Council Members

Ryomi

I figured with the main characters already set (obviously because out of 40, they focused on maybe 15 if not only 10) i would make a thread on the council members.

MIKE

First off, i've had leadership training and this kid is not a leader. To the bone he is only wanting to yell at the kids and that tells me he is getting teased at school and maybe got some hardcore parents that he feels that he can't live up to expectations with. He came into this show from the very beginning trying to be the star... trying to stand out for the cameras (like parents told him to so he can become a star). He's like the actor that cares more about how he looks for the camera than his quality of acting.

Leadership problems:

1. Can't take constructive criticism. When the Greg the 15 yr old came up to him and only told him that he needed to take control, mike lost his cool and control.... something you never do if you plan for people to follow your word and respect it.

2. Started off not doing work and trying to be the promo boy by waving his arms and saying "lets go kids". Must gain respect before you enforce it.

3. This kid is more out to be camera hungry and more happy to be in power than he is to build the town.

Prediction... Mike will be voted off the council (if they do that. The host did say that the council members can change) and then he will choose to leave because he won't be able to handle his own failure nor be told what to do.

Taylor the Beauty Queen

If anyone has a problem with this show then they better have a problem with kiddie pagents or as i like to call them, pedophile stripper shows.

Leadership Problems:

1. Not willing to do more even if its against what she thinks is right ... i quote "Pagent Girls don't do dishes" WTF? Obviously her manicure is more important than not getting disease from dirty dishes. As soon as her team was called out in the meeting, she quickly turned into a finger pointing bitch. instead of standing up for her team, she took it personally and started saying things that weren't even true about the gold star winner girl (can't remember right now). She's the prom queen in high school... if you don't have praise to offer for her, then she'll be evil to you.

2. She'll never accept responsability. She'll take the leadership role but just for comfort.

The other two are good... reserved, confident, caring and leaders by example.

Sophia, Greg or the other Michael should be given their shot at being on the council... greg not so much because he's cocky but he is older and he can put some respect into the kids faster because he's older and a more dominating person.

Discuss

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think you are reading way to much into things. I do not know what the criteria was for selecting these four as the initial Town Council, but to expect them to carry the leadership qualities of an adult is a bit much.

Fuskie

Who thinks they did pretty good for being tossed in the deep end...

Ryomi, after reading what you wrote, I am wondering if you intended that to be a satire review. I say this because we're are talking about kids on a reality TV show who are simply role playing for TV cameras, and if I didn't know in advance what you were writing about, I'd say you were talking about the professional failings of college educated adults not qualified for their jobs.

Can you clarify if you are serious? I honestly can't tell :)

Welcome to Mortys and wow what a first post!!

Although there's a good amount I agree with, I think their ages play a tremendous a part of their behavior. I'm also very interested in why those four were originally chosen. From watching the first episode, Taylor doesn't seem like a cross section, but an extreme and Mike, IMO, does appear to be playing more of a role than trying to be a leader. I think when he couldn

not satire... just an in depth look at the show.

If this was supposed to be about kids having FUN it would be on Nickelodeon!

Imagine if your kid was in the group and being ran by these leaders, then what would you have to say about them?

if this was going on at your kids school, you would have choice words for these kids as well.

I'm not going to give any posts about the kids being cute and how much fun this is for them... no. I won't. This is a contest and should be looked at as one.

THIS IS A SOCIAL EXPERIMENT (done the tv way but still you get insight on how well kids work together when they are different in every way, kind of like LIFE ya know) ITS NOT SLEEP AWAY CAMP!

Thanks for the warm welcome, i'll be here all year!

Ultimately i feel that this show is more of a view of how parents have raised their kids. You get them all in this show...

Lazy

Strong working

insecure

egotistical

etc.

This really shows more about the parents then it does these kids. You can tell sophia must have a single parent with only her mom. you can tell she does chores at home without having to be asked and she will likely be working her own job by 16. Because she's willing to help out, and wants things to get done, makes her a hard worker that is a very grounded individual.

Pagent queen gets whatever she wants... and is pampered by her mother so that mommy can show her off. This girl hasn't done a days work until this show and will be the next to leave. As much as she likes the TV spotlight, she won't be able to handle work for too long, unless she gets others to do it for her.

This is what i'm looking at and thats how i roll.

so go for it... say it... THEY'RE JUST KIDS... when i was a kid i worked my ass off every summer and did house work all year long. I was brought up old school in a strict household. i have a great work ethic because of it. I was always taught to look to yourself for the problems around you before pointing fingers at the rest of the kids. If most of these kids had my parents, they would be a bit more mature and reserved. Yes you can teach that at an early age. and BTW food for thought... these kids will be funding our social security checks very soon!

Yeah when Taylor said "Pagent Girls don't do dishes" - I was like - uh, not a leader. Granted, she is ten - but why was she picked for this position? And I was equally appalled by Mike, who wasn't lifting a finger to help cart the stuff back to the town. Where did he get his leadership XP from? I think both of these two may get booted.

It will be interesting. I can say I do not think In would let my 8,9, or 10 year old do this.

They don't get "booted". They can leave if they want but there isn't a "someone goes home" theme to this show.

Interestingly enough, my 5 and 8 year old boys LOVED the first episode. It was a good time to talk about the scenarios with them and what *they* would do in that situation. Lots of great conversation starters!

Princess: Booted means, booted from the council. Thats all. Not off the island like in survivor, but booted off of "leader" status.

