Episode 4.03: The Economist (Sayid-centric)

Dade

Courtesy of: SPOILERFIX

Episode 4.03: Title Unknown

Airdate: February 2008

• 09/11 - Dante: 40s, Italian businessman, knows the fun of a little competition, affable, friendly but with a secret. Must have an authentic Italian accent / speak some Italian. Source: Lost Spoilers

• 1 month later...

Airdate: February 2008

• 10/29 - Carlos, a journalist, reveals: The 1st page of what I read was the production sheet, call sheet or something named like that - I can't remember precisely the right term. In this page, you can find the episode's number and name - in this case, #403 - The Economist, but of course it can be a provisory title. [...] That's where I also got Ken Leugn's character name (Miles) and the information confirming that Jeremy Davies will play Faraday, and Rebecca Mader, Charlotte. That's where I also got the name Elsa, Sayid's girlfriend in his flashforward... The next pages were scripts for episode's scenes. And that's the most important information I could find there: "The Economist" will have Sayid as a main character, and will show his after-island life. We'll be in Germany, and his girlfriend is called Elsa. [...] She seemed very intrigued about Sayid's kinda secret job. He refuses to talk about it, even to her... On the island, there will be a scene in which some losties will go to "Othersville" and will notice some noises. Kate (not Juliet!) will realize that the noise is coming from a house - pointed in the script as Juliet's house, and she'll go and check it. Then, she notices that the sound is coming from the closet; and finally finds Hurley stuck inside. Locke and Sayid are disagreeing about the best way to discover more about the "new visitors": while Sayid wants to go to the ship with Charlotte and appears that she'll get a boat to get back to their HQ, Locke prefers to trust in Ben, who said that he's got a spy on the boat. [...] Freckles will want to go to somewhere - not mentioned on the excerpt I read - but Sawyer, even not wanting her to go, won't stop her; but will also show her his disappointment... Source: Lost Spoilers

• 2 months later...

Airdate: February 14, 2008

• 01/02 - [Episode 3] features a great ending and shooting and episode. Source: Lost Spoilers

• 1 month later...

Airdate: February 14, 2008

• 02/06 - In the Island's big game of capture the flag, Kate gets tagged out by the other team and sent to "jail." Lucky for her, she's in good with the jailer... Source: Kristin on E!Online
  • 02/03 - Naveen Andrews reveals: By the time you get to Episode 3, the [group's] split is kind of clearly defined. Source: TV Guide Online
  • 01/28 - Locke's hostage may be the key to getting off the island, so Sayid and Kate go in search of their fellow castaway in an attempt to negotiate a peaceful deal. Guest starring are Ken Leung as Miles, Jeremy Davies as Daniel Faraday, Rebecca Mader as Charlotte, Jeff Fahey as Frank Lapidus, Mira Furlan as Danielle Rousseau, Marsha Thomason as Naomi, Armando Pucci as Italian man and Thekla Reuten as Elsa. Source: ABC

Episode Three Sneak Peek clips- "The Economist"

I couldn't see where this thread was already made or I'm allowed to make it, but I wanted to talk about last night's episode!

The whole episode started off weird for me since it looked so unnatural to see Sayid golfing. :animated_rotfl:

Also noticed the dead girl and Naomi wearing the same bracelet. Looked for a screenshot and at least Naomi's bracelet says "N, I'll always be with you. RG" Who is RG?

The time difference thing was interesting esp the emphasis on going back on the exact heading they came in on. I remember Ben giving Michael and Walt an exact heading. Hmm... are they alive?

I saw the Sayid working for Ben thing coming. Though I know I'll change my mind again, it made me think that Ben may be in the coffin. ...with all those passports, his name not matching up in the newspaper would make sense.

Though I know I'll change my mind again, it made me think that Ben may be in the coffin. ...with all those passports, his name not matching up in the newspaper would make sense.

Nice catch! I hadn't thought of that before but it's a distinct possibility.

Regarding the bracelets- I don't think they were wearing the exact same bracelets, however, both were wearing bracelets. I've looked at the freeze-frame of Elsa's bracelet and it is impossible to tell whether they were the same bracelet or not. Naomi's had stud-like things on the outer part but I couldn't see any of these on Elsa's. Anyway, I still see the symbolic gestures by Sayid as meaning something...the way he closed both Naomi and Elsa's eyes and held their hand and looked at bracelet- although he didn't take Elsa's off. You'd think-since this was a flash-forward- that he would have taken Elsa's bracelet off and looked at it more closely if he thought that it was the same as Naomi's.

