Series Premiers

Fuskie

Here is my instant reaction to Monday night's series debuts of Chuck and Journeyman. Entirely unoriginal. Chuck is a rip-off of Jake 2.0 which is a rip-off of shows going back as far as Scarecrow & Mrs. King in which a everyday housewife gets sucked into the spy world. Journeyman reads Quantum Leap except that the time traveler moves back and forth instead of being stuck in time until they complete their mission. Not a great start for staking a claim to new and unique prime time programming.

Fuskie

Who wants to know if you agree or disagree...

I thought Chuck had the Jimmy Fallon attraction, but I cannot see it going past 2 seasons. At some point, they are going to have to write a more involved story. I thought the process of explaining how Chuck knows everything was on one hand cinematically appealing, at the same time horribly implausible. Not that a story has to be believable for the series to be successful, but with dramas like The Unit, 24 and NCSI, a spy comedy has to have a little more meat or at least a better bite. But I enjoyed the first episode and I will continue to watch until the motorcycle completely jumps over the shark.

I didn

I tried to watch chuck but couldnt make it past the first 3 mins. I don't like seeing people playing normal humans but have superhuman abilities. Like running on walls and jumping through windows, etc... And as person with a computer backround, its always insulting to see this imagined high tech hacking rediculous crap portrayed on tv and in movies.

I did watch journeyman and thought it was decent. Although it does look like a ripoff of Quantum Leap, it seems to have its own feel to it. I dont think there are that many original ideas left out there. Sometimes you just have to be glad its not another reality show (oops, probably not the right forum for that comment).

Premiers Take II

Bionic Woman. No Oscar Goldman. No Rudy Wells. No Steve Austin. No bionic dog. OK, I can live without Steve Austin. But this $50m woman seems to be taking an old story and plugging it into an even older formula. Here's the new model, less evil than the old model. Can't say I've ever seen that on TV before. And no signature sound effect when the bionics are put through their paces. I am trying to figure out what the difference is between this show and Chuck. Maybe they share the same writers. What made the original Bionic Woman work was that the world in which she lived was real. The kid sister, who is under some kind of computer restraining order, just flip flops between nannies? Get real.

Life. I feel I should be sentenced for watching this show. Guy gets framed for a triple homicide, spends 12 years in jail, gets cleared, sues (who and on what grounds), wins the lotto with his crack lawyer, and zens his way through getting his job back. And then he doesn't know what a cell phone or IM is? Sorry, we were not that backwards back in 1995. They had car phones back then. And hey lady partner, why don't you tape your boss trying to get you to frame your partner AGAIN. Then you can get some leverage on your own. This commentary was sponsored by Dole, your fresh fruit source.

Reaper. Slacker adult kid finds his parents sold his soul to the devil and becomes a reaper at age 21. But working for the devil is OK, when all you have to do is capture escaped hellhounds in a Dirt Devil and take them to the DMV for neumatic descension. This from the same network that brought you Supernatural, proving you can take a great concept and completely turn it around. And the amazing thing is that not only he but his slacker friends seem OK with all of this. If you want to see how to do a show about the dear departed, check out Showtime's Dead Like Me (sometimes on Sci Fi syndication). That show knew how to do morbid zamboni humor the right way.

Fuskie

Who sometimes wonders if Hollywood writers really are smarter than a 5th grader...

I liked Life, up until my local cable provider decided to run the fax sound for the last half. But then again, the main actor will always, ALWAYS by Lt. Winters from Band of Brothers (if you have not watched that series or read the book take my advice: GO DO IT RIGHT NOW!!).

But I like the new cop drama like I liked Jeff Goldbloom's (sp?) Raines and Burn Notice. It has a different cinematographic feel compared to L&O's and CSI's. But then again, I'm always hoping NBC will find it's next Hill Street Blues.

Either you and I have the same local cable operator or it the blame lies up the line somewhere.

Fuskie

Who finally got the close captioning working in time for the audio problems to be resolved...

• 3 weeks later...