The Next Great American Band

JackieIdol

What are you guys watching to tide you over until AI starts? The producers of Idol are starting this new show that's basically American Idol for bands. Have you guys heard about this? At first I didn't think I was interested but I've seen some ads for it and it looks pretty good! :flags_unitedstates:

Courtesy of; REALITY TV MAGAZINE

The Next Great American Band To Kick Off With Three Two-Hour Episodes

next_band_judgeshost.jpg

In what could become the highest rated show to ever hit Friday night, The Next Great American Band will premiere with three special two-hour episodes. The extended episodes will air on Friday, October 19, Friday, October 26 and Friday, Novever 2 from 8:00-10:00 PM ET/PT. Beginning November 9, the show will air in its regular time period on Fridays from 8:00-9:00 PM ET/PT.

The Next Great American Band is from the producers behind American Idol. Instead of looking for a solo singer, the show

• 2 weeks later...

Courtesy of: REALITY TV MAGAZINE

The Next Great American Band Top Twelve Bands Revealed

rocketnextband.jpg

On the premiere of The Next Great American Band, bands from all genre types auditioned in front of the three judges: Dicko, Shelia E., and John Rzeznik. Host Dominic Bowden introduced the bands. Just like with American Idol, there were good and bad auditions. However, with only one two hour episode focused on the auditions, the show emphasized the good bands.

One other similarity with American Idol is that heartwarming background stories were revealed for many of the bands. Two bands, The Sizzling Happy Family and Northmont, said that they were going to hang it up if they did not get through to the next round. Sadly, neither of the bands made it to the next round. Northmont even got two shots to audition, but they did not meet with approval from the judges either time.

There were inspirational bands like Big Toe and The Muggs, and there were gimmick bands like The Dirty Marmaduke Flute Squad and Zombie Bazooka Patrol, but only twelve bands were ultimately selected for the semifinals.

The top twelve bands were The Clark Brothers, a Bluegrass/Country band from Nashville, TN; Cliff Wagner and the Old #7, a Bluegrass Band from San Pedro, CA; Denver and the Mile High Orchestra, a Big Band/Swing Band from Nashville, TN; Dot Dot Dot, a Modern Rock band from Chicago, IL; Franklin Bridge, an R&B/Soul band from Philadelphia, PA; The Hatch, a Pop/Rock band from Brooklyn, NY; Light of Doom, a Heavy Metal band from San Marcos, CA; The Likes of You, a Pop/Rock band from Los Angeles, CA; The Muggs, a Classic Rock band from Detroit, MI; Rocket, a Pop/Punk band from Los Angeles, CA; Sixwire, a Country band from Nashville, TN; and Tr

Courtesy of: TV GUIDE, TV SHOW BLOGS

by David Steed

Episode Recap: "Auditions"

I have to tell you right up front, that I

Courtesy of: TV GUIDE, INTERVIEWS & FEATURES

Inside Fox's Search for The Next Great American Band

by Anthony Layser

Friday, October 19, 2007

071019johnrzeznik.jpg

John Rzeznik, The Next Great American Band

American Idol producers Simon Fuller and Nigel Lythgoe will plug in the amps tonight for their new music-reality competition on Fox (8 pm/ET). Manifestly titled The Next Great American Band, the series features undiscovered groups of all genres performing tunes and vying for a record deal. Adjudicating the jams will be pop artist Sheila E., Australian Idol's Ian "Dicko" Dickson and Goo Goo Dolls frontman John Rzeznik. TVGuide.com recently got Rzeznik's take on this big-time battle of the bands.

TVGuide.com: What do you look for in a great band?

John Rzeznik: I'm looking for some sincerity and the ability to own a song if it's not yours. If you didn't write it, you've got to make it your own. I'm looking for people that are actually listening to each other play, who aren't too high on their own egos.

TVGuide.com: Will the show involve mostly covers, or can we expect some original tunes?

Rzeznik: That's still up in the air. They had to play originals in the audition, so I hope we'll get to hear some of their original music in the show. Ultimately, you can't be a great band unless you have an identity of your own. You have your heroes you emulate. Mine was Paul Westerberg. The Replacements was all I'd listen to. Slowly, though, you come around and find your own style and your own musical identity.

TVGuide.com: How did the audition process work?

