Meerkat Manor

Katydidit

Oh, sob sob sob, yes.

Ya know, I pay no attention to all the heated debates about production interfering in reality shows in order to exert a specific outcome. I could care less as long as I am entertained.

Except for this show.

No other nature show, either.

Just this one show.

She could have been saved. "They" could have made it so it never happened.

It will be days before the lump stops jumping into my throat when I think of that last image of Flower.

She could have been saved.

Oh no! Flower died? I watched the show off and on last season. I was happy when Flower allowed that one daughter to come back to the group (can't remember her name).

So who's in charge of the Whiskers clan now? I know females are dominate, so who's stepping up?

Can't believe I'm so fascinated about a bunch of meerkats... :blush:

I guess I should have read the other posts, I would have seen that Rocket Dog is now the dominant female. :animated_scratchchin:

I guess I've missed quite a bit, to just now find out that both Flower and Mozart are dead (she was the one I was thinking of that was kicked out by Flower). Wikipedia has a good article about the show, and says that Flower was killed by a cobra defending her pups. I too wish the crew could have intervened and saved her. I've always disliked the whole not interfering with nature thing, but I guess it's done for a reason.

The article really shed some light for me on things I didn't know about the show. Like I didn't know it originated in the UK with Bill Nighy (from Pirates of the Caribbean) as the narrator. The show is also shown in Australia with an Aussie narrator and of course Sean Astin narrates the US version. I also didn't realize that there were several groups, not just the Whiskers and Lazuli and just looking at the members of each, it's confusing b/c the meerkats interchange or split and create sub groups as needed. And evidentally, tuberculosis is a common disease among meerkats. A few had to be put down b/c of it.

I think I'm going to start watching this show again. It won't be the same without Flower though, she was one bad mama!

Actually, Sharonda, it remains to be seen (in the new season) if Rocket Dog will be able to reclaim her position. The first episode is tonight, and looks to be about the squirrel as a keen enemy. It's a tad ironic that Flower let her daughter stay in the group, only to have it need Rocket Dog once again. I'm rooting for her.

And to Francis, I think that one of Flower's pups survived the cobra attack. Last show ended with one named Liz peering out from the hole.

Clips of shows, whole episodes, and an 8-minute tribute to Flower are on the Meerkat website. I think part of why I like them so much is that their facial movements remind me of the ferrets we used to have.

OK, I will admit it... I cried for a while after the Sean said that Flower died... I don't know how it happened, but both my husband and I have become attached to those furry little critters... It was just so sad... I like Rocket Dog too and hope that she will come into her own soon...

I went to Animal Planet's website and they have a Flower memorial thread that people are responding to. The network realized that her death could be traumatizing to viewers (especially kids) so they wanted to allow people to express themselves. A lot of people are upset that the researchers didn't intervene and help Flower. But as one person posted there, if they had done that, where would they draw the line? Would they have had to help the one male (Carlos) when his face was scarred and became infected? Or the numerous times various pups were in danger or when Kinkajou killed one of the litters? It's sad and tragic but it's nature.

They also mentioned on the website that a memorial is being released in 2008 about Flower in theaters called "Queen of the Meerkats". I also saw that commercial with the squirrel. That comes on tonight at 8:30. Should be interesting.

Okay, no squirrels yet. Instead we had Zaphod babysitting the den instead of his typical role as alpha male. How humiliating. I do hope he gets a chance to be 'studley' again - he deserves a better fate than this. And Rocket Dog easily slid back into her dominant role.

They replayed the final season's show before the first episode of the new season. I caught the ending -- that quick glimpse of swollen, dieing Flower -- and cried all over again. Sheeeeeesh. She's right up there with Bambi's mom!

My husband and I both were upset by the death of Flower. As my husband said, "I thought she was the best part of the show." We will miss her. We are waiting to see how things go now that Rocket Dog has taken over the lead spot in the Whiskers tribe.

I've grown a little partial to Mitch. He seems so good with the little one, Axle. First he brought him to Flower, and now it seems that Axle follows him like a big brother. It's too bad he can't become the dominant male in this group - I think he'd be great.

I saw the ep where Flower died (though I missed that actual scene) and started watching the new ep but didn't finish ( I was back and forth fixing dinner, etc), so I'll have to catch a repeat or watch it online. So did the squirrel ever show up?

I love Meerkat Manor! I'm so sad that Flower died. I wish that someone could

have stepped in and helped her. I also loved Mozart too. Just so sad!!!!!

Oh my gosh! I just sobbed when Flower died. It really upset me, funny how attached you can get to those cute little meerkats.

And Mitch is my favorite too. I love the way he's so caring and sweet with the little ones.

I hope Zaphod finds some new tribe, He was a wonderful dominant male. I also worry about him being a roving male. He might get hurt.

• 3 weeks later...

Aww, I hope not! I think it's a bit late for them to worry about human interaction. They weigh the meerkats every day and they will come and sit on their shoulders and every thing. (I saw the photos of it in National Geographic mag. very cute!)

I can't understand how they could not intervene though, especially when Lennie and Squiggy got lost and eaten, I so would have rescued those babies!

And when Flowers burrow was invaded by that snake, they filmed the dang snake going in!

I would have had to throw a stick or something! Couldn't have sat there and done nothing. (Guess that's why I'm a vet tech and not a docu-film maker)

Once again, I sobbed like a gidgiot when Mozart died. Poor baby just needed some snuggles.

(sheesh, I am tearing up again just thinking about it)

I like Rocketdog too, but way to go Maybelene! Looks like she may manage to branch off on her own after all. I did worry about the Zappas' pups when they were moving them though. But they all made it. (so far)

• 1 year later...

I loved the show too, but I think it sort of lost it's steam when flower got killed... I know she lived a long good life for a meerkat, but I do know that after she died, my husband wouldn't watch the show... He said he liked to watch her beat up the other meerkats LOL...