed out.

OK Having grown up on a farm, I have done exactly the same as Colton did... Everyone thinks they are invincible at that age... Doesn't make it right or smart though...

I found this (with the help of Morty) over at EW.com and thought it might make an interesting topic for us here on the forums... Let me know what you all think...

So where do you stand, TV Watchers? Glad the caste system got shaken up (though it does put PPT in with the swells)? Think Greg went too far, even if he did have a point? Would the star ceremony have gone down differently if you were on the council? And finally, which should it have been: pizza or microwave?

I just have been around many 10 year olds over the years, and seen many of them demonstrate bratty behavior and a few years later that bratty behavior has vanished as if was never there, then see them go on to be great friends\neighbors\relatives\parents with kids of their own, and have professional careers that aren't built on getting ahead at the expense of others. Most bratty kids grow out of it. It is a mistake to think that most don't. I always give them the benefit of the doubt because the are only 10.

Echo I have seen many 10 year old bratty kids too... I agree MOST will grow out of it... Some wont... My neice was a VERY bratty 10 year old and she's still bratty today at 28... Her dad gave her anything and everything she ever wanted, and when he recently found someone and fell in love and they decided to move in together, Gina got upset with her Mom (whom she was living with, along with her two children) she started packing up and when her brother asked where she was going, she said to her dad's and Shane said you need to call and make sure it's ok what with Joan living with dad now, she stated matter of factly that if Joan didn't like it Joan could just leave... Granted MOST bratty children aren't still bratty at 28... :)

Well I agree that most kids grow out of by the time they are an adult! :) ....but I still do not agree that they grow out of it in a year or so as you originally stated. The teen years are the worse...

ALTHOUGH I will say I just saw on the Today show (either yesterday or day before) a segment saying that those kids (girls) who talked about others, demanded attn, etc... are the same women who spread rumors, backstab, etc later in life in your circle of friends.