Other things I found interesting:

The fact that Ben was in a vet's office at the end. :animated_scratchchin: We know that animals were used by Ben and "the others" for experimentation. We know that a polar bear was found in, of all places, Tunisia- with a Dharma collar. Could their experiments involve teleportation and the polar bear found in Tunisia have been an experiment gone awry? Does Ben possess the knowledge of how to teleport correctly (explaining his suits, passports and money from different countries) and that is why "they" are after him? :animated_scratchchin: I'm just trying to put what pieces we have into the puzzle that is LOST. Who knows if they fit or not!

I thought it was interesting that Charlotte said she was staying because she "had work to do". Isn't that what "tall Walt" told Locke to get him to come out of the pit? And I think Ben or Patchy used that phrase before...and I can think of one other person as well.:animated_scratchchin:

Daniel's rocket- When he shot it off it was supposed to arrive in one minute, however, it arrived 31 minutes and 20 seconds later. We can figure this out because the rocket's time thingy said 3:16:23 (there are those numbers again!) and his station time thingy said 2:45:03. That would mean-I think- that the outside world is moving 31 min. faster than island time. So however the Oceanic Six make it back to civilization, if my hypothesis is correct, time will have gone by much faster than they thought. Maybe that is why they are going to be perceived as "celebrities"...people think that the Oceanic Six have survived on their own somehow for a very long time. This would also explain Walt being taller/older. Once again, I'm just trying to work with what we already know to try and piece this story out.

At first I HATED the fact that Sayid was working for Ben but after listening to the last part of the episode again, I realized that I had missed the crucial part- when Ben said to Sayid something about, "that's what you said/did last time when you used your heart instead of your gun. Do you want to protect them?" :animated_scratchchin: So what I'm getting out of this is that something horrible (that we haven't seen yet) must happen when Sayid trusts the freighter people and so Sayid is seeking to make things right and protect the people still on the island by being a killer for Ben, and that the people he's killing have a connection with the freighter people and Amadon(creepy black guy), perhaps. AHHH! my brain hurts. I do fear for Desmond though, because he's the only other islander with Sayid on the helicopter right now :unsure:.

Miles is now with Locke and Ben: I wonder if this means that we'll be able to witness more of Miles' "talents" being used...think of all the dead people that must be "walking" around on the island and what stories they would have to tell!

I was a little disappointed that Hurley went along with Locke's ruse. It just didn't fit his character.

And finally, two little flaws that bothered me (or were they flaws?): one was the fact that Locke pulls a gun on Sayid right outside the open door of Ben's secret room. Hurley (and others?) is/are also with Locke at the time. That means they would have had to have seen the secret room too or, at the very least, explored it afterwards. This just doesn't make sense to me...I still haven't figured out whether the writers don't want me thinking that hard or if there is something to this. The second flaw was the fact that when Frank is offering the third seat on the helicopter: we know Sayid and Desmond are going, but Jack refuses (because he's concerned about Kate?). Frank offers the final seat to Charlotte and Daniel, but they both refuse too. Sayid then suggests taking "Naomi home", which is what they finally do. My question is: why didn't they offer the seat to Juliette? Juliette had to have been there because she brought Desmond, but nothing is mentioned of her...weird.

All in all, another very good episode filled with LOTS of new pieces to the huge LOST puzzle!

Just a couple of things. First was future Sayid smoking hot or what?

Second I am just getting old or was some of the dialogue mumbly. There were two parts where even after rewinding and playing the dialogue again I still have no clue what they said.

The first instance was when Kate decided to go on the mission with Sayid and Miles. Sayid pulls her aside and I was not able to make sense of what Sayid or Kate said.

The second time was at the very end after Ben makes the comment about the last time he used his heart instead of his gun. It sounded like Sayid said " I know what I need to do now" but I am not sure.

Can anybody help me determine what they said.

Also as far as the time difference. I wonder if distance plays a part. Like the farther away from the island you are the more the time difference would be. Been a long time since I had to think of physics but I am pretty sure that distance does come into play.

Hey Kayo!

I watched a Dharma video once, in which that creepy scientist guy does an experiment with rabbits.

I think he teleported one not only from one place to another, but back into the recent past as well!

Nemille, I would transcribe the mumbling here for you, but I can't access the video online.

Only user in the USA can access videos at http://dynamic.abc.go.com/streaming/landing

(Too bad I can't remember what they said. I think I actually understood everything.)