Echo: No need to apologize. If my responses sound angry, then i apologize. This is the first show that i've been able to get passionate about for the reason of it shows how parents are failing to teach their kids leadership and social skills in the home. They'd rather kick em onto a playstation.

I really don't like the concept of Kids Nation, this to me is not the best idea for a reality show. That is just one person thoughts that this concept almost feels that they are exploiting these kids.

Always possible. In what ways do you see them being exploited, or could be exploited? Just curious as to how you see it. :)

...WTF? Obviously her manicure is more important than not getting disease from dirty dishes. As soon as her team was called out in the meeting, she quickly turned into a finger pointing bitch.

My daughter's teacher called her a name like that, I'd slap her.

Buh-bye

You guys are making it very difficult to invite kids to this forum. Parents want to review the threads before letting their kids discuss Kid Nation, and will not allow their children near Morty's when they read adult language. I realize it is a lot to ask, but since this is a show about kids, let's make Morty's a welcoming place for kids, at least in respect to this forum.

Fuskie

Who had been thinking of inviting some of the kids from Kid Nation to come to Morty's but is concerned that they might have been better protected back in Bonanza City...

Baron I agree ~ I think I will watch the show some more to see if it is worth it but I am not going to be commenting. I will just come here and read but I just don't feel right making comments regarding children.

As I have stated else where, if a child on the show is made to looked flawed, like self-centered, I'm pretty confident it is only so that later that same child will shown learning a lesson about why being self-centered is not a good thing. No kid on this show will be left with a negative image. They all will be ultimately shown as good, but not perfect, kids. As the show progresses, the kids will learn many different kinds of lessons. Honestly, friendship, hard work, co-operation, teamwork, compromise, etc, etc,

Echo, are YOU serious? Do you truly believe there is no such thing as a bad kid it's only adults that make them that way? If you have children, do you spoil them rotten? I'm trying very hard not to attack you personally, as you have done in this forum to Ryomi, and just discuss this. Your comments, in my opinion, are just a type of trolling. If you disagree with Ryomi saying what she did, you could have simply said so instead of resorting to name calling yourself.

It rankles me to no end that people are so incredibly sensitive. People in America appear to have decided that children are fragile little things that will break at the slightest pressure and must be treated like they are made of glass or something and placed on shelf to be admired and fawned over.

Yes, chidren are precious, but they are human. There are bad children, spoiled children, good children, helpful children, and evil children. Just as there are adults. It astounds me that so many people who scream about protecting children want to feed bad adults to the lions. Weren't those adults children once? It can't be their fault they act the way they do, it must be their parents and the way they were raised. There shouldn't be personal accountability. (sarcasm, btw)

Taylor is a disrespectful little princess. If I were her teacher and heard her talking to her classmates the way she talks to the other kids I would send her to the principal's office in a heartbeat. But I guess we should never, ever, under any circumstances correct children's behavior though. After all, it's not their fault. They are kids. (sarcasm again)

It's a show. A freaking television show. These kids are on television. If I want to say I think Mike is a lousy leader and needs to be voted off the council I am going to say it. If I want to come on a forum about a television show and discuss the actions of the kids on the show I'm going to do it. If Morty and the mods want to kick me off for that, so be it, but then why have the forum?

Mods, when he answers and flames me the way he did Ryomi I will do my best to be polite, but I can't promise it. I should be able to defend myself against personal attacks. We are supposed to be discussing the show and what we think of it, as Ryomi did, not crying about someone's opinion of a kid on the show.

Port... first off, i'm a man. Its ok, you didn't know any better. Ryomi=Ryan+Iommi(black sabbath) btw. Again, thanks for the support. For the past week i've been defending myself with no end. The only friend i had is francis (great person). Like i've said before, its good to critique the actions of any child. Thats why psych doctors recognize psychopathic tendencies with kids as little as 5 years old when they abuse or attack animals in joy. The world is a huge place with lots of different people in it. Are the kids in this show the worst of the worst? NO. They are actually some of the best kids in the nation compared to the 12 year olds we see on the Maury Povich show! (saw episode where a 12 year old sold herself for a cheeseburger. Maury always seems fake to me, but some friends of mine swear to know people like the ones in springer and maury).

words of wisdom for these kids:

intelligent decisions can only be made when the decider (ha ha) studies both sides of an issue equally without bias.

Discretion is the better part of valor

Before actions or words, remember two things.... Audience and Purpose

I learned these in 4th grade when i was nine and they have stuck with me till this very day and i feel that the world would be a better place if children learned these 3 values. You see what i mean in the show. Some kids do those 3, while others don't seem to ever be that way... thats what makes the world go round.

I am cleaning this thread, so it's going to be closed for a little while... If your posts disappear it's either because you were flaming or baiting, or you replied to someone that was flaming or bating...

Lets please remember that this is a show about kids, please don't call each other names... We are adults and don't need to call each other names to state our opinions...

OK So now this thread is cleaned, and I am going to re-open it, but be warned that if the sort of thing that got it closed before continues, I will close it for good...

I don't perceive any of the kids on the council, or any of the others, are bad. In my reality there is no such a thing as a "Bad" kid, yet all kids exhibit bad behavior for all kinds of reasons. The show is edited very intentionally to expose some bad behavior as a way to create tention in the show.

The show is edited very intentionally to expose some bad behavior as a way to create tention in the show.

edited to SHOW the bad behavior, not CREATE it. The kids create their own behavior. Cameras can lie, but in this thread where the council members leadership abilities are questioned instead of their behavior, i feel the camera is showing what we need to see.

This is what i'm trying to accomplish with this thread. Are the council members in play now, the best leaders?