Rzeznik: We watched 60 bands over a three-day period. That was really the hardest part, because you had to whittle that down to 12. It's so difficult to say no, because you're screwing with somebody's dream. At the same time, it doesn't mean that they're a bad band and they couldn't get a record deal if they didn't get picked. It just meant that it didn't feel right. Also, there are great performers in lousy bands, so that also made it difficult.

TVGuide.com: How closely does the show mimic the American Idol format?

Rzeznik: It's the same thing. There are three judges and people vote on the bands. But you can see these bands in local bars around the country. They're not manufactured for the show. There are some genuinely talented people in the bunch.

TVGuide.com: So are you more the Randy- or Simon-type judge?

Rzeznik: Well, Ian is very funny. He's pretty acerbic, but he's not flat-out mean. I've been in a band for 20 years, so I'm just there to give some constructive advice. All I've got to share with anybody is my own experience. I'm not there to bash anybody or sway public opinion. People are going to decide for themselves.

TVGuide.com: Did the Goo Goo Dolls ever participate in a battle-of-the-bands competition?

Rzeznik: Sure, we did those types of things in local bars. You had to get out in front of people. We did a couple, but we really came up out of this underground scene in Buffalo. There was a really vibrant musical underground at the time that we were part of, but we took the initiative and started throwing our own shows. We rented halls and did our own thing and eventually started doing well.

TVGuide.com: Would you guys have done a show like The Next Great American Band when you were starting out?

Rzeznik: It's really difficult to say, because the world is so different now than when we started our band. People aren't into rock stars the way they used to be. Now you have 500 TV channels, video games, DVDs

Light of Doom were adorable and much better than I expected them to be. . . but I don't want my rock 'n roll from anyone who has to sit at the kids table on Thanksgiving.

I actually liked the Clark Brothers a lot and look forward to seeing more of what they're capable of. I hated, hated, hated Dot Dot Dot. I'm shocked they got through.

Courtesy of: REALITY TV MAGAZINE

The Next Great American Band - Franklin Bridge And Sixwire Early Favorites

franklinbridgetangledupinblue.jpg

On the second episode of The Next Great American Band, the top twelve bands performed two songs each in front of the judges. One of the songs was an original composition and the other song was a song by Bob Dylan.

Denver & The Mile High Ochestra performed Bob Dylan

oh man! I was wanting to see this program and haven't got to watch

yet! I hope I can start watching and catch-up reading the post here!

I am really loving the Clark Brothers. And Tres Bien did a great job with Dylan's Subterranean Homesick Blues. There are only a couple that I really can't stand. The Rockets for obvious reasons. . . they suck. And Dot Dot Dot. I hated them from the first show and judge Ian Dickerson nailed it when he said "you

I finally got to see this show tonight! Some of the bands were pretty good....a couple I didn't care for at all. Will need to watch a couple of more times before I have a favorite. I thought Old #7 was pretty good (I love Bluegrass).

I thought the kids group Light of Doom was good. Dot-Dot-Dot was ok. I didn't care for Muggs or Rocket at all. JMHO

I cannot believe Rocket made it through this round. Who is voting for this mess of a band and why? I was also disappointed Dot Dot Dot made it. I think the same people who voted for Lukas Rossi on Rockstar Supernova are voting for Dot Dot Dot. They are the same rock 'n roll cliche.

Go Clark Bros.

Rocket and Muggs were not my faves....so glad they're gone!

I still like Light of Doom, Old #7, and Dot-Dot-Dot. I really liked the Clark Brothers last night.

Thanks Dade for updating! :)

It's a Fox network show (channel 5 in my area). Comes on at 8 pm on Friday. As with American Idol, I'm baffled by the public's choices. Tres Bien over Franklin Bridge? Yikes!

I'm still loving the Clark Brothers but I would love for them to get a drummer. It would open up their sound more.

TCS. . . you said you like Dot Dot Dot. Are you voting?

lol jersey.....I vote on all the voting reality shows when it gets down to the F3 or F4. Last couple of years on Idol I voted starting with the F6 or F5.

So I'll will def vote....I just wait closer to the end. I do like several of the bands. :)

by David Steed

Episode Recap: Top 6 Perform

Happy Thanksgiving everyone! I hope you all decided not to take a vacation this week simply because chatting with me is way too important to miss. No, no, no. Instead I

by David Steed

Episode Recap: Top 5 Perform

A long, long week has taken its toll on me. The long weeks usually mean that I can