Edited to add: (Found this at the ABC board.) Ben asks Sayid if he remembers the last time he thought with his heart instead of his gun and Sayid Bond replies "you used that to recruit me into killing for you".

(Sorry for double-posting!)

Source: http://www.docarzt.com/lost-news/lost-403-...ist-a-delet.php

By DocArzt on February 14, 2008 11:54 PM

I was delighted by a few key differences in the final version of The Economist vs the cut I was fortunate enough to see in advance of airing. For one thing, the time difference between the rocket and Daniel's timer was 31 minutes instead of 31 seconds, and we all know bigger is better.

Then there was the chilling exchange in the end. In earlier prints there was no mention of a separate incident where Sayid's heart fouled up plans. Nor was there a line "You want to protect your friends, don't you?" The result was a much more chilling and enigmatic scene.

There was one scene that involved Miles, Kate, and Sayid arriving at the perimeter fence though that was extremely interesting. I was surprised to see it cut, so I decided to transcribe it for you here:

deletedscenehu6.jpg

Fence Scene

From "The Economist"

MILES

What is this?

SAYID

A Security fence. When activated, the pylons

emit a high pitch frequency that will kill anyone

who passes through it. We used a tree to climb...

MILES raises his hand towards Sayid. He seems to hear something.

MILES

SHHHHHHHHH!!!

SAYID stops and watches MILES as he scans the surroundings, listening intently.

SAYID (Sarcastic)

I'm sorry, are we supposed to be

hearing something?

A beat passes and MILES is suddenly aware that SAYID had spoken to him.

MILES

I'm sorry, what?

KATE is examining the control panel.

KATE

Maybe I can shut it off.

SAYID joins her, bending over to examine the panel.

SAYID

And, how might you do that?

KATE

I saw Juliet do it once.

SAYID (Doubtful)

Without the code?

ANGLE ON MILES. He continues to scan with a slight twitch, similar to when we saw him reading the boys room in Confirmed Dead. Suddenly he walks through the pylons and turns towards an astonished KATE and SAYID.

MILES

Hey, I don't think its on.

KATE

And how did you know that?

MILES

Lucky guess.

MILES turns and walks away. SAYID and KATE exchange puzzled glances and proceed after him.

--------------------------------

The last scene of 'The Economist' was a pet hospital somewhere in Germany. Look closely at the screencap. What in this picture looks the same? Is there orchid station and its unique cloning more than rabbits?

s4ep0316thumb350x196iv6.jpg

Courtesy of: TV GUIDE, TV SHOW BLOGS

Lost

by Trish Wethman

Episode Recap: The Economist

Happy Valentine

The first instance was when Kate decided to go on the mission with Sayid and Miles. Sayid pulls her aside and I was not able to make sense of what Sayid or Kate said.

I'll to watch it again and let you know, Nemille...I can't remember what was said between them!

BuxomB-

The rabbit experiment video was actually the one I was referring to but I wasn't sure if that would be considered a spoiler or not (I'm still hesitant on this) since it was a little special clip for season 4 released online between season 3 and 4 . I'm pretty sure that those who avoid spoilers wouldn't have seen it so I thought I'd better not mention it in a non-spoiler thread. I may be wrong on this though, so correct me if I am! I just thought it might be safer to put mention of this in spoiler box...hope you don't mind.

Thanks so much for the DocArzt "deleted scene"- pretty cool! I wish they'd kept them in.

What ever happened to the kids on the plane? We haven't seen them in awhile or that flight attendant that served Jack a drink.

Also, how can they be XX minutes ahead/behind (terrible memory) in time yet have a real time phone conversation? How does that work? I would think that would be hard.

Damon and Carlotn comment on "The Economist":

Source: Doc Jenkins, Entertainment Weekly

DAMON LINDELOF: I got some e-mails from people who wondered if there was a connection between Naomi's bracelet and the bracelet worn by the woman Sayid killed in his flash-forward. There is no connective tissue. Sometimes a bracelet is just a bracelet. We just thought it would be a cool emotional touchstone for Sayid; Elsa's bracelet reminds him of Naomi. But some people interpreted that, ''Is there something more there?'' We might need to address that.

CUSE: But this is a commentary on how the flash-forwards work. We were very concerned if the flash-forwards would have the same emotional resonance as flashbacks because people naturally, easily understand flashback storytelling as a device. The bracelet is one example of where people, I think, can get lost.

DOC JENSEN: Some people are even wondering if the flash-forward stories in each episode are being presented chronologically. For example, did the opening sequence of Sayid's flash-forward

Living Room

Living Room

Please enter your display name