Sign in to follow this  
Scuba

Big Bang Theory

Scuba I totally agree. I love Sheldon. I can't believe it would be on a "needs to be canceled" list. I've had a lot of laugh out loud moments with this show, already. Sheldon usually being the source. :)

its on the cancellation list?! say it isn't so!!!!

I tried to find the article again, but no luck. I don't think it was anything official. Just some jerk's opinion.

yeah that's penny from 8 simple rules..she was also on charmed for a while

I don't agree it all. I think the show is good. It takes a lot to make me laugh out loud at a tv show, and this show does it. I like How I Met Your Mother, but I would have much rather they canceled HIMYM than The Class. That cancellation really bummed me out.

I've never watched any of the other shows this person reviewed, so I don't know if that's the only review I disagree with.

Ok who stuck with the show long enough to read "Chuck Lorre Productions, #193"?

This is first time I have seen this trick, clearly playing to hard core fans. Great stuff. :animated_bouncy:

At the moment I find Sheldon a bit too much. A little of his character goes a long way, and it doesn't take much to become annoying. I do like Sheldon and Penny interaction because Penny does a good job of handling Sheldon. I guess I am afraid Sheldon will become another "Dr. Smith", and I hate "Dr. Smith".

who is Dr. Smith?

i love sheldon and his antics. he's sooooooo OCD its too funny! the whole couch thing still cracks me up.

loved last nite's episode. they do really well with this show!

Dr Smith... Lost in Space.

I didnt see last nights episode, but I have it recorded. I heard it was good.

Yes, I was referring to Dr. Smith of Lost in Space.

Not suggesting Sheldon is a similar character. I am concerned that they will make Sheldon more and more obnoxious and more the center of show. I think Sheldon is better as a supporting character than a central one. One reason Seinfeld worked so well was that all the wacko characters were held in check and Jerry remained at the center. Lenard is somewhat like Jerry in that respect.

I see what you're saying echo, but why is Sheldon a supporting character? My view is both Sheldon and Leonard are main characters. Penny is a key supporting character and everyone else is just supporting characters. In comparison to Seinfeld, like you said, Leonard is Jerry Sheldon is George, but both characters are pivotal. The show could do an episode without Kramer or Elaine, but you need Jerry and George.

If the series makes it to a 2nd & 3rd season, they likely will find a good balance. It not uncommon for a series' early episodes not be as well written and acted than after the series discovers the right balance.

It could become more ensemble cast like Friends in that no single character is at the center, I could see the series going in that direction too. Sheldon is funny, but unless kept in check, or has a good foil (like Penny), the character could be another Dr. Smith or Jerry Lewis's trade mark act. Lewis was OK when he had Dean Martin, but without him, it was way too much. In last night episode, it was the Sheldon-Penny stuff that I thought was very funny.

Frank Burns on MASH is a good example of character that could have been over the top, but the chracter was well written and acted, and had several foils.

Ok who stuck with the show long enough to read "Chuck Lorre Productions, #193"?

This is first time I have seen this trick, clearly playing to hard core fans. Great stuff. :animated_bouncy:

What trick? :lookaround:

I agree too. I love the Penny/Sheldon exchanges. She's so good with him. There were a lot of LOL moments for me last night with the two of them.

Lynnmurr wrote:

What trick?
:lookaround:

At the very end they have they flash a note on the screen that you can't read. They know that ALL geeks that watch the show have DVRs and will pause their DVR to read the note. The note last night was, more-or-less, saying "Geeks that watch the show and spend their time pausing their DVR to read things, need to get out more and meet people and develop a social life". It actually a long paragraph of comments and pretty funny. I think they have a different note a the end of each show.

I noticed that about a month ago on two and a half men, which is also produced by Chuck Lorre.

Oh boy Echo, I wish I would have noticed that. I watch both Big Bang and Two and a Half Men. I also am a DVR junkie. I gotta check that out next week. Thanks for letting me in on the secret. :D

I paused it I think the first week and didn't find it that funny. I don't remember what it said, but anyway I paused this last one and it was funny. So I will be a geek and probably pause the rest.

BBT is hilarious. How long can they keep the geek joke going though? They did paintball, costumes, comics, video games, LoTR... Seems they will run out of stuff soon to make fun of.

i think after awhile they'll not have to play it up as hard. they'll settle into their nuances and then it will be normal living

okay, penny spiking sheldon's diet coke was a riot!

Last's night episode was the best I have seen so far. I even liked Sheldon quite a bit in this episode. The Penny-Sheldon stuff very very funny.

Wow, I thought last night's show wasn't as funny as previous eps. I liked it, and BBT is now a can't miss thing for me. I just didn't get as many RFOL's as I have in previous episodes. I guess what I don't like is drunk humor. Its been done and done and done.

Does anybody else have an urge to rent Fiddler on the Roof after seeing last nights show?

you don't think it was just because of thanksgiving week?