Melanie Brown and Maksim Chmerkovskiy

01.jpg

Melanie Brown

PROFESSION:

Singer, member of Spice Girls

PARTNER:

Maksim Chmerkovskiy

BACKGROUND:

Melanie Brown is best known for being "Scary Spice," one of the members of the girl band, Spice Girls. Their first single, "Wannabe" was released in 1996 and established the group as a phenomenon worldwide. The Spice Girls went on to release three studio albums and ten singles, selling over 55 million records worldwide. Brown's first solo debut album, Hot, was released October of 2000 followed by LA State of Mind in June 2005.

From 2001 2004, Brown took a break from recording and starred as "Mimi" in the Broadway musical Rent. She also performed in Vagina Monologues in London.

In June 2007, after much speculation, plans were announced for a Spice Girls worldwide reunion tour kicking off on December 2, 2007.

Brown has two daughters and is married to longtime friend and movie producer, Stephen Belafonte.

01.jpg

Maksim Chmerkovskiy

ACHIEVEMENTS:

2005 Yankee Classic Professional Latin Champion

2004 Manhattan Dancesport Professional Latin Champion

2003 Ohio Star Ball Latin Champion

Ranked 2nd in the US

CELEBRITY PARTNER:

Melanie Brown

STATS:

Style: Latin

Nationality: Russian

Based in: New Jersey

BACKGROUND:

During Season 2, Maks and his partner actress Tia Carrere finished in 6th place. In Season 3, Maks partnered singer Willa Ford into 7th place. Maks made it to the finals in Season 4 with Boxing Champion Laila Ali, finishing in 3rd place.

Maksim was introduced to the world of ballroom dancing at an early age when his parents brought him to a local ballroom dance school in Odessa, Ukraine. He quickly excelled in ballroom dance and the school became his home away from home.

As a teenager, Maks had a horrible skiing accident that nearly ripped his leg off and left him hospitalized for months. After many surgeries and the insertion of a 12 inch metal rod, doctors were skeptical that Maks would ever walk without a limp, let alone dance. After completing months of physical therapy, he was back on his own two feet walking, running, and dancing. Soon after, Maks established himself as the top dancer in Ukraine.

In 1994 the entire Chmerkovskiy family moved to Brooklyn, NY in order to start a new life and to give Maks and his brother a better atmosphere to grow and succeed in. The vision of the American Dream and his passion for ballroom dancing gave Maks the strength to fight through all of the obstacles that faced him and his family. He worked countless hours on his dancing and soon after emerged as one of the best dancers in the world.

Maks started the Rising Stars Dance Academy, which is the premier youth ballroom dance school in the United States. He is currently a board member for the non profit organization DanceTeamUSA, which works hard to promote DanceSport amongst the youth of America. Maks also has a production company, "Maksim Chmerkovskiy Productions," which organizes performances all over the world.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

I had no interest in the Spice Girls so my only exposure to Mel B was the recent events of the Eddie Murphy paternity thing. I find myself enjoying watching this couple more and more each week. I don't think they deserved to be in the bottom 2 this week. I might have to direct my allotted number of votes to her. She obviously needs them.

So what is the Eddie Murphy paternity thing?

I don't think Mel B has improved as much as some of the others but she did not deserve to be in the bottom 2. That is the way it usually goes though in the beginning weeks.

I liked the Spice girls first CD but after that I didn't really follow. I used to shuttle my daughter and a bunch of girls to soccer games and they would play the Spice girls music a lot. I love it.

I have to say in the end I am always happy with the winner even if the votes seem wacky in the beginning.

She was dating Eddie Murphy when she got pregnant. He dropped her like a hot potato and would not admit to being the father. After the birth, the paternity test results revealed that Eddie was indeed the father. She has since married someone else.

Before Dancing With The Stars I had no idea what a great personality she has. She's the one female celebrity on the show who I think I would enjoy hanging out with. She seems fun.

I have to say in the end I am always happy with the winner even if the votes seem wacky in the beginning

I am usually happy with the results also. In the beginning it is a bit of a popularity contest but when they really can't dance it is so obvious they usually do end up going. Those that do last get better each week (and lose weight too!)

While it doesn't influence who I want to win later on, I do cheer for Maksim simply because he is from the Ukraine, like my daughter. I wonder if his dance connections helped his family to leave. I know when I was there I was asked by a number of people if I knew of any way to help their sons or daughters leave to get a better life. A lot of poverty and corruption there.

Max and Cheryl have always been the two pros I can't wait to see on the floor. WIth Cheryl gone, Max is the only one of the pros I can't wait to see. Edyta has certainly grown on me over the seasons, especially the anticipation of what she will be wearing. Julianne is also lovely and graceful.

I thought the pre-dance clip of M & M's week of practice was very interesting. He doesn't take any crap from the "stars". He's threatened to walk out of practice on them before, but last night was the first time I've actually seen him do it.

I have it recorded and should re-watch it, but from what I saw, Mel is the best looking spice girl, by far now. The others are showing their age a bit, which is just fine. And that posh girl is just odd-looking, and getting odder all the time. Melanie looks gorgeous -- so much more so than when the Spice girls were 'hot'. Not that I was a fan or anything, mind you, but it was hard to not pay any attention to them. They were everywhere!

• 2 weeks later...

If I have to root these 2 on by myself, I'll gladly do it. Great pasa doble. Mel looked absolutely beautiful in that black outfit. Max always looks great. This team, more than any other, make me look forward to Monday night.

You know juv, I never thought about that aspect of it. Everyone was rooting for Cheryl Burke after her win with Drew Lachey and during her back-to-back win with Emmet Smith but I've yet to see that same attention given to the male professionals on this board.

GO MAX!

They do seem to suit one another, but there is just something about MelB's dancing that I don't enjoy. Therefore, I don't and won't vote for her, no matter how many 10's the judges give her. If that's wrong, then I'm wrong, but it's the way it is.

Living Room

Living Room

Please enter your display name